Jairus Bryd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/03/05/free-agent-profile-jairus-byrd/

While Jairus Byrd might not have the kind of ‘pure’ range that I thought he had before I started watching the tape more closely, he does have the ‘practical’ range to mean it doesn’t really matter. You can’t ask Byrd to do exactly what Earl Thomas does, but you can ask him to play the same role in a close copy of that defense and expect him to excel.

Byrd doesn’t run a 4.3, and he can’t fly to the football like Earl Thomas can – because that’s a very rare ability – but Byrd excels at a variety of other skills that enables him to make up the difference in raw speed and play every bit as well as Thomas in a similar role.

If you’re looking to recreate the Seattle defense you’re going to need your version of a rangy free safety to play the deep middle. Jairus Byrd can’t run like the wind, but he is one of the few players that can handle that role and make that defense possible.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For comparisons sake I'll use the deal Goldson signed last season for 5 yrs/41.25 with $18 guaranteed. This gives him cap #'s of 8.735, 9, 8, 8,and 7.25. No dead money after 2015 so he can be cut after 2015 with no further cap implications correct? If we could get Byrd for this kind of a deal, probably would have to up the guaranteed $ some, I'd be fine with it. Not sure if this is a good comparison but I just wanted to use to give an idea on what it would take.

D

Deleted member 6794

For comparisons sake I'll use the deal Goldson signed last season for 5 yrs/41.25 with $18 guaranteed. This gives him cap #'s of 8.735, 9, 8, 8,and 7.25. No dead money after 2015 so he can be cut after 2015 with no further cap implications correct? If we could get Byrd for this kind of a deal, probably would have to up the guaranteed $ some, I'd be fine with it. Not sure if this is a good comparison but I just wanted to use to give an idea on what it would take.

I would do that deal for Byrd in a heartbeat. But while the Bucs highly overpaid for Goldson IMO, Byrd is in a different ballpark and won´t sign for that kind of a deal.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would do that deal for Byrd in a heartbeat. But while the Bucs highly overpaid for Goldson IMO, Byrd is in a different ballpark and won´t sign for that kind of a deal.

What kind of a deal do you think then?

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, he turned down an offer by the Bills which would have made him the highest paid safety for part of the deal, so I guess he´s asking for more than Eric Berry is making (APY of $8.3 million). I guess it take around $10 million with a good chunk of it guaranteed to sign him.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

About 10 per yr. I honestly think he just wants out of buffalo hence the reason he turned down their offer. I think that if a team that had a chance to win a SB offers him the same deal he jumps on it. My bottom dollar says if that deal comes from New england, or Green Bay he would take it .

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I respect your opinion, I don´t understand the reasoning behind it. IMO Byrd is as good as Nick Collins was at the time he got injured and if TT would have let Collins walk cause he would have asked for too much money people would have bashed TT for it. Just because Byrd played for another team doesn´t mean it would be a bad idea to sign one of the best free safeties in the league.

This is another great point that I previously overlooked. Collins would have been a free agent this year and most certainly would be in the neighborhood of what Byrd will most likely sign for. I don't think there's much doubt that TT would have made a furious attempt to keep him and most likely would have. I have definitely changed my stance on signing Byrd based on today.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Byrd will be the highest paid safety in the NFL. Polamalu is current the highest paid at slightly under $10m per season (this was prior to his extension, not sure of the number now). Byrd will be making over $10m per year, one of the reasons I'm not a fan of signing him.

PackersBacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You've got to think that Byrd will be commanding Dashon Goldson-type money. Can we afford it? Yes, but even with the FO saying we will be active in free agency, I don't think they will be dishing out big contracts like that.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The chances of it happening are very slim, but I hate the attitude of just laughing at it and throwing it out the window because it's a big name.

There's probably just a handful of teams that could afford him. We're one of them. Of those teams, there's only probably a few that have a major need at safety. We're one of them. He's used to playing in cold weather, even. So of course, the fit is certainly there. Byrd would be a tremendous improvement for our defense. If you were okay with the alleged $8M offer to Raji last year, certainly Byrd would be well worth the price at $9M.

Is there anything wrong with just following the market for him and bowing out if it gets too high, rather than just throwing out the idea from the get-go? Seems pretty foolish to me to just slam the door on a possible avenue of improving the team.

I know we all remember Woodson, but one thing we may not all remember is Thompson made a pretty serious play for LaVar Arrington that year, who was a major free agent that year. I know he's extremely averse to signing big name free agents, I get that. But I hate just completely throwing an idea out the window because we almost never do it. I think even Thompson would tell you that he has a duty as a GM to consider everything possible that will improve the team, even if it doesn't lead to anything. And that's okay if it doesn't.

It's like we have been conditioned to just disregard the top 10 FA's on the market every year.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The chances of it happening are very slim, but I hate the attitude of just laughing at it and throwing it out the window because it's a big name.

There's probably just a handful of teams that could afford him. We're one of them. Of those teams, there's only probably a few that have a major need at safety. We're one of them. He's used to playing in cold weather, even. So of course, the fit is certainly there. Byrd would be a tremendous improvement for our defense. If you were okay with the alleged $8M offer to Raji last year, certainly Byrd would be well worth the price at $9M.

Is there anything wrong with just following the market for him and bowing out if it gets too high, rather than just throwing out the idea from the get-go? Seems pretty foolish to me to just slam the door on a possible avenue of improving the team.

I know we all remember Woodson, but one thing we may not all remember is Thompson made a pretty serious play for LaVar Arrington that year, who was a major free agent that year. I know he's extremely averse to signing big name free agents, I get that. But I hate just completely throwing an idea out the window because we almost never do it. I think even Thompson would tell you that he has a duty as a GM to consider everything possible that will improve the team, even if it doesn't lead to anything. And that's okay if it doesn't.

It's like we have been conditioned to just disregard the top 10 FA's on the market every year.

I'll admit I was completely against even going after Byrd but after today and looking at it I am all in for this.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also like to point out something that gets a little overlooked when signing a guy like Byrd.

In our position you essentially save a first round pick when you sign such a player. Not to mention for that guy you get someone that you already KNOW is good alright and isn't a bust. If we sign Byrd, we don't need to draft a safety. We can focus our first round pick on other needs like ILB and D-line. We have plenty of needs on D, nothing wrong with knocking out a huge one in the first. And we don't have to forfeit a draft pick to do it.

The only factor is the money. It's a big one. I get that. But I don't know why anyone would be so dismissive of acquiring a guy who would be an instant huge factor for our defense just based on cost alone. We are getting Tramon off the books next year at $9.5M and the salary cap is going up. I know we have guys to sign. But there are still opportunities.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's 2 things. 1. I think I've just accepted the fact that big name free agents probably arent an option here (outside of Woodson ofcourse) and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Woodson wasn't exactly a premiere name when we signed him. He was a guy not many teams were interested and ultimately was had at a huge discount.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont care if we had Byrd, Revis, Sherman etc.... if the pass rush does not get even a sufficent amount of push to the QB, any....ANY QB will stand in and pick us apart. No matter how good a secondary is, if we dont hit home on the rush, some WR is eventually gunna come open....since we play a lot of softer zone, that being picked apart will happen more often. We just don't have the guys with the physical attributes and the know how to play a good consistant man to man coverage.... not to mention when we actually do switch to a man coverage, the damn LB's let the damn QB take off and run for 20 yards. There are many holes to fix and I agree it needs to start in the secondary, but a great pass rush only needs a servicable secondary to make a good combo.

This is a bit of a contradiction, but I agree in principle with the point being made: A good, solid pass rush will upgrade any and every secondary. That's where I'd start with this defense.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also like to point out something that gets a little overlooked when signing a guy like Byrd.

In our position you essentially save a first round pick when you sign such a player. Not to mention for that guy you get someone that you already KNOW is good alright and isn't a bust. If we sign Byrd, we don't need to draft a safety. We can focus our first round pick on other needs like ILB and D-line. We have plenty of needs on D, nothing wrong with knocking out a huge one in the first. And we don't have to forfeit a draft pick to do it.

The only factor is the money. It's a big one. I get that. But I don't know why anyone would be so dismissive of acquiring a guy who would be an instant huge factor for our defense just based on cost alone. We are getting Tramon off the books next year at $9.5M and the salary cap is going up. I know we have guys to sign. But there are still opportunities.

