Packers mock free agency/draft

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers didn't win three games last season in large part because Crosby either missed five kicks or one at the end of regulation.

You should also look at what he did last year as well. Packers may have lost the following games had it not been for Crosby:

• Bear Game: 24-23 3/3 on XP's and 1-1 FG's (42 yd kick)
  • Vikes Game: 29-29 2/2 on XP's and 5/6 FG's (37,40,31,48,36) Missed:52
  • 49ers: 33-30 3/3 XP's 4/4 FG's (29,39,51,27)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers didn't win three games last season in large part because Crosby either missed five kicks or one at the end of regulation.

The Dallas game in the playoffs was most likely the best of his career. Unfortunately a lot of fans think he's an elite kicker solely based on that one.
most fans thought he was a good kicker long before that.

and Crosby has missed kicks in his career like the rest of them. and i'm not claiming he's elite.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You should also look at what he did last year as well. Packers may have lost the following games had it not been for Crosby:

exactly, you take the good you take the bad, you take them both and there you have...

D

Deleted member 6794

True, there's absolutely no way an undrafted rookie could have made any of those tough kicks :rolleyes:

most fans thought he was a good kicker long before that.

Correct, all of them were wrong about it though.

and Crosby has missed kicks in his career like the rest of them.

Unfortunately Crosby has missed kicks at a higher percentage in his career than most other kickers in the league.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes I know, i've seen your stats and i've also seen his season average go from 90 to below 80 on a couple botched snaps and block. I know what Crosby has been.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
True, there's absolutely no way an undrafted rookie could have made any of those tough kicks :rolleyes:

Seems the Vikings 5th round rookie Carlson missed 3 kicks in one of those games, but we won't talk about that. ;)

Not sure why you think an UDFA is going to make every one of those kicks? I understand your disdain for Crosby, but you seem to want to make it sound like a Monkey could do his job better.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if it's just about saving 1-2 million and getting the same production sure. But that's not the only possibility. Maybe we get double doink and miss the playoffs. Maybe he misses the kick in dallas. Maybe we're scrambling and go thru 4 kickers in one year after dropping 3 games because of kickers. I'd gladly take 2 million in savings for the same production.

and I don't pay attention to kicker stats much. I don't pay much attention to anybody's stats :) They're interesting, but i'd rather watch games. and i've seen a lot of kickers on a lot of teams. Some better, and some much worse. whatever the stats say, there haven't been that many times where Crosby left me feeling like he wasn't doing his job. 1 season and 1 game is about it. For the rest of his career he seems to have made most kicks I though he should have made and when a a couple bad snaps can drop a kicker from an absolute "elite" percentage of 90% to below 80 you should be able to understand why I don't think stats tell the whole picture.

Yeah and maybe Crosby misses those kicks too, you guys are talking about him as if he's a legendary kicker. He's not the guy is as has been illustrated, at best an average NFL kicker.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes I know, i've seen your stats and i've also seen his season average go from 90 to below 80 on a couple botched snaps and block. I know what Crosby has been.

Crosby has never shot 90% on field goals. The closest he came was 89.2 and then 86.7.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yeah and maybe Crosby misses those kicks too, you guys are talking about him as if he's a legendary kicker. He's not the guy is as has been illustrated, at best an average NFL kicker.

I for one have never labeled him or illustrated him as "legendary", although when his career with the Packers is done, he will probably be remembered as the second best kicker in Packer history behind Longwell. What I would label him is a guy who has been steady enough, that the Packers have kept him for 12 straight years. Is it now time for him to go? I guess we will see.

On the opposite side of this discussion, it's frustrating to see some people thinking replacing him is just a matter of putting a Packer jersey on any kicker and none of what Crosby has done couldn't have been done by a minimum wage UDFA rookie.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby has never shot 90% on field goals. The closest he came was 89.2 and then 86.7.
I know he hasn't, I said 2 missed snaps and a block took him from what would have been to under 80. I think it was just 2 years ago because he had so few kicks. It's kind of my point. the stats don't tell the entire story. It was somehting like 3 or 4 kicks that year that brought is average down to below 80 and it wasn't even due to the kicker. Take those out and he's pretty much 90%.

Like I said, it's time to look for his replacement and i've never said he was a legendary kicker. I've stated what I think he is 4 or 5 times at least in this thread alone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We need something to happen so this discussion goes away.

It will always haunt you....close your eyes! :cool:

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I Googled "Top NFL kickers of all time".

Most of the lists included the following guys and their career % is next to their name. Good thing the Hall of Fame doesn't take made % as its only criteria for induction or the first 4 guys and only kickers in the HOF, might not be in.
  1. Lou Groza: 54.9%
  2. Morten Andersen: 79.6%
  3. George Blanda: 52.4%
  4. Jan Stenerud: 66.8%
  5. Gary Anderson: 80.1%
  6. Jason Hanson: 82.4%
  7. Jason Elam: 80.7%
  8. Eddie Murray: 75.5%
I did not list any current active kickers, since their careers are still going. I also recognize that some of these guys were kicking during a much different era.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie announces he is unretiring. Will be interesting to see how much attention he gets. He garnered little interest in free agency last offseason before landing in Oakland on a one-year deal, so I don't expect it to be much.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Garcon isn't getting picked up for last year in SF. Plague by injuries last few years, other than that he has always seemingly been pretty reliable with a lot of volume tossed his way. If the price is right coming off two hurt years, maybe an incentive based contract, I like his game and could be a good veteran presence.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Garcon isn't getting picked up for last year in SF. Plague by injuries last few years, other than that he has always seemingly been pretty reliable with a lot of volume tossed his way. If the price is right coming off two hurt years, maybe an incentive based contract, I like his game and could be a good veteran presence.
Sounds like an older version of Randall Cobb? Think I would pass. As much as I like Cobb when he is healthy, I am ready to move on from these often injured players. Sure, when healthy, they can provide you with some good starts, but when not healthy, they take up a roster space and then you are forced to play younger guys who haven't had enough reps to be fully ready.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if it's just about saving 1-2 million and getting the same production sure. But that's not the only possibility. Maybe we get double doink and miss the playoffs. Maybe he misses the kick in dallas. Maybe we're scrambling and go thru 4 kickers in one year after dropping 3 games because of kickers. I'd gladly take 2 million in savings for the same production.

and I don't pay attention to kicker stats much. I don't pay much attention to anybody's stats :) They're interesting, but i'd rather watch games. and i've seen a lot of kickers on a lot of teams. Some better, and some much worse. whatever the stats say, there haven't been that many times where Crosby left me feeling like he wasn't doing his job. 1 season and 1 game is about it. For the rest of his career he seems to have made most kicks I though he should have made and when a a couple bad snaps can drop a kicker from an absolute "elite" percentage of 90% to below 80 you should be able to understand why I don't think stats tell the whole picture.

The few time I ever felt like Crosby was going to miss wasn't because it was Mason Crosby but just that I didn't think things were going the Packers way that day. I see the stats the Captain has posted and I understand his side but I don't think I have ever felt like "oh **** here comes Crosby, I wonder if he will make this one." Granted in the end success is more important than the way I feel about it but my enjoyment of the game as it unfolds will be a lot less if I am going to be a lot more apprehensive every time the new guy trots out onto the field and I certainly will be until he proves himself.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that and wouldn't surprise me if they bring in an UDFA either. For the Packers sake, I hope they end up with another Pankey. Who knows, Mason Crosby could be kicking for them next season. ;)

That would make at least one person here happy. He sucks don't ya know.

Sorry Captain, I know you never said he sucks (at least I don't think you did) but I couldn't resist and given your feelings toward him I think it really would make you happy.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You haven't completely changed my opinion but you've got me thinking about it.

The top kicker in accuracy on this list is Suisham at 92.2% If Crosby had made 92.2% of his kicks over the 4 years this list covers he would have made a total of 118 kicks. He made 110 I don't think 2 extra FGs a year is a hugely significant number.

exactly, you take the good you take the bad, you take them both and there you have...

I had a huge crush on Lisa Whelchel and she's still pretty hot.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not sure why you think an UDFA is going to make every one of those kicks? I understand your disdain for Crosby, but you seem to want to make it sound like a Monkey could do his job better.

I don't have a disdain for Crosby but unlike others am capable of taking an objective look at his performance. A monkey wouldn't be able to do his job but there are at least some rookies who will go undrafted this season who could.

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I Googled "Top NFL kickers of all time".

Most of the lists included the following guys and their career % is next to their name. Good thing the Hall of Fame doesn't take made % as its only criteria for induction or the first 4 guys and only kickers in the HOF, might not be in.
  1. Lou Groza: 54.9%
  2. Morten Andersen: 79.6%
  3. George Blanda: 52.4%
  4. Jan Stenerud: 66.8%
  5. Gary Anderson: 80.1%
  6. Jason Hanson: 82.4%
  7. Jason Elam: 80.7%
  8. Eddie Murray: 75.5%
I did not list any current active kickers, since their careers are still going. I also recognize that some of these guys were kicking during a much different era.

That list doesn't have any relevance when talking about Crosby as all of them kicked in a much different era with Groza and Blanda not making the Hall of Fame because of their performance at the position.

BTW Jan Stenerud had a higher percentage of field goals made (80.8%) with the Packers from 1980-83 than Crosby's current career average (80.4%).

That would make at least one person here happy. He sucks don't ya know.

Sorry Captain, I know you never said he sucks (at least I don't think you did) but I couldn't resist and given your feelings toward him I think it really would make you happy.

Don't get me wrong, I like Crosby and believe he's a great person. Unfortunately he's not an above average kicker though.

The top kicker in accuracy on this list is Suisham at 92.2% If Crosby had made 92.2% of his kicks over the 4 years this list covers he would have made a total of 118 kicks. He made 110 I don't think 2 extra FGs a year is a hugely significant number.

Unfortunately Crosby didn't make those kicks though.

Reaction score
While this is not my top priority. I’d like to see us get another play threat underneath at RB. We could use someone to push Jamaal. Id like 1 more RB in the mix that has the propensity to excel in the passing game on those short throws.
We need to work more on plays that encompass underneath options, for times when opponents are over-pursuing our QB (which is essentially 99%) The way you keep teams honest is by being masterfully prepared to lure them into committing to getting to Aaron and having 2-3 express personnel options that are all well prepared to get the ball thrown to them expeditiously. Play designs that vary routes in multiple directions.

A lane to a RB, one lane to a TE and one to the Slot receiver depending on the open angle etc.. we spend far too much effort trying to block ourselves into a hole and going for the mid-long ball (especially on 3rd n short) and not nearly enough plays of redirecting traffic away from our QB. Move the chains and keep opposing Offenses cool on the sidelines.

That takes proper personnel. We need Hock, Parris and Singleterry ;)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

The way you keep teams honest is by being masterfully prepared to lure them into committing to getting to Aaron and having 2-3 express personnel options that are all well prepared to get the ball thrown to them expeditiously.

I don't disagree but it might be tough for LaFleur to get Rodgers buying into it though.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts