JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Screw the tier two approach. I think the Packers are one tier one player anywhere on the defense (except maybe backing up Z and Gary) away from being a dominant defense. Even a top flight skill player would not be as an efficient use of cap space.

This is the primary reason why I struggle not going top flight CB and top flight LB in mock drafts...literally give this defense are surefire future stud in either (hit just one of the two) and I think it is scary the difference it could make.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the Cardinals have a decent team, but I also think JJ signing with them proves that money is more important than "playing for championships". We would all like to think that a guy like JJ would prefer to play his career out on a team that is a legit Super Bowl contender like our Packers, so that he can get that elusive SB Ring. But given the odds of landing on 1 of the 32 teams that does, is pretty slim, I would go where the money was at too. During his entire Pro Career he has never played past the Divisional Round, I don't see that changing much in Arizona.

Last edited:

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the primary reason why I struggle not going top flight CB and top flight LB in mock drafts...literally give this defense are surefire future stud in either (hit just one of the two) and I think it is scary the difference it could make.

Given those two options I'd prefer top flight LB, presumably ILB in the draft. I think there's going to be some bargains in the CB market, whereas maybe not with the FA ILB's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given those two options I'd prefer top flight LB, presumably ILB in the draft. I think there's going to be some bargains in the CB market, whereas maybe not with the FA ILB's.

I'm speaking to the draft, I'm counting on zero FA's outside of perhaps a Lane Taylor, Veldeer or Tramon type ones - unless we start slashing some players rather severely. Even if we did cut Preston, Lowry, Burks, Jackson and Funchess.....we still may only have like 3-5 Million to spend on FAs....

An Adams extension to clear some needs done ASAP

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If we want this defense to thrive, sign/draft corners, corners, corners.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we want this defense to thrive, sign/draft corners, corners, corners.

I disagree. We need DT's and inside linebackers who can rush the passer as well to "thrive". It wasn't the Bucs corners that pressured Rodgers time and time again. CB's can help with turnovers from the pass rush obviously, but it was the D-line and ILB's that Rodgers probably still has nightmares about.

We can't continue to ignore ILB or DT depth. Obviously, we need CB too with King presumably leaving, but the other positions need to be addressed.

ILB/OT/DT/CB all big needs going into the draft/FA.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I disagree. We need DT's and inside linebackers who can rush the passer as well to "thrive". It wasn't the Bucs corners that pressured Rodgers time and time again. CB's can help with turnovers from the pass rush obviously, but it was the D-line and ILB's that Rodgers probably still has nightmares about.

We can't continue to ignore ILB or DT depth. Obviously, we need CB too with King presumably leaving, but the other positions need to be addressed.

ILB/OT/DT/CB all big needs going into the draft/FA.

Yeah, I'm not advocating that the other positions be ignored. But corner needs to be priority #1 with a bullet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

This seems like the Packers mantra for so many years "Cornerbacks". How many high draft picks have we devoted to the damn position and we have Alexander to show for it. I would be more content at building a solid front seven and take my chances on Alexander, Savage, Amos and whomever. You can have the best CB's in the world and if you got nothing else, even those CB's are going to get beat. Build a strong front 7 and they just might make your secondary look like Pro Bowlers.

D

Deleted member 6794

We would all like to think that a guy like JJ would prefer to play his career out on a team that is a legit Super Bowl contender like our Packers, so that he can get that elusive SB Ring. But given the odds of landing on 1 of the 32 teams that does, is pretty slim, I would go where the money was at too.

Actually it's pretty easy to figure out that one team if you really care. Just sign whereever Brady is currently under contract.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'd be playing against Houston twice a year in TN... Maybe wasn't cool for him.

Either way, pretty clear this team isn't taking a player with an injury history and committing a lot of money unless they're coming at a relative discount.

What I find curious is he has to know Houston is a mess so wouldn't ya think he'd welcome playing against them twice a year instead of tangling with the Rams, 49ers and seachickens twice?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the Cardinals have a decent team, but I also think JJ signing with them proves that money is more important than "playing for championships". We would all like to think that a guy like JJ would prefer to play his career out on a team that is a legit Super Bowl contender like our Packers, so that he can get that elusive SB Ring. But given the odds of landing on 1 of the 32 teams that does, is pretty slim, I would go where the money was at too. During his entire Pro Career he has never played past the Divisional Round, I don't see that changing much in Arizona.

Lets face it, Watt in Green Bay was never going to happen. We were never going to pony up anything close to what other teams were going to offer and it was very unrealistic to expect him to give up that much just to play for us.

I'm not sure which teams that are really that much closer than the Cardinals were really in the hunt but I don't think he missed by much. I don't think the Cardinals are as far away as you think so as far as money talking more than winning I wouldn't say its by much.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lets face it, Watt in Green Bay was never going to happen. We were never going to pony up anything close to what other teams were going to offer and it was very unrealistic to expect him to give up that much just to play for us.

I'm not sure which teams that are really that much closer than the Cardinals were really in the hunt but I don't think he missed by much. I don't think the Cardinals are as far away as you think so as far as money talking more than winning I wouldn't say its by much.
I gave the Cardinals credit for being " a decent team", but yes, you and I might disagree on just how good they will be in 2022. Over the last 2 seasons 13-18-1, I guess nowhere to go but up? ;)

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You hate to see a high character guy like this go down as he's one of the great players and people in recent memory. In saying that his injuries were the reason why this contract was pretty crazy. One great season since his rookie contract expired in 2015 was never enough to warrant this type of money. Maybe he'll come here on the cheap next year (Sorry, had to do it!).

D

Deleted member 6794

You hate to see a high character guy like this go down as he's one of the great players and people in recent memory. In saying that his injuries were the reason why this contract was pretty crazy. One great season since his rookie contract expired in 2015 was never enough to warrant this type of money. Maybe he'll come here on the cheap next year (Sorry, had to do it!).

Watt proved this offseason that money is more important to him than playing for his home state team. I don't expect that to change next offseason if the Cardinals move on from him.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is Watt's fourth season ending injury in the past 6 seasons. I doubt he has even played half the games and in those he did play, his production is way down from his great first five years. I thought at the time, Arizona payed way too much for someone who is prone to injury. I'm glad Gute didn't overpay to get him in Green Bay.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not even a surprise. His brother is going to hit that same wall of injuries too. Just wait.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not even a surprise. His brother is going to hit that same wall of injuries too. Just wait.
So sayeth the clairvoyant Mondradamus. :) I hope it takes awhile to come true. I enjoy watching TJ Watt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So sayeth the clairvoyant Mondradamus. :) I hope it takes awhile to come true. I enjoy watching TJ Watt.
I like watching him too, but he probably has maybe this season left before things get pretty dicey for his connective tissue and ability to stay on the field.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but the other brother is going to stay healthy. You heard it here first.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JJ Watt was similar to wanting a used Ferrari. You get all excited about the name and what you know that it can do. You even tell yourself that you might be able to afford it because it's used. Then you get to the seller's house and find out that someone else paid way too much for it. You consider yourself lucky that you weren't the one that paid the price and move on.

I like Watt a lot, but never at the price that he got. Once again, a good non-move by Gutekunst. Mike Sherman would have signed Watt for 4yrs and $65M guaranteed!

D

Deleted member 6794

This is Watt's fourth season ending injury in the past 6 seasons. I doubt he has even played half the games and in those he did play, his production is way down from his great first five years. I thought at the time, Arizona payed way too much for someone who is prone to injury. I'm glad Gute didn't overpay to get him in Green Bay.

After playing in all 80 games over his first five seasons in the league Watt will have played in only 55 of a possible 96 contests at the end of this season.

Latest posts