With just signing two defensive free agents, the Packers still lack depth on defense

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Dix, Perry and Ryan all improved last year. I think the ugly barrage of injuries sidetracked the defense last year. Just my opinion.
Agree, injuries did play a big roll last year. But it also exposed us as well. We saw how many couldn't step up, and how few could. This exposed the draft and develop philosophy. You have to be near perfect for it to work. But when you draft poorly and refuse to invest in upper FA talent that you missed in the draft, you simply think your smarter than anyone else, when you've shown that you aren't.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every team has a weakness. Our team, unfortunately, has many. Some self inflicted, some outside anyone's control. Shields is beyond anyone's control. Lang was not.

I see too many needs to be filled by the draft alone. We filled one, TE, unusually well. But we created another hole by failing to sign either of our own FA OLs. Not sure our FA signing there is even backup quality or not.

We got way thin at OLB and are still thin at ILB. RB got thinner and we are about the same at the awful CB position.

QB, S, TE and WR may be our only strong points and our DL seems to be suitable, if not spectacular. I see us adding pretty much depth only in this draft. Won't take RB in first round so I don't expect much but a project there this year. Any CB we get will be a project as well and I just don't see anyone we can draft who will be a starter on day one unless it is a top OG. That means ANY upgrade this year is in depth only and any real impact is at least a year or two away. Same old, same old.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree 100%. See Randall & Rollins. While their seasons were interrupted by injuries, they did not show improvement from year 1 to year 2 when they did play.
Remember this game? http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ider-thumbs-up-randall-down-rollins/90194682/
THUMBS UP
Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles picked on just about everybody in the Packers secondary, but one guy he could not crack was Randall. The second-year starter was a rock in an otherwise shaky backfield. He didn’t give up a significant completion, broke up two passes, prevented a long kickoff return, nearly intercepted a pass along the sideline, saved a touchdown on tight end Marcedes Lewis’ 37-yard screen play and made the initial tackle on receiver Allen Hurns on the fourth-down stop that clinched the game for the Packers. He was probably the best defensive player on the field.
Of course, he read this and his season went to **** afterwards.
But there are glimmers that he can play.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup. It is possible that a couple of guys could regress for any number of reasons. The general trend from the past has been that our young guys game improve with time. I'm specifically curious to see how guys like Martinez, Clark, Price and Brice do this year.

As mentioned before I think the number of players progressing and regressing during their second or third season in the league have been pretty even with the Packers over the past few years.

Prior to his injury. We'll see if he can stay healthy this year.

Randall was also torched by Stefon Diggs for 182 yards and a touchdown in week 2 while still being healthy.

Remember this game???

Green Bay came in paper-thin at cornerback without top cover man Sam Shields (concussion) and rookie Josh Hawkins (hamstring). That put the pressure on cornerbacks Damarious Randall, Quinten Rollins and LaDarius Gunter, and Randall got torched all night by Diggs (nine catches for 182 yards and a TD). Making matters worse for Randall, he was flagged for pass interference on Diggs on the key third-down play that enabled the Vikings to keep their final drive alive and run out the clock.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
As mentioned before I think the number of players progressing and regressing during their second or third season in the league have been pretty even with the Packers over the past few years.

Randall was also torched by Stefon Diggs for 182 yards and a touchdown in week 2 while still being healthy.

Remember this game???
Yes I do. It was his first game covering a teams #1 receiver.

I think your wrong about the progression and regression rate. I think it's decidedly tilted towards progression. I think generally speaking, the guys drafted and signed improve their skills as time goes on. The guys at most positions seemed to be fairly well coached by their position coaches.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think your wrong about the progression and regression rate. I think it's decidedly tilted towards progression. I think generally speaking, the guys drafted and signed improve their skills as time goes on. The guys at most positions seemed to be fairly well coached by their position coaches.

Let's take a look at the Packers draft picks since the new CBA and rules for offseason practices were introduced six years ago.

Here's a list of players I believe significantly progressed during their rookie deals:

2011: Cobb, House and Guy (although with another team)

2012: Perry, Hayward, Daniels

2013: Bakhtiari, Tretter, Hyde and Johnson (with another team)

2014: Clinton-Dix, Adams, Linsley

2015: Montgomery, Ryan, Ripkowski

That's a total of 16 players out of 46 picks, for a rate of 34.8%. Even by removing Sherrod and Franklin from the list it seems it is decidedly tilted towards regression.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's take a look at the Packers draft picks since the new CBA and rules for offseason practices were introduced six years ago.

Here's a list of players I believe significantly progressed during their rookie deals:

That's a total of 16 players out of 46 picks, for a rate of 34.8%. Even by removing Sherrod and Franklin from the list it seems it is decidedly tilted towards regression.
6 of those guys left the team, that means less than 25% are even relevant. You can't build a team that way. There simply isn't enough talent.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

So it's either black or white, eh? Significant improvement or total regression. Got it. That's your world. I see progression/regression spectrum as much wider and more varying. Your view on this perfectly explains the tones of your posts.

D

Deleted member 6794

So it's either black or white, eh? Significant improvement or total regression. Got it. That's your world. I see progression/regression spectrum as much wider and more varying. Your view on this perfectly explains the tones of your posts.

Geez, why is it impossible for you to admit you were wrong about something??? You were the one claiming that it is heavily tilted toward progression which it seems isn't true at all.

Yet the only thing you have to post about it is attacking the one that pointed out you erred on it. Way to go, Pike!!!

BTW it doesn't actually matter if Randall or Rollins regress or perform at the same level as last season. If they don't significantly improve we're ******.

As a side note I don't expect any meaningful answer by you about it, possibly discussing the subject but just the same old BS discrediting my posts because I don't agree with every single move Thompson makes.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Geez, why is it impossible for you to admit you were wrong about something??? You were the one claiming that it is heavily tilted toward progression which it seems isn't true at all.

Yet the only thing you have to post about it is attacking the one that pointed out you erred on it. Way to go, Pike!!!

BTW it doesn't actually matter if Randall or Rollins regress or perform at the same level as last season. If they don't significantly improve we're ******.

As a side note I don't expect any meaningful answer by you about it, possibly discussing the subject but just the same old BS discrediting my posts because I don't agree with every single move Thompson makes.
Has nothing to do with Thompson moves. It's about player progression and improvement. Players that stick on the Packers roster tend to improve, otherwise they are replaced. I think Thompson let many of the 7FA's go because he felt their upside potential didn't match what other teams were offering them and he could easily replace them. Look at all the starters on the team. Are they significantly better players now than they were their 1st or 2nd season? If they aren't, Thompson is probably trying to draft someone to improve that situation. Janis probably hasn't shown enough growth that if Trevor Davis makes a jump during camp, Janis is likely to get cut. It's pretty much grow or go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Has nothing to do with Thompson moves. It's about player progression and improvement. Players that stick on the Packers roster tend to improve, otherwise they are replaced. I think Thompson let many of the 7FA's go because he felt their upside potential didn't match what other teams were offering them and he could easily replace them. Look at all the starters on the team. Are they significantly better players now than they were their 1st or 2nd season? If they aren't, Thompson is probably trying to draft someone to improve that situation. Janis probably hasn't shown enough growth that if Trevor Davis makes a jump during camp, Janis is likely to get cut. It's pretty much grow or go.

The starters have mostly improved over the first or second season with the team although there are several exceptions to it as well in Matthews, Randall and Rollins. Unfortunately the Packers need decent backups as well and most of them haven't progressed as expected.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The starters have mostly improved over the first or second season with the team although there are several exceptions to it as well in Matthews, Randall and Rollins. Unfortunately the Packers need decent backups as well and most of them haven't progressed as expected.

This is very true. You need depth in the NFL because of injuries. Especially GB as of late. Green Bays depth was exposed last year with all the injuries.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is very true. You need depth in the NFL because of injuries. Especially GB as of late. Green Bays depth was exposed last year with all the injuries.

Not only injuries. Lots of playing time for a lot of guys in different packages.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It begins with- and is all on- Thompson; every guy on this roster is there because of him.
So Thompson just let guys go because he didn't think they had any upside and weren't worth it. Then why did he draft them?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It begins with- and is all on- Thompson; every guy on this roster is there because of him.
So Thompson just let guys go because he didn't think they had any upside and weren't worth it. Then why did he draft them?
My guess is that everyone drafted is seen as someone who can help the team. He most certainly doesn't think that some of them are worth what other teams are offering them in their second or third contracts. People aren't happy when he re-signs players because he pays them too much. The same people aren't happy when he refuses to pay as much as some other team is willing to. The same people are always whining because they despise everything about Thompson. So it shall be.

D

Deleted member 6794

People aren't happy when he re-signs players because he pays them too much. The same people aren't happy when he refuses to pay as much as some other team is willing to. The same people are always whining because they despise everything about Thompson. So it shall be.

This is just a stupid rant by posters who agree with every single transaction made by Thompson. There are several members on this forum capable of objectively evaluating the team's moves.

As an example, TT did a good job this offseason by re-signing Perry as well as adding Bennett, Kendricks and Jean Francois. Unfortunately he didn't address the roster's biggest weakness at cornerback and some positions were weakened in free agency.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
This is just a stupid rant by posters who agree with every single transaction made by Thompson. There are several members on this forum capable of objectively evaluating the team's moves.

As an example, TT did a good job this offseason by re-signing Perry as well as adding Bennett, Kendricks and Jean Francois. Unfortunately he didn't address the roster's biggest weakness at cornerback and some positions were weakened in free agency.
Wasn't a rant at all. For the record, once again, I don't agree with every single transaction Thompson makes. I recognize that I'm not privy to complete information that he and his staff have available to them. It is why I temper my words towards moves made by them and stay away from using absolutist language. That doesn't make me a Thompson sycophant.

You choose to use words like guarantee, no doubt, for sure, etc... and now it's BS, stupid rant. I'd prefer to not get into a pissing contest with you but your antagonistic language is making it difficult.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that everyone drafted is seen as someone who can help the team. He most certainly doesn't think that some of them are worth what other teams are offering them in their second or third contracts. People aren't happy when he re-signs players because he pays them too much. The same people aren't happy when he refuses to pay as much as some other team is willing to. The same people are always whining because they despise everything about Thompson. So it shall be.

********. The same people are always rushing to their beloved TT's defense every time someone speaks in other than reverent tones about him. They can't come up with good counterpoints, or even admit their hero isn't perfect, so anyone who speaks against the Great Oz is a hater who despises *sniff* everything *sniff* about him *sniff sniff*.
Call an effin' whambulance already.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a nice monologue but doesn't at all refute the premise that Thompson is rather roundly despised and vilified here by many. It's not just a couple of outliers.
What hate? People are just frustrated with TT for not addressing team needs via free agency. Aaron Rodgers isn't getting any younger.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm critical of myself, friends, family etc,......doesn't mean I hate or despise myself or others. I for one have been critical of Ted with a few things that he has done or hasn't done, but that doesn't mean I hate Ted or am not thankful for what he HAS done. I think there might be a few people on each end of the spectrum of Ted Lovers and Ted Haters, but for the most part, I see the majority of people somewhere in the middle.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
What hate? People are just frustrated with TT for not addressing team needs via free agency. Aaron Rodgers isn't getting any younger.
We don't hate here. We despise.

Members online

Latest posts