It's time to acknowledge that the Lions are for real

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, I know i have watched them 3 full games and 2 partial games...... And i have to say this about the lions: a puppy not crapping on the rug impresses me more than they do.
I have only watched the Lions play the Packers and then portions of a couple of their games (and highlights), so I haven’t seen as much of them as you have. Of course I hope your right and it’d be fantastic if the Packers had the division wrapped up before their final game. I understand you’re thoroughly unimpressed with the Lions but were you not impressed with their domination of the Packers on both sides of the ball on September 21st? You don’t think they were lucky in that game, do you? For example, they had a longer injury list than the Packers - they were missing an ILB and their secondary was depleted. Yet Rodgers had his second lowest passer rating of the season at 88.8, more than 17 points below his career average.

Don’t get me wrong, the Packers are obviously playing better on both sides of the ball and the Packers’ home field advantage is just that – a real advantage. But I think it’s likely both the Packers and Lions lose one more game between now and December 28th. I expect the Packers will win but I don’t expect it to be a ‘walk in the park’ as you are implying.

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All that I will say is that when the #1 defense in the NFL plays the #3 defense in the NFL, I would expect a 14-6 game. The Lions held the Packers to 7 points in Week 3, albeit prior to the RELAX Proclamation.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I have only watched the Lions play the Packers and then portions of a couple of their games (and highlights), so I haven’t seen as much of them as you have. Of course I hope your right and it’d be fantastic if the Packers had the division wrapped up before their final game. I understand you’re thoroughly unimpressed with the Lions but were you not impressed with their domination of the Packers on both sides of the ball on September 21st? You don’t think they were lucky in that game, do you? For example, they had a longer injury list than the Packers - they were missing an ILB and their secondary was depleted. Yet Rodgers had is second lowest passer rating of the season at 88.8, more than 17 points below his career average.

Don’t get me wrong, the Packers are obviously playing better on both sides of the ball and the Packers’ home field advantage is just that – a real advantage. But I think it’s likely both the Packers and Lions lose one more game between now and December 28th. I expect the Packers will win but I don’t expect it to be a ‘walk in the park’ as you are implying.

Well, nowhere did i say it was a walk in the park....but....we have,as you stated, home field and a dome team playing outside. Also, espn has said the lions have not won in GB since 1991......i think that speaks loads in itself on how well they play out doors in on foreign turf. I think we can and will continue that trend. As for the first meeting this year: both teams seemed to have an off day. Lions offense only put up 10 points on us, and the safety their D scored was a direct result of very very poor play calling by MM. Why would you run up the guts when backed up on your own 1 yd line and they have stacked the box? Personally, with as good as we are at the quick slants, i would have tried that to get breathing room. Game would have been different if not for that sad play call and the safety as a result of it. So......if if if....they woulda had us at 10-7 ....both teams offense stunk that day. Different time now, new motivation, tides turning, new found gusto in the D.....

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Something tells me that isn't going to happen. ;)

I had the chance to see the 4th. quarter of the Detroit game...if that was indicative of the game as whole, Stafford was somewhere between flummoxed and dazed-and-confused.

Still and all, it was a 14-6 game against quality competition. It's a bit early to write off Detroit with that stingy defense which is no fluke.
They scored those two touchdowns early. after that they were shut down. AZ has a great D, so do the Lions, the question will be, is our O better than their D. Right now the way our line is playing I would say yes, but the proof is in the pudding.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have only watched the Lions play the Packers and then portions of a couple of their games (and highlights), so I haven’t seen as much of them as you have. Of course I hope your right and it’d be fantastic if the Packers had the division wrapped up before their final game. I understand you’re thoroughly unimpressed with the Lions but were you not impressed with their domination of the Packers on both sides of the ball on September 21st? You don’t think they were lucky in that game, do you? For example, they had a longer injury list than the Packers - they were missing an ILB and their secondary was depleted. Yet Rodgers had his second lowest passer rating of the season at 88.8, more than 17 points below his career average.

I'll agree the Lions' defense shut us down, actually outscored our offense. That was domination.

Their offense, however, only put up 10 points. Not close to domination to me.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey... for anyone that's interested. The odds on the Lions almost doubled this week for winning the NFC and SB. Better run to your bookie before Matthew Stafford and the offense starts lighting the world on fire.

This Week:

Super Bowl Odds
Packers
4/1
Lions 30/1

NFC Championship Odds
Packers
2/1 (1st)
Lions 15/1 (7th)

Last Week:

Super Bowl Odds
Packers
13/2
Lions 18/1

Last Week:

Super Bowl Odds
Packers
13/2
Lions 18/1

NFC Championship Odds
Packers
16/5 (1st Tied With Seattle)
Lions 9/1 (6th)

Last edited:
OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nomo will blow a gasket if the lions make the playoffs

I hope they do. As a wild card. It's looking like, if we win the division, that either the Eagles or Cowboys will win the east, Falcons or Saints will win the south, and that the Cardinals will win the west. So the potential wild card teams would be the Eagles/Cowboys, the Lions, 49ers and Seahawks. I have absolutely no interest in playing the 49ers or Seahawks in the playoffs, I'd much rather face the Lions.

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score
The Lions defense has done what they needed in order to give the offense a chance at winning games. The offense has just been hit or miss (mostly miss) all year. Everyone has been waiting for Lombardi to unleash this high-octane, high-scoring, melt your mother's face of an offense. It just hasn't happened.

Stafford's turnovers are down, and his footwork is better, but that's about it.

His yards and touchdowns are down, and his sacks are higher. Lombardi calls plays that take too long to develop. Last year, Stafford had one of the quickest releases in football. This year he has been holding it for 3+ seconds pretty regularly.

Part of the problem is Stafford. His decision making still isn't that great, and his accuracy is still lacking. Kellen Moore is better at both of those things. Frankly, I'd rather have a smart, accurate quarterback with a weak arm than one who can launch it 75 yards in the air, but is slow with his reads and flings it 4 feet over/behind/in front of his receivers.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lombardi calls plays that take too long to develop. Last year, Stafford had one of the quickest releases in football. This year he has been holding it for 3+ seconds pretty regularly.

Last year it took Stafford an average of 2.41 seconds to attempt a pass, this year it´s 2.45 seconds. Hardly a difference there.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though the numbers in the standings for us and the Lions are the same, technically the Lions are in first place because they beat us. Right?
So aren't they like just half a game ahead?

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions defense has done what they needed in order to give the offense a chance at winning games. The offense has just been hit or miss (mostly miss) all year. Everyone has been waiting for Lombardi to unleash this high-octane, high-scoring, melt your mother's face of an offense. It just hasn't happened.

Stafford's turnovers are down, and his footwork is better, but that's about it.

His yards and touchdowns are down, and his sacks are higher. Lombardi calls plays that take too long to develop. Last year, Stafford had one of the quickest releases in football. This year he has been holding it for 3+ seconds pretty regularly.

Part of the problem is Stafford. His decision making still isn't that great, and his accuracy is still lacking. Kellen Moore is better at both of those things. Frankly, I'd rather have a smart, accurate quarterback with a weak arm than one who can launch it 75 yards in the air, but is slow with his reads and flings it 4 feet over/behind/in front of his receivers.

Thank you. That is exactly what I see when I watch him and it's nice to hear somebody that watches him week in and week out back that up. I don't see change in him to the extent he's any more of a threat than he's been in the past. He's simply not very accurate. He'll make some fantastic throws but miss on waaaaay too many.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are tied with us but have the tie-breaker due to the head-to-head victory.

Seven pages of this Lions thread and not one Lions fan? This is like only men discussion womens' rights!

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though the numbers in the standings for us and the Lions are the same, technically the Lions are in first place because they beat us. Right?
So aren't they like just half a game ahead?

Nope. We are zero games back but don't have the tiebreaker.

Half game would be 8-3 vs. 7-3 or 4-1 vs. 3-1.

Half games only apply when teams haven't played the same number of games or a tie is involved.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They are tied with us but have the tie-breaker due to the head-to-head victory.

Seven pages of this Lions thread and not one Lions fan? This is like only men discussion womens' rights!

Nope. We are zero games back but don't have the tiebreaker.

Half game would be 8-3 vs. 7-3 or 4-1 vs. 3-1.

Half games only apply when teams haven't played the same number of games or a tie is involved.
I'm going to agree with EG on this one.
According to this, if the playoffs happened in 5 minutes from now, we would be playing in a WC while the Lions would be the 2nd seed (Divis. winners?) and get a bye.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture

Also the Lions are the first team listed in the standings which also shows me that they are sorta ahead of us.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to this, if the playoffs happened in 5 minutes from now, we would be playing in a WC while the Lions would be the 2nd seed (Divis. winners?) and get a bye.

Also the Lions are the first team listed in the standings which also shows me that they are sorta ahead of us.

? Why even worry about this FF? We know we're tied and we play them the last week and there's games to be played before that. Fact is, if we beat the Vikes we'll be in great shape with the divisional tie breaker as the Lions will still have 3 other divisional games to win just to hold serve on that tie breaker. No need at all to get too worked up on this yet.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, they are ahead, but not due to a half game. It's due to the tiebreaker. That's what I was pointing out.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd worry about one game at a time honestly! We got the Vikings this weekend, and they aren't pushovers by any means. Believe me it's like their superbowl anytime we play them. One step at a time people. We can do this.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes it's just due to the alphabet. When looking at the playoffs, the tie-breakers become involved. When producing and listing the standings, they usually just look at the record and then alphabetical for ties.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sometimes it's just due to the alphabet. When looking at the playoffs, the tie-breakers become involved. When producing and listing the standings, they usually just look at the record and then alphabetical for ties.

I think they do tiebreakers for every standings.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
? Why even worry about this FF? We know we're tied and we play them the last week and there's games to be played before that. Fact is, if we beat the Vikes we'll be in great shape with the divisional tie breaker as the Lions will still have 3 other divisional games to win just to hold serve on that tie breaker. No need at all to get too worked up on this yet.
We shall see what happens.
This is another exciting time and season for us Packers fans!
Gawd I hope they don't blow it again in the playoffs since they are so hot right now.

BearDroppings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest with you, I rather see the Packers lock up a lower seed in the playoffs than higher. I'll give you my reasoning for this as well. The lower the better, it means we are underdogs, and EVERYONE will sleep on us. The higher for us the worse it gets.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest with you, I rather see the Packers lock up a lower seed in the playoffs than higher. I'll give you my reasoning for this as well. The lower the better, it means we are underdogs, and EVERYONE will sleep on us. The higher for us the worse it gets.

We were favored as the 6th once we got to Chicago and in the Super Bowl in 2010. Lower seed does does not automatically mean underdog. Also, if we play a higher seeded Atlanta 1st round who has a losing record, I guarantee we will be favored.

Finally, nobody will sleep on us after that beat down of the Eagles.

Last edited: