Jimmy Graham

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, we can afford it, but at that point the plan is pretty much "Screw fixing the defense, we'll just try to score 45 points every game."

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adam must be drunk

As someone else pointed out in regards to this that the only non-QB position player right now who is worth giving that kind of value up for would be JJ Watt and I tend to agree with that assessment.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about we choose the 1st round picks? The Saints can have Derek Sherrod and BJ Raji.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at it objectively, I think he has a pretty good point. Would you trade Datone Jones and Nick Perry for Jimmy Graham? Would you trade Derrick Sherrod and Nick Perry for Jimmy Graham? Would you trade Brian Bulaga and Derrick Sherrod for Jimmy Graham? Trading two unknowns for the best tight end in football isn't an insane proposition.

With that being said, this has a 0.00% chance of happening.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you look at it objectively, I think he has a pretty good point. Would you trade Datone Jones and Nick Perry for Jimmy Graham? Would you trade Derrick Sherrod and Nick Perry for Jimmy Graham? Would you trade Brian Bulaga and Derrick Sherrod for Jimmy Graham? Trading two unknowns for the best tight end in football isn't an insane proposition.

With that being said, this has a 0.00% chance of happening.

Sure it's easy to say that now based on your examples, I don't think Ted views it as nearly as easy just to fork over 2 1st Rd picks plus pay him long term. As good as he is at TE, he is just that a TE. Not at all worth 2 1st Rd picks IMO

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure it's easy to say that now based on your examples, I don't think Ted views it as nearly as easy just to fork over 2 1st Rd picks plus pay him long term. As good as he is at TE, he is just that a TE. Not at all worth 2 1st Rd picks IMO

I put at the end of the post that there was a 0.00% chance of this happening. There is a better chance of Brett Favre starting at QB next year then TT trading two first round picks. I just think that when you look at recent history of Packers first round picks, Jimmy Graham is better than any first round pick since 2006 excluding Clay Matthews. Since 2006, it's been AJ Hawk, Justin Harell, BJ Raji, Brian Bulaga, Derrick Sherrod, Nick Perry and Datone Jones.

Even though Graham is just a tight end, he has put up 3,800 yards and 41 TD's in his first four seasons in the league. The guy is an absolute game changer.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I put at the end of the post that there was a 0.00% chance of this happening. There is a better chance of Brett Favre starting at QB next year then TT trading two first round picks. I just think that when you look at recent history of Packers first round picks, Jimmy Graham is better than any first round pick since 2006 excluding Clay Matthews. Since 2006, it's been AJ Hawk, Justin Harell, BJ Raji, Brian Bulaga, Derrick Sherrod, Nick Perry and Datone Jones.

Even though Graham is just a tight end, he has put up 3,800 yards and 41 TD's in his first four seasons in the league. The guy is an absolute game changer.

No I get it and I wasn't trying to argue with you just simply stating that it's easy to say this in hindsight is all.

I completely agree that he is an absolute beast and if he was as big of a game changer on the defensive side of the ball (I wouldn't even care what position) I'd be all for this. Problem is he is a TE, and no matter how good he is, he doesn't begin to fix our problems.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I think it'd be a bad deal and wouldn't do anything to fix our defense, I have to admit it would be hard in a hypothetical world not to be really excited about it on the day it went down.

I think we'd still be a really good team with a really good regular season record and with the #1 offense in the NFL. The problem would come against the real top defenses of the NFL like Seattle. We'd get held to 25-30 and our defense wouldn't be able to keep up.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I try to give up two first-round picks in a heartbeat ...with Graham you know what you're getting with two future first-round picks you have no clue. This defense needs more than a safety to fix its horrid play

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I think it'd be a bad deal and wouldn't do anything to fix our defense, I have to admit it would be hard in a hypothetical world not to be really excited about it on the day it went down

I think we'd still be a really good team with a really good regular season record and with the #1 offense in the NFL. The problem would come against the real top defenses of the NFL like Seattle. We'd get held to 25-30 and our defense wouldn't be able to keep up.

You mean like our current situation lol

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I try to give up two first-round picks in a heartbeat ...with Graham you know what you're getting with two future first-round picks you have no clue. This defense needs more than a safety to fix its horrid play

The picks I could go either way on but I don't believe Ted has been as bad as some do in the 1st Rd. Can we afford to pay him what it's going to take though? Between Rodgers, Clay, and Graham you'd be in the neighborhood of 45 million + per year in those 3 players.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pick I could go either way on but I don't believe Ted has been as bad as some do in the 1st Rd. Can we afford to pay him what it's going to take though? Between Rodgers, Clay, and Graham you'd be in the neighborhood of 45 million + per year in those 3 players.

His pics have either been injury prone or not that productive lately and that's a fair assessment .

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His pics have either been injury prone or not that productive lately and that's a fair assessment .

I'd argue on the productivity but the injuries is absolutely a fair argument. Bulaga when healthy has played well. Sherrod is 100% due to injury. Too early on Perry and Datone to make an accurate assessment. I understand the point though on the unknowns of draft picks and it's a fair arguement.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would probably take an average annual cost of $11M per season. I don't think that's the problem, I think we can afford that. I'm all about paying the playmakers who are worth every penny. The problem is the contracts to mediocre guys like B. Jones, Hawk, etc. These contracts add up, when it would be better to take a chance filling these spot with young cheap draft picks than proven overpaid mediocre players. If we were willing to fork over (reportedly) $8M a year for a mostly useless player like Raji, I should sure hope we'd be willing to add a measly $3M to that for Jimmy Graham.

Jairus Byrd is going to walk and isn't going to be tagged. Now there's another playmaker which would cost about $9M, so you''re talking $20M to add two playmakers for the team, and then you have to let Finley, Jones, Shields, Raji, Neal, and just about everybody with an expiring contract walk. Blow everything on 2 playmakers. You could probably bring back Pickett and Jolly on minimum contracts. But would we be a better team? Yeah, I think we would. Would it come back and bite us in the future? Maybe.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would probably take an average annual cost of $11M per season. I don't think that's the problem, I think we can afford that. I'm all about paying the playmakers who are worth every penny. The problem is the contracts to mediocre guys like B. Jones, Hawk, etc. These contracts add up, when it would be better to take a chance filling these spot with young cheap draft picks than proven overpaid mediocre players. If we were willing to fork over (reportedly) $8M a year for a mostly useless player like Raji, I should sure hope we'd be willing to add a measly $3M to that for Jimmy Graham.

Jairus Byrd is going to walk and isn't going to be tagged. Now there's another playmaker which would cost about $9M, so you''re talking $20M to add two playmakers for the team, and then you have to let Finley, Jones, Shields, Raji, Neal, and just about everybody with an expiring contract walk. Blow everything on 2 playmakers. You could probably bring back Pickett and Jolly on minimum contracts. But would we be a better team? Yeah, I think we would. Would it come back and bite us in the future? Maybe.

I won't be that greedy lol but I would prefer Byrd over Graham because the defense lacks playmakers at safety and Rodgers can make an average tightend work just fine in this offense . The defense needs TT to make a splash and he needs to come through this year or else people will continue to question some of his decisions

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not the picks, its making him the highest paid TE in the league I have an issue with.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its not the picks, its making him the highest paid TE in the league I have an issue with.

Why? Just honestly asking what the issue is with that -- he's clearly the best TE in the league so I wouldn't have a problem paying him the most.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why? Just honestly asking what the issue is with that -- he's clearly the best TE in the league so I wouldn't have a problem paying him the most.

Too much invested in 3 players. Just not how I like to see a team run, I know we all like the fantasy football side of it. I also dont know how many more wins he gets us. 1? maybe.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The picks I could go either way on but I don't believe Ted has been as bad as some do in the 1st Rd. Can we afford to pay him what it's going to take though? Between Rodgers, Clay, and Graham you'd be in the neighborhood of 45 million + per year in those 3 players.

The salary cap is$133M with the projected cap rising in the future (some project $150M by 2016). Your cap is spread out between expensive players and cheaper players. The cap could work with those players listed above if they're offset by rookie and/or cheaper deals.

Once again, is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? Hell no.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too much invested in 3 players. Just not how I like to see a team run, I know we all like the fantasy football side of it. I also dont know how many more wins he gets us. 1? maybe.

How many more wins does drafting players like AJ Hawk, Justin Harrell, Derrick Sherrod and Nick Perry get us? Not to mention second round picks like Jerel Worthy and Mike Neal.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many more wins does drafting players like AJ Hawk, Justin Harrell, Derrick Sherrod and Nick Perry get us? Not to mention second round picks like Jerel Worthy and Mike Neal.

bc 4 players havent panned out to be game changing players for us you think its a good idea to give Graham the biggest TE contract? Yeah that makes no sense. Sorry, but I would like to see wins from this team, and devoting a huge contract and 2 1st round picks hurts us more than it helps us.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bc 4 players havent panned out to be game changing players for us you think its a good idea to give Graham the biggest TE contract? Yeah that makes no sense. Sorry, but I would like to see wins from this team, and devoting a huge contract and 2 1st round picks hurts us more than it helps us.

I'm just bringing up recent first round picks since the Packers would owe two first round picks to the Saints. The recent first round picks I'm mentioning speaks directly to your "devoting a huge contract and 2 1st round picks hurts us more than it helps us". You're problem is that you can't look at this objectively. How do you know any draft picks this year will definitely help the defense especially given the recent picks?

And yes, I think it's a good idea to give Graham the biggest TE contract because he's the best TE in the NFL. The best players get paid the best money.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to make this clear: I'm not advocating that the Packers should trade for and pay Jimmy Graham.

I'm just saying that when objectively, the trade does make sense. Since 2006, the Packers have drafted one first round playmaker (Clay Matthews). With Jimmy Graham, you get a known commodity. You get the best tight end in football with his best football ahead of him. Graham, Nelson and Cobb allow the Packers to not have to resign Finley or James Jones. With draft picks, you get an unknown commodity.

Members online

Latest posts