I am so pissed off at Ted Thompson...

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hold on, let me clarify, for myself at least. I don't think the current team is good enough to win the Super Bowl as it sits right now. I'm not talking about 2010 or even 2018. I'd be very surprised if they were able to pull it off this year.

In fact, this is the first year since 2010 that I've felt they don't really have a realistic chance.

That's fine. But his words "this franchise as currently constituated" suggests more than just this year's roster, unless I'm totally missing his meaning. He seemed to be talking about a lot more than one season.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries.... I'm banking on the same rebound that davante Adams had after an injury filled season. Both Randall and Rollins were getting great reviews early on, just like Adams did. Both battled multiple big injuries, just like Adams did his 2nd yr...

So as I said earlier this off season. I think Gunter is our replacement for Hyde. Both physical, good tacklers, and play well despite being a half step slow...

then you have house, Randall, and Rollins all fighting to start. All backed up by a great safety duo.

Add a rookie or two...

I still think Revis was faking his suckyness to get out of NYJ...
I find it hard to believe that an aging NFL player would "fake their suckyness" to get out of anywhere. That seems far too risky to be a viable strategy.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's fine and dandy but thats pretty much money spent on his own guys. We're in the midst of a Super Bowl run with immediate holes to fill and he is just letting money sit there that will flip over to next year's available cap money. He could of used the money available today to plug holes.

It doesn't matter which players the Packers spend money on it's simply not true that Thompson is cheap. He's too risk-averse to sign one of the top free agents despite having sufficient cap space but that's a different story.

Shields missed a good amount of 2015 too with concussions. And considering CBs tend to take a while to develop. I'd say Randall, Rollins, both had a very solid year by veteran cb standards. Great for rookies, one could say...

As I've mentioned several times none of Randall, Rollins and Gunter performed at a decent level without the benefit of having a #1 cornerback on the field in Shields.

In 2015, the Packers defense allowed an average of only 17.3 points per game with Shields playing compared to 28.8 in the four he missed. In addition Hayward was still part of the secondary at that point.

I find it so bizarre that people are so insistent that this franchise, with the same GM/HC/QB, can't win a super bowl when they have literally done exactly that.

Thompson drafted way better early during his tenure than he has over the past six seasons though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields missed 4 games in 2015 (Carolina, Oakland, Arizona and Minnesota). The Packers were 10-4 with Shields in the lineup. Without him, the Packers lost 3 out of 4 of those games and the stats weren't "that pretty" during 3 of those games:

Carolina: Loss 29-37 Newton 297 yards passing, 3 TD's
Oakland: Win 30-20 Carr 276 yards 2 TD's
Arizona: Loss 8-38 Palmer 265 2 TD's
Minnesota: Loss 13-20 Bridgewater 99 yards 0 TD's

So without looking how Randall and Rollins individually graded out, I doubt they were "Great" in at least 3 of those 4 games that Shields didn't play in, based on the stats.
Let's not forget Newton was MVP and putting up stupidly huge numbers that season.... Carr and Palmer are borderline elite qbs in this league. You would expect 260 yds and a couple scores... bridgewater 90 yds and 0tds is total dominance.

Your tilted stat line doesn't change my mind...

As far as the "great" quote? The whole quote was they were average in league wide standards. Which I consider great considering they were rookies... with pretext stating most rookie CBs look like garbage... way to take that quote out of context to try to make me look bad...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that an aging NFL player would "fake their suckyness" to get out of anywhere. That seems far too risky to be a viable strategy.
At the time, In his mind, he is still Revis island. Infallible. Making qb money... he didn't play as bad as the jets fans say, if you ask him. But the dynamics involved. Loyalty-broken. $$$$$-wasted. Season-lost. Hero- quit and ran away... jets fans acting like chicks who just got dumped for the first time, doesn't make me think Revis is crap now...
it's still quite shocking to me that him and Peterson aren't getting any respect.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
This isn't 2010 and the game has changed some even since then. With extreme roster turnover due to free agency, serious injuries etc etc you simply just can't draft 7 guys every year and sign a bunch of UDFA's and be a step ahead everyone else.

Throw in some bad drafts and you have serious roster issues. Aaron Rodgers is the greatest equalizer I've seen since Michael Jordan and that's why I use the comparison as I believe he is worthy.

As the game changes TT stays the same and that's where we're stuck at.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It doesn't matter which players the Packers spend money on it's simply not true that Thompson is cheap. He's too risk-averse to sign one of the top free agents despite having sufficient cap space but that's a different story.

As I've mentioned several times none of Randall, Rollins and Gunter performed at a decent level without the benefit of having a #1 cornerback on the field in Shields.

In 2015, the Packers defense allowed an average of only 17.3 points per game with Shields playing compared to 28.8 in the four he missed. In addition Hayward was still part of the secondary at that point.

Thompson drafted way better early during his tenure than he has over the past six seasons though.

We will see if the classes 2015-Present end up reversing course for Thompson. But regardless of any of that, it's nonsensical to say that a franchise that has had no institutional changes can't do something that it's already done. It's just irrational whining.

D

Deleted member 6794

We will see if the classes 2015-Present end up reversing course for Thompson. But regardless of any of that, it's nonsensical to say that a franchise that has had no institutional changes can't do something that it's already done. It's just irrational whining.

While it's possible the Packers win another Super Bowl with the current front office and coaching staff I don't feel confident about a defense compiled by Thompson and being coached by Capers to hold up the end of their bargain.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it so bizarre that people are so insistent that this franchise, with the same GM/HC/QB, can't win a super bowl when they have literally done exactly that.

I get how some people feel like they could do more to improve their chances, but you can't say they can't do it when they've already done it.

Really have to figure that the other players on the team now as opposed to 2010 negate the contention that "this" franchise (meaning team, IMO) won a SB.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Really have to figure that the other players on the team now as opposed to 2010 negate the contention that "this" franchise (meaning team, IMO) won a SB.

Maybe he needs to weigh in on what he meant, but generally when people say "franchise" they don't mean that season's specific roster. That usually means the entire team structure, FO included.

While it's possible the Packers win another Super Bowl with the current front office and coaching staff I don't feel confident about a defense compiled by Thompson and being coached by Capers to hold up the end of their bargain.

I have no problem with that being your opinion. But that's not what we're talking about.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he needs to weigh in on what he meant, but generally when people say "franchise" they don't mean that season's specific roster. That usually means the entire team structure, FO included.

Obviously a communication problem. What you say is exactly what I meant, except yours left out the part about that entire team structure in 2010 being entirely difference that the entire team structure heading into 2017. In other words, the current team structure has never won a SB.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the defense has to show that they can win a game. Our offense should be good, but there's always that one game in a playoff run where they find ways to shut you down (because you usually run into good defenses in the playoffs). The defense has to hold up in those situations, and we haven't been seeing that lately.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I get how some people feel like they could do more to improve their chances, but you can't say they can't do it when they've already done it.

Well key words are " Improve their chances". Obviously things would be different. I'm saying they can't do it as currently constructed. GM has not fixed D & Rodgers can't do it by himself. That 2010 D had Woodson, a Clay Matthews who actually played with heart, Raji, etc.

As Rodgers gets older, things begin to look alot worse. If he ever declined dramatically, your looking at a two win team. I see no other positions filled with anything " Great".

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense does have question marks, but consider we "should" still have the services of guys like Raji, Matthews and Shields, all in a very productive portion of the career, but one has been injured, one has retired and one is out for concussion reasons. Toss in one of the best safeties that would be near the end of his time that was cut short by injury, All draft picks, by the guy people say can't draft defense. It's been a while, but I think we have some young guys that are going to get better and do enough to make at least some people happy.

He does need to find some more on defense, that much is certain, but people need to quit acting like this team has nobody but Rodgers. If randall and Rollins don't show improvment and Clark doesn't move forward like I expect him to, then we're in trouble. But i'm not as pessimistic as most. There's a long history of bringing guys along with this team and a rookie season and injury plagued 2nd season for some isn't going to kill that for me :)

D

Deleted member 6794

There's a long history of bringing guys along with this team and a rookie season and injury plagued 2nd season for some isn't going to kill that for me :)

While that was true for the early part of Thompson's tenure it hasn't been anymore since the new CBA significantly decreased the amount of practices teams are allowed to hold six years ago.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that was true for the early part of Thompson's tenure it hasn't been anymore since the new CBA significantly decreased the amount of practices teams are allowed to hold six years ago.
That is a huge point, IMO. We can't develop the UDFAs and the young guys as quickly as we used to, the new rules don't allow for it. That alone is one big difference from 2010. It's probably part of why Belichick is seeking more veteran players these days.

He does need to find some more on defense, that much is certain, but people need to quit acting like this team has nobody but Rodgers.
All those guys you mentioned are either gone or compromised though. The offense looks pretty good, IMO - even though RB is a question mark, and the line isn't really that great of a run blocking line. I think Rodgers plays best when he throws the ball more anyway, the short passes keep him warmed up.

The defense is the problem, although I don't know if it's the talent (TT) or Capers. I go back and forth. Yeah, Capers has "done it before", but he does have that history of having a few good years then falling off, for whatever reason.

Members online

Latest posts