I am so pissed off at Ted Thompson...

D

Deleted member 6794

Most teams have a bit of luck in who they play and how healthy they are at the time. Health to significant cogs probably counts the most. Wouldn't the Packers have been better over the years with a 10 year starter Nick Collins, 8 year starter Jermichael Finley, 4 year starter Eddie Lacey, not counting the never-weres that really did not get a chance due to injuries? Happens to all teams. Some can overcome them when it happens, most can't.

Yeah, the Patriots have made it to 11 AFCCG, seven Super Bowls winning five since Belichick took over because they were lucky and not because of them having a better general manager and head coach. :rolleyes:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
At the other end of the spectrum there are posters not realizing Thompson is clearly an inferior general manager compared to Belichick.
Just like Shula and Landry were inferior to Lombardi. Some of the people here are angry that NE has Belichick and we don't. You can blame that on Wolf. He had a chance to hire Belichick.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
But part of that is the GM skill of evaluation of outside talent and knowing who will work well in your system and who won't. Belichick certainly isn't choosing his players at random, he is also highly skilled at evaluating who fits, who is undervalued, overvalued, in his prime or past his prime, who is for real and who just had a flukey good year.

I'm confident BB wouldn't have given a long-term deal to a guy like Brad Jones. He isn't 100% (see Chad Johnson), but he's about as close as one can be to it.
Belichick imo is much better at finding established NFL players to plug into his roster than he is at drafting college players. Where he really excels is in maneuvering picks and players to get more draft picks. I'm not convinced his actual "hit" rate is any better than average on drafted players.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm convinced that Rodell hacked into Ogsponge's account to make the initial post. While Ogsponge has been backing away while pointing out it was satire, there is someone carrying that torch....

Which is probably why most of us initially figured it was a serious post.

Every year about this time, we hear that the team is going backwards while the others move forward. It's a sorry and lame record to hear repeatedly, especially when it proves out to be false every year.
It use to bother me too. Now I just find it amusing and entertaining.

D

Deleted member 6794

Belichick imo is much better at finding established NFL players to plug into his roster than he is at drafting college players. Where he really excels is in maneuvering picks and players to get more draft picks. I'm not convinced his actual "hit" rate is any better than average on drafted players.

Thompson's hit rate on defensive players in the draft hasn't been any better than Belichick's. Unfortunately he doesn't address that side of the ball any other way.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think his true genius is how he uses players. Seems he gets players via draft or FA and gets designs his offense around unique traits. He is also ahead of the curve on trends. Not too long ago the trend was for bigger stronger WRs. He went small with (cant recall names) while the trend was for larger stronger CBs to counter the big WRs. The little wrs were more manueverable and made hay by exploiting their quickness and gaining seperation. Now the trend is swinging back to smaller WRs ie Antonio Brown, OBJ etc

Reaction score
hey it's daylight savings
It's the one time every year that Ted and Dom can say they're changing with the times

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
still crickets on d....embarrassing.
There's a lot of time to go yet. But it may mean that Thompson intends to address the defense in the draft. Unfortunately, that's what he's been doing for the last six years, and we can all see the results.
Today's events just confirms to me that TT is better at stocking the offense than the defense.

Reaction score
There's a lot of time to go yet. But it may mean that Thompson intends to address the defense in the draft. Unfortunately, that's what he's been doing for the last six years, and we can all see the results.
Today's events just confirms to me that TT is better at stocking the offense than the defense.
Maybe. It's also possible that he's letting the dust settle so he can maximize his cap. He's always been a bargain hunter and these 2 signings follow suit.
I do think occasionally Dom and others get in his ear after seeing the FA move he made with Peppers 3 years ago
I still think we need to fill 1 more hole on D with a veteran presence.
Ted may be waiting out the market because with each passing day the $ falls. There will still be some very solid veteran players available as time evolves. Some teams jump early and pay dearly for it. Patience is truly a virtue, but it is one of the hardest things to conquer.
Player Agents will sometimes make that mistake also. They'll sign prematurely due to pressure.
When you're dealing with multi million dollar contracts, The pressure is on both sides.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

But it may mean that Thompson intends to address the defense in the draft.

There are still some decent players available in free agency or possibly via trade to bring in. Thompson addressing the defense solely with draft picks doesn't cut it this time around.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are still some decent players available in free agency or possibly via trade to bring in. Thompson addressing the defense solely with draft picks doesn't cut it this time around.
This may sound a little screwy, but oh well:

Someone had the theory that Ted realizes that despite all his efforts, the defense continues to under perform. So he decided to focus on the offense to help keep the defense off the field, and hope to outscore teams, much like Atlanta did this year. If I could remember where I read that I would quote it.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting. I also think that despite the late season winning streak, it's possible there were still concerns about the offense. It had been in a slump for about a year there, until Rodgers started playing out of his head. And it did go silent for about half of the Dallas game, and didn't do much in Atlanta until garbage time. Maybe Ted trusts McCarthy to make the talent pay off more than he does Capers?

