Gutekunst vs Thompson

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They used 4 picks today on the defense on top of 200 million dollars in free agency on top of countless top picks over the last 5 years.

OUR DEFENSE HASN'T WON ****!

OUR DEFENSE AS IT IS RIGHT NOW HASN'T PLAYED TOGETHER YET EITHER so it is hard for them to win anything before they play a single down. smh

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
OUR DEFENSE AS IT IS RIGHT NOW HASN'T PLAYED TOGETHER YET EITHER so it is hard for them to win anything before they play a single down. smh

Optimism is one thing but to think the moves made are going to make this defense elite is a PiPE DREAM. IMO they just spun there wheels today and didnt do anything to push it in the Elite Category. They wasted major capital with the offense desperately needing some help.

Let's see how great this defense is when Rodgers is on the sideline injured because we cant protect him. Or Devante Adam's gets hurt and nobody else can get open. We dont even have a bell cow back to carry a significant work load.

This is a disaster waiting to happen. There will be no more Super Bowls for a long long time in Green Bay.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Optimism is one thing but to think the moves made are going to make this defense elite is a PiPE DREAM. IMO they just spun there wheels today and didnt do anything to push it in the Elite Category. They wasted major capital with the offense desperately needing some help.

Let's see how great this defense is when Rodgers is on the sideline injured because we cant protect him. Or Devante Adam's gets hurt and nobody else can get open. We dont even have a bell cow back to carry a significant work load.

This is a disaster waiting to happen. There will be no more Super Bowls for a long long time in Green Bay.

So which offensive players do you feel would have been available and a better value at these 2 spots instead?

We can still address WR and TE later on today. Remember, D. Adams was a second round pick and Bak was taken in the 4th.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They used 4 picks today on the defense on top of 200 million dollars in free agency on top of countless top picks over the last 5 years.

Unfortunately true. Of course this is only Gute's second year, same with Pettine. Plus LeFleur may have something to say. So hopefully past performance will not be indicative of future results.

I was reading some stats on the current Bears defense. It's funny how certain teams have certain identities. Good defenses seem to go along with the Bears name. Just like good quarterbacks have been the Packers identity the last few decades. We had some good defenses in the 60s and the 90s, I don't know why we can't seem to get one together here lately.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

that last line is very true, but it was in 2010 which was a big factor.

we can't say that the D hasn't been strengthened, with FA, and two early picks who we don't know if they will be succesful or busts.

if we start spending our next few picks on O, will you be a bit more happy. a better D will give the O more chances on game day, the team needs to be balanced, unfortunately the D probably needs a bit more work than the O for the most part, because AR can cover up some of the holes as he has been doing. fixing this team is not gonna happen overnight. if we improve this year compared to last, then to some degree it's been succesful

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we've still got the early 2nd pick (44), and 3rd (75), to help rodgers. the one person who can really help rodgers...is rodgers. a great D will get the ball back for rodgers and also keep him from having to work miracles. i've no fireable issues with gute or murphy yet.

That about sums up the diarrhea way of thinking that got in Ted Thompson's head the last couple years he was here.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, from people who complain about Rodgers level of play all the time and even talk about wanting him traded but apparently don't think anything should be done to infuse all star talent into the offense. RIDICULOUS!!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the entire league passes on what a couple on here consider "all star" talent, what does that tell you?

anyway, there are a lot of offensive options left on the board. GB should have no problems finding someone to help this team. The 2 people we drafted would have been gone in the first, taken by someone else had we not chosen them and yet the super star offensive talent we should have taken in the first is still on the board. why?

Our best offensive players have been 2nd round picks, why are people freaking out?

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It has become apparent that some people will never be happy.

i know, a bit of wishful thinking on my part there

Yes, from people who complain about Rodgers level of play all the time and even talk about wanting him traded but apparently don't think anything should be done to infuse all star talent into the offense. RIDICULOUS!!!

Rodgers wasn't up to his usual standards las year, we all saw that. but i honestly can't remember loads of people saying we SHOULD trade him, only that maybe if we did it might open up our cap a bit. but until the draft is over we won't know what weapons we will give him

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So which offensive players do you feel would have been available and a better value at these 2 spots instead?

We can still address WR and TE later on today. Remember, D. Adams was a second round pick and Bak was taken in the 4th.

I expect a lot of the star receivers and OL picks left to get sucked up pretty early tonight by teams like the Cards and Giants who will be wanting to give their young QBs some weapons.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I expect a lot of the star receivers and OL picks left to get sucked up pretty early tonight by teams like the Cards and Giants who will be wanting to give their young QBs some weapons.

Yep the run on the top offensive talent left will mostly be gone by 44 and we have no more ammunition to move up. Once again were playing SECOND FIDDLE.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would also add the ratio of defensive draft busts to offensive is 10:1 over the last ten years.
and I would add there are certain posters prone to emotional outbursts without much thought, so take their non factually supported outbursts for what they're worth. one can hope they grow out of it one day.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute is an incompetent brain dead buffoon.

There went a whole crop of talented crop of weapon WRs and not one landed here. STUPID!!!

I don't care what Mondio, Janis, easyk83 or any of the defenders of this lousy drafting strategy say. I'm on the Fire Gute bandwagon and not getting off of it unless our current crop of receivers step up and this offense starts racking up over 30 ppg on the scoreboard again.

I feel bad for LaFleur getting fed a bunch of nothing burgers to work with by Gute and Murphy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably speak for everyone, kindly take your ball and go home until you can learn to act with the maturity of at least a 7 year old.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I probably speak for everyone, kindly take your ball and go home until you can learn to act with the maturity of at least a 7 year old.

Time for me to buy a lottery ticket. I correctly predicted who Disagreed with your post before looking.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute is an incompetent brain dead buffoon.

There went a whole crop of talented crop of weapon WRs and not one landed here. STUPID!!!

I don't care what Mondio, Janis, easyk83 or any of the defenders of this lousy drafting strategy say. I'm on the Fire Gute bandwagon and not getting off of it unless our current crop of receivers step up and this offense starts racking up over 30 ppg on the scoreboard again.

I feel bad for LaFleur getting fed a bunch of nothing burgers to work with by Gute and Murphy.

Only 3 teams averaged over 30 ppg last year.

We were at 23.5 (good for 14th overall) last year with an outdated offense. Improved line play and a new alone will help that. The expected improvement of the 2nd year offensive players at skill positions *should* help too.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were at 23.5 (good for 14th overall) last year with an outdated offense. Improved line play and a new alone will help that. The expected improvement of the 2nd year offensive players at skill positions *should* help too.

I get the line play, but who or what is the new 'alone'? :)

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get the line play, but who or what is the new 'alone'? :)

I believe he means EJ, our newly drafted center who will likely play guard.

Getting closer with the OL but we still need to upgrade Bulaga's spot.

Yes, OL improvement should help, but we got a lotta expectations that absolutely have to be met at WR and TE, and that includes Graham doing a hell of a lot more this year and JSter showing he's the future at that spot. The reason Brandon and I kept clamoring for one of those receivers taken in the first and second rounds is that with Cobb gone now, GMo is going to have to be a lot more reliable this year than ever before, and while MVS and ESB showed potential, they need to be able to grasp the playbook a lot more this year and step up big time. I think adding a speedster (obviously Campbell I liked but it could have been one of the Browns too) would at minimum push them to do more, and at maximum open up the field even more for them.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that for the most part, Gutenkurst drafts real football players. It seems like toughness/durability and football character were largely ignored by TT at the end of his tenure, and we couldn't even get good ST play out of the picks. But these guys seem to love football and play hard. They are tough. Now let's just hope they can play