Jared Abbrederis

D

Deleted member 6794

I still see Abby as a primary candidate on returns and possible contributor on long down sets. As a returner, it doesn't hurt to have a primary backup there of even if he doesn't win that starting role. Right now, the return role is up for grabs more than any.
As we each Know, Every player is 1 injury away from being a major contributor (James Starks in the 2010 playoffs is a perfect example of how injuries propel players into the limelight). Remember, Starks missed his Senior year due to injury and was a DB through much of his college career. Anything goes. We also all know too well how quickly an injury can happen and it is also a part of this game and one that needs to planned for. Every player going in has to compete 100% for their right to be there.. No exceptions. IMO There is no battle for 6th WR.. In this business its what have you done for me lately" the battle starts who's gonna be #1 WR this year. If they take that attitude they just might make the team.

The Packers should continue with Hyde as their primary punt returner. With Abbrederis not having returned a kickoff since 2011 I think Montgomery is the front runner to win the job.

Starks never played DB at Buffalo.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO: Abbrederis and Janis will each get plenty of opportunities to win the #4 WR job. And so will Montgomery and Myles White: Why wouldn’t they? The depth chart to the extent it exists the first day of TC is extremely fluid for all but the locks. And if the top three stay healthy, there won’t be a lot of snaps for whoever is next.

BTW, we’ve made some assumptions about Montgomery (me included) but I don’t think the coaching staff is going assume Montgomery can’t do this or that. They may end up putting in plays for him but I’ll bet they’ll begin by training him like a rookie WR and see what he can do. IOW, I think we’re getting ahead of ourselves – not that there’s much else to do this time of year.

Reaction score
The Packers should continue with Hyde as their primary punt returner. With Abbrederis not having returned a kickoff since 2011 I think Montgomery is the front runner to win the job.

Starks never played DB at Buffalo.
Sorry. My memory must be slipping on the DB comment.
I agree. I picked a KR|WR as a surprise pick day 2 draft last year (I was wrong)
I wasn't surprised though on day 3 when he was picked it was clear he was picked with return potential in mind.
Interesting that we now have Ty also. Before Hyde the return position was a revolving door of "Blackmon" experiments that floundered. IMO it's not a coincidence that under new ST coaching we wanted to offer him every opportunity to succeed. I think it's prudent we have to consider the possibility of Abby not making a full recovery (although we are contemplating the most positive outcome on this thread) OR the possibility of a reoccurrence of the recent past with another injury to one of these "front runners" we're are each speculating on. We're gonna have stiff competition in the return game and that's good insurance against this.
I think it's wise as a coach to concentrate on our areas of weekness and put in a plan to make it an area of strength.
Wimm, it's gonna be an exciting year and I know I'm not alone watching especially close at the positions of ILB, DT and KR/PR

Last edited:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Janis already has an entire season of working on the scout team with either Flynn or Tolzien throwing him the ball???

That's a helluva lot more than Abbrederis did.

That doesn´t make up for his shortcomings playing for a division II college.

No... I'm pretty sure what a player does as a Packer outweighs what they did in college. Besides, 246 catches, 4305 yards and 46 touchdowns are hardly "shortcomings."

And please stop putting too much stock into preseason stats, nobody cares about a receiver making plays against second- or third-stringers on defense.

That's probably the most asinine comment I've seen in a long time (and I'll be sure to keep it in mind as soon as you go nuts the first time Abbrederis makes a play in preseason.) If nobody cared about how players performed during preseason games then teams wouldn't expose their entire roster to risk of injury by playing 4 of them every year! BTW, Janis didn't just score two preseason TDs, he made the other teams look slow and stupid doing it. And those secondaries were as good as any Div I secondary.

It's clear to me that your whole argument in favor of Abbrederis is solely based on the fact that he went to your beloved UW. I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean diddly squat to Thompson. We're talking about a 5th round pick and a 7th round pick, not a top 10 pick and a rookie free agent. There remains absolutely no conceivable reason why Abbrederis has earned the right to be higher on the pecking order than Janis going into camp.

Frankly, I don't understand the hype around this kid. He's not quick off the line. He has average speed. He's weak. He's fragile. I just don't see it.

Last edited:
Reaction score

No... I'm pretty sure what a player does as a Packer outweighs what they did in college. Besides, 246 catches, 4305 yards and 46 touchdowns are hardly "shortcomings."

That's probably the most asinine comment I've seen in a long time (and I'll be sure to keep it in mind as soon as you go nuts the first time Abbrederis makes a play in preseason.) If nobody cared about how players performed during preseason games then teams wouldn't expose their entire roster to risk of injury by playing 4 of them every year! BTW, Janis didn't just score two preseason TDs, he made the other teams look slow and stupid doing it. And those secondaries were as good as any Div I secondary.

It's clear to me that your whole argument in favor of Abbrederis is solely based on the fact that he went to your beloved UW. I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean diddly squat to Thompson. We're talking about a 5th round pick and a 7th round pick, not a top 10 pick and a rookie free agent. There remains absolutely no conceivable reason why Abbrederis has earned the right to be higher on the pecking order than Janis going into camp.
Lol. Thanks for the chuckle.
And I agree. If I had to pick today I take Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis had two catches for 16 yards (both thrown by Matt Flynn) as a Packer in the fourth quarter of a blowout win vs. Minnesota in week 5. I don't care what he did during practice or preseason this stat line is nothing to get excited about.

During the 2014 preseason seven Packers WRs had more receptions than Janis and four of them didn't even make the 53. Preseason stats aren't worth anything. Tbey play the preseason games to fill out the bottom of the roster but game film is more important in evaluating those guys than any stats accumulated during those exhibitions.

It's clear to me that your whole argument in favor of Abbrederis is solely based on the fact that he went to your beloved UW. I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean diddly squat to Thompson. We're talking about a 5th round pick and a 7th round pick, not a top 10 pick and a rookie free agent.

Frankly, I don't understand the hype around this kid. He's not quick off the line. He has average speed. He's weak. He's fragile. I just don't see it.

Growing up in Austria I don't care about that Abbrederis played for the Badgers. The reason he dropped to the fifth round is that teams were concerned about him being able to stay healthy. Janis on the other side wasn't picked until the seventh round because being extremely raw and lack of production vs. any good teams.

BTW with your affection for Janis I guess you grew up somewhere close to Frankenlust Township.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis had two catches for 16 yards (both thrown by Matt Flynn) as a Packer in the fourth quarter of a blowout win vs. Minnesota in week 5. I don't care what he did during practice or preseason this stat line is nothing to get excited about.

Then I assume you won't be touting anything Abbrederis does in preseason or practice either? You know, since that's all irrelevant and all.

During the 2014 preseason seven Packers WRs had more receptions than Janis and four of them didn't even make the 53.

That's because the Packers were impressed with his potential.

Tbey play the preseason games to fill out the bottom of the roster but game film is more important in evaluating those guys than any stats accumulated during those exhibitions.

If he sucks so bad, as you claim. Why did the Packers keep him then? Why are you the only one on here who apparently despises the man and never has ANYTHING positive to say about him.

The reason he dropped to the fifth round is that teams were concerned about him being able to stay healthy.

And so far those concerns have been proven accurate. If a player can't stay healthy, what good is he? And that's not the only concern. How about the fact that he is so weak he could only bench press 225 lbs. four times?! There's also the fact that he struggles against press coverage (again related to his lack of strength). He was only projected to be anywhere from a late 3rd round pick to an early 5th round pick, so he didn't really "fall" very far.

Janis on the other side wasn't picked until the seventh round because being extremely raw and lack of production vs. any good teams.

Seriously, you can give the whole "lack of production vs any good teams" B.S. a rest. There were more than 100 NFL players last year from D-II schools, so NFL teams recognize there is talent there to be found whether you think so or not. Some prime examples are John Kuhn, Jacoby Jones, Vincent Jackson, Danny Woodhead, Danieal Manning, Brent Grimes, Jahri Evans and Joique Bell. Pierre Garcon played D-III. Tell me... what kind of competition did THEY play against in college? NFL teams were wise enough not to hold that against those guys and the Packers aren't holding it against Janis either, no matter how much you wish they would.

BTW with your affection for Janis I guess you grew up somewhere close to Frankenlust Township.

No, I have never heard of Frankenlust Township. I simply choose to recognize talent when I see it. Yeah, Janis is raw, but he's smart, he's an absolute freak athletically and he's a damn hard worker by ALL accounts from those who actually know him. And at this point, as a professional, he's more polished than Abbrederis.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I simply choose to recognize talent when I see it. Yeah, Janis is raw, but he's smart, he's an absolute freak athletically and he's a damn hard worker by ALL accounts from those who actually know him.

You proclaimed Janis to be the next great WR for the Packers coming out of a division II school after the first catch he made during practice while I told you not to put too much stock into it.

So far, I've been the one correctly assessing the situation with Janis. He wasn't able to move past a terrible Jarrett Boykin on the depth chart, only played a total of 15 snaps on offense and caught two passes in the fourth quarter of a blowout win vs. Minnesota from Matt Flynn during the regular season.

I would like to be wrong about it and see Janis turn into an impact receiver for the Packers but you continuing to act like it's a given he will be able to achieve that after his rookie season seems to be out of touch with reality.

As there is nothing happening on the field right now I'm done with arguing about Janis with you for now and suggest to wait at least until camp to re-evaluate the situation once again.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far, I've been the one correctly assessing the situation with Janis.

No, you've essentially labeled him a bum and a wasted pick because he played at Saginaw. MM has already said he is expecting that Janis will take a big step up next year, so maybe he's stupid too.

He wasn't able to move past a terrible Jarrett Boykin on the depth chart, only played a total of 15 snaps on offense and caught two passes in the fourth quarter of a blowout win vs. Minnesota from Matt Flynn during the regular season.

First, I'll remind you that Boykin looked pretty damn good the second half of the 2013 season. Second, Janis was a rookie and someone has to be last on the depth chart. BTW, Abbrederis wouldn't have played any more than that either.

I would like to be wrong about it and see Janis turn into an impact receiver for the Packers but you continuing to act like it's a given he will be able to achieve that after his rookie season seems to be out of touch with reality.

All I said was that he would enter camp ahead of Abbrederis, as well he should. I would say the selection of Montgomery with his return skills and smaller build is more of an insurance policy against Abbrederis' fragile nature than it is against Janis.

Your disdain for him seems to be completely drawn from the fact that you have no respect for D-II players. What's the real story here? Did he run over your dog or something?

As there is nothing happening on the field right now I'm done with arguing about Janis with you for now and suggest to wait at least until camp to re-evaluate the situation once again.

Now wait a minute. How about some consistency here? I thought you said "nobody cares" about what happens in practice and pre-season. Which is it?

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Wow, Janis already has an entire season of working on the scout team with either Flynn or Tolzien throwing him the ball??? That doesn´t make up for his shortcomings playing for a division II college.

And please stop putting too much stock into preseason stats, nobody cares about a receiver making plays against second- or third-stringers on defense.
Right. There's a progression that has to play out.

1. OTA/camp practice.

2. Limited/2nd. half snaps against 2nd. and 3rd. stringers where guys are being evaluated for bottom-of-the-roster/practice squad. High picks might be fast-tracked over this step.

3. Expanded preseason snaps with some 1st. half play with 1st. and 2nd. stringers where the guy is being assessed for an expanded role or a higher depth chart position.

4. Regular season action where the rubber meets the road, where the proof is in the putting, or whatever metaphor one wants to apply.

Some guys turn out to be practice warriors then wilt on game day. Some guys don't show as well in practice but prove to be "gamers". Bush was given a starting job based on pre-season work over Shields (I believe that was in 2012), but wasn't up to the task in money games. If the reports out of Seattle are an indication, Flynn's work ethic leaves something to be desired (locker room ping pong over the film room according to one player) but come game time he got his juices flowing.

Further, with so little full contact practice allowed since the 2011 CBA, game performance takes precedence.

Janis' year in the system might earn him a jump over step 2. depending on how the OTA/camp practices go. Then it's up to him to show progression in preseason. That's as far as it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

MM has already said he is expecting that Janis will take a big step up next year, so maybe he's stupid too.
He's not stupid. That's his job. He expects a jump from all second year players who show promise but have not yet proven up on the field. And if they don't make the jump, if they don't entail meaningful dead cap if released, and if they don't find some niche on special teams, they're gone after year 2, if not sooner with an injury settlement if they can't suit up.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you got the last two backward, but otherwise probably right.

You may be right. Based on the fact that Abby didn't play at all last year I suppose Janis probably should be ahead of him but if he is IMO it is because Abby didn't play at all and not because of anything Janis did to earn it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
You may be right. Based on the fact that Abby didn't play at all last year I suppose Janis probably should be ahead of him but if he is IMO it is because Abby didn't play at all and not because of anything Janis did to earn it.
Hard to say from our vantage point. Janis may have done quite well in the coaches eyes over the last six months. Players develop over time. Few pick up right where they left off in college. Takes some time for most to transition to the pro game.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree with the last statement. Seems like there's a lot of home-state bias going on.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Badger blinders are a powerful thing.

Normally i'd be right tgere with you but in this particular argument I can't understand how some people are so high on Janis.

Is he a somewhat intriguing prospect? Yes. Has he done anything on the field to warrent people even just penceling him in as the #4 WR or above anyone else on the roster going into camp? Hell no

The man couldn't beat out White for a game day roster spot last year. Do I think he'll be improved this year? Yes. But thats not a given. Montgomery has a roster spot locked up just off his draft position, even though i'm lowest on him of the three, but Janis and Abreddaris will both be at the same point starting out. Niethers a given but both have the same likelyhood of being the #4 WR, #5WR, #6WR all the way to being cut.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree with the last statement. Seems like there's a lot of home-state bias going on.
Badger blinders are a powerful thing.
I haven't seen much of that on this site and I don’t think it plays much of a role regarding Abbrederis. I'm a long-time Badger fan but as I’ve posted before I bend over backwards not going overboard on their potential as pros: While I watch every Badgers game, I don’t watch many other college football games so I lack a frame of reference for how good the Badgers’ opponents are. IOW I'm not a draftnik (not that there's anything wrong with that!). But a couple of objective statements help answer questions about posters being high on Abbrederis, particularly as compared to Janis. First, the Packers were higher on him than Janis in the 2014 draft since they selected him 60 spots ahead of Janis. Second, as captainWIMM has posted Abbrederis had 10 catches for 207 yards against Ohio State’s Bradley Roby. Roby was a first round draft pick by Denver who had 2 INTs and 14 passes defended as a rookie for the Broncos. BTW, Abbrederis accomplished that domination of a soon-to-be legit NFL CB with Joel Stave (AKA Joel f#$%ing Stave by some Badgers fans) at QB.

As a Packers fan, I want to see both Abbrederis and Janis succeed. Both have potential but both have “ifs” attached to them. And as I’ve posted before, it really doesn’t matter which one gets the first rep with the ones at TC. Both will get plenty of chances to overcome their “ifs”.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Normally i'd be right tgere with you but in this particular argument I can't understand how some people are so high on Janis.

The closest NFL comparison in terms of size and athleticism is Julio Jones. That fact combined his two impressive TDs in preseason and a full year in the Packers' system certainly puts him ahead of a player who spent his entire first season on IR who is suspect in the athleticism and durability departments to begin with.

The man couldn't beat out White for a game day roster spot last year.

White had a full year of NFL experience going into last season. Of course he should have been ahead of Janis at that point.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen much of that on this site and I don’t think it plays much of a role regarding Abbrederis. I'm a long-time Badger fan but as I’ve posted before I bend over backwards not going overboard on their potential as pros: While I watch every Badgers game, I don’t watch many other college football games so I lack a frame of reference for how good the Badgers’ opponents are. IOW I'm not a draftnik (not that there's anything wrong with that!). But a couple of objective statements help answer questions about posters being high on Abbrederis, particularly as compared to Janis. First, the Packers were higher on him than Janis in the 2014 draft since they selected him 60 spots ahead of Janis. Second, as captainWIMM has posted Abbrederis had 10 catches for 207 yards against Ohio State’s Bradley Roby. Roby was a first round draft pick by Denver who had 2 INTs and 14 passes defended as a rookie for the Broncos. BTW, Abbrederis accomplished that domination of a soon-to-be legit NFL CB with Joel Stave (AKA Joel f#$%ing Stave by some Badgers fans) at QB.

As a Packers fan, I want to see both Abbrederis and Janis succeed. Both have potential but both have “ifs” attached to them. And as I’ve posted before, it really doesn’t matter which one gets the first rep with the ones at TC. Both will get plenty of chances to overcome their “ifs”.
That's fair - and while one game can't be used to prove or disprove a player's worth, the game you cite makes for a compelling exception. I don't have a Badger Bias. History has shown, IMO, that there aren't a lot of Badgers that make it in the pros - and yeah J.J. Watt is a great exception to that statement.

I certainly would have been in favor of taking MGIII if he had fallen to 30, or Gurley for that matter. I think MGIII will have a very good pro career. J&J were selected much later.

Someone else made a good point, this is Janis' second year, so MM is right to expect more. And it was also pointed out that Janis did not play better than Myles White in training camp.

Hey I hope they both become rockstars. That's just a very long row to *** on this team, given the depth at WR.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow this thread has received a lot of posts, myself included. If Abbrederis was from any college other than UW, this thread would never have started. It's on Abbrederis to prove he put in the time to rehab his knee and that he can compete for a # 4 or 5 slot on the depth chart. Probably safe to say Montgomery will make it on ST talent alone. I think they will carry 6 WRs into the regular season, so competition will be fierce for the 5th and 6th spots.

Rather than start a new thread, let's hear some predictions on who will fill spots 5 and 6. I think Janis makes it and White. Look forward to other predictions.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought with Jared, his niche on the team would be slot n return game. But with Montgomery now a packer and seemingly having far more potential, I feel Jared is the odd man out for our core wrs. Janis I feel is a jordy clone and might be able to take over when jordy departs. Jared? Eh, I can't really find a spot for him on the team and being a major contributor. jordy, Cobb, Adams, ty, Janis. That's the present and future. Jared? I dunno, time will tell but I still think we keep 6 wr and he gets a roster spot. Don't overlook udfa coxon though. I think he will be challenging Jared for the 6th spot

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe im the only one that thinks unless we keep 6 that Janis is the odd man out. Im not even high on Abreddaris but im actually a lil amazed at the fact the people call Janis a"Jordy clone" and was even compared to Julio Jones physically earlier in this thread.

The man had a few good plays in one preseason game to grab a roster spot but then couldnt beat out the likes of Boykins and Myles White for a game day activation and these comparisons still get made some how.

He's not a horrible prospect but the way some talk about him we might as well pencil Adams in as the #4 WR cause Janis is clearly destined for the #3 spot if not eyeing up Cobb n Jordys spots.

Calm down... Deep breaths guys... Just sayin

D

Deleted member 6794

I promised not to discuss anything being posted about Janis anymore until at least the start of camp but here´s some other stuff that was mentioned in this thread I want to address.

First of all Myles White didn´t make the 53 man roster with the Packers last season, he spent the entire year on the practice squad. Janis wasn´t able to make the game day roster over a terrible Jarrett Boykin.

It seems like a lot of you have a completely wrong idea about what a player (especially early in his career) does once being put on IR. While those guys obviously aren´t allowed to hit the practice field they still attend all positional meetings and train in the team´s weight room once able to and therefore have spent time in the system as well.

Members online

Latest posts