Jordan Love signed to 4 year fully guaranteed deal

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense as the Packers would save a minimum amount of cap space for the 2021 season while moving from a HOF quarterback to a completely unproven starter though.
but they'd be done with his contract totally. it's not like they're on the doorstep of a SB. they just need to get it over with. with all the guys they need to extend having a QB eat up 18%+ of the 2021 cap is unworkable. do you want to push money back again (to make a little cap room for 2021) and eat up the cap savings of 2022 (delaying the cap windfall another year)? he's trending down but was "good" last year. i don't have any reason to expect the trend to reverse though which makes his cap hit harder to swallow. teams move on to unproven starting QB's all the time. they have a much better chance when they have a decent team around them...which they should have in 2021 and should be much better in 2022 (when/if they get the cap windfall that offseason).

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team is going to be better in 2021 and 2022 with an unproven QB... Can I borrow your crystal ball?

D

Deleted member 6794

but they'd be done with his contract totally. it's not like they're on the doorstep of a SB.

It's mind-boggling that you continue to ignore the fact that the Packers were on the doorstep of making it to the Super Bowl last season. While I would love to have a starting quarterback on a rookie contract it doesn't make any sense to move on from Rodgers just for the sake of it with absolutely no evidence that Love can adequately replace him.

teams move on to unproven starting QB's all the time.

Really??? Please name at least one team that has released a future HOF quarterback with three years left on his contract to start an unproven one.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but they'd be done with his contract totally. it's not like they're on the doorstep of a SB. they just need to get it over with. with all the guys they need to extend having a QB eat up 18%+ of the 2021 cap is unworkable. do you want to push money back again (to make a little cap room for 2021) and eat up the cap savings of 2022 (delaying the cap windfall another year)? he's trending down but was "good" last year. i don't have any reason to expect the trend to reverse though which makes his cap hit harder to swallow. teams move on to unproven starting QB's all the time. they have a much better chance when they have a decent team around them...which they should have in 2021 and should be much better in 2022 (when/if they get the cap windfall that offseason).
Really? How would the Packers be better in 2022 with a qb who threw a lot of picks in the Mt. West conference, with only one proven WR?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The team is going to be better in 2021 and 2022 with an unproven QB... Can I borrow your crystal ball?
reread my sentence. i said the team around him should be decent (pretty good) in 2021 (at least as good as they are right now). they could actually be improved in 2020...we'll see. in 2022 the team around love should be even better because they'll have taken advantage of some of the $40+ million cap space windfall and signed more impact free agents.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really??? Please name at least one team that has released a future HOF quarterback with three years left on his contract to start an unproven one.
lol...you're adding caveats. that contract is the primary reason (at least as important as his attitude) that they'll move on from him. as i said teams move on to unproven QB's all the time. it's all about the situation he's put into. i think it will be a pretty darn good situation.
i think you're being emotional rather than realistic.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will need to pay Adams or Love might be throwing to a bunch of bums out there

D

Deleted member 6794

reread my sentence. i said the team around him should be decent (pretty good) in 2021 (at least as good as they are right now). they could actually be improved in 2020...we'll see. in 2022 the team around love should be even better because they'll have taken advantage of some of the $40+ million cap space windfall and signed more impact free agents.

With the quarterback position being by far the most important position on a football team it wouldn't matter much that the roster around Love is improved if he isn't up to the task.

lol...you're adding caveats. that contract is the primary reason (at least as important as his attitude) that they'll move on from him. as i said teams move on to unproven QB's all the time. it's all about the situation he's put into. i think it will be a pretty darn good situation.
i think you're being emotional rather than realistic.

Not surprisingly you dodged the question. I'm still waiting for you to name a team that has released a future HOF quarterback to transition to an unproven one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Why do people think the Packers are going to just suddenly cut ties with Aaron Rodgers? Did they cut Z Dog or Preston immediately after drafting Gary? Jordon Love is an investment in the future of the Green Bay Packers at a very important position that is currently occupied by a FHOF QB who's career is on the back half of the backside. Jordan Love has not taken an NFL snap yet. The transition from Rodgers to Love, if there is one, is not happening anytime soon.

If and when Jordan Love takes over AND the Packers move on from #12, a number of things must happen either in combination or on an extreme end.
  • 1st and foremost: Jordan Love has to prove that he is a starting QB in the NFL and a decent one at that. I don't expect this to happen in less than 2 years.
  • Aaron Rodgers: His level of play has to decline enough that Love is the better QB to go with due to talent and cost. I don't see Rodgers game in the quickly declining mode that some want to think it is in. If he sustains a major injury, this could change things and/or speed up the time table.
  • Trade Value: The Packers might find themselves with the ability to still get some decent draft value by trading Rodgers after this or next season. Again, this is dependent on the development of Love.
  • Packers Keep Winning: If the Packers keep winning under Rodgers, there really should be no reason to part ways, unless combinations of the above occur. Now if the Packers suddenly find themselves having back to back bad seasons, they might decide to go into rebuild mode and trading Rodgers while he still has some value might be the wise thing to do in that situation.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the quarterback position being by far the most important position on a football team it wouldn't matter much that the roster around Love is improved if he isn't up to the task.
if he totally sucks no but they'll find that out. they'll have some clue by the time it's time to decide. if the cap's only 175 forget about it.

Not surprisingly you dodged the question. I'm still waiting for you to name a team that has released a future HOF quarterback to transition to an unproven one.
off the top of my head...packers-favre/rodgers. some retired denver-elway/griese dallas-aikman/carter rams-warner/leinart miami-marino/fiedler. i'm sure there are more. it's not so unusual. most qb's are unproven when they begin starting games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

if he totally sucks no but they'll find that out. they'll have some clue by the time it's time to decide.

Most likely Love won't receive any meaningful snap all season making it close to impossible for the Packers to make an educated guess on his outlook in the NFL.

off the top of my head...packers-favre/rodgers. some retired denver-elway/griese dallas-aikman/carter rams-warner/leinart miami-marino/fiedler. i'm sure there are more. it's not so unusual. most qb's are unproven when they begin starting games.

That's not what we were talking about. Of course teams have moved on from HOF quarterbacks for various reasons but none was that crazy to outright release one of them with several years left on his contract to save some cap space to transition to a complete unproven starter.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Time to move on to the Jordan Love era so that we can win our one championship per quarterback.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way AR played this season, may the Texans would trade for him and pay his entire salary. Packers may be able to move on from AR without cutting him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The way AR played this season, may the Texans would trade for him and pay his entire salary. Packers may be able to move on from AR without cutting him.

Why? What do you gain? What would the Packers record be this year without Rodgers? The Packers just lost the NFCCG, they didn't go 3-13 and suddenly go into panic rebuild mode.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trading one megasalary for another wouldn't help the texans. rodgers wouldn't want to play there anyway. he sounded very down and uncertain about his future during his presser after the game. he's made similar references during the season. i think he kinda knows this was his last season in GB. his happy go lucky demeanor this season, and his great disappointment today, may be a result of that knowledge. retirement, traded with permission, or allowed to walk (and find his own deal) are very strong possibilities. all would benefit the Packers in clear and obvious ways. it's not going to be boring that's for sure. lol

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? What do you gain? What would the Packers record be this year without Rodgers? The Packers just lost the NFCCG, they didn't go 3-13 and suddenly go into panic rebuild mode.
They kind of are in a way. We have big time production players that are going to be gone next year and nobody on the roster to take their place. We have big holes that need filling now at DL, OL, DB and Lb'er and WR still. and we'll have no money to do it and are looking at cutting or restructuring and pushing money out to try and get a guy or 2 signed and rely on the draft.

Toss in a few injuries we haven't had the past 2 years or some unlucky bounces and where are we?

I think we wasted a grand opportunity again. This team is going need a lot of luck to even maintain what they have. I'm not seeing it. Sure Rodgers gives us our best chance, but this team needs help and i'm not sure we're going to get enough to help him. I thought we had a pretty decent chance to improve upon last year. I think this team is set up to take a big step back next year. unless they restructure a lot of money and are able to somehow keep a couple guys and get a couple more that end up producing big.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Time to move on to the Jordan Love era so that we can win our one championship per quarterback.
trading one megasalary for another wouldn't help the texans. rodgers wouldn't want to play there anyway. he sounded very down and uncertain about his future during his presser after the game. he's made similar references during the season. i think he kinda knows this was his last season in GB. his happy go lucky demeanor this season, and his great disappointment today, may be result of that knowledge. retirement, traded with permission, or allowed to walk (and find his own deal) are very strong possibilities. all would benefit the Packers in clear and obvious ways. it's not going to be boring that's for sure. lol
Enjoy 6 wins..... *****

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
allowed to walk (and find his own deal) are very strong possibilities. all would benefit the Packers in clear and obvious ways.

How would this benefit the Packers? His dead cap hit doesn't mysteriously disappear. You let him walk and get nothing? :rolleyes:

I mean I "slightly" understand trading him for a big cache of picks, if Gute feels the team will no longer be competitive. However, I'm not convinced that the sky just fell on the Packers future with Rodgers as their QB.

Would you people still be thinking this had the Packers won today but lost in the Super Bowl?

Breath Packer fans.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How would this benefit the Packers? His dead cap hit doesn't mysteriously disappear.

I mean I "slightly" understand trading him for a big cache of picks, if Gute feels the team will no longer be competitive. However, I'm not convinced that the sky just fell on the Packers future with Rodgers as their QB.

Would you people still be thinking this gad the Packers won today but lost in the Super Bowl?

Breath Packer fans.
It only benefits the future if they do it right. I think this team is headed backwards next year. No money, lots of production to replace and the draft isn't going to do it all. Plus we already have holes and the FA's haven't left and salary cap cuts made.

They're either at mortgage everything and hope for all the right moves for another year, or get started on the future. Rodgers is still good, but he's not good enough to overcome the rest of the teams deficits IMO next year.

We're probably looking at another DC, so there will be a learning curve there. I can easily see it taking 2 more years to get this team back in shape to be where we are now. What's Rodgers going to be then?

I think it's likely he's here another year, but I'm not going to be surprised if he's not.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I think we wasted a grand opportunity again. This team is going need a lot of luck to even maintain what they have. I'm not seeing it. Sure Rodgers gives us our best chance, but this team needs help and i'm not sure we're going to get enough to help him. I thought we had a pretty decent chance to improve upon last year. I think this team is set up to take a big step back next year. unless they restructure a lot of money and are able to somehow keep a couple guys and get a couple more that end up producing big.

Rodgers had an outstanding year by any metric and if not for some blown coverages the team could very well be going to the SB with effectively the same team as 2019. This is just the same crap that has been going on for years. The 2020 draft was about 2021 and beyond, not about improving the team in 2020. Now with the reduced cap that is probably in the $180M range the packers are going to about $28M over.

Here's the help from the offensive rookies through the Divisional Game.

Jordan Love - 0 Games / 0 Offensive snaps
AJ Dillon - 12 Games / 106 Off. Snaps
J. Deguara - 2 Games / 32 Snaps
S. Stepaniak 0 Games / 0 Snaps
Jake Hanson 0 Games / 0 Snaps
Jon Runyan - 17 Games / 160 Snaps

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers had an outstanding year by any metric and if not for some blown coverages the team could very well be going to the SB with effectively the same team as 2019. This is just the same crap that has been going on for years. The 2020 draft was about 2021 and beyond, not about improving the team in 2020. Now with the reduced cap that is probably in the $180M range the packers are going to about $28M over.

Here's the help from the offensive rookies through the Divisional Game.

Jordan Love - 0 Games / 0 Offensive snaps
AJ Dillon - 12 Games / 106 Off. Snaps
J. Deguara - 2 Games / 32 Snaps
S. Stepaniak 0 Games / 0 Snaps
Jake Hanson 0 Games / 0 Snaps
Jon Runyan - 17 Games / 160 Snaps
You're on to something. The 2020 draft was never about Rodgers, sadly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You're on to something. The 2020 draft was never about Rodgers, sadly.

Sadly, Gute and TT for too many years have over focused on improving the defense through the draft and free agency. Yet, we will still probably repeat and rinse that in 2021.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sadly, Gute and TT for too many years have over focused on improving the defense through the draft and free agency. Yet, we will still probably repeat and rinse that in 2021.
should they ignore it? Our defense still wasn't good enough to win. Our offense scored 26, not enough to win this one, but enough to win in this league most definitely. We played the try to outscore them game for a number of years in this league. it didn't work either.

Latest posts