Grant's Agent Asking for Long Term Deal [merged threads]

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant's agent seeking long-term contract with Packers

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080319/PKR01/80319162/1989

He'll be here for all the off-season workouts and mini-camps, but will not sign his tender and go into training camp with a $370K base salary.

Ted, we've still got roughly $30 million in cap room even after signing Chillar and White. Give the kid a raise so he'll be happy. The last thing we need is our leading rusher for last season to be holding out.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant says he will not play for league minimum

I think he deserves a raise and throw in some incentives but I don't think TT should get carried away. Let's see if he can continue what he started last season.

Jamie

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh boy here we go. I think he deserves a raise also, but just how much is the question? This will be interesting to follow. The vibe I got from Grant at fan fest is one of a guy who already believes he is a superstar. Maybe it's just me, oh well we'll see what happens.

Krazygangsta

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Seriously TT should probably just give him a 1 year raise with a tender that if he passes > 1000 yards he would get bonuses or something like that .... then he would offer him the major contract if in fact he continues playing amazing

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

"Paging Ray Rice / Jonathan Stewart, you have a call from Ted Thompson of the Green Bay Packers."

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I say give him a some what small contract for 3 years. 500K + 500K bonus for 1000 yards and maybe an additional 500K bonus for 1200+ yards.

Year 2 a RB and salary equal to about 1.5 - 2 mil, and year three to about 3 mil.

Maybe add some re-negotiation or opt out clause. If he gets 1200+ yards both the next two seasons, he can negotiate a new contract or go FA.

I am still not sold that Grant is the starter for the Pack. I think alot of his production was due to the Oline play and FB blocking and that if Jackson or Wynn would have been starting could have gotten the same production.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Then how much of a raise should he give all the other 3rd year players? What should he do when Bigby wants a raise? Rouse? Ryan? Our kicker?

This is not so much about rewarding Grant as it is setting a precedence that if you preform for one half of a season then TT is willing to give you a raise.

If he sits, he sits. That is his choice. He can either live up to his contract or sit.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Re: Ryan Grant says he will not play for league minimum

Then how much of a raise should he give all the other 3rd year players? What should he do when Bigby wants a raise? Rouse? Ryan? Our kicker?

This is not so much about rewarding Grant as it is setting a precedence that if you preform for one half of a season then TT is willing to give you a raise.

If he sits, he sits. That is his choice. He can either live up to his contract or sit.

Exactly.. he has only a season of tenure.. other seasons were on the inactive list or injured.. so he is kind of screwed a bit.. if he sits.. he doesn't gain anymore accured time.. so he will be an exclusive free agent indefinately... don't like it, complain to the union about the CBA...

Here is a novel idea.. play another season, prove it wasn't a fluke, the quietly bargain with the front office for a better deal.. airing it in public is like pissing in the wind...

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let me start this off by saying that I really don't know what I am talking about.

With that said, how about offering RGrant a one-year deal (for now) with a base salary of $750K and $1Mil bonus for 1000 yds rushing, an additional $500K for 1250, and another $500K for 1500 yds?

Am I too "over-the-top" on this request/proposal?? :feedback:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

all about da packers said:
longtimefan said:
I wouldnt post something that I didnt feel was at least from a reliable source..

So we shall see what happens..

Yup, so you posting this means you obviously believes it's very credible.

It doesn't seem like Grant would say 'pay may or else', I sense an agent's influence in this.

I don't see this being true at all. It's probably just a bunch of smoke being thrown out since it's March and people want something to talk about. Maybe I'm wrong though and maybe your right and that the agent and Grant aren't on the same page. Agents have a lot to gain too.

If by some reason this is true then I say let Ryan Grant sit. The Packers own his rights for this year and maybe next year I believe. Even if he does have a major brain fart and this ends up being true then let him lose millions of dollar on the bench and go with Brandon Jackson or take a back in the 1st round.

Players who make threats towards the organization shouldn't be a Green Bay Packer. Instead of making threats of sitting out go about it the business way and you'll be rewarded. See Al Harris, Mark Tauscher, Scott Wells, Donald Driver, and Nick Barnett. IMO those guys send the right message to players in the locker room. If Grant does it that way then I say pay him.

If he goes the Javon Walker route then I don't agree that the Pack should pay him. I just feel it sends the wrong type of message to the players in the locker room.

Still think he is blowing smoke?

MassPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I say you wait until the draft is over to negotiate a deal with him. If some stud RB drops to us, it will make it all a little bit more interesting.

I'm also under the impression that a lot of his production was due to the O-line, FB's, and downfield blocking by the WRs, although he does excel at picking a lane, making a guy miss, and accelerating quickly into the defensive backfield. I like Grant. The team likes Grant. I just don't know how much he thinks he's worth right now... it may be a bit over the top.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Grant. The team likes Grant. I just don't know how much he thinks he's worth right now... it may be a bit over the top.

That's what TT should tell him. Word for word. Excellent.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Problem is Skibum, then all the other 1 year wonders will want the same ability in the future.

I love Grant and think he will be wonderful, but didn't Morency also have a good year and show signs of being excellent the last half of two seasons ago? how did that work out? What about Tony Fisher? there are others.

I am a firm believer that you are an excellent runner IF your line has lanes for you to run through. If there are no lanes then you are a mediocre runner. Isn't that what happened in the Championship game? The only runner I have ever seen make yards with no line or holes was Barry Sanders, and he was the best all time in my book.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Problem is Skibum, then all the other 1 year wonders will want the same ability in the future.

I love Grant and think he will be wonderful, but didn't Morency also have a good year and show signs of being excellent the last half of two seasons ago? how did that work out? What about Tony Fisher? there are others.

I am a firm believer that you are an excellent runner IF your line has lanes for you to run through. If there are no lanes then you are a mediocre runner. Isn't that what happened in the Championship game? The only runner I have ever seen make yards with no line or holes was Barry Sanders, and he was the best all time in my book.

Here is the gamble. Do we take a chance and offer some money now, NOT HUGE DOLLARS, and take the chance of blowing money if Grant becomes a bust, or give a minimum or close 1 yr deal and end up paying more next year when they decide to test FA.

I think in the long run I would prefer to risk a chance of blowing the money now and try to keep them out of FA.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

if we follow the template that Denver used with the ZBS then finding guys to rush for 1,000 shouldnt be a mammoth task, the gamble is whether Grant is truly a great back or is he the product of the system. It wouldnt surprize me if Ted went back and looked at every Grant rush in 2007 to see whether the runs could be attributed to Grant or system. Simply put if the majority of the runs are Grants doing then pay him, if not then dont.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I say give him a some what small contract for 3 years. 500K + 500K bonus for 1000 yards and maybe an additional 500K bonus for 1200+ yards.

Year 2 a RB and salary equal to about 1.5 - 2 mil, and year three to about 3 mil.

Maybe add some re-negotiation or opt out clause. If he gets 1200+ yards both the next two seasons, he can negotiate a new contract or go FA.

I am still not sold that Grant is the starter for the Pack. I think alot of his production was due to the Oline play and FB blocking and that if Jackson or Wynn would have been starting could have gotten the same production.

That's an interesting take.

I think Grant is better than Jackson or Wynn. How much? That's a tough one. Wynn played when the OL was not looking good. I didn't see holes. Jackson looked bad in the beginning of the season (when I prematurely called him a bust). Later on in the season, he looked like a good draft pick. But Grant was making his own holes, something Jackson and Wynn weren't doing.

Grant's only real bad game was against the Giants the 2nd time around. But let's be real - the Giants get the credit for stopping Grant, not Grant doing poorly against the Giants.

I'd prefer to give him a contract that rewards success too. I think that's a good idea. You get 1000+ yards, bonus. You get 10+ TDs, bonus. He really looked solid. I'd hate to lose him, but then again, I'd rather sign him to a contract with incentives to produce.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
all about da packers said:
longtimefan said:
I wouldnt post something that I didnt feel was at least from a reliable source..

So we shall see what happens..

Yup, so you posting this means you obviously believes it's very credible.

It doesn't seem like Grant would say 'pay may or else', I sense an agent's influence in this.

I don't see this being true at all. It's probably just a bunch of smoke being thrown out since it's March and people want something to talk about. Maybe I'm wrong though and maybe your right and that the agent and Grant aren't on the same page. Agents have a lot to gain too.

If by some reason this is true then I say let Ryan Grant sit. The Packers own his rights for this year and maybe next year I believe. Even if he does have a major brain fart and this ends up being true then let him lose millions of dollar on the bench and go with Brandon Jackson or take a back in the 1st round.

Players who make threats towards the organization shouldn't be a Green Bay Packer. Instead of making threats of sitting out go about it the business way and you'll be rewarded. See Al Harris, Mark Tauscher, Scott Wells, Donald Driver, and Nick Barnett. IMO those guys send the right message to players in the locker room. If Grant does it that way then I say pay him.

If he goes the Javon Walker route then I don't agree that the Pack should pay him. I just feel it sends the wrong type of message to the players in the locker room.

Still think he is blowing smoke?

