Jairus Bryd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are saying 4 years 39mil 12.5 signing bonus.... I guess 15 mil year 1 then 6 Mil year 2 and 9 Mil year three.... I Wonder if they will even try signing any Safety through free agency....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are saying 4 years 39mil 12.5 signing bonus.... I guess 15 mil year 1 then 6 Mil year 2 and 9 Mil year three.... I Wonder if they will even try signing any Safety through free agency....

Not how it works. His salary is 2.5M + 12.5M/4. So his cap hit is $5.8M and change. The numbers are the cash paid out to him.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He might have

Looks like Shields is buttoned up. Your right. Go for Byrd and draft Pryor, Secondary would be sweet. Get Borland in 3rd. I hope Raji deal gets done,

It's only 5 mill against the cap this year. Draft Pryor now.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess its a pretty good deal all around then ..... I'm just glad they got him signed.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Its huge signing Shields. Were set at corner now. With Hayward coming back and Hyde emerging. TT doesnt have to draft a corner with a top pick.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its huge signing Shields. Were set at corner now. With Hayward coming back and Hyde emerging. TT doesnt have to draft a corner with a top pick.

I'd still like to see a CB taken in the first 3 rounds. Shields' new deal is not front-loaded, so if he's not playing to the 10 mil a year he's getting, he'll probably have to restructure or be cut in 2 years. I don't think Rosenhaus is going to be keen on a restructure. Considering that and the fact that this is a deep draft at CB, I think we have to take one early still. If Dennard or Gilbert fall to us in the 1st, I'd be okay with that. Otherwise, we can use one of our 3rds on a CB.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'd still like to see a CB taken in the first 3 rounds. Shields' new deal is not front-loaded, so if he's not playing to the 10 mil a year he's getting, he'll probably have to restructure or be cut in 2 years. I don't think Rosenhaus is going to be keen on a restructure. Considering that and the fact that this is a deep draft at CB, I think we have to take one early still. If Dennard or Gilbert fall to us in the 1st, I'd be okay with that. Otherwise, we can use one of our 3rds on a CB.[/quote
n

We have Hayward, House, and Hyde. Why draft another corner with first round pick. Get one in mid-rounds. A develop type guy. We need a safety way more now then a corner and now that Shields is signed corner is not a "need now" position.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree I brought Whitner up before... I think he can make Burnett a better player...

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question to those advocating spending huge $ to sign Byrd:
How many of you have seen any full Bills games?
Has anyone here watched him play even?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I agree. A lot of people seem to think bringing Byrd in is guaranteed success. It's really a huge gamble. I like Chris Clemons and yeah I watched Clemons play a lot. I also like Calvin Pryor. I don't think TT needs to go spend 12 mill or so on Byrd. Add Clemons or Pryor or both of those guys and get some more speed in the middle at linebacker. Hopefully Raji signs and gets moved back to the nose and I think the D can "roll".

H

HardRightEdge

For good or ill, Burnett's deal makes signing Byrd prohibitive. That much money can't be allocated to the safety position.

Look to the second tier FAs and the draft.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes, I can say I've seen a fair amount of Byrd. He's been an outstanding player on a very good defense. He's certainly in the All Pro ballpark. However, the Bills have a couple of other pretty decent safeties.

The Bills just gave Aaron Williams an extension paying $6.5 mil per year over 4 years after converting from CB last year. Good player; backfield leader with Byrd's departure. The thinking here looks a lot like the Packer thinking when they signed Burnett...a bit of reach with the money based on one year with the expectation of some progress with experience. The Bills seem to have a better knack for assessing defensive players though.

I was also impressed with De'Norris Searcy who got a fair number of snaps filling in for Byrd.

With that combo, they were smart to let Byrd go and use the money elsewhere.

As an aside, isn't there an inherent problem in giving a safety $10 mil per year, or whatever it is Byrd is looking for? This may sound crude, but I've heard it said by NFL personnel men and I tend to agree: you don't pay that kind of money to a guy who's in on fewer than 1/2 the plays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For good or ill, Burnett's deal makes signing Byrd prohibitive. That much money can't be allocated to the safety position.

Look to the second tier FAs and the draft.

I understand what you're saying here but the position needs an overhaul regardless of what Burnett is making. IMO what he is making should have no bearing on who TT decides to sign. We need hell there bottom line and if Byrd brings that he should be an option. He could also help Burnett get back to a point where he will earn his deal.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did make an offer to Byrd but he declined it...then they went and signed Williams.. I think the Packers signing Shields is huge. Signing Byrd would be nice but they are not breaking the bank on him. The Bills did everything they could to keep Byrd in Buffalo but I don't think he wanted to stay there. We will see what the Pack do in Free agency.

H

HardRightEdge

I understand what you're saying here but the position needs an overhaul regardless of what Burnett is making. IMO what he is making should have no bearing on who TT decides to sign. We need hell there bottom line and if Byrd brings that he should be an option. He could also help Burnett get back to a point where he will earn his deal.
Burnett will play, like it or not. Too much has been committed. If he self-destructs it will be well into the season and damage control takes over.

Now it's just a question of finding a decent running mate without breaking the bank. It looks like it's going to be Hyde, but it seems nobody wants to believe the coach.

I continue to maintain Burnett is not a free safety. Call it football smarts, instincts, an insufficiently quick mind...he should not be calling the signals. Relieved of those duties, he'll be a better player. Perhaps much better.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They did make an offer to Byrd but he declined it...then they went and signed Williams.. I think the Packers signing Shields is huge. Signing Byrd would be nice but they are not breaking the bank on him. The Bills did everything they could to keep Byrd in Buffalo but I don't think he wanted to stay there. We will see what the Pack do in Free agency.

If they arent breaking the bank tjey arent getting him

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett will play, like it or not. Too much has been committed. If he self-destructs it will be well into the season and damage control takes over.

Now it's just a question of finding a decent running mate without breaking the bank. It looks like it's going to be Hyde, but it seems nobody wants to believe the coach.

I continue to maintain Burnett is not a free safety. Call it football smarts, instincts, an insufficiently quick mind...he should not be calling the signals. Relieved of those duties, he'll be a better player. Perhaps much better.

Why not have that running mate be Byrd though? If he can turn the position as a whole around and help get us to our ultimate goal then $ shouldnt stand in the way of that considering our situation in regards to cap space.

H

HardRightEdge

I think that mis-spins the situation in Buffalo.

The Bills made an offer. We don't know precisely how much it was for. Byrd rejected it. The Bills could have elected to go with a 2nd. franchise year or raise their offer (as we did with Shields)...they did not. So, it is certainly not the case "they did everything they could to keep Byrd."

Once they decided Byrd would not accept their best offer they extended Williams, not "went and signed him". He was already signed through 2014. Byrd's loss allowed them to lock in a valued player. Williams would not have been extended had Byrd signed because, to repeat, that much money can't be allocated to the safety position.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that mis-spins the situation in Buffalo.

The Bills made an offer. We don't know precisely how much it was for. Byrd rejected it. The Bills could have elected to go with a 2nd. franchise year or raise their offer (as we did with Shields)...they did not. So, it is certainly not the case "they did everything they could to keep Byrd."

Once they decided Byrd would not accept their best offer they extended Williams, not "went and signed him". He was already signed through 2014. Byrd's loss allowed them to lock in a valued player. Williams would not have been extended had Byrd signed because, to repeat, that much money can't be allocated to the safety position.

So if Collins had never gotten hurt he would have been a free agent this year. If everything else stays the same Burnett still gets his deal and then what we dont resign Collins because you cant allocate that much $ to the safety position?

H

HardRightEdge

Why not have that running mate be Byrd though? If he can turn the position as a whole around and help get us to our ultimate goal then $ shouldnt stand in the way of that considering our situation in regards to cap space.
If we had a quality front 7 with young, cheap players along with the CB crew we have, then it would be something to consider.

But we don't. There a number of mediocrities and outright holes in this defense that need to be filled. Fixing safety does not fix this defense.

H

HardRightEdge

So if Collins had never gotten hurt he would have been a free agent this year. If everything else stays the same Burnett still gets his deal and then what we don't resign Collins because you cant allocate that much $ to the safety position?
Collins would be 30 years old.

Yes, there would have been a good chance he would have gone the way of Jennings. A lot would have depended on Burnett. If Burnett played like a guy who looked like he could take Collins' place at FS and lead the backfield while Collins was asking for big money, Burnett would be getting the big new contract this year (not the one-year-early extension he got last year) and Collins would be gone.

Losing Collins was double damage. We lost a good player and because of that loss the Packers reached a bit with Burnett's money a year early (as the Bills are doing with Williams). Burnett did not take the step up he's being paid for. I think we can all agree Burnett would be unsigned and entering free agency right now given the way he played last year if he was asking for any kind of money now.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, Williams is in his contract year and neither Hayward nor Hyde look like island cover corners. I think McCarthy has made it pretty clear his preference is for Heyward at nickel and Hyde at safety which, coincidentally, makes a good deal of sense. ;)

I think we have to take Nix in the first round if he's there. After that I could see any number of possibilities including a cover corner in the second round if there's exceptional value available relative to the safety value at that point.

House has shown flashes at cover corner; one would like to pencil him in as Williams' replacement. But he's just too erratic. He'll have to be in a competitive situation and earn the job over somebody of some talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts