Head Coach interviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My older brother played with Josh McDaniels in HS, on a state championship football team where Josh was the QB and his dad Tom was the Head Coach. They are still a tight knit group, who actually keep in contact. Inside source says Josh is ONLY going to leave NE if he gets the Packers job...which is the ONLY job he will leave for...and WANTS. The Packers want Josh and actually reached out to him SEVERAL times. I’m almost 100% sure he’s going to be the next HC in Green Bay. Again, I have sources even the talking heads in GB don’t have.

He's turning down other interviews:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/03/packers-or-bust-for-patriots-oc-josh-mcdaniels/

Hopefully "the Packers want Josh" means everyone in GB, not just Murphy.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Going to be some upset folks who don’t want McDaniels. Only two things can keep him from coming to GB. If the Browns or some other team throw a ridiculous amount of money at him and give him TOTAL control of the roster much like B.B. has in New England....or some other candidate blows Gute and Murphy away ...which I doubt because I’m sure McDaniels is the guy they want.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm going to leave his balls to himself

but I doubt they have made any changes. the whole thing was a joke. I've never played pro, but every level seemed to let teams use whatever ball they wanted. as long as it wasn't obviously tampered with, no body said anything. I do remember in high school the opposing team having to put some air in their balls to start. But by and large, the refs grabbed them, and if they felt good, you played on. I preferred they warm their hands first before grabbing them though.

Guessing it was intentional on your part, but the last half of that made me uncomfortable and in need to rinse my eyes out with salt water. :cry:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How the hell is Ron Zook still employed here? Unless the fo is going to allow the new coach to decide his fate.

Would you want someone hired as the HC that actually wanted to retain Zook?

I came to the conclusion that Gute has the current coaching staff working on player evaluations, probably something in their contracts and which could be helpful or just trash, for the next staff. But I am pretty certain, he has a date set to hand out pink slips and maybe just to appear a bit PC, that date is after the new HC is announced and if there are a few scraps he wants from the current group of Packer coaches, it won't look so awkward firing and hiring people one at a time over a long stretch of time.

Might also be a way to give the old coaches a bit for their resume that they were let go due to the regime change and not just outright fired once the season was done.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
My older brother played with Josh McDaniels in HS, on a state championship football team where Josh was the QB and his dad Tom was the Head Coach. They are still a tight knit group, who actually keep in contact. Inside source says Josh is ONLY going to leave NE if he gets the Packers job...which is the ONLY job he will leave for...and WANTS. The Packers want Josh and actually reached out to him SEVERAL times. I’m almost 100% sure he’s going to be the next HC in Green Bay. Again, I have sources even the talking heads in GB don’t have.

Not saying this isnt probable, as I have had inside info on things for years, so I know rules can be bent.

These are serious questions and not just trying to bust your balls.

Reaching out isnt against league rules? or is it okay all season long?

If the talking heads in GB dont know, wouldnt that mean JM camp is speculating that the Packers will hire him? Unless the Packers told him we will hire you, which in turn would be a violation of the Rooney rule.?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
My favorite pick of the liter is Matt lefluer and Pete Carmichael. I don’t hate Josh McDaniels as an OC, but I don’t think he has the skills to establish a locker room with heart it lacks. I also will hate looking at that ugly visor.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If the talking heads in GB dont know, wouldnt that mean JM camp is speculating that the Packers will hire him? Unless the Packers told him we will hire you, which in turn would be a violation of the Rooney rule.?
It's only tampering if the FO doesnt know.

Not sure they would be interviewing so many prospects if they already decided. However, I heard it is sometimes done to "see" into an organization. Good to know how things are being done by your successful competitors.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

How many weeks before you hate him ? :D

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping whoever gets hired as HC brings back Alex Van Pelt as Asst. Coordinator/QB Coach so he can reign-in AR's tendency to hold the ball for 8 seconds and either heave it downfield or get sacked. I'm hoping that Van Pelt was THE missing ingredient to this offense exploding?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not saying this isnt probable, as I have had inside info on things for years, so I know rules can be bent.

These are serious questions and not just trying to bust your balls.

No it wouldn’t because the Rooney rule only implies that you interview Minority coaches...not hire them. The Packers have already met their quota.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping whoever gets hired as HC brings back Alex Van Pelt as Asst. Coordinator/QB Coach so he can reign-in AR's tendency to hold the ball for 8 seconds and either heave it downfield or get sacked. I'm hoping that Van Pelt was THE missing ingredient to this offense exploding?

Only person that can fix that is Rodgers himself. He needs to learn to trust the receivers he has and give them an opportunity to make plays.

No matter how great of plays you draw up. If Rodgers keeps scrambling looking for the splash play . He will keep taking those stupid sacks

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No it wouldn’t because the Rooney rule only implies that you interview Minority coaches...not hire them. The Packers have already met their quota.
If 4 they spoke to him and said we want Josh., I think that the fo won't like that

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if McDaniels would be the right choice for HC, but he would definitely be an interesting choice.
If it's true that McDaniels wants to come here, then that would also mean that he wants to work with Rodgers, which is a good thing.
It also reminds me a bit of Holmgren, an OC coming here from a successful team.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If 4 they spoke to him and said we want Josh., I think that the fo won't like that

That’s just speculation, no one can prove that if it were the case. But the Packers inquired about McDaniels the week they fired McCarthy. Doesn’t mean they necessarily spoke with him personally...however they did reach out to some folks to get some background history about him and if he’d even be willing to leave to come to GB.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers will interview Josh McDaniels on Friday.
Well, if that's the way they want to go then I'd suggest not stopping the interview process or make any other personnel moves until he puts his signature on the contract. ;)

I can't say I've read every post in this thread, but among the negatives I've seen posted one seems to be omitted: Spygate II

McDaniels and the Broncos were fined $50,000 each for taping 6 minutes of a 49ers practice prior to a 2010 game, with Scarnecchia allegedly doing the deed. McDaniels claimed he did not ask for the taping nor accept the tape after the fact. How many other tapes there might have been would be a matter of speculation. What is known is McDaniels and Scarnecchia were both employed by New England during the Spygate I period in question where there were serial infractions identified over multiple years.

Since it is hard to know how pervasive cheating might be around the league, whether it's taping or anything else, it's difficult to know whether that should necessarily be a disqualification. Evidently not in the Packer front office. But if you're dumb enough to keep getting caught at it, that should be a reason for concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All that I've been able to guess so far is that McDaniels is the odds-on favorite, but they really wanted Fitzgerald.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if he was HC, I will always have a feeling he's in cahoots with Belichick. It would take a loooong time for him to be rid of the Belichick stooge image.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even if he was HC, I will always have a feeling he's in cahoots with Belichick. It would take a loooong time for him to be rid of the Belichick stooge image.
Yup, I can see it now. ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.