That or it seems like your source exaggerated the situation quite a bit. I'm sure he wants more money. Who doesn't? I read the article last night and it says he will report to off season workouts. It also says he can't become a free agent until 2010 or 2011.

He has no leverage. Grant isn't an idiot. He knows if he sits out that long he'll lose more money that what he could potentially make by playing. I absolutely think this is false because I think Ryan Grant will probably play and if he had any desire to sit out the entire season as you suggested via your source, he wouldn’t report for off season workouts.

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see the Packers sign him to like a 3 year deal though because GB is so far under the cap they have the opportunity to extend a few players like a Ryan Grant and a Greg Jennings. Although I think Jennings is probably 1st in line.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tough call, that could get ugly. I do not see the Packers in a hurry to give big money/long term contract to a guy who has put up very good numbers over the course of 1/2 season. GB kind of has him over a barrel.

On the other hand, he did show signs that he can be a very good player for the next several years and if his play continues at the level of last year - his price tag will continually increase.

I do not see a quick resolution to this situation, and think the Packers may call his bluff and this thing stretches into training camp. Some stop gap measure will get done at that time, and somewhere during the course of the season(if the numbers are similar to last year) the two sides will work out a long term deal.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Geez.......the guy has ONE HALF a decent season, and he thinks he's Barry Sanders. :roll:
You need to prove yourself for MORE then half a season to brag how great you are. This guy needs a little "self worth" reality check.
Sounds like another Javon Walker to me.
That just ticks me off.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The problem is........if he doesn't get what he wants, will he become a locker room cancer? Will he pout and let his attitude affect the rest of the team?
Theres no more Favre to speak out about these types.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i think Grant is messing with the wrong dude. if he thinks TT is gonna write a check after a half of a season, hes got another thing comin.

I mean think about it... Ted just signed a linebacker in free agency. and for those of you who didnt know... TT has a silo attached to his house that he fills with coins converted from dollars he should be spending in free agency. If he signs a linebacker and a running back in one offseason.. he might hurt his neck when he dives in to take his nightly "money swim".

no but in all seriousness, i dont think Grant will be gettin paid this offseason and i dont think he will sit out. Thats just stupid.. especially when the team runs a system that is supposed to devalue star running backs.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The comparisons to Morency and Fisher don't do anything for me. Once Grant became a starter, he gained more yards than any other player in the league with the exception of Ladanian Tomlinson. Then he gained over 200 in a playoff game. Neither Morency nor Fisher ever did anything that even approaches that.

The Barry Sanders comparison doesn't help me, either, because Sanders was arguably the best pure runner in NFL history, but there were plenty of occasions when he was shut down almost completely. It can happen to any RB against a defense that is playing at a high level.

And that's just the problem here, as mentioned in the article: There are no good comparisons. Javon Walker was still playing out a high dollar rookie contract when he went public (on the radio, no less) with his complaints. Grant, on the other hand, has thus far earned peanuts by NFL standards. Although the Packers seemingly hold all the cards here, I think Thompson should try to hammer out a deal that pays Grant something closer to what his production merits.

It's not like Grant agreed to a contract and now wants to back out of it. He's stuck earning the league minimum because of the way he came into the league. Players like him sometimes fall between the cracks, salary-wise, because of the way the league functions. That's why I think Thompson should bargain with him in good faith and try to come up with an agreement that both sides can tolerate.

I'm not saying they should break the bank for him. He has not proven himself for long enough to deserve a top-tier contract. But to force him to either play for the league minimum or hold out is too much of a slap in the face, in my opinion, and it will not make Green Bay look like an attractive place for other players.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
The comparisons to Morency and Fisher don't do anything for me. Once Grant became a starter, he gained more yards than any other player in the league with the exception of Ladanian Tomlinson. Then he gained over 200 in a playoff game. Neither Morency nor Fisher ever did anything that even approaches that.

Bingo!

That's my whole argument from another thread. I said Grant was a top-10 RB and it starting getting into semantics. In the half a season he started, he beat out EVERYONE except for LT, and got 8 TDs in 7 starts.

Then in the Playoffs, he was outstanding against Seattle. I don't think we've ever had a 200-yard rushing performance in the Playoffs. And that's over an 87 year span. Ryan Grant did it in his very first playoff game.

Don't break the bank, but I'm sure we can work something out with Grant. Give him an incentive based contract. You produce, you get rewarded.

I can count the RBs I'd rather have than Grant on one hand and still have fingers left over. Yes, half a season and 2 playoff games was enough to make a judgment. I've watched a lot of football in my 37 years. Grant is good.

Members online

Latest posts