Head Coach interviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to think if Gute and Murphy are thinking about hiring McDaniels, they would at least ask Rodgers his opinion. If all 3 of them are good with McDaniels, then I am as well.

He was Denver Hc like a decade ago when he was a very young man, I’m sure he’s learned a lot since then.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Murphy and Gute already know who they are going to hire. As of now all of the interviews are a dog and pony show while they iron out the details of the deal and the timing of the announcement.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Murphy and Gute already know who they are going to hire. As of now all of the interviews are a dog and pony show while they iron out the details of the deal and the timing of the announcement.

It would be foolish not to take this opportunity to interview a half-dozen or more prospects. This is Green Bay's chance to hear voices from outside the organization and gather intel, something that is much needed.

My guess is that they will do an initial round of interviews, and then invite one-to-three candidates back for a second interview. We'll see.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think so

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to think if Gute and Murphy are thinking about hiring McDaniels, they would at least ask Rodgers his opinion. If all 3 of them are good with McDaniels, then I am as well.

He was Denver Hc like a decade ago when he was a very young man, I’m sure he’s learned a lot since then.
That I agree with, but my concern is taping scandel in Denver and hanging the colts out to dry.

I'd love to know the reasoning why.. Even if valid or a common person would act in same manner.. I still might pass

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I read on the taping scandal is the same guy that was guilty of filming during spygate,spies on the 49ers during walk throughs. When he presented the tapes to McDaniels he said no way did he want to see them and the NFL believed McDaniels and only found fault because he delayed reporting the incident. But,it does sound sketchy.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5855075

Last edited:

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. It’s human nature for them at the very least to have a #1 option in their mind going into the interviews.

Sure, the interviews could change their minds, but it is more likely they stick with their first instinct.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That I agree with, but my concern is taping scandel in Denver and hanging the colts out to dry.
If the Packers hire McDaniels, are we going to get a "cheating" reputation like the Patriots? Will he be able to hire his own football inflaters?

Someone said on one of the sports shows today that McDaniels is the type who wants complete control. I hadn't heard that before, but wouldn't that indicate he would be looking to move into a GM position also, sort of like how Belichick has total control over the Patriots (minus the owner)?

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did forget about Jimmy Garroppolo coming into his own under McDaniels, so maybe he would be the perfect fit. I’m not against it, I’d just prefer to have Bienemy. Kind of like how I would prefer a Fat Squirell over a Spotted Cow.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Fitzgerald said he was staying, but the Packers are still wanting to trying to interview him, then my guess he is choice #1 for them. If he was further down the list, can't believe they would make an effort. I know I wouldn't.. I'd expend energy on guys actively looking not on trying to convince someone.

D

Deleted member 6794

Exactly. What are two things the Patriots offense does well? 1 - Short and quick passes to keep drives alive. 2 - get receivers open. Both of these things have been lacking for the Packers. I can't count the number of times Brady stands there and finds Gronk wide open without a defender in sight...and Gronk isn't exactly quick...the system JM operates will be perfect to fix what has been hurting Green Bay's offense.

McDaniels hasn't been successful without Belichick and Brady though. I'm concerned he would turn into another BB disciple who doesn't work out as a head coach with another team.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McDaniels hasn't been successful without Belichick and Brady though.
He would have a guy named Rodgers to work with though. Of course, according to Rodgers' critics, that may not be a big plus.
And it's not like Rodgers needs developed, maybe just have his philosophies tweaked a bit.

D

Deleted member 6794

He would have a guy named Rodgers to work with though. Of course, according to Rodgers' critics, that may not be a big plus.
And it's not like Rodgers needs developed, maybe just have his philosophies tweaked a bit.

I meant that it seems a lot of McDaniels success is based on working under Belichick. That's true for a lot of coaches that have been part of the Patriots organization over the past 19 years.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant that it seems a lot of McDaniels success is based on working under Belichick. That's true for a lot of coaches that have been part of the Patriots organization over the past 19 years.
You're right, and you also mentioned Brady. I was just saying we don't have Brady (or Belichick), but we do have Rodgers.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're right, and you also mentioned Brady. I was just saying we don't have Brady (or Belichick), but we do have Rodgers.

Rodgers is a more talented quarterback than Brady but he needs a head coach capable of designing an innovative game plan. I'm not convinced McDaniels would be the right choice while having to work without Belichick.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is a more talented quarterback than Brady but he needs a head coach capable of designing an innovative game plan. I'm not convinced McDaniels would be the right choice while having to work without Belichick.

Who out there do you think fits that bill? Does a guy like Lefluer? Tennessee wasnt a great offense but they had pretty no one at wr, te, and honestly leave a lot to be desire at qb. They won 9 games with Blaine Gabbert taking a quarter of their qb snaps. I dont know enough about him to know if he is a good option but the Packers are interviewing him Sunday.

The list so far of confirmed interviews is
Caldwell
Pagano

Interviews confirmed to come
Philbin
McDaniels
LaFluer
Dan Campbell TE coach New Orleans

Other interviews requested according to reports
Fitzgerald
Flores
Munchak

Other rumored names
Gase
Bienemy

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers will interview Brian Flores in New England on Friday and have set up a meeting with Matt LaFleur on Sunday.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure how I feel on Bienemy, as I don’t know is full role. Is it Reid running that offense? Is it Bienemy creating it? And if it is him, how does he plan on making this roster go on offense, as it is not the same as KC.

Beebe82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure how I feel on Bienemy, as I don’t know is full role. Is it Reid running that offense? Is it Bienemy creating it? And if it is him, how does he plan on making this roster go on offense, as it is not the same as KC.
Before this season Bienemy was in charge of developing the running backs and designing the route tree for them, he was also the mentor to Mahomes.

From what I’ve read, Reid makes the tactical play calls and his OC has always done the concepts or strategy for the week. So Bienemy is in charge Monday to Thursday of deciding what strategy they will use against the opponent and then Reid designs the call sheet and makes the actual play calls during the game.

In the past pederson had actual play calling responsibilities and Nagy had a similar role to Bienemy, but worked with the QBs exclusively before being OC.

I think Bienemy would be a great long term hire, but would go through 2 seasons of learning. He seems to be able to get the most out of everyone he has developed including Adrian Peterson, Kareem Hunt and Patrick Mahomes.

I’m really high on him because of how well he developed Mahomes last year. According to what I read on MMQB I think, Bienemy and Mahomes worked everyday last season to acclimate him to NFL, his mechanics and work on his film study. He was very vocal about Mahomes being ready and the Chiefs being able to move on from Alex Smith.

Bienemy has the most potential out of any one in my opinion, but with Rodgers window of 3-5 years there might be a better quick fix option to get the Packers 1-2 more Super Bowls with a Hall of Famer.

If Rodgers wasn’t here and we were starting fresh with Kizer or another QB, Bienemy would be a no brainer.

Last edited:

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the system JM operates will be perfect to fix what has been hurting Green Bay's offense.

If he can get Rodgers out of his home run mentality. Getting receivers open hasn't been as big a problem as people think. Having Rodgers throw to those receivers instead of looking for the big play has been a bigger issue.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
If he can get Rodgers out of his home run mentality. Getting receivers open hasn't been as big a problem as people think. Having Rodgers throw to those receivers instead of looking for the big play has been a bigger issue.
Both have been issues with the Packers. And both need correcting.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would at least like the Packers to interview Bienemy and/or Taylor for the job.
I am sure I should know this but who is Taylor. Right now Bienemy and LeFluer are at the top for me. Gase intrigues me just bc i give him a little pass for the train wreck in Miami bc that front office is insane. McDaniels is also intriguing if he can wow in his interview but he obviously has red flags. Love the northwestern guy but just don't know about him at the NFL level

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am sure I should know this but who is Taylor. Right now Bienemy and LeFluer are at the top for me. Gase intrigues me just bc i give him a little pass for the train wreck in Miami bc that front office is insane. McDaniels is also intriguing if he can wow in his interview but he obviously has red flags. Love the northwestern guy but just don't know about him at the NFL level

Zac Taylor, Rams QB coach

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wonder if there is any chance that Pete Carmichael Jr would come over with Dan Campbell? It would be a lateral move, but he's been there for 10 years and hasn't gotten much love for his own gig. He might want to get out of Payton's shadow and call his own plays so he can get more action on the interview circuit. Campbell/Carmichael as a package deal would be pretty great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts