Jimmy Graham

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just bringing up recent first round picks since the Packers would owe two first round picks to the Saints. The recent first round picks I'm mentioning speaks directly to your "devoting a huge contract and 2 1st round picks hurts us more than it helps us". You're problem is that you can't look at this objectively. How do you know any draft picks this year will definitely help the defense especially given the recent picks?

And yes, I think it's a good idea to give Graham the biggest TE contract because he's the best TE in the NFL. The best players get paid the best money.

I get it, you are angry we haven't hit on an all pro in the 1st round in awhile. But let's really look at it. Turn off your TT hate and put on your nfl championship hat. Remember when we traded back and picked up your favorite player jordy Nelson? Inconvenient mention. We all like to hammer on how bad Raji is but if you don't think he was a huge difference maker in getting us a title then I can't help you. Bulaga has been helpful as well. Too soon on other players.

I just don't see graham making a big difference in the win column. I will take 2 defensive 1st round picks over a TE who is getting paid $10 plus mil a year. I support moved I feel make a difference in the win column.

I understand why fans want to treat their favorite teams like a fantasy teams but it just isn't wise. I get the desire to sign the biggest flashiest free agent. I used to play madden too.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to make this clear: I'm not advocating that the Packers should trade for and pay Jimmy Graham.

I'm just saying that when objectively, the trade does make sense. Since 2006, the Packers have drafted one first round playmaker (Clay Matthews). With Jimmy Graham, you get a known commodity. You get the best tight end in football with his best football ahead of him. Graham, Nelson and Cobb allow the Packers to not have to resign Finley or James Jones. With draft picks, you get an unknown commodity.
Sure sounds like you are

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to make this clear: I'm not advocating that the Packers should trade for and pay Jimmy Graham.

I'm just saying that when objectively, the trade does make sense. Since 2006, the Packers have drafted one first round playmaker (Clay Matthews). With Jimmy Graham, you get a known commodity. You get the best tight end in football with his best football ahead of him. Graham, Nelson and Cobb allow the Packers to not have to resign Finley or James Jones. With draft picks, you get an unknown commodity.

I'm on board with the trade picks for proven players concept. I agree with that premise. I just don't think this one makes tons of sense for the Pack given how much help we need on the d-side.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much invested in 3 players. Just not how I like to see a team run, I know we all like the fantasy football side of it. I also dont know how many more wins he gets us. 1? maybe.

1? No way ...one of the biggest issues on offense was the red zone woes. Graham immediately fixes that issue as well as controlling the middle of the field. That's at least 4 wins. We lost some close games due to the fact we stunk in the red zone . 1st loss to Chicago, loss against Pittsburgh , tie against the Vikings, and the loss against San Francisco. Heck you can say both losses. With a weapon like Graham I honestly think we beat San Francisco in the playoffs even with how the defense played .

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm the Seahawks I would my defense is set but the our Packers defense needs a lot of improvement. Graham is a heck of a tight end, I would love to see him in our offense but not for 2
1st rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where was Graham against two of the better teams last year: 0 catches for 0 yards against NE and he was essentially shut down by Seattle both games they played. He's a hell of a player. But, he's a TE. Like someone said, this is real football, not fantasy football.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I'm the Seahawks I would my defense is set but the our Packers defense needs a lot of improvement. Graham is a heck of a tight end, I would love to see him in our offense but not for 2
1st rounders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be so sure about that defense. Some losses will be felt there

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get it, you are angry we haven't hit on an all pro in the 1st round in awhile. But let's really look at it. Turn off your TT hate

I stopped reading at this point. I don't have TT hate. Nothing in my posts indicated TT hate. The rest of your post is being disregarded.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1? No way ...one of the biggest issues on offense was the red zone woes. Graham immediately fixes that issue as well as controlling the middle of the field. That's at least 4 wins. We lost some close games due to the fact we stunk in the red zone . 1st loss to Chicago, loss against Pittsburgh , tie against the Vikings, and the loss against San Francisco. Heck you can say both losses. With a weapon like Graham I honestly think we beat San Francisco in the playoffs even with how the defense played .

Losing Aaron Rodgers had more to do with anything. Switching out Finley for graham and it's maybe an extra win

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm on board with the trade picks for proven players concept. I agree with that premise. I just don't think this one makes tons of sense for the Pack given how much help we need on the d-side.

Me neither. I truly the believe the defense needs 98% of the focus this offseason.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I stopped reading at this point. I don't have TT hate. Nothing in my posts indicated TT hate. The rest of your post is being disregarded.

