Green Bay Packers Free Agents thread

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Wow! I hope Barnett steps it up and brings his A game (optimistically anticipating a 2011 regular season).

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Packers cut A.J. Hawk

We didn’t expect Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk to see the $10.5 million he’d be guaranteed on the first day of the league year, and now it’s official that he won’t. Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Packers have released Hawk. However, that doesn’t mean Hawk is gone for good. According to Schefter, there are…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

bornnraisedwhodat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys, Saints fan here...just lurkin.

What are you all's thoughts on Hawk. We were really high on him coming out of college. When there were trade talks earlier in the season I was telling people we should make a play for him, then all the injuries hit you guys and it seemed like Hawk stepped it up. But I guess it was one of those things where numbers do not equal the production. Similar to our situation with R.Bush.

How do you think Hawk would perform as a SAM linebacker in a 4-3? How was he when you guys ran a 4-3 a few years ago?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he'll be back with a new deal. Just couldn't have gotten it done by noon tomorrow when the CBA expires. If he was on the roster when that happened, he'd have been guaranteed $10.5M. Packers wouldn't pay that. No one would. He's a good player who knows the system. I think he'll eventually re-sign. He's a CBA related casualty, like so many guys in the league this past week or so.

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The tweets keep pouring in. This one from the Packers official account:

Well Martin and Lee are gone for sure. Just from his statement. It is clear he isn't saying Hawk is gone gone yet. He wants to work on a deal and said it explicitly. Hopefully Hawk can get a fair deal for him as well and stays. I don't think he is mad because it was pretty clear this was coming Super Bowl or not.

OP
OP
Jess

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Sorry that the name of this thread keeps changing. :icon_lol:

The situation keeps changing and I have to keep clarifying in the title.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Busy off season for Gb. First the shift of Rb coach to WR coach and now all of this. We'll see how this all pans out.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dang. Going to have to get a Matthews jersey now to stay relevant. Hopefully they can resign him.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi guys, Saints fan here...just lurkin.

What are you all's thoughts on Hawk. We were really high on him coming out of college. When there were trade talks earlier in the season I was telling people we should make a play for him, then all the injuries hit you guys and it seemed like Hawk stepped it up. But I guess it was one of those things where numbers do not equal the production. Similar to our situation with R.Bush.

How do you think Hawk would perform as a SAM linebacker in a 4-3? How was he when you guys ran a 4-3 a few years ago?
I didn't like him when he played LB in the 4-3. He can't cover RBs and TEs man-to-man.

His greatest asset to us is that he's assignment sure, and has great command of our scheme.

I only see him drawing interest of 3-4 teams that need a playcaller and tend to play zone. He's not a great blitzer, he's not a great thumper, and he isn't very athletic.

But, as I said, he's incredibly bright, he commands the defense very well, and he's ok to good at everything.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if AJ isn't back in Green Bay next year. It sucks though that they didn't manage to get this done faster - it isn't as though this issue coming to a head wasn't abundantly obvious a long time ago. But, like the CBA, for whatever reason, nothing gets done until the 11th hour.

I think AJ likes playing for the Pack and being in GB. I think the Pack wants him back. Get it done guys.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's hoping a deal can be reached and A J gets back in green and yellow. Dang.

rawalabhay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted is smart enough to get a deal done with him! We probably hear something before CBA ends tomorrow. I am guessing there will be a lot of activity from all the teams before end of CBA.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Packers and Hawk will continue to talk over next day

It’s not a surprise that Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk got released Wednesday considering the huge bonus on his contract.* It also wouldn’t be a surprise if Hawk returned to the team. Heck, it’s even possible Hawk could return to the team by the end of Thursday. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports Hawk and…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts