Gutekunst vs Thompson

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think LaFleur will play to our strengths and get Graham more involved in the RedZone and into a semi good year (last year being C- grade for his ability) putting up 850+/8 TDs (give or take) buys him another season.
Let's hope so, it didn't seem like McCarthy used him to maximum effectiveness. Almost seemed like he forgot he was there.

D

Deleted member 6794

You guys are arguing about draft vs FA strategies, which is like arguing about whether you like the frilly top or the rhinestone top on the stripper. PackerfaninCarolina nailed it. The key is drafting the right guys and bringing in the right free agents. Ted's strategy was fine but his execution became atrocious in his later years - possibly due to his best personnel guys bolting to other teams. Mike Sherman drafted poorly AND spent boatloads of Packers fans money on useless free agents. Does anyone remember Joe Johnson? Nope. A smart GM uses a good blend of both drafting and free agency, hopefully leaning towards whichever area is their strength.

Bottom line - get the right guys no matter how they get in the door: draft, free agency, UDFAs, taxi squad, camp bodies, etc...

Actually the draft has to be the main way of building the core of a roster. Teams have to use free agency and/or trades to upgrade obvious positions of need though. Thompson failed in that area and once he wasn't able to maintain drafting at an elite level the overall talent on the Packers roster significantly declined.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually the draft has to be the main way of building the core of a roster. Teams have to use free agency and/or trades to upgrade obvious positions of need though. Thompson failed in that area and once he wasn't able to maintain drafting at an elite level the overall talent on the Packers roster significantly declined.
Thank God no one else realized how good Charles Woodson still was, or we may not have had any Super Bowls under Rodgers. I think Tampa was the only other team who pursued him. Ted gets credit for signing him, but if he was in demand, he never would have got to us.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we’ve only just begun with Gutes Graham move. 2019 will be the true test. Hopefully with an improved O line and a healthier start at QB early in the season.
I think LaFleur will play to our strengths and get Graham more involved in the RedZone and into a semi good year (last year being C- grade for his ability) putting up 850+/8 TDs (give or take) buys him another season.
And I think what will really help is a "real" slot receiver. Nobody on our roster now. Been reading about AJ Brown. Sounds very interesting.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Awful pick at number 12 Gute, awful!!

This is one big squandered pick you just made and it's no help to reenergizing or retooling the offense for Rodgers and LaFleur.

First you screwed up by trading last year's pick to the Saints and passing up on Derwin James, and now you fail to get a rock solid OL or speedster playmaker in our 12th rounder.

Wtf are you doing? Getting your advice from Ted Thompson?

Man, enough of this garbage.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

This is one big squandered pick you just made and it's no help to reenergizing or retooling the offense for Rodgers and LaFleur.

First you screwed up by trading last year's pick to the Saints and passing up on Derwin James, and now you fail to get a rock solid OL or speedster playmaker in our 12th rounder.

This pick could be this years Malik McDowell.

Let the INSANITY continue

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

whaaaaaaaaaaaaa
whaaaaaaaaaaaaa
whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I was going for an equal constructive post, which I realize was pretty worthless

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This pick could be this years Malik McDowell.

Let the INSANITY continue

I might be a little less steamed if we get Campbell before this night is over, but it should have been him plus an OL guy this first round, especially a T. And yes teams were picking those like the Bengals right before us.

LB is not a need right now while OT and WR are. Somebody needs to beat that into Gute's head with a two by four.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might be a little less steamed if we get Campbell before this night is over, but it should have been him plus an OL guy this first round, especially a T. And yes teams were picking those like the Bengals right before us.

LB is not a need right now while OT and WR are. Somebody needs to beat that into Gute's head with a two by four.
Personally I still think Detroit got one over us with that TE pick. It's not like they know how to use them.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see offense too, but the best players this year are supposed to be on the defensive side.
I'm not exactly filled with confidence over the #12 pick, but I'll wait and see how it pans out.

Personally I still think Detroit got one over us with that TE pick. It's not like they know how to use them.
I'm not sure we do anymore, either.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Gary pick, I can defend and stand behind. But trading both our 4th rounders in order to move up to select a safety, while you are in prime position to select a top OL prospect in Ford/Risner or have your pickings at WR is a headscratcher to me. I still have faith, but day 2 has to be Offense only!

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least Ted was good for about 4 years. Gute may not have 1 good year. This is a ****ing embarrassment.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mark Murphy and Brian G must be shown the door if this season turns out like last year again.

You hire an offensive guy as a HC, then give him some damn weapons.

Man, these two clowns have brought this front office way down from where it was when Harlan and Wolf ran it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowns are easy to spot...

Ron Wolf's first draft 1st 3 rounds DB, NT, DT
2nd, DB,LB and then a WR
3rd draft LB, DB, Tackle
4th- Guard, RB, DE

First 4 drafts, 2 to 1 defense to offense

5th DB, DT, FB
6th all offense T, WR, Center, although only the center would amount to anything
7th T, DB, K, yes that's right a kicker who never did anything
8th draft- DE, DE, DB
9th DB, DB, DB
10th TE, T, DT
11th and final draft DE, WR, DB.

count 'em up clown. notice a pattern? again, almost 2-1 defense to offense.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clowns are easy to spot...

Ron Wolf's first draft 1st 3 rounds DB, NT, DT
2nd, DB,LB and then a WR
3rd draft LB, DB, Tackle
4th- Guard, RB, DE

First 4 drafts, 2 to 1 defense to offense

5th DB, DT, FB
6th all offense T, WR, Center, although only the center would amount to anything
7th T, DB, K, yes that's right a kicker who never did anything
8th draft- DE, DE, DB
9th DB, DB, DB
10th TE, T, DT
11th and final draft DE, WR, DB.

count 'em up clown. notice a pattern? again, almost 2-1 defense to offense.

RIDICULOUS BS

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because you can't count? or you can't read? if you don't believe me, go look for yourself. How can you disagree with the draft history of the GB packers under Ron wolf? It's kind of already happened and written down LOL

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this keeps up, Gute will not have two more years. I'm officially on board the fire him and Murphy bandwagon. These picks are no help to Rodgers.
we've still got the early 2nd pick (44), and 3rd (75), to help rodgers. the one person who can really help rodgers...is rodgers. a great D will get the ball back for rodgers and also keep him from having to work miracles. i've no fireable issues with gute or murphy yet.

Last edited:

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Of the players available at #12 who would you have taken instead? Was there a rock solid OL still sitting there worth taking at that spot? Can't we still get a decent OL tomorrow? TT found an all-pro LT in the fourth round if memory serves.

IMO defense wins championships. You make it sound like we're now circling the drain because we used these 2 picks on D.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Of the players available at #12 who would you have taken instead? Was there a rock solid OL still sitting there worth taking at that spot? Can't we still get a decent OL tomorrow? TT found an all-pro LT in the fourth round if memory serves.

IMO defense wins championships. You make it sound like we're now circling the drain because we used these 2 picks on D.

They used 4 picks today on the defense on top of 200 million dollars in free agency on top of countless top picks over the last 5 years.

OUR DEFENSE HASN'T WON ****!

Members online

Latest posts