I get what you're saying but it's just hard to imagine it happening and I think at least for me is a big reason why it's easy to dismiss an opportunity like this. As big of a TT supporter as I am he just doesn't make moves like this. That being said I want him to make it happen.

D

Deleted member 6794

My thoughts exactly. Save the cap money, we are going to need it this coming season to sign our own guys. We can find a safety in the draft somewhere in rounds 1-4.

OK, let me ask you one thing. If Nick Collins would have stayed healthy woud you have liked TT to re-sign him to a long term deal after the 2012 season, even if he would have asked for $10 million a year???

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure Collins would have been worth the money and Byrd is def. worth 9 mil per which is likely what it will take to sign him. Whoever said he wants out of Buffalo is correct. The one difference between Byrd and Collins is long speed. Byrd at his pro day before the 2009 draft ran a 4.68 40 at 5'10" 207 but he did have a 1.53 10 yard split and a 2.68 20 yard split. With very good 20 yard shuttle 4.10 and 3 cone drill 6.75 times. He put up 225 pounds 15 times and had a 35" vertical. Collins was 5'11" 206 and ran a 4.36 40 at the combine prior to the 2005 draft. His 10 yard split was 1.61 and his 20 yard split was 2.62. He recorded a 40" vertical, benched 225 11 times and had 20 yard shuttle and 3 cone times of 4.16 and 6.94. So Collins was faster over a long distance but Byrd was actually faster in the first 10 yards and they were basically equal after 20 yards but Byrd had slightly better change of direction/quickness.

The more I think about this the more I hope TT takes the gamble and signs Byrd to a big money contract it seems this is the closest the Packers could get to replacing Collins finally. Especially hearing that 22 picks on 121 career targets stat.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woodson wasn't exactly a premiere name when we signed him. He was a guy not many teams were interested and ultimately was had at a huge discount.

We gave Woodson a contract of 7 years and 52 million, and at the time the salary cap was over 30 million less than it is now, and that's not including rollover cap. Off the top of my head I would guess it was the largest free agent contract in franchise history.

Its true that the market for Woodson that year was less than he expected but suggesting that it wasn't a premiere signing is definitely rewriting history a bit.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Cheaper??? Yes. Same Impact??? NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

"News Flash" How many interceptions did our safeties have? Hmmm. Byrd is obvious an elite safety but Chris Clemons is no slouch. Please don't discount Chris Clemons. I suggest you watch some film of him. TT is never gonna sign Byrd and pay that kind of money. Clemons would be a 100 percent improvement over current safety situation. He would be "better value" and allow TT to get "another player" as well which is good considering the holes we have on defense. We have to live in reality here I think. I would be doing kart-wheels if pack got Chris Clemons along with D'qwell Jackson. We could get both those guys for what it would take to get Byrd.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
sign Chris Clemons (Miami) and draft Calvin Pryor. Problem fixed

D

Deleted member 6794

"News Flash" How many interceptions did our safeties have? Hmmm. Byrd is obvious an elite safety but Chris Clemons is no slouch. Please don't discount Chris Clemons. I suggest you watch some film of him. TT is never gonna sign Byrd and pay that kind of money. Clemons would be a 100 percent improvement over current safety situation. He would be "better value" and allow TT to get "another player" as well which is good considering the holes we have on defense. We have to live in reality here I think. I would be doing kart-wheels if pack got Chris Clemons along with D'qwell Jackson. We could get both those guys for what it would take to get Byrd.

Don't get me wrong, I was actually in favour of signing Clemons (and still am if we don't get Byrd) and I know he would be an upgrade over everybody on our roster. But by no means would his impact be close to what Byrd would bring.

D'Qwell Jackson has already signed with the Colts.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. Save the cap money, we are going to need it this coming season to sign our own guys. We can find a safety in the draft somewhere in rounds 1-4.

Like McMillian?

-I don't have much faith in our scouting on the defensive side of the ball these days...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I was actually in favour of signing Clemons (and still am if we don't get Byrd) and I know he would be an upgrade over everybody on our roster. But by no means would his impact be close to what Byrd would bring.

D'Qwell Jackson has already signed with the Colts.

I see that. I really wish TT would of at least took a shot at Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts