It's time to acknowledge that the Lions are for real

Reaction score
I think that the Packers will win the north division but it may come down to the last game of the season vs Detroit.

Their coach, Caldwell, appears to have brought discipline to the Lions, which many pundits claimed was the reason for them losing close games and/or not being focused for important games. If Detroit stays focused (and I think this is likely) they will be a formidable foe down the stretch and in the playoffs.

I agree, the remaining schedule favors us, but Detroit doesn't look like that team that's going to self destruct like they have in years past. My fear is the Pack finishing 11-5 or even 12-4 and having to go play a primetime game Wild Card weekend on the raod in New Orleans

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I have a hunch that Detroit gets beat by Arizona this weekend.

Arizona have 4 wins against teams with winning records. (San Diego, San Fran, Philly and Dallas)

Detroit has only 2.(Green Bay and Miami)

I like this match up. Arizona is hosting the game.

I say the mustard comes off the hotdog.

Call me crazy.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whelp theyve been building a talented team for a while, it's the advantage of always picking in the first half of the first round. That being said I like our chances against them in Green Bay and I like our chances of finishing ahead of them this year. Matt Stafford aint Aaron Rodgers.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Whelp theyve been building a talented team for a while, it's the advantage of always picking in the first half of the first round. That being said I like our chances against them in Green Bay and I like our chances of finishing ahead of them this year. Matt Stafford aint Aaron Rodgers.
That's the understatement of the decade. lol

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that Arizona is going from Palmer to Drew Stanton. There is usually a good reason that someone is the backup. He's played well but coming in to beat the Rams' defense is different than facing the Detroit pass rush.

To my ol' buddy Oshkosh. I hear you and understand your point. I just disagree that the close victories mean that Detroit is on the verge of collapse. Analyze winning percentages and what not, the most important fact is that they are winning games right now. The Patriots almost teetered in several games for a stretch during their (almost) perfect season in 2007. Narrowly winning games isn't a predictor of the future. These Lions have collapsed and failed in the past with good talent but a terrible team attitude. IMO - Caldwell has changed it. How much he's changed it we are about to find out.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I hear ya El Guapo, i also see your point too. Have the lions yet managed to put on and type of dominating offensive performance? No, not even against chump teams, they still struggled. Coming into chilly season, their offense will need to step up that 31st ranked run game, something I doubt they can do. I also believe their defense ranks are skewed by the amount of underperforming lack luster offenses they have faced. Time will tell. AZ defense IS better than theirs no matter what some chart says, AZ has played some ballers this year and won. Brady will break it off in thier butts in foxboro. That may just be enough to start their slide.......thats just being hopeful I guess lol

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm bored, so I looked up the combined win pct of teams that GB and Detroit have played, and then broke that down between their wins and losses.

Green Bay (counting Chi once)
Total win pct of all teams on the schedule: .466
Combined win pct of teams they beat: .370
Combined win pct of teams they lost to: .630

Detroit
Total win pct of all teams on the schedule: .427
Combined win pct of teams they beat: .422
Combined win pct of teams they lost to: .444

So based on combined opponent win pct....
Green Bay's schedule has been tougher
Green Bay's losses have come against winning teams, Detroit's against losing teams.
Detroit's wins have come against teams with a higher win pct than the teams Green Bay has beaten, but both teams wins have come against losing teams.

What does all of this mean?

Pretty much nothing. Just something to look at and try to fill the void between Sundays.

:laugh::tup: Well said. This entire issue is driven by us insane sports fans that can't tolerate the waiting around to see how it actually all plays out! Hey...MST...you're not the same guy I saw at the Bears forum last week are you?:D

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
:laugh::tup: Well said. This entire issue is driven by us insane sports fans that can't tolerate the waiting around to see how it actually all plays out! Hey...MST...you're not the same guy I saw at the Bears forum last week are you?:D

Nobody is insane and I can't believe I have to point out that Green Bay has all but ONE of its wins against mediocre teams.

Jeez, the numbers are right there in front of you.

Combining Packer and Lion opponents is not useful. Please tell me what that accomplishes?

It's an apple and an orange.

Hard to define the difference between the Pack and Lions when you combine their stats.

Your numbers lose all of their meaning.

Man...

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is insane and I can't believe I have to point out that Green Bay has all but ONE of its wins against mediocre teams.

Jeez, the numbers are right there in front of you.

Combining Packer and Lion opponents is not useful. Please tell me what that accomplishes?

It's an apple and an orange.

Hard to define the difference between the Pack and Lions when you combine their stats.

Your numbers lose all of their meaning.

Man...

I was talking about all of us, myself included. ...how about this and we let this all go? the lions are fcking amazing this year and I think we should all go to vegas and put our life savings on them to win the super bowl! there...now we're good.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading this thread has been rather amusing. LIONS SUCK! NO THEY DON'T! YES THEY DO! NO THEY DON'T! YES THEY REALLY DO! NO THEY REALLY DON'T!

The bottom line that is being lost in all of this is the fact that we as fans have the luxury of taking other teams lightly but the reality is the no NFL team should ever take any other NFL team lightly as it is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. No NFL team should ever be counting on what another team does or does not do as it is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. Here are some simple facts.

Fact #1: The Lions are 7-2 and 1st in the division

Fact #2: The Packers are 6-3 and 2nd in the division.

Fact #3: As of this exact moment and cold hard math, the Lions are a better team than the Packers if you deny this refer to fact number one and number two.

Fact #4: So far this year the Lions are winning games they should not and last year they were losing games they should not what does this mean Nothing it is just a fact

Fact #5: If the Packers go 7-0 the rest of the season, they are division champions and heading to the playoffs.

Fact #6: If any of you including myself had any clue what you were saying you would not be doing it on a forum board

Fact #7: Me listing of facts in righteous indignation is pretty frakking annoying.

Fact #8: Aaron Rodgers is our QB

Fact #9: Matthew Stafford is the Lions QB

Fact #10: 32 GM's in the NFL would take Aaron Rodgers over Matthew Stafford every day of the week and twice on Sunday Monday and Thursday and occasionally even Saturday unless they were very very bad GMs

Fact #11: Deciding at this exact moment whether the Lions are or are not for real is pure speculation.

Fact #12: I only used punctuation on prime numbered facts

Fact #13: I am officially done with these facts.

Fact #14: I lied

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reading this thread has been rather amusing. LIONS SUCK! NO THEY DON'T! YES THEY DO! NO THEY DON'T! YES THEY REALLY DO! NO THEY REALLY DON'T!

The bottom line that is being lost in all of this is the fact that we as fans have the luxury of taking other teams lightly but the reality is the no NFL team should ever take any other NFL team lightly as it is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. No NFL team should ever be counting on what another team does or does not do as it is a guaranteed recipe for disaster. Here are some simple facts.

Fact #1: The Lions are 7-2 and 1st in the division

Fact #2: The Packers are 6-3 and 2nd in the division.

Fact #3: As of this exact moment and cold hard math, the Lions are a better team than the Packers if you deny this refer to fact number one and number two.

Fact #4: So far this year the Lions are winning games they should not and last year they were losing games they should not what does this mean Nothing it is just a fact

Fact #5: If the Packers go 7-0 the rest of the season, they are division champions and heading to the playoffs.

Fact #6: If any of you including myself had any clue what you were saying you would not be doing it on a forum board

Fact #7: Me listing of facts in righteous indignation is pretty frakking annoying.

Fact #8: Aaron Rodgers is our QB

Fact #9: Matthew Stafford is the Lions QB

Fact #10: 32 GM's in the NFL would take Aaron Rodgers over Matthew Stafford every day of the week and twice on Sunday Monday and Thursday and occasionally even Saturday unless they were very very bad GMs

Fact #11: Deciding at this exact moment whether the Lions are or are not for real is pure speculation.

Fact #12: I only used punctuation on prime numbered facts

Fact #13: I am officially done with these facts.

Fact #14: I lied

Well not really on Fact 3, the Lions were a better team when we played them. But that was back when Aaron was in Captain Ahab mode, trying to force balls downfield and sitting in the pocket forever. He was also visibly off his game from an accuracy standpoint for 2 and a half of the first 3 games. Does anything think that if the Aaron Rodgers we've seen over the last four games went into Detroit that we wouldn't have scored 30+?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's just silly. "Vegas" takes all emotion and say nothing hyperbole out of the equation. That's exactly how they make their money. While there will always be upsets and longshots that hit in the NFL, it's foolish to dismiss the odds.

Vegas never bet on Cutler because they understood there was more than enough supporting data and good reason not to. Vegas is not betting on the Lions (and Stafford) because they understand there's more than enough supporting data and good reason not to.

So how sure are you? If you were forced to pick the Pack or the Lions to win the division, which would you pick?

That's the second time you've completely ignored my very valid point about their defense (ok, you didn't ignore it in your first reply, you just provided a blatantly false reason to disregard it).

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it started off with RABBIT SEASON! DUCK SEASON!! Then we moved on to TASTES GREAT! LESS FILLING!! Finally we were bored and moved onto this thread

MichiganSportsTalk

Lions fan for longer than I can remember
Reaction score

Probably. I might not post too much, but I regularly visit the forums of the Lions upcoming opponent, the Packers and the Bears. I try to go to the Vikings forum, but there is too much damn purple. That site looks like a bad Prince video from the 80s.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We usually have one honest-to-goodness Vikings fan in here, and I'm knowledgeable since my wife is of the purple persuasion and we live there. However, I would agree that most of my interactions with Vikings fans are to the extreme - either they drink purple koolaid all day long and aren't rational until the final beatdown of the season, or they are apathetic through and through.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Probably. I might not post too much, but I regularly visit the forums of the Lions upcoming opponent, the Packers and the Bears. I try to go to the Vikings forum, but there is too much damn purple. That site looks like a bad Prince video from the 80s.
True, but if you join the site you can change the background color to something that is not as annoying. The purple and dark makes it hard to read in my book. I assume you are talking about Vikings Message Board. Even I can't take the color scheme.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Around two years ago I said the Lions are going to be a team we need to keep our eye on. They are, no doubt a very competitive team this year. We know Stafford is no Rodgers but aside from maybe 3 other QBs in the league, there aren't a lot of other teams that can say that either. This is a Lions team that has been building around what they already have in addition to draft good picks. Are the Lions a threat to the Packers? As much as I hate to say it, yes they could very well be. It will be the Lions who will most likely be competing with us for the division unless the Bears can pull something off.

So, yes. It's time to acknowledge we hear the Lions roar. How loud of a roar will it be only time will tell. They have a habit of shooting themselves in the foot year after year, but this year I don't see them doing that. This is a very different Lions team than we are used to.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don't lose at least one of the next two games it's going to really tough to win the division, given their schedule isn't difficult after the Patriots game.
The Packers are going to be favored in every game the remainder of their season, so I don't see why you think it will be so difficult to win the division for the Packers, regardless of what the Lions do. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers win out. Their toughest remaining games are at home.

OP
OP
red4tribe

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are going to be favored in every game the remainder of their season, so I don't see why you think it will be so difficult to win the division for the Packers, regardless of what the Lions do. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Packers win out. Their toughest remaining games are at home.

I hope but highly doubt the Packers will win out. I suspect we finish 11-5 or 12-4 at best. The Lions play against the Cardinals, the Patriots, the Bears twice, the Bucs, the Vikings before finishing up against us in Lambeau. The only games there I can see the Lions losing are the first two, so if they even win one of them, you're looking at possibly a 12-3 Lions team against a 10-5 Packers team the last game of the year.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score

The Pack have 3 road and 4 home games left.

Home: Eagles, Patriots, Falcons and Lions
Away: Vikings, Bills and Buccaneers.

The Lions have 4 road and 3 home games left.

Home: Bears, Buccaneers, Vikings.
Away: Bears, Patriots, Vikings, Cardinals and Packers.

I've put in bold the games for either team I think will pose the biggest challenge for that team.

In my opinion I like our chances as they have ALL of their "theoretically" hard games on the road and we have all but one of ours at home.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers are capable of winning their next seven games but are facing four tough opponents with Philadelphia, New England, Buffalo and Detroit.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Pack have 3 road and 4 home games left.

Home: Eagles, Patriots, Falcons and Lions
Away: Vikings, Bills and Buccaneers.

The Lions have 4 road and 3 home games left.

Home: Bears, Buccaneers, Vikings.
Away: Bears, Patriots, Vikings, Cardinals and Packers.

I've put in bold the games for either team I think will pose the biggest challenge for the team.

In my opinion I like our chances as they have ALL of their "theoretically" hard games on the road and we have all but one of ours at home.

I think the North will come down to the week 17 game at Lambeau as I don't think the Lions will lose more than two of their next six games.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope but highly doubt the Packers will win out. I suspect we finish 11-5 or 12-4 at best. The Lions play against the Cardinals, the Patriots, the Bears twice, the Bucs, the Vikings before finishing up against us in Lambeau. The only games there I can see the Lions losing are the first two, so if they even win one of them, you're looking at possibly a 12-3 Lions team against a 10-5 Packers team the last game of the year.
I would be shocked if the Packers were 10-5 heading into week 17. One slip-up between now and then? Possibly. But not two. And I fully expect them to take care of business at home week 17. The Lions have the much tougher schedule in my opinion.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only game I absolutely cannot see the Lions losing is home vs. Tampa Bay. It's not likely that they lose to the Vikings, but I don't think the game is a foregone conclusion -- especially if AP is back.

They could lose either game to the Bears. I know how the Bears have looked. They're not going to be this horrific all season. They're still a team that went into San Francisco and won in September, and they're not so awful that they couldn't steal one of 2 vs. the Lions.

The Lions easily be 4-5 after their last 3. I realize we have had games we could have lost too, like at Miami, that's not my point -- my point is that the Lions haven't played far and above their competition.

This is the NFL. So much could change over the next month and I don't think you can ever say for any team that it's as easy as "two tough games coming up and then they've got 4 free wins."