JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
"Wanting to win" is not the same as "willing to sacrifice millions per year". I guarantee the Cardinals will win more games next year than the Texans, so he will win more games now.

I never understand the fans talking about other guy's money. You want to point fingers about money? Point them at the owners.
"Wanting to win" is not the same as "willing to sacrifice millions per year". I guarantee the Cardinals will win more games next year than the Texans, so he will win more games now.

I never understand the fans talking about other guy's money. You want to point fingers about money? Point them at the owners.
sounds to me like you have no clue about the league’s collective bargaining agreement.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a hard time really understanding these statements like the Cards are bottom feeders. They have an up and coming team if you think Murray is the real deal

Really? How do you have a hard time with that?

Arizona is okay, but they aren’t a contender and I’ll stand by that.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Stafford trade, The NFC West is the new Wild Wild West of the NFL. With 7 teams now making it in the Playoffs, I could easily see where 2 or even 3 NFC West teams make it. That 4th team will probably be just above. 500 still too.

With that being said, Watt could easily find himself at least making the Playoffs, but getting bounced out just as quickly.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I don't care about money being the most important thing for these guys. I don't care if it's number one on all their lists or if it's their whole list. They should make as much as they can while they can. Just don't be a b******* artist about it. Watt himself said money wasn't the most important thing at this stage of his career. It was Watt who put out a list of three things he was looking for and had money number three. Get your money but don't be a phony and a b******* artist about it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arizona is okay, but they aren’t a contender and I’ll stand by that.

This is the NFL. Not MLB or the NBA. You can make a case for about 15-20 teams having a chance at the SB next year if a few things go their way. Cards are in that group.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't get this signing... Mostly because I'm not really a Kyler Murray believer. I just don't think Watt gets a ring there and I think it looks like a highest bidder "won" out here. When Watt told Watson their defense wasted one of his years in Houston - I can't help feel that Watt just wasted the twilight of his career. We'll see I guess.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next move Leonard Williams? All joking aside, how about we use the money we saved by not signing Watt, on a couple mid level starting CB's such as Will Jackson and Ronald Darby? Then bring back Aaron Jones on the franchise tag.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Who was talking about his money? Any player can play for the highest bidder. But clearly the stuff about prioritizing talent and the chance to win was ********.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Next move Leonard Williams? All joking aside, how about we use the money we saved by not signing Watt, on a couple mid level starting CB's such as Will Jackson and Ronald Darby? Then bring back Aaron Jones on the franchise tag.

Who you cutting? Franchising Jones and signing a couple CBs, cutting Preston won't even cut that much...

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leonard Williams will cost more, he made $16.1M with the Giants last year. I can see him possibly going for $18M/per season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what money did we save? we still have to clear more to get under the projected cap just to get to even.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Maybe you all can finally get on board with Preston Smith carrying the G in 2021.....
Agree. While Preston is no JJ Watt, the Packers aren't paying him like one either. The question comes down to, is he worth the $8M you save by cutting him? No? What/who do you use the money on?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We cut him and that $8M brings back Jones(maybe), but then we now have an additional hole on the defense that can't necessarily be made up for in the Draft.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sounds to me like you have no clue about the league’s collective bargaining agreement.

The owners are more than willing to lock out the players while the players have a short career and aren't able to survive a lockout to the same degree billionaire owners are. Sounds to me like you have no clue about leverage.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was talking about his money? Any player can play for the highest bidder. But clearly the stuff about prioritizing talent and the chance to win was ********.

Really? I assume you don't think he should have been willing to play for the league minimum in Tampa, so where, exactly, is the cutoff in sacrificing millions of dollars for a chance to win? Or does that only come into play for Green Bay? Fans often believe players should act like fans, not like the employees they actually are with skills that are in immense demand for only a short period of their lives. The Cardinals are not some terrible team, they are MUCH better than the trainwreck JJ is coming from.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reggie White chose a 9-7 team which happened to be the highest payer.
and if the situation with JJ was the same as it was with Reggie, I'd be all for it. Reggie's body could support his play. I think JJ has had more help in making his body capable to play like he does and it's breaking down.

We also signed Reggie when there was no salary cap. If that were still the case today I might be more inclined to take a chance with JJ. But as it stands, I feel like the Cards just invested a lot of money they're going to be lucky to get a full season's production from a player spread out over 2 years.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have a hard time really understanding these statements like the Cards are bottom feeders. They have an up and coming team if you think Murray is the real deal

They're not bottom feeders, but they aren't close to being contenders either.

They're mediocre and led by a pretty terrible head coach.

If that's where he wanted to go, for the money, great! I'm just saying that he was clearly full of B.S. when he was trying to project this image of himself that's all about winning and playing for a contender. He went to an average team because they offered him the most money.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not bottom feeders, however I predict they will be hiring a new coach within two years. Kingsbury is NOT a HC, merely an OC.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Really? I assume you don't think he should have been willing to play for the league minimum in Tampa, so where, exactly, is the cutoff in sacrificing millions of dollars for a chance to win? Or does that only come into play for Green Bay? Fans often believe players should act like fans, not like the employees they actually are with skills that are in immense demand for only a short period of their lives. The Cardinals are not some terrible team, they are MUCH better than the trainwreck JJ is coming from.

You need to do a better job of reading what I'm saying so you don't end up tilting at windmills.

I am not someone who believes players should act like fans. Nor did I say that JJ should have taken less money to play in Green Bay or anywhere else.

What I said was that his camp's schtick about being about winning as the top priority was posturing ********. He went to the highest bidder, despite that being a non-contender. And again, that's totally fine-- it's his prerogative to play for the most money. But it gives the lie to how he presented himself going through the process.

If he wasn't willing to play for, say 11-12M for a team like the Bills then it's obvious that his posts about how winning and supporting casts are his top priorities were just fluff he was putting out to project a certain image to the public.

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what money did we save? we still have to clear more to get under the projected cap just to get to even.

We can restructure Rodgers, and extend Adams, plus cutting Smith would free approximately $30M leaving us with $20M in cap.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and if the situation with JJ was the same as it was with Reggie, I'd be all for it. Reggie's body could support his play. I think JJ has had more help in making his body capable to play like he does and it's breaking down.

We also signed Reggie when there was no salary cap. If that were still the case today I might be more inclined to take a chance with JJ. But as it stands, I feel like the Cards just invested a lot of money they're going to be lucky to get a full season's production from a player spread out over 2 years.

If Reggie wasn't juicing back in the 80s and taking other forms of PEDs I'm the future Emperor of the Moon.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts