Here it comes

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Few major things I noticed beyond the obvious turnovers.

Using Aaron Jones to replace Ervin as the motion man took him out of the running game too much. In addition, give it to the motion man at least once! Otherwise there’s no threat to it. Who else could we have used as the motion man outside of Jones there?

Amos isn’t playing as well as last year.

Pettine drops DL into coverage too often. He’s getting too cute. Not blitzing.

We got no pressure. Preston Smith has been quite a bit worse. Maybe it was just this game, but he got handled when he was in. Z seems to only get pressure when he’s at 3T. P. Smith hasn't done much of anything so far this year. Z was invisible yesterday too.

Josh Jackson had some nice moments in run defense! That was surprising.

Barnes is a player. Good find there.

White and David are most likely the fastest LB’s we’ll see all year. They played a big time role.

Suh is still dirty. Shocker. Agreed.

After the picks Rodgers was just off. Footwork was rushed, he was feeling the footsteps. He can’t be doing that. He had guys open. He was getting hammered all day long, even before the picks. I'm just glad he got out of there alive...

I know he’s not great in pass coverage yet, but AJ Dillon is a much better runner than Jamaal. They gotta get him more carries. He could’ve helped a lot, IMO.

Jamaal had a surprisingly terrible time in blitz pickup. Dillon might not be ready for that yet.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jamaal had a surprisingly terrible time in blitz pickup. Dillon might not be ready for that yet.
That surprised me from Jamaal. he's been pretty rock steady and I consider him one of the best pass protectors out there. And there he was just sucking at times yesterday. I never expected that from him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That surprised me from Jamaal. he's been pretty rock steady and I consider him one of the best pass protectors out there. And there he was just sucking at times yesterday. I never expected that from him.

Couldn't handle their speed. One of their linebackers said on a play he beat Williams for a sack he knew that he had to slide over to block him and there was no way Williams would get to the spot on time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have excellent linebackers, but i've see jamaal block about anyone. he was not his usual self yesterday either.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best strategy that I learned from playing and coaching sports in all of my years, was to use the opponent's strength against them. I guess I really learned it from judo when I was a kid. Translated to football, when they rush hard call plays that counter that such as screens. When the sit on the under, send'em deep. When the defensive lineman wants to go left, keep pushing him left and all the way out of the play (I know that doesn't work with reach blocks....but in general...).

I believe that Tampa did that on offense. I don't remember hearing Mike Evans' name. I just looked it up, two targets one catch. I assume that's because Jaire was on him. So what did Tampa do, they went to Gronk and Godwin who were 5 of 8 and 5 of 7 respectively for catches and targets. Adapt to your opponent, use their strategy to your advantage, use their leverage against them.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if the game plan was poor. We dominated the first quarter and jumped to a 10-0 lead. But during that quarter Rodgers was getting hit almost every time he set up to pass. It appeared our OL was overwhelmed all game long. I like our line outside of the RT but they had a game to forget.

Matt said after the game, that they were out-coached and out-played. I am not an athlete so take that into consideration, but I don't understand how a team can get so discombobutaled. It seems like in the last several years, that when the Packers come out of the Bye, they don't know their front end from their hinder.

I was also thinking that if this had to happen, I'm glad it happened early in the season. I hope they come out next week on fire.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

:eek:

This is what probably bothers me the most about Pettine's defenses. You draft fast, athletic, cover corners, then you basically have them line up in the third row of the end zone seats. That's on third and two or whatever, I don't know how the hell you expect to stop anything like that.

Last edited:

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, this game plan was seriously flawed on both sides of the ball, were the coaches sleeping? Got to adjust to the blitz, got to adjust when they sit on short out routes. And do not let a statue sit in the pocket. Its not rocket science, it is short sightedness.
That, and for some reason they tried to run outside on that fast defense. They has success going up the middle and they went away from it.

When the Packers ran the ball up the middle in the A gap.

6 attempts - 58 yards - 9.6 AVG

Everywhere else

13 attempts - 18 yards - 1.3 AVG

D

Deleted member 6794

After the picks Rodgers was just off. Footwork was rushed, he was feeling the footsteps. He can’t be doing that. He had guys open.

While Rodgers definitely had receivers open he didn't have any time to scan the field for them as he was consistently under pressure.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fire Capers.........
it actually seems oddly familiar doesn't it. Defense can be good, but has more than a few moments where they seem to not be able to stop a nose bleed and give up yards and points in the blink of any eye. If they don't stop a drive early or get a turnover, they usually don't at all and it's points.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does it seem like our DC's have been pretty great Before they came to GB? Yeah, Capers had a good defense for a while and then mediocre.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does it seem like our DC's have been pretty great Before they came to GB? Yeah, Capers had a good defense for a while and then mediocre.
They don't keep up with offensive changes and how offenses have compensated for their old defensive plans. They think what they did in the past is still going to work. And for some reason they don't adjust well during the game when things go sour.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not so buffoonery now is it

Still buffoonery, although not a word I've ever used before haha. Can't trade Rodgers until earliest prior to next year's draft. All this stuff is just filler for the annual slow time in sports

Members online

Latest posts