With just signing two defensive free agents, the Packers still lack depth on defense

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
21 mil in cap left to spend. I suspect we have another splash signing. Either Peterson or Revis imo.
Then a rookie class full. And to finish, some filler FAs

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT gives this putrid defense to Capers along with a couple of rookies and unfa, he should be fired for incompetence. He will again have sabotaged the season. We all know by now that Rodgers can drag the team to the playoffs but TT's defenses either get blown out or can't hold a lead in crunch time. It's not 2010 anymore. Pathetic defense is the hallmark of the franchise given that they have set the record for the longest stretch of futile playoff appearances without getting to the SB.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we need a separate sub forum to put all the 'I hate TT' variant threads.

I don't believe there are any Thompson haters around the forum but a lot of frenetic fans of the Packers wanting the team to win at least another Super Bowl as long as Rodgers is the starting quarterback. Unfortunately it seems that a different approach, especially on defense, would improve those chances.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
21 mil in cap left to spend. I suspect we have another splash signing. Either Peterson or Revis imo.
Then a rookie class full. And to finish, some filler FAs

Green Bay also still needs one or two interior Offensive lineman (probably two), and another running back wouldn't hurt. On the defensive side they need a pass-rusher, another cornerback, a middle linebacker who can cover in space, and another big body for the line. That's a lot of holes to fill, and we haven't had our first significant injury setback yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

On the defensive side they need a pass-rusher, another cornerback, a middle linebacker who can cover in space, and another big body for the line.

Unfortunately the Packers don't need just another cornerback but one capable of moving to the top spot on the depth chart at the position.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Packers don't need just another cornerback but one capable of moving to the top spot on the depth chart at the position.

That would be nice, but those are hard to come by.

There's a rumor that the Rams might be willing to part with Trumaine Johnson for the right price. I don't know what that price would be, but he might be a nice upgrade to the position. He had the franchise tag on him this year, so he wouldn't be cheap.

D

Deleted member 6794

That would be nice, but those are hard to come by.

It's absolutely necessary for the Packers to add a shutdown cornerback. While I agree it's tough to acquire one it's even more difficult while having an extremely risk-averse general manager.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a lot of holes to fill, and we haven't had our first significant injury setback yet.
About time for the injury bug to roll on to the safety and QB spots again. Maybe Ted should get ahead of it for once and maybe sign Cutler and Byrd to be available when it gets there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't believe there are any Thompson haters around the forum but a lot of frenetic fans of the Packers wanting the team to win at least another Super Bowl as long as Rodgers is the starting quarterback. Unfortunately it seems that a different approach, especially on defense, would improve those chances.
Really??? I think there are quite a few Thompson haters hanging out here. I think he easily surpasses the Hawk, Bush, Jones, Bostick, Kuhn et al. hater clubs in membership.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's absolutely necessary for the Packers to add a shutdown cornerback. While I agree it's tough to acquire one it's even more difficult while having an extremely risk-averse general manager.

A true shut-down corner - How many of those are there? Three? Four?

Sam Shields certainly wasn't one, neither was Tramon. Al Harris was pretty good, but not a shut-down corner. Woodson was in his prime.....before that, we might be going back to Herb Adderly. Willie Buchanon maybe.

Probably no going to happen

D

Deleted member 6794

Really??? I think there are quite a few Thompson haters hanging out here. I think he easily surpasses the Hawk, Bush, Jones, Bostick, Kuhn et al. hater clubs in membership.

Most of the posters around here are Packers fans solely interested in the team's success, sharing the same goal of the team winning another Super Bowl.

Whether you love, like, don't mind about or hate Thompson doesn't matter at all. A general manager should build a roster that provides the team with the best chance of succeeding in the short term as well as properly manage the cap in a way not to jeopardize the future.

While TT has definitely done the latter it's mind-boggling that anyone would suggest he has taken enough risks to assure current success as well.

A true shut-down corner - How many of those are there? Three? Four?

Sam Shields certainly wasn't one, neither was Tramon. Al Harris was pretty good, but not a shut-down corner. Woodson was in his prime.....before that, we might be going back to Herb Adderly. Willie Buchanon maybe.

Probably no going to happen

You're putting too much emphasis on the term I used. The Packers desperately need a cornerback capable of covering opposing top receivers and Thompson hasn't provided one since Shields went down for good.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of the posters around here are Packers fans solely interested in the team's success, sharing the same goal of the team winning another Super Bowl.

Whether you love, like, don't mind about or hate Thompson doesn't matter at all. A general manager should build a roster that provides the team with the best chance of succeeding in the short term as well as properly manage the cap in a way not to jeopardize the future.

While TT has definitely done the latter it's mind-boggling that anyone would suggest he has taken enough risks to assure current success as well.

You're putting too much emphasis on the term I used. The Packers desperately need a cornerback capable of covering opposing top receivers and Thompson hasn't provided one since Shields went down for good.

So, not a true shutdown corner. I think we'd agree getting one of those is not realistic.

Better than what we already have? I think we'd agree that's desirable.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, who do you want, and how does Ted get him?

Aside of either trading for or signing one to an offer sheet it's too late for Thompson to acquire a #1 cornerback via free agency. He could have signed Gilmore or Bouye and yet wouldn't have spent as much cap space in 2017 as he saved by releasing Shields.

Reaction score
I typed "news" for The Green Bay Packers and Siri corrected it to "needs" before I noticed and searched. This article popped up and I believe that, while hard to admit it, is an accurate and fair depiction of our current Defense.
Sometimes in the heat of the battle we get blinders on and it takes an outsider to step in and tell us in a somewhat candid fashion what we are missing.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spor...analysis-dom-capers/4hh5vzlpwiz91efe9mjxv1wh3

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

That's a nice monologue but doesn't at all refute the premise that Thompson is rather roundly despised and vilified here by many. It's not just a couple of outliers.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel that TT can do a better job than me, therefore I have nothing to ***** about. All the TT haters kind of make me chuckle. Some people take this way too serious. Remember, it's entertainment and a business. They may have the left over cap money marked to lock up 2018 FA's. Who knows.......

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's a nice monologue but doesn't at all refute the premise that Thompson is rather roundly despised and vilified here by many. It's not just a couple of outliers.

He should be. He has stood in the way of having New England Patriots type of success in Green Bay because of his "old ways" which don't work as far as winning "super bowls".

He is sitting there with Aaron Rodgers and can't get over the hump because of his stubborn montra. It would be like losing in the playoffs every year with Michael Jordan.

They went out and got Jordan the "other components" to "win championships".

fistfullofbeer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should be. He has stood in the way of having New England Patriots type of success in Green Bay because of his "old ways" which don't work as far as winning "super bowls".

He is sitting there with Aaron Rodgers and can't get over the hump because of his stubborn montra. It would be like losing in the playoffs every year with Michael Jordan.

They went out and got Jordan the "other components" to "win championships".

I 100% agree with this.

The only other thing I would add to this is that the people who are overlooking his deficiencies may be because we are a perennial playoff team. However, that is really not as big of an achievement as most people think. 12 of 32 teams make it to playoffs every year.

I definitely think that TT is stuck in his old ways. He needs to start thinking out of the box to get the pieces the team needs to go all the way in the playoffs.

Members online

Latest posts