I guess I should have stopped reading after your rant about how we get nothing out of first round picks.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where was Graham against two of the better teams last year: 0 catches for 0 yards against NE and he was essentially shut down by Seattle both games they played. He's a hell of a player. But, he's a TE. Like someone said, this is real football, not fantasy football.

This.

Every year will will have someone who wants to do some crazy trade or FA pick up. Never changes.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I should have stopped reading after your rant about how we get nothing out of first round picks.

You're another one these Ted Thompson absolutists who doesn't actually read posts and just goes "this guy hates Ted Thompson because he doesn't jump aboard with everything he does". I just objectively viewed a report somebody else made and came to a conclusion.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're another one these Ted Thompson absolutists who doesn't actually read posts and just goes "this guy hates Ted Thompson because he doesn't jump aboard with everything he does". I just objectively viewed a report somebody else made and came to a conclusion.

Ted hasn't jumped on board or jumped off board. I stated my opinion. If Ted did what you suggest, I would say he's an idiot. Obviously you haven't been around long enough to see me hammer away at him at the time of moves I've felt are not beneficial to the team.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted hasn't jumped on board or jumped off board. I stated my opinion. If Ted did what you suggest, I would say he's an idiot. Obviously you haven't been around long enough to see me hammer away at him at the time of moves I've felt are not beneficial to the team.

I didn't even state an opinion on an actual trade. I just looked at Jimmy Graham vs. any two first round picks made by the Packers since 2006 and concluded that a hypothetical trade wouldn't be that insane.

I'm extremely aware that TT would never made this trade.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please read the rest of your post. You then go on 5x longer about how much sense you think it makes.

Wait you think it makes sense and you don't want to do it?

Yes, I think a hypothetical trade makes sense when you just look at Jimmy Graham vs. two first round picks. I know the trade would never happen, I just think it makes sense of a Jimmy Graham vs. any two first round picks made by the Packers since 2006 point of view. This whole thread is based on a twitter post of a person's opinion. This trade never is/was real.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let me get this right..the gist of it is..

You're trading away two first round picks, who come at a cheap enough price for a 27 TE/WR looking to get paid like an elite receiver ($12M per) immediately. And then (I'm guessing here) you make him play more at TE; which is by no means his strength, but he's still pretty good at. OR: You have him take away snaps from Cobb/Boykin.

What.

How about this..you take one of those picks and draft TE Jace Amaro this year who projects similarly to Graham and then pocket the other first round pick and $50 million.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no confidence in TT finding draft picks to fix the defense, hasn't hit on squat since Clay Matthews. His in drafted picks turn out better then the guys he drafts anyways and that's a fact so what's the point of wasting another first round pick? If he's really trying to help the defense he would ask Not only Tramon to restructure but Clay Matthews and Morgan Burnett to and bring I'm Byrd to help sure up the back end that hasn't been good since Collins. As for graham? Maybe not but he could see about trading up and trying to get Barr or the fella from Buffalo even it it means giving up a high pick next yr. then you have your stud safety and possibly another stud pass rusher and your defense immediately has upgraded without spending a ton of money. We all know Clay as good as he is has now become a guarantee not to play a full season and he genuinely sounds like he wants to see a better effort made towards defense so why not? Aaron Rodgers lobbied for James jones and he got resigned so why not do the same for your best player on defense ? There are things that can be done to fix this defense without breaking the bank like some of you TT supporters claim.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that was some sort of fevered dream. He was hit with the franchise tag anyhow.

Franchise tagged players, at least non-exclusive ones which Graham is, can still be acquired by any team. You just have to give up 2 first round picks as compensation. That was the point of the talk of whether two first rounders is worth it.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no confidence in TT finding draft picks to fix the defense, hasn't hit on squat since Clay Matthews. His in drafted picks turn out better then the guys he drafts anyways and that's a fact so what's the point of wasting another first round pick? If he's really trying to help the defense he would ask Not only Tramon to restructure but Clay Matthews and Morgan Burnett to and bring I'm Byrd to help sure up the back end that hasn't been good since Collins. As for graham? Maybe not but he could see about trading up and trying to get Barr or the fella from Buffalo even it it means giving up a high pick next yr. then you have your stud safety and possibly another stud pass rusher and your defense immediately has upgraded without spending a ton of money. We all know Clay as good as he is has now become a guarantee not to play a full season and he genuinely sounds like he wants to see a better effort made towards defense so why not? Aaron Rodgers lobbied for James jones and he got resigned so why not do the same for your best player on defense ? There are things that can be done to fix this defense without breaking the bank like some of you TT supporters claim.

Are you saying in the 1st Rd or overall he hasn't hit?

Members online

Latest posts