Gutekunst vs Thompson

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Can we finally dispel the notion many of you have about Gutekunst being another Thompson? Afraid to make moves? Nothing but a hand puppet.

Enough of this.

Guuuuuuute!!!!!!!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so Gute isn't a puppet with Ted still pulling the strings behind the scenes?

H

HardRightEdge

Or Ted is still pulling strings
All evidence indicates "no". It's interesting to note the Clinton-Dix trade last year was right around the time it was reported Ted moved back to Texas. The evidence typical of a regime change keeps piling up, with "Draft 2.0" in-season signings, McCarthy being fired, and other top Thompson draftees being shed.

If Ted is doing anything for the team now it's reviewing tape and submitting scouting reports which may or may not get much attention.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
All evidence indicates "no". It's interesting to note the Clinton-Dix trade last year was right around the time it was reported Ted moved back to Texas. The evidence typical of a regime change keeps piling up, with "Draft 2.0" in-season signings, McCarthy being fired, and other top Thompson draftees being shed.

If Ted is doing anything for the team now it's reviewing tape and submitting scouting reports which may or may not get much attention.
Umm

I knew Ted had no ties any more other than consulting

Others here thought Ted was pulling strings

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
We'll see. The new GM, thusfar, hasn't really and truly produced anything.

I'm making no inference whatever...just saying...my wife is good at spending too.

Ted Thompson has NOTHING to do with anything anymore. He built his team following the Ron Wolf playbook and he got his Championship.

The new guy now has to do the same. He's making a splash .. Which keeps the youngens here happy, but, so far no results. Patience grasshoppers, patience.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I'm making no inference whatever...just saying...my wife is good at spending too.

Ted Thompson has NOTHING to do with anything anymore. He built his team following the Ron Wolf playbook and he got his Championship.

The new guy now has to do the same. He's making a splash .. Which keeps the youngens here happy, but, so far no results. Patience grasshoppers, patience.

While I get your point, its up to the investments to pay off. However, what Gute has done this morning is put the Packers into a position of having the opportunity to be very successful. If the FA's pan out in the way you hope they do, you have improved the team quite a bit. TT continuously tried to accomplish that through the draft and hoping for his current players to make the next jump in development, we saw the failures of relying too much on that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most teams fail, every year. ALmost 97% fail, every single year. One championship and another team built for another run in 14-16. Not bad. Disappointing for sure, but we've seen the splash teams in FA fail year after year too. We've "won" nothing yet. Exciting? Sure. But Weeds is right, everyone could use some patience. Though I believe the philosopher Axl was the first to tell us that.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Echo patience sentiment. Most exciting FA I can remember for sure, but we haven't won anything under Gute yet.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems like in the main we are trying to put most of this money into the first two years so that we will have some flexibility in year three. Am I off base with this?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It seems like in the main we are trying to put most of this money into the first two years so that we will have some flexibility in year three. Am I off base with this?
Could be, I have to trust that Ball is still very good at what he does. Not much has been said about how the Packers were able to retain him, but he deserves a lot of credit for the way the Packers stay afloat when it comes to the Cap.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sorry, but that doesn't make sense. Gute has done a great job identifying our weakness and taking steps to fix them. All the signings add value to the team. There can be no guarantees on player health or performance that can be attributed to a GM on those we have added now.

Paying through the nose for Cousins was 'spending'. What Gute is doing is reinforcing...and doing a good job at it.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, it's not better, it's not worse...it's all we've got and it'll play out, but all we can do is watch for now. I'm not a fantasy footballer and really am not familiar with what these guys have done.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There can be no guarantees on player health or performance that can be attributed to a GM on those we have added now.
Reading that gave me a cold shiver down my spine considering our luck in regards to injuries go.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was actually happening???

Gutekunst vs.Teddy is like Filet Mignon vs. a Big Mac.

I fully support keeping Teddy on as a consultant. So he can give his input so Gute can completely disregard it and do the exact opposite.

D

Deleted member 6794

While the Packers paid a significant amount of money to all four players signed in form of a signing bonus the cap hits seem to increase after the first season. Preston Smith will count $6 million against the cap in 2019 while increasing to $13.5, $16 and $16.5 million in the coming seasons. It's similar with Amos ($5.9 million in '19, $9.4, $10.05, $10.65 the next three years).

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The notion that Gutekunst is as extreme as TT in terms of being anti-FA should have been dispelled last offseason. However, people will often ignore the evidence if doing so gives them a chance to **** and moan.

I have to say, Gute is trending almost too far in the opposite direction for my liking. I definitely love both the Smith's and Amos. I was calling for them to sign one of the former as well as the latter all offseason. However, they have really mortgaged the future with these moves in order to sign BOTH of the edge players, plus Billy Turner.

If these moved as a collection don't pan out, it's really going to hurt.

We don't have numbers for Za'Darius yet, but here are the collective cap hits of Preston Smith, Adrian Amos, and Billy Turner:

2019: 23.5M
2020: 47.25M
2021: 54.75M
2022: 55.75M

So the impact doesn't feel huge right now, but that's because of all of the back-loading. They are giving up flexibility in the future for more impact in the present. If 2-3 of the acquisitions are big hits, it should pay off. But if that doesn't happen, these contracts will collectively be a millstone around the team's neck until 2022 when the dead money becomes a small enough issue that they can be released.

On the other hand, the cap will continue to rise and the Packers don't have too many in-house candidates to extend in the coming seasons. I also resonate with the desire to load up on young, impact players while Rodgers is still playing. But it's a high risk, high reward strategy. I definitely prefer it to doing nothing, but it's trending towards the other extreme.

EDIT: Updated the numbers to include Za'Darius Smith.

Last edited: