Jairus Bryd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if Collins had never gotten hurt he would have been a free agent this year. If everything else stays the same Burnett still gets his deal and then what we dont resign Collins because you cant allocate that much $ to the safety position?

There's big difference between signing your own guy to a big deal compared to a free agent. The Packers know everything possible there is know about their own guys and are able to assess the risk of the deal much better.

With Byrd for example, if he's so good and reaches free agency, why are the Bills not willing to pay him what he wants? There's a question I always wonder with big name free agents.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There's big difference between signing your own guy to a big deal compared to a free agent. The Packers know everything possible there is know about their own guys and are able to assess the risk of the deal much better.

With Byrd for example, if he's so good and reaches free agency, why are the Bills not willing to pay him what he wants? There's a question I always wonder with big name free agents.

Good points. Bottom line is Burnett is going to have to play because of contract. I agree with others on here that he is not a true free safety. The only problem is I saw him get "ran over" a lot by running backs which really scares me having him playing closer to the line. I don't know if Byrd is the answer. I know rookies are rookies but maybe a guy like Calvin Pryor can come in and make the safety position more of an "interchangeable one". One where both safeties play various roles. Also, I've been touting Chris Clemons but nobody seems to think he is worthy. I do. I think the Byrd talk should stop because there is no way TT is going to sign him. I suppose if they release Williams they could make a run at Byrd but I just don't see that happening.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have to disagree with that. Teams make a lot of mistakes by either re- signing their own free agents or letting them leaves as well (Burnett, Jones last year as an example). And there's no cap advantage in signing your own guys.

The Bills tried to re-sign him, even offering him to be the highest paid safety for a portion of the deal, he just didn't want to stay in Buffalo.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to disagree with that. Teams make a lot of mistakes by either re- signing their own free agents or letting them leaves as well (Burnett, Jones last year as an example). And there's no cap advantage in signing your own guys.

Of course teams make mistakes either way, but I just think the risk is less with your own guys. Jennings and Walden are good examples last year of the Packers not paying how they wanted and the Vikings and Colts paying too much. Also, letting a guy go mistakenly is not costly at all compared to signing a bust. It's a whole different thing.

The Bills tried to re-sign him, even offering him to be the highest paid safety for a portion of the deal, he just didn't want to stay in Buffalo.

Didn't know that about Byrd, but there are big name guys who leave their teams without an offer and there's got to be a reason why.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Now that Shields is signed and hopefully Raji deal gets done and he moves to nose the focus can go to Safety and inside linebacker. IMO, while I really like Deone Bucannon he might be somewhat of a liability in the passing game, so it makes him kind of risky. Ha Ha Dix I don't think is the guy but I could be wrong. I hope they draft Calvin Pryor cause while everyone is talking Jarius Byrd I really don't see TT shelling out 12-14 mill to sign him. I think this guy can handle Kaepernick just fine and has good enough ball skills.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

But there are big name guys who leave their teams without an offer and there's got to be a reason why.

Agreed. Sometimes the reasoning behind is because of a team's salary cap, other times is because they think the player isn't worth the money he's asking for and they rather let him walk than overpay him. Most of the time this is a good decision and the reason I don't want the Packers to sign every big name free agent that hits the market (as suggested by others in threads about Sproles, Pettigrew...).

But I think it's a way different story with Byrd (he could be the best free agent hitting the market in a long and for a long time), I think that guy would be worth every penny and would immediately improve this defense tremendously.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Capers has great success, he has had an elite safety to help operate it, ie the Woodson's. The Byrd signing would be transformative for our team in so many ways, taking our weakest position on defense and instantly making it our best. There is a clear lack of veteran defensive leadership on our team, and this kind of signing would send excitement and belief that our D can become a force. Originally being from western ny, I try to follow the bills and all my friends from childhood are Bills fans. This guy is unarguably a top 5 safety and one of the best natural ball hawks in the last decade - in his prime, nonetheless. There comes a price tag with that kind of player, but it makes too much sense not to go this route. I have little doubt TT is exploring this option, but there are never any guarantees that he'll want to play in GB if he gets a similar offer from another team. Time will tell, but Byrd has zero red flags and a rookie safety isn't going to be able to handle the complexities of Capers' scheme, comfortably, until year three.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see the Packers sign Byrd now that Shields is under contract. The Packers would have a solid back four plus nickle/dime corner in Heyward. With Byrd and Shields under contact, focus on resigning Nelson and Cobb and improving through the draft and internal development.

Out of all of the free agent safeties, I think Byrd is the safest bet. He played under the franchise tag last year and played extremely well.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Byrd will be a beast here but be prepared to say bye to Cobb as Jordy is probably going to get locked up this season and the money Cobb would expect would be tied up in Byrd plus some. As much as I like Byrd I would like weapons for Rodgers and Cobb is a weapon.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Byrd will be a beast here but be prepared to say bye to Cobb as Jordy is probably going to get locked up this season and the money Cobb would expect would be tied up in Byrd plus some. As much as I like Byrd I would like weapons for Rodgers and Cobb is a weapon.

Jordy and Randall can be kept. There has to be a way Im no cap guru but I have to believe it can be done even with a signing of Byrd.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy and Randall can be kept. There has to be a way Im no cap guru but I have to believe it can be done even with a signing of Byrd.

None the less it would be wise to lock up Cobb soon as well. If he goes out and has a monster yr then he's going to be even more expensive. TT waited to long to sign Shields as well which . Prolly coulda saved a couple mil had he resigned him before the season. As for Jordy ? He is probably waiting to see what guys like Decker and Nicks get before he resigns.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None the less it would be wise to lock up Cobb soon as well. If he goes out and has a monster yr then he's going to be even more expensive. TT waited to long to sign Shields as well which . Prolly coulda saved a couple mil had he resigned him before the season. As for Jordy ? He is probably waiting to see what guys like Decker and Nicks get before he resigns.

But you're saying be prepared to say goodbye to Cobb if he signs Byrd, and I'm saying that there has to be a way to sign Byrd and keep Jordy AND Randall. And to your point about waiting too long to sign Shields just furthermore supports that TT can't win regardless of what he does. Had he done this last year it would have been too soon, if he had let him walk he refuses to shell out $ to good players. Instead he does what everyone and their brother wanted him to do and sign him but now he waited too long.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Question to those advocating spending huge $ to sign Byrd:
How many of you have seen any full Bills games?
Has anyone here watched him play even?

Do you think there is any chance Nick Collins comes back? Any chance at all?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But you're saying be prepared to say goodbye to Cobb if he signs Byrd, and I'm saying that there has to be a way to sign Byrd and keep Jordy AND Randall. And to your point about waiting too long to sign Shields just furthermore supports that TT can't win regardless of what he does. Had he done this last year it would have been too soon, if he had let him walk he refuses to shell out $ to good players. Instead he does what everyone and their brother wanted him to do and sign him but now he waited too long.

I'm talking about from a financial standpoint man goodness. If he would have signed Shields earlier coulda saved about two mil a yr is all I'm saying. Instead Shields had a solid yr in a bad secondary is all I'm saying.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it would be possible to keep both Nelson and Cobb even if the Packers would sign Byrd, especially as the cap is expected to raise another $7 million for 2015 and even further in 2016.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be possible to keep both Nelson and Cobb even if the Packers would sign Byrd, especially as the cap is expected to raise another $7 million for 2015 and even further in 2016.

We have the best QB in the NFL and a proven track record of being able to develop wide receivers. I LIKE having Cobb and Nelson and certainly hope we re-sign both of them. However, the flip side is that the offense isn't what's keeping us from winning a title. We just added a very good running game to the offense. The Patriots won THREE Super Bowls with a collection of "who's that guy" playing WR. If improving the defense comes at the expense of letting Cobb walk, then I would be all for it. Now, I'm not saying that we should spend Cobb's money on defense just to spend it, I'm saying that if the choice is Byrd or Cobb, I'd take Byrd...though I should mention I'm not generally a big fan of signing top-tier free agents. I would personally prefer a combo of Spikes/Clemons to Byrd but I might be in the minority there.

D

Deleted member 6794

We have the best QB in the NFL and a proven track record of being able to develop wide receivers. I LIKE having Cobb and Nelson and certainly hope we re-sign both of them. However, the flip side is that the offense isn't what's keeping us from winning a title. We just added a very good running game to the offense. The Patriots won THREE Super Bowls with a collection of "who's that guy" playing WR. If improving the defense comes at the expense of letting Cobb walk, then I would be all for it. Now, I'm not saying that we should spend Cobb's money on defense just to spend it, I'm saying that if the choice is Byrd or Cobb, I'd take Byrd...though I should mention I'm not generally a big fan of signing top-tier free agents. I would personally prefer a combo of Spikes/Clemons to Byrd but I might be in the minority there.

I agree with nearly everything you said. Spikes is a great at defending the run, the problem with him is that you have to replace him on obvious passing downs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with nearly everything you said. Spikes is a great at defending the run, the problem with him is that you have to replace him on obvious passing downs.

Yeah, that's his weakness but I figure we gave Brad Jones his contract for a reason so let him earn it. Defense takes a linebacker off the field anyway in obvious passing situations and Spikes would really improve our run defense. Seems like he might be a little bit of a locker room problem though, so he'd have to come relatively cheap.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, that's his weakness but I figure we gave Brad Jones his contract for a reason so let him earn it. Defense takes a linebacker off the field anyway in obvious passing situations and Spikes would really improve our run defense. Seems like he might be a little bit of a locker room problem though, so he'd have to come relatively cheap.

Actually the Packers don´t take a LB off the field in the nickel package. The DL in the nickel package (five DBs) consists of two DEs and two OLBs (with the NT coming off the field) with the two ILBs staying on the field. Normally one of the ILBs only leaves the field when the Packers move to their dime package.

That´s why I´m not a big fan of signing Spikes (don´t know a lot about his troubles in the locker room though).

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spikes is a slight upgrade over Hawk but I'd rather see someone like Navarro Bowman or Patrick Willis in the middle. Niners arnt going to be able to keep both.... Especially with Smiths contract coming up. That's where Green Bay comes in and swoopes one up ;)

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spikes is a slight upgrade over Hawk but I'd rather see someone like Navarro Bowman or Patrick Willis in the middle. Niners arnt going to be able to keep both.... Especially with Smiths contract coming up. That's where Green Bay comes in and swoopes one up ;)

Well Willis and Bowman are locked up for the next 3 and 5 years respectively. It would be amazing to have a guy like Bowman on this team but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts