Greg Jennings, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Jennings was a good guy and still is. It doesn't bother me at all that he is now in purple. I feel kind of sorry for him - not sure what he was thinking. He got more than he deserved considering his injury history. Perhaps he will serve as a great reminder for our upcoming FAs that the grass isn't always greener on another team. The extra million he appeared to get from Minny is going to cost him in the long run.
sometimes we never know the full influence of agents. It would seem that more often than not, they want their clients to hold out for a pot of gold that may or may not exist. If I'm a player, I trust them to handle it. This doesn't look like it was handled well. I hope GJ has a great life and career, yet gets shutdown Sunday.

toolkien

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings thought he was worth $14M+ and turned down a very reasonable Packer offer. It sounds like once Jennings didn't get the money he wanted, things got chillier between Jennings and the team, particularly with the other receivers. Perhaps there was a message sent when the Packers lowered their $ to $8M, but then there was yet another injury filled season gone by. And so the Vikings ponied up more, but still didn't beat the Packers' original offer. So, Jennings gambled on himself a little bit and lost. It just makes it that much harder to overlook his reaction to his incorrect assessment of himself by bad mouthing Rodgers and the organization. Especially when he trotted out the old "they didn't want me around anymore" card. The Packers wanted you around - at the correct price.

It was the players, in general, who wanted greater freedom and to inject greater market pricing into the process. And so they got it. And when the market tells you you are worth X, and your original team didn't hand you X+$4,000,000, it has nothing to do with "not wanting you around anymore" and it has everything to do with your over estimation of yourself. These players need to grasp that you can't have it both ways. If you force the management to count every dime and be perfectly sound with their "capital budgeting" it's going to get pretty cut and dried about their valuation process of players. Feelings aren't a part of it. And then to get hurt feelings, and then run your mouth, just isn't part of the program. You are what the market says you are until you prove otherwise. Teams aren't going to hand you an extra $4M on sparkling personality, minty breath, and what you think of your smellf.

Jennings had about 3, maybe 4, years left in the tank. He could have made $30M+ on one of the best teams in the league, but now he's going to make $30- on one of the worst. It's his ego that got him here. All the mouth running and back pedaling doesn't change the reality.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Dont forgot..

Jennings turned down that 10 mill per year from the Pack during training camp..He then got INJURED and the Pack lowered to 8 mill..

He screwed himself..Could have had the 10 mill, still been injured and wold still be loved by a HUGE fan base

OP
OP
PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont forgot..

Jennings turned down that 10 mill per year from the Pack during training camp..He then got INJURED and the Pack lowered to 8 mill..

He screwed himself..Could have had the 10 mill, still been injured and wold still be loved by a HUGE fan base

He pretty much lost me for good when he was injured last year and then blabbered away about putting his house up for sale before the season was over. He was very discretely trying to bully and strong-arm Thompson and uh ... we all know what happens to those players. Up, over and out. Good riddance. Either you're one of us or you're not. He chose to put gloves on, Thompson strapped his boots on - yet another primadonna landed on the curb with a one-way ticket out of town. This was Cullen Jenkins Part II. Thompson has no tolerance for this crap and I'll side with him on it every time.

H

HardRightEdge

Jennings: 3 targets, 1 catch, 9 yds.

Myles White: 7 targets, 5 catches, 35 yds.

This not to say White is in any way a superior receiver; it is an illustration of the value of the QB to the WR, a fact Jennings was blinded to by the $. He and Ponder were not on the same page..."not in the same chapter" might be a better characterization. On the ticky-tack interference call on Williams he was struggling to locate the ball. Early on there was a pas with Jennings going one way and the ball the other, with a Jennings head nod indicating "that's on me", even if it wasn't.

A couple of comments on White. He was used mostly as an outlet. One play called specifically for him was the screen he dropped in space, which drew a little Rodgers' barking. Not a good look for the young man. However, I liked the way he snapped back from that. He was calling for the ball as an outlet on a 3rd. and long...Rodgers noted him, looked down field, and then came back to him. We got a glimpse of his speed when he turned that short out up the sidelines for 15 yds. On the under thrown come-backer in the end zone, I wasn't sure if Rodgers' show of disgust was with himself for an under throw or with White for being late.

White does have a lot of eager puppy dog in his game, still playing the college boy game, but you have to like the enthusiasm and the speed. He's raw and undisciplined, but I like the energy. Whether he'll end up being any good remains to be seen, but you can't help but like the abundantly evident love of the game. Speed and the love...2 things you cannot teach.

OP
OP
PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else sort of cringe at the way-too-long "hug/apology" at the end? You could clearly see Aaron was ready to move on and Greg wouldn't let go... awkward.

I totally saw that. I really don't think Aaron gives two hoots about what Greg's current problems are. Had I been Aaron, I would have been in a bigger hurry to get back to the locker room and congratulate Boykin, White, and Quarless for having good weeks of practice and coming through when he needed them to, being thrown into the fire.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Anyone else sort of cringe at the way-too-long "hug/apology" at the end? You could clearly see Aaron was ready to move on and Greg wouldn't let go... awkward.

LOL.... yeah I said something about that to my wife. She said it was similar to the "to long of a handshake now Im uncomfortable" goodbye/Hello.

Think it finally sank in after this game that he made his own bed, now he has to lay in it.....and it's one sh!tty bed.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
I still don't get the hate here that some have for former Packers. Its a business. One that last less then 4 years for players, on average. We've had former great players that left because the team has moved on and they wanted to play longer. We've had WRs that have left because they felt that the market had better offers for their services. At some point, EVERY player leaves the field. I remember what they did on the field, while here. Everything else belongs in the periodicals in the grocery store check out line.

Reaction score
I still don't get the hate here that some have for former Packers. Its a business. One that last less then 4 years for players, on average. We've had former great players that left because the team has moved on and they wanted to play longer. We've had WRs that have left because they felt that the market had better offers for their services. At some point, EVERY player leaves the field. I remember what they did on the field, while here. Everything else belongs in the periodicals in the grocery store check out line.
Bus, I don't think it's HATE so much as a lot of fans feel the Packers were disrespected by Jennings. The Packers made a realistic offer to Jennings and he turned his nose up at it, and ultimately has been talking trash about the Packers players and organization. What do you think the fans are going to say? "Sorry it's not turning out the way you had hoped Greg".?? I don't think it's hate, I think it's more of a "told you so". Just my .02

OP
OP
PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fair enough. But ... it's not that they leave town, it's the WAY that they leave town.

Mike Holmgren - No goodbye press conference, no thanking Wolf for giving him his first HC job, no thanking the town for naming a street after him, etc. Before all of that, his permanent ego got so huge after XXXI, that he arrogantly and smugly thought he had XXXII in the bag before the game was played - one of the worst Super Bowl preparation jobs by any coaching staff, ever. Perhaps game-planning for Terrell Davis would have been wise? Get lost and get out.

Brett Favre - No need to re-hash it all. Get lost and get out. Don't come back until WE tell you to come back, you're out.

Cullen Jenkins - Announced before the '10 playoffs that his house was up for sale, tried to start an epic fail war with Ted Thompson by showing him who was boss. Talk about King Midas in Reverse. Get lost and get out.

Greg Jennings - (see Cullen Jenkins above). Exact same load of crap. Get lost and get out.

How many people here miss any of the aforementioned misguided fools listed above? Case closed.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Only the ones that talk **** and back stab....if you still don't get it, then we understand. i mean, just look at your profile name.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
Only the ones that talk **** and back stab....if you still don't get it, then we understand. i mean, just look at your profile name.
Its a business. Its a lot more mean than you'd think. Management, agents, players, family, support groups, advisers, sponsors all talk ****. If you can't handle that, the NFL, or really any business, is a bad place to be.

PackCrazed4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chicago Native on loan to Tallahassee, FL

Right, exactly, it's Business, it's not personal, so then why has Greg Jennings taken it upon himself to turn this business move into his own personal public vendetta against the Packers and Aaron Rodgers? The minute Jennings decided to be bitter at our organization was the minute Packer fans had the right to discredit him as a former Packer.

Charles Woodson was an asset to our team for years, yet his large salary wasn't sustainable under the cap, so he was let go. Have you heard him making visits to local Oakland radio shows to mouth off about his former employer? Absolutely not, because Charles actually understands the business side of this sport. For all we know, he may have some resentment for the situation, but he doesn't air those grievances publicly, and I appreciate and have the utmost respect for him in every regard.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Its a business. Its a lot more mean than you'd think. Management, agents, players, family, support groups, advisers, sponsors all talk ****. If you can't handle that, the NFL, or really any business, is a bad place to be.
Bovine Scatology and again you’re making statements about which you have no idea. When was the last time you sat in on a negotiation between agent and team or agent and sponsor?

Yes it’s a business and because that’s the case I have no problem with Jennings turning down the Packers offers and ultimately signing with another team, even the Vikings. If he made a mistake money-wise or team-wise that’s on him. Like many others, my problem is with him running his mouth and disrespecting the Packers organization, fans, and Rodgers. And that’s bad business. It would have been good business for Jennings, upon his departure, to have praised the Packers organization, teammates and fans. And even wished them luck except when the played the purple. After arriving in Minnesota when asked about the Packers he should have either repeated the praise or said something like ‘that’s all in the past, I’m a Viking now’. That’s good business. Because at some point he’ll retire and having most of Packers fandom have fond memories of him translates into marketable opportunities. Instead he immaturely let his hurt feelings make him look petty.

Bus Cook

Reaction score
I guess my difference is simply pragmatic. When they leave, they're gone. Whatever they do, good or bad, doesn't effect what they did on the field here. And since I could really give two Thompsons about what happens off the field or in some other city, it doesn't bother me in the least. I do have feminine moments that are better satiated by the View or Ellen.

OP
OP
PackerFlatLander

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, count me as one guy missing Cullen Jenkins for the past two seasons. I sort of forgot about him with this year's DL

Well, yes - we needed a good DL in 2011 and 2012. But he really hasn't done diddly squat since leaving. Therefore, Ted not making him a priority, ended up being justified, if you look at it from that perspective..

Reaction score
I guess my difference is simply pragmatic. When they leave, they're gone. Whatever they do, good or bad, doesn't effect what they did on the field here. And since I could really give two Thompsons about what happens off the field or in some other city, it doesn't bother me in the least. I do have feminine moments that are better satiated by the View or Ellen.
I'm curious to hear who TT needs trade for, in order for you to be satisfied with the wide receivers. Just curious what it will take for you to stop whining. I am guessing that you would find something else to be unhappy about. What if the Packers were 7 & 0 right now, instead of 5 &2 What could possibly have to whine about. It was a great game last night by the way! Nelson, Boykin, White, Lacy, Starks & Rogers! The game wasn't anywhere near as the score would indicate. Go Pack!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts