Jared Abbrederis

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Janis blows the doors off of everyone, but if he doesn't, he'll hardly be the first big, fast, athletic player to have a brief career in the NFL

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It took him a couple years to be featured, but he was not timid. Over half his catches were big meaningful catches his rookie year. Making the tough catch for a first down or a TD and he hardly dropped anything
You need to watch closely the routes he ran across the middle. He did fine on the edge. Reminded me of Don Beebe after he took the big hit in the 49ers game. Nelson came around though in his third year and became a more complete receiver.

D

Deleted member 6794

Now you're just making stuff up as you go. He certainly did get on the field. Whether or not you feel like it counts or not is irrelevant.

Janis played a total of 15 snaps during the regular season with most of them coming in the fourth quarter of a blowout win vs. Minnesota. No one in their right mind would consider that as significant playing time.

You can throw Montgomery in that mix too as far as competing for roster spots. MM isn't going to hand him the #4 spot on a platter. That #4 WR position could end up going to any one of Montgomery, Janis, Abbrederis, or White. And I would say that the addition of Montgomery to the mix makes it more difficult for Abbrederis to make the cut than it does Janis. Given a choice between big, fast, strong, healthy and raw; or small, average, weak, injury prone and raw, Abbrederis is going to have to do some outstanding things in TC and preseason to supplant Janis. Oh wait, my bad. You don't give a damn what anyone does in preseason. You're more worried about "pedigree" to make roster decisions.

Montgomery will for sure make the team, the Packers won't release a third round pick. There's no reason why adding Montgomery makes it tougher for Abbrederis to make the team compared to Janis.

It's really getting absurd how you're assessing Janis and Abbrederis. While I agree that he has a ton of athleticism it's too bad the Packers don't compete in track and fields. Abbrederis is a way more polished receiver who has troubles staying healthy and that's the main reason why he dropped to the fifth round. Still, he was picked 60 spots ahead of Janis. So even the Packers front office considered him to be a better player than Janis, do you even realize that???

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to watch closely the routes he ran across the middle. He did fine on the edge. Reminded me of Don Beebe after he took the big hit in the 49ers game. Nelson came around though in his third year and became a more complete receiver.
I guess I don't remember the specific catches he had in 2008, other than he made a lot of big important ones for 1st downs mostly and a few TD's, while sitting behind other big name receivers. I remember him not dropping many, and he showed the ability to make clutch catches as a rookie

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's really getting absurd how you're assessing Janis and Abbrederis. While I agree that he has a ton of athleticism it's too bad the Packers don't compete in track and fields. Abbrederis is a way more polished receiver who has troubles staying healthy and that's the main reason why he dropped to the fifth round. Still, he was picked 60 spots ahead of Janis. So even the Packers front office considered him to be a better player than Janis, do you even realize that???
Janis has a much higher ceiling than Abbrederis.

Classic risk/reward scenario. Abbrederis is the better WR right now, but if Janis refines his skills he will surpass many of the players drafted ahead of him.

Janis can learn routes, timing, and use of hands, Abbrederis is never going to learn to be tall or fast.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis has a much higher ceiling than Abbrederis.

Classic risk/reward scenario. Abbrederis is the better WR right now, but if Janis refines his skills he will surpass many of the players drafted ahead of him.

Janis can learn routes, timing, and use of hands, Abbrederis is never going to learn to be tall or fast.

Abbrederis is 6-1, there are a lot of succesful receivers shorter than him. He should add some weight and muscles to be able to beat press coverage in the NFL.

He ran a 4.50 40 at the combine which is fast enough and was only 8/100 of a second slower than Janis.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Abbrederis is 6-1, there are a lot of succesful receivers shorter than him. He should add some weight and muscles to be able to beat press coverage in the NFL.

He ran a 4.50 40 at the combine which is fast enough and was only 8/100 of a second slower than Janis.
There are successful short WRs in the NFL, but being taller helps you get over CBs to catch balls.

There are successful slow WRs, but being faster helps you get open and to outrun CBs after a catch.

Combining height and speed the 2 assets play off each other and are even greater asset.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are successful short WRs in the NFL, but being taller helps you get over CBs to catch balls.

There are successful slow WRs, but being faster helps you get open and to outrun CBs after a catch.

Combining height and speed the 2 assets play off each other and are even greater asset.

Six of the top 10 receivers last season were under six feet tall. Two of them had a slower 40 yard time than Abbrederis.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Janis played a total of 15 snaps during the regular season with most of them coming in the fourth quarter of a blowout win vs. Minnesota. No one in their right mind would consider that as significant playing time.

And nobody did. However, someone in this conversation DID just try to claim he didn't get on the field.

It's really getting absurd how you're assessing Janis and Abbrederis. While I agree that he has a ton of athleticism it's too bad the Packers don't compete in track and fields. Abbrederis is a way more polished receiver who has troubles staying healthy and that's the main reason why he dropped to the fifth round.

And what good is a receiver who can't stay healthy? The idea that Abbrederis is a "way more polished" receiver is absurd. Janis completely tore up D-II, as any NFL caliber WR should. The Packers were smart enough to recognize this. Hell, he tore up D-II more so than Pierre Garcon tore up D-III. I suppose you think Abbrederis has more potential than Garcon too.

Still, he was picked 60 spots ahead of Janis. So even the Packers front office considered him to be a better player than Janis, do you even realize that???

If the Packers were faced with the decision of having to cut either one of those two guys TODAY, which do you think they would keep. If I were Abbrederis, I'd be worried.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The idea that Abbrederis is a "way more polished" receiver is absurd.
IMO it's absurd you don't think he is. That's his advantage over Janis. Otherwise explain why the Packers picked Abbrederis 60 spots ahead of Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

And what good is a receiver who can't stay healthy? The idea that Abbrederis is a "way more polished" receiver is absurd. Janis completely tore up D-II, as any NFL caliber WR should. The Packers were smart enough to recognize this. Hell, he tore up D-II more so than Pierre Garcon tore up D-III. I suppose you think Abbrederis has more potential than Garcon too.

I don't think Abbrederis will have a more productive career than Pierre Garcon. But I'm convinced he has way more potential than Freddy Martino, Torrance Allen, Justin Bernard and Justin Houston.

If the Packers were faced with the decision of having to cut either one of those two guys TODAY, which do you think they would keep. If I were Abbrederis, I'd be worried.

If the season started today the Packers would most likely put Abbrederis on the PUP list.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the season started today the Packers would most likely put Abbrederis on the PUP list.

I never said anything about if the season started today. I said if the Packers were faced with the decision of having to cut one of them today.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never said anything about if the season started today. I said if the Packers were faced with the decision of having to cut one of them today.

There's absolutely no point talking about it as the Packers won't have to cut any of their players for another three months.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO it's absurd you don't think he is. That's his advantage over Janis. Otherwise explain why the Packers picked Abbrederis 60 spots ahead of Janis.

had Janis done much of anything last year to take advantage of he fact that Abbredaris lost his rookie year I would say he may have moved ahead of him but IMO he didn't. Granted I didn't get to watch him (Janis) in camp all year but the fact that he was only on the field for 15 snaps kind of tells me I may not be far off in my thinking.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
had Janis done much of anything last year to take advantage of he fact that Abbredaris lost his rookie year I would say he may have moved ahead of him but IMO he didn't.

I was never aware that Abbrederis was ever ahead of Janis. Draft position doesn't determine where you fall on the depth chart. With all the new faces at WR, there's a very good chance Abbrederis doesn't even make the first cut unless he just blows up. I think Janis would have to absolutely crash and burn not to make the team again.

Granted I didn't get to watch him (Janis) in camp all year but the fact that he was only on the field for 15 snaps kind of tells me I may not be far off in my thinking.

It tells me the Packers are stacked at WR.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's absolutely no point talking about it as the Packers won't have to cut any of their players for another three months.

No, there was a point. It's called a hypothetical and the reason I proposed it is because you seem to think Abbrederis is clearly ahead of Janis. Since you dodged it, I'll just say it plainly. There's no way they would cut Janis today if they had to choose between the two right now. Do you disagree?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was never aware that Abbrederis was ever ahead of Janis. Draft position doesn't determine where you fall on the depth chart. With all the new faces at WR, there's a very good chance Abbrederis doesn't even make the first cut unless he just blows up. I think Janis would have to absolutely crash and burn not to make the team again.

It tells me the Packers are stacked at WR.

Obviously he was pretty far ahead in Ted's mind to be drafted 60 spots before. I have no idea, and neither does anyone else, TT or MM or you included, where Abbredaris and Janis would have fallen on the depth chart had Abby not been injured. If you want to make the claim that Janis is ahead of him now I wouldn't argue because I have said several times I think its pretty much a toss up for them for the 5th and 6th spots (I think Montgomery will move into the #4 spot) I think chances of Janis and Abbredaris making the team are probably equal if they keep 6 but if they only keep 5 I think chances that either one of them will be the odd man out is equally likely.

We may have a lot of WRs but I wouldn't say we are stacked. We are known as a pass first team and Aaron Rodgers is the best QB in the league. If that is the case I would think our #4 WR (Boykin) would have more than 3 receptions. 2 TEs (neither of which were considered great by any means) and 3 RBs had more receptions than our #4 WR. To me that just doesn't scream "stacked" at the WR position. It may mean we are sitting pretty good in the pass catching department but not necessarily at the WR position. Whether its Janis or Abby or someone else at the 5 and 6 spots (like I said I think Montgomery ends up #4 spot) I highly doubt we will see 10 catches between them.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Since you dodged it, I'll just say it plainly.
Since you apparently have a problem with others dodging questions how about answering this one: Why did the Packers pick Abbrederis 60 spots ahead of Janis?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want to make the claim that Janis is ahead of him now I wouldn't argue because I have said several times I think its pretty much a toss up for them for the 5th and 6th spots (I think Montgomery will move into the #4 spot) .

Just curious, but why do you assume the #4 spot will be handed to Montgomery? There is some significant concern about his hands both in terms of drops and fumbles. His route running has also been questioned with the majority of his catches coming on screens and fly routes. Seems his primary role will be that of a kick/punt returner than as a WR. He's as far from a polished WR than anyone else who is likely to make the roster. Heck, I could almost see him making a switch to RB with his build and skill set, and that's not intended as a knock on him. I like him a lot, actually.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

None of the undrafted free agents receivers even came close to Abbrederis' production in college but nearly all of them played at least part of their careers at the FBS level, which is two levels above of Saginaw Valley State.

It's probable most of them are more polished receivers than Janis while not having his athleticism. Nevertheless if they're able to get open on NFL corners they will earn the QB's trust way faster than a guy running the wrong routes constantly and not using his catching radius.

Once again, the main concern with Abbrederis is his ability to stay healthy. I agree it doesn't do the Packers any good if he can't get on the field but there really shouldn't be any doubt as to who is the more polished receiver out of him and Janis.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just curious, but why do you assume the #4 spot will be handed to Montgomery? There is some significant concern about his hands both in terms of drops and fumbles. His route running has also been questioned with the majority of his catches coming on screens and fly routes. Seems his primary role will be that of a kick/punt returner than as a WR. He's as far from a polished WR than anyone else who is likely to make the roster. Heck, I could almost see him making a switch to RB with his build and skill set, and that's not intended as a knock on him. I like him a lot, actually.

Montgomery will make the roster for sure as Thompson won't give up on a third round pick.

It's funny that you are concerned about Montgomery's route running and being far from a polished receiver while you completely negate these things when it comes to Janis.

BTW Montgomery had a single reception on a fly route last season.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since you apparently have a problem with others dodging questions how about answering this one: Why did the Packers pick Abbrederis 60 spots ahead of Janis?

I can't answer that (they figured Janis was below the radar? they made a mistake?), but it opens a fun discussion - why was Jones drafted ahead of Lacy, why was Perry drafted ahead of Daniels?

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't answer that (they figured Janis was below the radar? they made a mistake?), but it opens a fun discussion - why was Jones drafted ahead of Lacy, why was Perry drafted ahead of Daniels?

The Packers drafted Abbrederis 60 spots ahead of Janis because at that time they thought he was the better player. Your examples prove that it doesn't always work out that way in the long haul but Janis hasn't done anything so far that deserves him being considered a better receiver than Abbrederis.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I can't answer that ...
That's OK since it wasn't directed at you; it was directed at GoPGo for a reason. In his excitement over Janis, he craps on Abbrederis posting things like "I was never aware that Abbrederis was ever ahead of Janis" and that "The idea that Abbrederis is a 'way more polished' receiver is absurd", when the fact is Abbrederis was taken 60 players ahead of Janis. The obvious implication is after all the hours of evaluation that goes into the draft, the Packers determined Abbrederis was a better prospect than Janis. But according to GoPGo Abbrederis had no advantage whatever in the minds of the Packers personnel and coaching staffs over Janis. And that's what is absurd.

And again, I hope both players succeed, but the way he’s posting that’s apparently not the case with GoPGo.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I never said it will be handed to him I said I think he will move into it and that he ends up there. I don't really give a rats behind who is #4,5,6,7,8,9 whatever until August. That's when I will start paying attention to depth charts. Right now beyond 1,2,3, it wouldn't really surprise me who makes it. Will Montgomery be #4 going into TC, maybe not, maybe they will all be #4, maybe none of them will be #4. I just think his play making ability and ability to make defenders miss will allow him to move into the #4 spot. I don't think it will be handed to him I think he will earn it. Just like Abby and Janis will have to earn their spot, wherever it is.

I don't have anything against Janis and like TJV says I hope both he and Abbredaris succeed with the Packers. On the other hand if neither one of them do and it turns out to be someone else I won't care either. Whoever it ends up being, Janis, Abbredaris, White or one of the other rookie FAs, I hope the best ones make the team.

Someone made the claim we all have a thing for Abby because he was a Badger. I have never seen a Badger game in my life and I went to UWEC (Lee Weigel anyone?) so honestly I really want the best guys on the team. If it's Janis I'm fine with that. If its Abbredaris, great. If it is someone else again, I assume they will be better players. My whole point was that Janis had a full season to make something of himself and move ahead of Abby or put himself even further ahead (if you think he was ahead of him in the first place) and IMO he didn't do it. As far as I am concerned they are all still pretty much at the bottom of the barrel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts