If there had been no "Immaculate Reception..."

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly made it so the Steelers could have a dynasty. Not as impressive as the Packer's Dynasty but still.
Steelers had four SB wins in a matter of a few years with one QB unlike decades that took us to get them with three QBs.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say Pitt fans would have a pretty good argument for disputing that. Four SB wins in six years vs five overall titles in seven years. Most things in sports are subjective.
If that was us can you list/post the years and what those were?
I am only aware of us winning the first two SBs and perhaps a couple of other champ. games under Lom.

Other than that I agree.
SB wins are going to matter more in the modern era to those that are non Packers fans.
Frankly I feel like our bragging rights are eroding away with all these PO losses.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say Pitt fans would have a pretty good argument for disputing that. Four SB wins in six years vs five overall titles in seven years. Most things in sports are subjective.
You forget to mention that The Pack won three in row. Who else did that? And no doubt in my mind they would have won the super bowl that other year.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forget to mention that The Pack won three in row. Who else did that? And no doubt in my mind they would have won the super bowl that other year.
Hence, my including "pretty good argument" and "subjective" in my comment.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If that was us can you list/post the years and what those were?
I am only aware of us winning the first two SBs and perhaps a couple of other champ. games under Lom.

Other than that I agree.
SB wins are going to matter more in the modern era to those that are non Packers fans.
Frankly I feel like our bragging rights are eroding away with all these PO losses.
'61, '62, '65 NFL championships, '66. '67 SB.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Immaculate Reception turned the Steelers from an also-ran into a legitimate playoff team that went on to win those Super Bowls. The play not only changed a playoff game it changed a franchise.

One could argue that the Immaculate Reception II was almost as important! :roflmao:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me I would go with Janis’ Hail Mary reception against the Cardinals. That type of play is the thing movies are made of.

We were basically down all our receivers with Nelson tearing his ACL, Adams with an ankle sprain, Cobb was mic’d up and lands on the mic causing chest injury, and in comes Abbrederis and Janis.

Janis essentially ran to route after go route in the past possession and comes up with 2 massive catches against Patrick Peterson in his prime none the less. It should have gone down in every Packers highlight montage for the rest of all time.

Instead it’s forgotten because that dumb **** Damarious Randall thought we were playing zone when we were in man and turns Fitzgerald completely lose.
Thanks KID. That play gets forgotten because the Packers ultimately lost. To me, that's a far more "miraculous" reception than the one from Rodgers to Rodgers in Detroit. It's just that the Detroit pass won the game.

Say what you will about Janis, he had his moment in Packers' history.

Canadian Cheddar

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some football fans and sports writers consider the IR to be THE greatest football play ever.
I can get that since it was a surprise accidental "heads up" play that won a play off game for the Steelers.

If there was no IR than perhaps this one would be considered the greatest football play of all time even though it was not a playoff winner.
I suppose for some Packers fans it would be and I wouldn't blame them at all for thinking that.

Another one for consideration should be the Motor City Miracle.

I was in Detroit with a goal line seat on the side of the field that Richard Rogers caught the Motown Miracle from Aaron Rogers. I never saw the catch, as there were too many Detroit defenders blocking my view. I only knew that it was caught by a Packer when I saw the whole Packers team storming the field in wild celebration. The Lions fans at Ford Field were literally quite shocked at the events. I use the Motown Miracle hurl as my Packer Forum Avatar.

Nearly 4 years later I caught a game in Pittsburgh and was surprised to see the immaculate reception catch memorialized at the Pittsburgh airport. That is such an excellent representation of that city's love for its home team. The importance and bizarreness of the Immaculate Reception make it the all time classic.

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_142815~3.jpg
    IMG_20191105_142815~3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 108
OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Immaculate Reception turned the Steelers from an also-ran into a legitimate playoff team that went on to win those Super Bowls. The play not only changed a playoff game it changed a franchise.

One could argue that the Immaculate Reception II was almost as important! :roflmao:
One thing they failed to notice in all that excitement was how our defender Amos was in on both defensive plays. First the hit that popped the ball out and then trying to bring down the big guy running with it.
He was like, "Wait. You down. Where the ball at? Oh, there? I better get in on this!"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though it was the Vikings, that was a pretty cool play by the center? Great catch and run.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
One thing they failed to notice in all that excitement was how our defender Amos was in on both defensive plays. First the hit that popped the ball out and then trying to bring down the big guy running with it.
He was like, "Wait. You down. Where the ball at? Oh, there? I better get in on this!"
Imagine had he stripped the ball from Bradbury, recovered the fumble and ran it back for a TD. NOW THAT.....would be the definition of "doing it all".

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts