It's time to acknowledge that the Lions are for real

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, they are ahead, but not due to a half game. It's due to the tiebreaker. That's what I was pointing out.

All that really doesnt matter YET

Last 3 weeks or so is when I will start to take notice

Snoop17744

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah they are legit. Their pass defense is just as good as ours. I would say our offense is much better though. They have a much better run D.

As a Pats fan, I was not impressed with Detroit at all.

With a quiet game from Gronk, the Pats were able to hang 34pts on the Lion's D. Suh & their defensive front barely got a finger on Brady all day. Remember, this is a Patriot's O-line which was VERY scrutinized most of the season.

Offensively, Stafford looked completely lost & confused.....39% completion pctg....worst of his career.

IMO, Lion's are the classic "pretenders".

H

HardRightEdge

With a quiet game from Gronk, the Pats were able to hang 34pts on the Lion's D. Suh & their defensive front barely got a finger on Brady all day. Remember, this is a Patriot's O-line which was VERY scrutinized most of the season.

Offensively, Stafford looked completely lost & confused.....39% completion pctg....worst of his career.

Yeah, I saw that game too and Stafford looked very bad. While he wasn't helped by the half dozen or so drops, and that his better TEs and receiving back were out, his miserable inaccuracy was inexcusable and quite puzzling.

What mystified me in Stafford's performance and/or the game play was the obstinance in trying to go down field along with a lot of throws at Revis. You would have thunk that Detroit would have tried to get something going underneath to develop some rhythm and flow. Stafford looked a lot better before Johnson came back, spreading it around with more modest ambitions.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Lions offense hasn't scored more than 24 pts. since week 1 and are averaging only 17.9. Their run game has disappeared since early in the season, and Stafford can't carry this team. Calvin looked big & slow last week, and when doubled nobody else stepped-up to help. The D-line carried the team early, but hasn't looked very good as of late. They're swirling the bowl right now, and maybe, just maybe a newly-confident Bears team can take them down Thursday?? Can Jay keep his head out of his *** for another week?

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

It is about time for the Kitties classic late-season Melt-down. :poop:

H

HardRightEdge

And how many points did their offense score?
Well, as we saw in the Vikings game, effective defensive game plans using 2-high safeties have had a history of stifling the Packers bread-and-butter down-the-field passing game. SF and SEA drew up the template. Why Philly played a lot of single-high is a mystery...stubbornness perhaps; perhaps an all-or-nothing bet on the pass rush.

When you're forced into a ball control, low scoring game, anything can happen. NE showed you can **** and dunk down the field on Detroit, neutralizing the pass rush. That's not Green Bay's bread and butter, though better than in past seasons by working Lacy into the passing game.

I suspect the recent "what have you done for me lately" reports that would have us relegate Stafford to the ranks of Sanchez, Skelton, Orton, et. al. are premature.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classic case of a team that peaked too early.

I don't really believe in "peaking too early". Seattle started 11-1 last year then lost a couple games at the end of the season and they were fine obviously in the playoffs. Seems silly to me for anyone to worry about a team like the Packers or Patriots peaking too early when they're blowing teams out in the middle of the season. What are they supposed to do, try not to win or try to let them stay close?

Regardless I don't think Detroit was ever "peaking". They were winning close games that they probably shouldn't have won. Now as expected they've lost 2 on the road to far superior opponents.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's happened thus far is only part of the story. We'll see what kind of team Caldwell can mold when they close out the season. Are they they going to take their annual late-season tumble or re-group and finish strong? Now is the time to prove people wrong.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If ever the Bears are going to show a little "heart" this would be the game ~ *****-slap a division foe. Somebody on the Bear's coaching staff has got to have a clue how to get that offense to play up to 1/2 of their capabilities, don't they?

H

HardRightEdge

I don't really believe in "peaking too early". Seattle started 11-1 last year then lost a couple games at the end of the season and they were fine obviously in the playoffs. Seems silly to me for anyone to worry about a team like the Packers or Patriots peaking too early when they're blowing teams out in the middle of the season. What are they supposed to do, try not to win or try to let them stay close?

Regardless I don't think Detroit was ever "peaking". They were winning close games that they probably shouldn't have won. Now as expected they've lost 2 on the road to far superior opponents.
And in 2012, Baltimore started 9-2, lost 4 of their last 5, then ran the table out of the Wild Card game slot.

Maybe the old card players' adage, "little possums walk early, big possums walk late" needs some modification.

Big possums walk early, then take a nap, then walk late? ;)

That's not to say Detroit is a big possum, but they're certainly capable of keeping games close.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My view of the Lions?

They have Injuries to their O line that is killing their Offense. when they get back a couple guys and can somehow shore up the O line over the next couple of weeks they will be a better Offensive team. The Defense is good and can beat most teams if they are not on the field all day long. So we shall see what they do with the Oline and if the coaches can adjust the Offensive scheme enough to make a difference. They should finish 10-6 or 11-5.

If GB somehow loses at Home on the Last game the Lions could very well win the Division.

Yes it could be that close for this Division.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Their D shut down the Packers so I think its safe to say they have potential but yeah, the Pats showed they were not the mentally strong team some predicted they might be

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
In the interest of fairness and all that, the Lions have a couple starters out on their O Line and they don't seem to have adjusted particularly well to that.

Reiff and Warford their starting LT and RG respectively.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Lions are real true. But the Packers will have their revenge game come Lambeau Field time!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're reverting to their thuggish, boneheaded ways, which bodes well for a good opponent.

Last 2 minutes of the 1st half Suh gets a personal foul on what would have been a sack (hitting QB in the face). 17 seconds left on a 2nd and long Jason Jones face masks on a tackle keeping Tampa's drive alive.

Tampa made them pay for their mistakes keeping the game close at the half. A good team will capitalize on ALL of their mistakes. They should make it into the playoffs, but their lack of discipline will get them bounced in the first round.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're reverting to their thuggish, boneheaded ways, which bodes well for a good opponent.

Last 2 minutes of the 1st half Suh gets a personal foul on what would have been a sack (hitting QB in the face). 17 seconds left on a 2nd and long Jason Jones face masks on a tackle keeping Tampa's drive alive.

Tampa made them pay for their mistakes keeping the game close at the half. A good team will capitalize on ALL of their mistakes. They should make it into the playoffs, but their lack of discipline will get them bounced in the first round.

Yep...the same old same old stupid undisciplined Lions penalties allowed the pathetic Bucs to stay in that game longer than they should have. Then after the facemask call the moron was so out of control screaming at the ref that he really should have gotten another 15 yards!

The Stafford led offense has looked good in one game the past month and that against IMO the worst team in the NFL right now... the Bears. The Bears are truly God awful.

Not sure how anyone watching the game yesterday or any from the past 5 weeks and comes away worried about facing the Lions offense. Stafford was amazingly lucky to not have 3 more ints in that game. Did you see the deflected pass TD to Bell?! :roflmao:

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep...the same old same old stupid undisciplined Lions penalties allowed the pathetic Bucs to stay in that game longer than they should have. Then after the facemask call the moron was so out of control screaming at the ref that he really should have gotten another 15 yards!

The Stafford led offense has looked good in one game the past month and that against IMO the worst team in the NFL right now... the Bears. The Bears are truly God awful.

Not sure how anyone watching the game yesterday or any from the past 5 weeks and comes away worried about facing the Lions offense. Stafford was amazingly lucky to not have 3 more ints in that game. Did you see the deflected pass TD to Bell?! :roflmao:

um TB rushed for 26 yards...CHI 15 yards...making teams one dimensional is how you win.

What I see is a team that has just gotten back their whole Offense since early this season and could be very Dangerous given their Defense.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
um TB rushed for 26 yards...CHI 15 yards...making teams one dimensional is how you win.
With both of those teams their weakness IS McCown & Cutler, so why not put all of your efforts into stacking the box and making them try to beat you? Think Detroit would dare stack the box against AR, Romo, Manning, Brady, or Brees?

They need to load the box against Seattle, but that's as much to contain Wilson as stopping Lynch, first. They're one and done and will be exposed in week 17. #leastfearedteam.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With both of those teams their weakness IS McCown & Cutler, so why not put all of your efforts into stacking the box and making them try to beat you? Think Detroit would dare stack the box against AR, Romo, Manning, Brady, or Brees? They're one and done and will be exposed in week 17.

I think its going to be a tough game all around and the Packers had better come prepared for a fight.
I watched the 19-7 game it wasn't pretty......I don't see a lot of difference right now with both teams healthier.
This game will be a dogfight period no easy win for either team.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What I see is a team that has just gotten back their whole Offense since early this season and could be very Dangerous given their Defense.

Did you watch Detroit play their past 5 games ...as in watch the entire game? What I SAW was a very good defense that feasted on HORRIBLE offenses and the same old same old Lions offense. What I saw was a good Pats team that the Packers beat just crush the Lions.

The Bears are 26th in the NFL in rushing and the Bucs 31st. They are also two of the worst defenses in the NFL with the Bears giving up the most points per game and the Bucs the 7th most.

Take a look at the Cardinals and Pats games.

"UM"... do ya think maybe just maybe the competition has "just a tad" to do with the respective results? Again, if this was the Packers we were talking about would you be saying "Well, take a look at the past 5 games and who we played and the results!" Ya... you would.

Jdeed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch Detroit play their past 5 games ...as in watch the entire game? What I SAW was a very good defense that feasted on HORRIBLE offenses and the same old same old Lions offense. What I saw was a good Pats team that the Packers beat just crush the Lions.

The Bears are 26th in the NFL in rushing and the Bucs 31st. They are also two of the worst defenses in the NFL with the Bears giving up the most points per game and the Bucs the 7th most.

Take a look at the Cardinals and Pats games.

"UM"... do ya think maybe just maybe the competition has "just a tad" to do with the respective results? Again, if this was the Packers we were talking about would you be saying "Well, take a look at the past 5 games and who we played and the results!" Ya... you would.

Do not ignore the fact they have had a ton of injuries on Offense and have just gotten back most of their players......these easy teams will be like training for their offense to get better now that they have finally all healed up. Anyhow if you cannot see the Danger of the Lions Defense and their Offense finally getting healthy more power to ya.....lol.

Members online

No members online now.