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should just sign Malcom butler what guy is gonna be good at 29 if they draft a corner I rather have a proven player than draft hopefull... I see him trading down anyways I think we should let lacy walk ripkowski is honestly just as good running the ball like him anyways draft a back they are gonna pass anyways cut guion save the 3 mil draft a fat man to plug in the middle can't teach strength

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign Zach brown at MLB cheap and we are good if they signed butler

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Someone had the theory that Ted realizes that despite all his efforts, the defense continues to under perform. So he decided to focus on the offense to help keep the defense off the field, and hope to outscore teams, much like Atlanta did this year. If I could remember where I read that I would quote it.

Anyway, I thought that was interesting. I also think that despite the late season winning streak, it's possible there were still concerns about the offense. It had been in a slump for about a year there, until Rodgers started playing out of his head. And it did go silent for about half of the Dallas game, and didn't do much in Atlanta until garbage time. Maybe Ted trusts McCarthy to make the talent pay off more than he does Capers?

I was posting about "doubling down on the offense" for weeks leading up to free agency and the idea just might work. There aren't any real elite defenses out there right now. Maybe making your strength even more elite is the way to go. On paper I don't see how anyone is going to stop this offense and they haven't even drafted yet.

The Seahawks had the NFL on lock down for a stint with an elite defense and then they kind of strayed from feeding it and started using more resources on there offense and now there not nearly as dominant of a team.

If your strength is building an elite offense then why not go all the way with it? After watching them fiddle **** around with the defense for the last 6 years it makes sense to me at this point.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm absolutely convinced that improving the defense by adding another talented outside linebacker and a #1 cornerback would significantly improve the overall roster way more than doubling down on offense.

I think they should just sign Malcom butler what guy is gonna be good at 29 if they draft a corner I rather have a proven player than draft hopefull...

With Butler still being under contract with the Patriots for another season the Packers would have to trade for to acquire him.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm absolutely convinced that improving the defense by adding another talented outside linebacker and a #1 cornerback would significantly improve the overall roster way more than doubling down on offense.

He is worth the first round pick at 29 imo what do u think? And let lacy and guion go?

With Butler still being under contract with the Patriots for another season the Packers would have to trade for to acquire him.

D

Deleted member 6794

He is worth the first round pick at 29 imo what do u think?And let Lacy and Guion go?

I believe Butler is worth giving up the 29th pick in this year's draft to trade for him. I wouldn't mind bringing Lacy back on a cheap contract not including any guarantees. Guion should be replaced by a defensive lineman available at the start of the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

While its a nice theory, I don't think TT has done a whole lot to improve the offense in the last few drafts, nor has he done much in FA this time around to make me think it is his master plan. Signing Bennett and Kendricks was an upgrade from Cook, but letting both Lang and Tretter walk, as well as no moves at RB lead me to believe TT isn't thinking he needs to build a team that can score 38+ points to stay alive in the playoffs against other elite offenses.

As Captain and others have pointed out, the way to the SB for the Packers is to improve the defense, while of course, keeping a close eye on the offense and making sure you don't let it get worse.

Last edited:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Remember the team we had in 2011? The team that scored a ton of points? How'd that work out for us? How about the Falcons since you mentioned them. How'd leading the league in scoring work out for them? You have to be able to STOP people to win a SB. Period. Once the Patriots figured out how to play defense, and Stop the Falcons from scoring... all while the Falcons were unable to stop them once their offense got into rythem you saw what happened haha. Can't expect to score 35 points a game. Its not realistic. Gotta stop people.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Remember the team we had in 2011? The team that scored a ton of points? How'd that work out for us? How about the Falcons since you mentioned them. How'd leading the league in scoring work out for them? You have to be able to STOP people to win a SB. Period. Once the Patriots figured out how to play defense, and Stop the Falcons from scoring... all while the Falcons were unable to stop them once their offense got into rythem you saw what happened haha. Can't expect to score 35 points a game. Its not realistic. Gotta stop people.

It's probably our only Chance this year with the way things are shaking out so gotta roll with it.

I don't have a whole lot of faith that some rookie is gonna come in and just be able to shut developed NFL receivers down or really even slow them up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts