If there had been no "Immaculate Reception..."

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some football fans and sports writers consider the IR to be THE greatest football play ever.
I can get that since it was a surprise accidental "heads up" play that won a play off game for the Steelers.

If there was no IR than perhaps this one would be considered the greatest football play of all time even though it was not a playoff winner.
I suppose for some Packers fans it would be and I wouldn't blame them at all for thinking that.

Another one for consideration should be the Motor City Miracle.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
That Freeman catch was so unbelievable at first. I thought it was getting called back until seeing the replay. It’s another example of why to NEVER give up on a loose ball of any kind.

You’ll see D players sometimes overreact on a lateral type incompletion and run it all the way back just in case. That’s smart coaching.

I remember another one where CM3 caused a sack fumble and then recovered it 20 yards downfield when everyone thought it was a dead ball. Great heads up hustle

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Freeman catch was so unbelievable at first. I thought it was getting called back until seeing the replay. It’s another example of why to NEVER give up on a loose ball of any kind.

You’ll see D players sometimes overreact on a lateral type incompletion and run it all the way back just in case. That’s smart coaching.

I remember another one where CM3 caused a sack fumble and then recovered it 20 yards downfield when everyone thought it was a dead ball. Great heads up hustle
Even though this is not the Packers what I highlighted in bold reminds me of this great "Run it all the way back just in case" play.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me I would go with Janis’ Hail Mary reception against the Cardinals. That type of play is the thing movies are made of.

We were basically down all our receivers with Nelson tearing his ACL, Adams with an ankle sprain, Cobb was mic’d up and lands on the mic causing chest injury, and in comes Abbrederis and Janis.

Janis essentially ran to route after go route in the past possession and comes up with 2 massive catches against Patrick Peterson in his prime none the less. It should have gone down in every Packers highlight montage for the rest of all time.

Instead it’s forgotten because that dumb **** Damarious Randall thought we were playing zone when we were in man and turns Fitzgerald completely lose.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Even though this is not the Packers what I highlighted in bold reminds me of this great "Run it all the way back just in case" play.

WOW....never saw that one. Too funny, but a very smart heads up play by Bailey.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the greatest play, ever... but a great Packer moment (in a decade without too many).
OH YES!!

Thank you so much for remembering and sharing that.

I remember watching it live on what was our first color TV in the house which was a portable and the screen was not much bigger than a smart phone.
Me and a friend turned it on and there were the Packers.
We were both impressed and happy to have seen that happen.

I like where the announcer says that Chet scored all the points for the Pack in that game.
And what a lucky bounce that ball took and what great reflexes to lead to a great moment.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
During the offseason, when I am hungering for some Packer Football, I search for highlight reels of seasons, players, fantastic finishes, etc. Would anyone be interest in a thread that is devoted to "Favorite Packer highlight reels"?

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me I would go with Janis’ Hail Mary reception against the Cardinals. That type of play is the thing movies are made of.

We were basically down all our receivers with Nelson tearing his ACL, Adams with an ankle sprain, Cobb was mic’d up and lands on the mic causing chest injury, and in comes Abbrederis and Janis.

Janis essentially ran to route after go route in the past possession and comes up with 2 massive catches against Patrick Peterson in his prime none the less. It should have gone down in every Packers highlight montage for the rest of all time.

Instead it’s forgotten because that dumb **** Damarious Randall thought we were playing zone when we were in man and turns Fitzgerald completely lose.
Thanx.
I was trying to remember the other one.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think so.....maybe on kickoffs, but not on punts. I think there should have been a penalty (on both teams) for too many men on the field though.
I always thought so. You can see the returners OL on the field as he headed up the sideline. Offsetting, replay the down.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre throwing basically 60 yards across his body in Detroit to Sharpe sticks in my head. Just the utter arm strength to do it at that time was unreal. Edgar Bennett made a vertical catch way back when that to me is one of the all time craziest things Ive ever seen.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never considered the Immaculate Reception as the greatest play in NFL history. I would rank the Marshawn Lynch 67 yard run against the Saints in the 2010 postseason easily ahead of it.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-mi...shawn-lynch-bulldozes-saints-for-epic--125750
Especially since the ball hit the ground first. Or maybe it didn't hit the defender before Harris caught it. I don't know. All I know is it didn't do something, or it did, either way it shouldn't have counted.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Especially since the ball hit the ground first. Or maybe it didn't hit the defender before Harris caught it. I don't know. All I know is it didn't do something, or it did, either way it shouldn't have counted.
I do know that the pass came from the grassy Noll (Chuck).

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think so.....maybe on kickoffs, but not on punts. I think there should have been a penalty (on both teams) for too many men on the field though.
After further review I am right, you are wrong. When the ball hits the ground, the punt play is still active. However, if the ball hits the ground in the end zone, then it is an automatic touchback. If the ball bounces on the ground and rolls out of bounds, the refs need to place the ball roughly where it rolled out of bounds for the offensive team to take over. And also...when someone says, "I think so" or "I don't think so", means they don't know

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never considered the Immaculate Reception as the greatest play in NFL history. I would rank the Marshawn Lynch 67 yard run against the Saints in the 2010 postseason easily ahead of it.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/can-t-mi...shawn-lynch-bulldozes-saints-for-epic--125750

I think what makes the IR so impressive is the speed at which it happened and the play Harris made on the ball and just his heads up continuation of the ball in play. Also, it was labeled as the greatest play in NFL history a while ago and those labels don't go away. Kind of like Americas team or the Frozen Tundra or Titletown.

I could probably think of a dozen plays that were more impressive to me than the IR (Lynch's TD is probably one of them) but they are going to have to get their own label.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After further review I am right, you are wrong. When the ball hits the ground, the punt play is still active. However, if the ball hits the ground in the end zone, then it is an automatic touchback. If the ball bounces on the ground and rolls out of bounds, the refs need to place the ball roughly where it rolled out of bounds for the offensive team to take over. And also...when someone says, "I think so" or "I don't think so", means they don't know
I bet you are a real fun guy at a party.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly made it so the Steelers could have a dynasty. Not as impressive as the Packer's Dynasty but still.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It certainly made it so the Steelers could have a dynasty. Not as impressive as the Packer's Dynasty but still.
I'd say Pitt fans would have a pretty good argument for disputing that. Four SB wins in six years vs five overall titles in seven years. Most things in sports are subjective.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts