Jared Abbrederis

H

HardRightEdge

I was actually posing the question to both of you. I'm surprised that some of you put Coxson on par or ahead of Abbrederis. While Stony Brook runs the ball most of the time 43 receptions for 664 yards and six TDs at the FCS level doesn't get me too excited about him.
Earning bottom-of-the-roster spots is as much a war of attrition as it is a matter of accumulated flashes of potential.

Shortcomings and repetitive mistakes add up on the negative side of the ledger just as flash plays add up on the positive side.

This goes to my point of not getting jazzed up over UDFAs. They come in without much, if any, tape for us outsiders to evaluate and little in the way of scouting reports and analysis compared to what's available with day 1 and 2 draft picks. So UDFAs come in relatively wart free on the negative side of the ledger...out of ignorance.

There's a fair amount of tape, analysis and reportage with a guy like Montgomery, for example. We can scrutinize tape, drops rates, PFF data, scouting reports and reporter commentary in determining his possible shortcomings. Was he worth a 3rd. round pick? How might he be used? Where might he not measure up?

UDFAs, beyond the Combine or Pro Day measurables, a smattering of stats and a beat reporter article or two, come in "clean"...the imagination is largely unencumbered by negatives in making projections.

We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earning bottom-of-the-roster spots is as much a war of attrition as it is a matter of accumulated flashes of potential.

Shortcomings and repetitive mistakes add up on the negative side of the ledger just as flash plays add up on the positive side.

This goes to my point of not getting jazzed up over UDFAs. They come in without much, if any, tape for us outsiders to evaluate and little in the way of scouting reports and analysis compared to what's available with day 1 and 2 draft picks. So UDFAs come in relatively wart free on the negative side of the ledger...out of ignorance.

There's a fair amount of tape, analysis and reportage with a guy like Montgomery, for example. We can scrutinize tape, drops rates, PFF data, scouting reports and reporter commentary in determining his possible shortcomings. Was he worth a 3rd. round pick? How might he be used? Where might he not measure up?

UDFAs, beyond the Combine or Pro Day measurables, a smattering of stats and a beat reporter article or two, come in "clean"...the imagination is largely unencumbered by negatives in making projections.

We'll see.
Maybe a better way to look at this is what is desired in the number 5 or 6 WR. Personally, I like speed. Someone who can just flat outrun a CB who isn't careful. It spreads the defense, and either the CB goes with him or they have to bring a safety over, or both. Other than Nelson's uncanny ability to make routine catches into long TD runs, the Packers don't have a speed demon at the position. Someone posted that Myles White ran a 4.42 40. He also only weighs 182 lbs, so he might best be used as a decoy. But in a 4 WR set who cares?

Finally, if Abbrederis can come back with little or no diminishment in his speed, I'd be all for him making the roster. But ACL tears have got to take a toll on speed.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NFL teams will line up the best players on the roster at a specific position regardless of experience. The fact that Janis wasn't able to move past Boykin and Dorsey on the depth chart last season tells me that he wasn't ready to play at the pro level. We will have to wait and see how much he has improved by the start of the 2015 season.

The Packers made the correct decision to not re-sign Boykin and by releasing Dorsey it's obvious they were convinced he won't make it at the pro level. IMO drafting Montgomery in the third round puts both Abbrederis and Janis on notice to either stay healthy or show major improvement.
That's a good observation. Montgomery will make the team for no other reason than ST play, and they didn't draft him 3rd to just return kicks. Of course both he and the Packers would like to see him contribute as a WR. That will push Janis and Abbrederis to compete harder, if that's possible I mean all these guys will lay it our for a roster spot on this team.

And as someone else said - if Nelson, Cobb and Adams stay healthy, there won't be many snaps for 4 through 6 except in 4 receiver sets. Maybe the Packers only keep 5 WRs on the roster and put the 6th guy on the PS. I would rather see the Packers add 53 man roster depth at the O line and D line than waste a roster spot on a 6th receiver. And unless Jake Ryan really lights it up as a rookie (I think he will), the Packers will have to carry an extra ILB or two. It may take 4 or 5 games of real football (not preseson) before that is resolved.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if we don't see more 5 receiver sets again this year, assuming the OL play stays where it's at or improves? the past few years we couldn't, mostly because I felt our Oline was not good enough to do it. Injuries were a part of it, but there extra blockers were always needed be kept in to keep Rodgers from getting killed. Last year they played a lot better and held their own without all that help from RB's and TE's, but we didn't have as much talent depth wise at the WR position. We'd have had 2 very good WR's and a promising young guy and then a very underperforming boykin and hopes and dreams. that's a far cry from Jones, Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Driver and then some other hopes and dreams.

But I could see us using it more again if Adams continues his maturation and Ab or Janis can step up. I think this is where Montgomery can be used to get the ball in his hands too.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Interesting to see this one still being debated :), and so politely too I might add !! :p

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if we don't see more 5 receiver sets again this year, assuming the OL play stays where it's at or improves? the past few years we couldn't, mostly because I felt our Oline was not good enough to do it. Injuries were a part of it, but there extra blockers were always needed be kept in to keep Rodgers from getting killed. Last year they played a lot better and held their own without all that help from RB's and TE's, but we didn't have as much talent depth wise at the WR position. We'd have had 2 very good WR's and a promising young guy and then a very underperforming boykin and hopes and dreams. that's a far cry from Jones, Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Driver and then some other hopes and dreams.

But I could see us using it more again if Adams continues his maturation and Ab or Janis can step up. I think this is where Montgomery can be used to get the ball in his hands too.
I'm intrigued by the thought of having both Cobb and Montgomery on the field at the same time in certain formations resulting in isolation on a LB for one of them.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by the thought of having both Cobb and Montgomery on the field at the same time in certain formations resulting in isolation on a LB for one of them.
Me too, I could see specific packages with jet sweeps, running from the backfield, one or both splitting out to a WR position. A lot of short and deep passing can be set up on those looks and I think Cobb can, and montgomery looks to be a very capable runner, can also run out of the backfield too.

H

HardRightEdge

That's an interesting thought, particularly if you can sneak them on the field against a base defense and then go to no-huddle limiting the chance of a defensive rotation. It would be possible to run out of that grouping with Randall or Cobb, or go 4 wide.

Along the same lines, one thing that has puzzled me about the McCarthy offense is the infrequency with which the RB is motioned to the slot to isolate on a LB even when he had RBs suited to it (Brandon Jackson, Alex Green).

Last edited by a moderator:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the big 5 from a few years back. But with Lacy/Starks theres no way we use it. Considering we have physical specimens like Montgomery and Janis to play the #4 and #5 Wr position, its a shame.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I
Me too, I could see specific packages with jet sweeps, running from the backfield, one or both splitting out to a WR position. A lot of short and deep passing can be set up on those looks and I think Cobb can, and montgomery looks to be a very capable runner, can also run out of the backfield too.
I think we will see some new looks on O this year (and throwing the ball to Peppers is not one of them!). I don't know what a D does against a 5 WR set. Zone coverage and maybe blitz a safety to rush Rodgers. I would love to see the old Packer sweep come back. The problem is that the OLBs and DEs have become so fast the sweep is hard to run.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we will see some new looks on O this year (and throwing the ball to Peppers is not one of them!). I don't know what a D does against a 5 WR set. Zone coverage and maybe blitz a safety to rush Rodgers. I would love to see the old Packer sweep come back. The problem is that the OLBs and DEs have become so fast the sweep is hard to run.

Normally defenses line up in a dime package defending a five receiver set. While an offense most likely is able to force a LB to cover one of the WRs you better trust your offensive line to pick up the pass rush.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I
I'm almost certain that we will see new looks as well considering everyone on O is back. It will happen in the first game imo. It's good imo that it keeps everone interested and learning new stuff while introducing newcomers as well. I fully expect to see some confused and surprised opponents DC's and defenders, hopefully resulting in some big yardage plays early in the season.

Reaction score
Interesting to see this one still being debated :), and so politely too I might add !! :p
Ha. Indeed it has been relatively civil in here among us experts, nearly brought a tear to my eye. So much civility strung together.. This could be a non-partisan training ground for our government officials.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis playing with 1st team in Nelsons place..... McCarthy said he was ready to play later last year too. Thats new info to me too.

I guess he is next in line with Montgomery unable to play yet. And Abbredarius coming off acl.

Still very nice to see the diamond in the rough getting some shaping done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts