Grant's Agent Asking for Long Term Deal [merged threads]

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

Another difference between Grant and Walker. I looked at Walker wanting more money. He didn't care where but he wanted more.

Grant I think wants a long term deal because he wants to be a Packer for a long time. I really don't think money is going to be a huge issue here otherwise this would be a much bigger story in my opinion.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

I'd hold out on principle...

You're actually justifying risking that over a couple of hundred grand and some incentives?

Need I remind you that the Packers had ZERO running game before Grant came along. You do understand that, right? And that his rushing stats were second only to the leading rusher in the NFL, Ladanian Tomlinson, right?

TT should do the RIGHT thing, in this case, and sweeten the deal a little...

(Being exceedingly cheap is not a virtue, it's a ********** of character...)

If not for the 2nd leading rusher thing, almost sounds like your describing Samkon Gado

And how would that have worked out if TT decided to pay the guy then?

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score

like t.t. said though their are others he would like to work on hopfuly williams is one i would like them to work somthing out for grant :)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Ryan Grant is asking for a long-term contract?

I thought I read his agent and the Packers haven't even spoke about it.

Oh and look at ...
The NFL's salary landscape has changed in the last couple of years, and teams, including the Packers, have taken to extending core players' contracts and giving them raises even when the player has multiple years left on his deal. Grant appears to be a good candidate for such a move, though his agent, Alan Herman, said he hasn't talked to the team about it.

From THIS

Crazy talk there, crazy!!

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fuzz,

You just do not get it, and people who do not get it do not know that they do not get it. They are oblivious, like the idiot at the supermarket who stands there in the middle of the isle looking at soup, and is blocking everyone from getting by. They are oblivious to everything around them and they do not get it.

First of all... T.T. can not be a cheap bastard. HE DOES NOT OWN THE TEAM. Green Bay Does. Its not his money. He is not Al Davis. He is just being fiscally responsible with someone else's money and doing a damn good job about it.

Secondly, the season's end is not even a week old and you are all ready jumping all over T.T. It is almost like you could not wait for the Packers to lose.

Fuzz = 477 posts typed while standing in the middle of Isle 6 at the supermarket.

In-Freaking-Credible.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:

Fuzz,

You just do not get it, and people who do not get it do not know that they do not get it. They are oblivious, like the idiot at the supermarket who stands there in the middle of the isle looking at soup, and is blocking everyone from getting by. They are oblivious to everything around them and they do not get it.

First of all... T.T. can not be a cheap bastard. HE DOES NOT OWN THE TEAM. Green Bay Does. Its not his money. He is not Al Davis. He is just being fiscally responsible with someone else's money and doing a damn good job about it.

Secondly, the season's end is not even a week old and you are all ready jumping all over T.T. It is almost like you could not wait for the Packers to lose.

Fuzz = 477 posts typed while standing in the middle of Isle 6 at the supermarket.

In-Freaking-Credible.
"CLEAN UP ON AISLE 6 PLEASE!!!!" :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

OK to ease Fuzznuts pain, I Say we throw an incentive of $500,000 at him for good play, but then shouldn't there be a deduction of $500,000 for BAD play?

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
like the idiot at the supermarket who stands there in the middle of the isle looking at soup, and is blocking everyone from getting by. They are oblivious to everything around them and they do not get it.
That ****** me off. Or people with a shopping cart just wondering around aimlessly, walking as slow as they can possibly walk. When I go to a store, I know what I want and I get it. Get in, get out. Ok, I'm done ranting.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Of course some of you people can't read, i guess..

I didn't say extend him now, or throw tons of cash at him...

Give him a little bump up, some incentives, or a bonus of some kind for his performance last year. To keep him at the league minimum is an insult after what he did this year.

I can't spell it out any clearer for some of you....

Basically I agree with you. I don't know why you have to make all of your points in such an inflammatory way.

I think it's safe to say that Grant is not just another Samkon Gado. He is faster and more powerful and is a great fit for our scheme, which Gado was not.

Someone pointed out that Grant needs to improve in some areas, and that's true, but he's a young player, so that's to be expected. Really, it just means that he has even more upside. I think he should be paid like any other promising young running back. Because Grant's bargaining position is so poor, the Packers don't have to break the bank for him, but a market level deal for 3-5 years, with incentives, would show that the Packers take care of their players.

Also, the time to sign running backs to long-term contracts is when they are young. Grant is just getting his career started, and barring injury, he will almost certainly earn his money.

Reaction score

Not meant to attack you, but if Grant held out he's the biggest moron there is in the NFL.

He's earned $300,000. That's BEFORE paying taxes.

Grant will get fined for missing:
- mandatory practices
- mandatory meetings
- mandatory workouts

We'll let's put it this way, Grant will be in debt real soon.

It's important to remember that it takes two sides to get a deal done. The best thing that can be said about Grant (and eventually this didn't hold true for J-Walk) is that Grant doesn't seem to care about the money or glory.

Grant seems like he just wants to play football, and he seems to not be one that will easily be lured with promises of more money somewhere else.

Grant moved his whole family (mother/father/sisters) out to Green Bay, if I'm not mistaken. I'd reckon that Grant isn't keen on moving his whole family to a new location any time soon.

So I think Grant has incentive to want to get a deal done. The Packers certainly have am incentive to get a deal done, as early as week 3 word from team sources (courtesy pro football weekly) was that they believed Grant had the ability to be a top tier RB.

And with about 25 million in cap space, it doesn't hurt that the Packers have a little money to spare on their own players.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

all about da packers said:

Not meant to attack you, but if Grant held out he's the biggest moron there is in the NFL.

The above post is a wonderful example of being a perfect moderator.

It is telling someone to shut up in a politically correct, way. In a soft, but firm manner.

It is a little Dr. Phil, with a touch of Oprah to soften the blow.

This post is part psychological, part Motherly love, and part Fatherly go to your room.

A.A.D.P. is the Boss.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
Of course some of you people can't read, i guess..

I didn't say extend him now, or throw tons of cash at him...

Give him a little bump up, some incentives, or a bonus of some kind for his performance last year. To keep him at the league minimum is an insult after what he did this year.

I can't spell it out any clearer for some of you....

Basically I agree with you. I don't know why you have to make all of your points in such an inflammatory way.

I think it's safe to say that Grant is not just another Samkon Gado. He is faster and more powerful and is a great fit for our scheme, which Gado was not.

Someone pointed out that Grant needs to improve in some areas, and that's true, but he's a young player, so that's to be expected. Really, it just means that he has even more upside. I think he should be paid like any other promising young running back. Because Grant's bargaining position is so poor, the Packers don't have to break the bank for him, but a market level deal for 3-5 years, with incentives, would show that the Packers take care of their players.

Also, the time to sign running backs to long-term contracts is when they are young. Grant is just getting his career started, and barring injury, he will almost certainly earn his money.

That's because you're one of the few rational posters on this forum Greg...the others who attack are sensitive little whiners who do their own shopping and don't send their women like real men do (i don't go food shopping, pal), and cry like girls, and react like babies when anybody even brings up a question about TT at all.

I didn't say Ted was a tightwad, or anything negative about TT. All I said was that TT should do the right thing in regards to Ryan Grant. I said "he should be a tightwad in this situation", and certain reactionary posters flip out because I guess you can't discuss anything regarding Ted Thompson on this forum because he is "untouchable"...and these certain people start whining like *******.

Mention Thompson in any regard and the whiners and name callers will gang up on you like children who are trying to exclude you from their "club". It's juvenile....

But Favre is fair game. These same people will stand by, or even pile on, while Favre is shredded and attacked for no good reason.

I don't know why these people are so touchy, but they are....
Obviously, there are still deep divisions in Packerland.

AADP...I didn't even really mean that Grant should hold out. I'm trying to make the point that if TT does nothing, like he's done in the past, he risks creating a disgruntled player in a year or two....He should take care of him in some manner, that's all...

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score

AADP...I didn't even really mean that Grant should hold out. I'm trying to make the point that if TT does nothing, like he's done in the past he risks creating a disgruntled player in a year or two....He should take care of him in some manner, that's all...

The only real example of that is Walker. TT has extended numerous players and given bumps in pay because players outperformed their contracts in the last two years.

I'd be shocked if it weren't the same for Grant, so I see no reason to get worked up about it.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here's a link to an article that puts this story into context:

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbc...=P7iY0Z8e/+zDC7NtKhftPigrK151Fb8dWx8mog3Az5k=

The title of this thread, "Grant asking for long-term deal," is misleading, because it's just his agent saying that they are open to making a long-term deal because Grant is outperforming his contract. I don't know if there are any agents who would not say the same thing in this situation. It's a good thing, really, because it shows that Grant wants to stay in Green Bay for awhile.

The Javon Walker thing happened three years ago, and since then Thompson has been willing to extend contracts when they have more than a year remaining, so I expect him to offer some sort of deal to Grant before next season. Probably sooner rather than later.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Greg C. said:
Here's a link to an article that puts this story into context:

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbc...=P7iY0Z8e/+zDC7NtKhftPigrK151Fb8dWx8mog3Az5k=

The title of this thread, "Grant asking for long-term deal," is misleading, because it's just his agent saying that they are open to making a long-term deal because Grant is outperforming his contract. I don't know if there are any agents who would not say the same thing in this situation. It's a good thing, really, because it shows that Grant wants to stay in Green Bay for awhile.

The Javon Walker thing happened three years ago, and since then Thompson has been willing to extend contracts when they have more than a year remaining, so I expect him to offer some sort of deal to Grant before next season. Probably sooner rather than later.

Exactly!!

And if not mistaken, every other player that has had an issue with their contract has been taken care of..so to have a preconceived idea that Ted will not re-work contracts for a n unhappy player is wrong IMO...

Fuzz would this be correct?

You not attacking Ted, you are simply saying that you want Ted to offer some goodwill money for coming season, then give him the big deal if Ryan performs in 2009

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, exactly.

I made my peace with Ted awhile ago..

We smoked the pipe and everything was cool...

(I don't know why people are getting so reactionary!)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, exactly.

Good, now I hope everyone can give fuzz a break

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Big Time Deal

GRANT LOOKING TO LONG-TERM DEAL
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 25, 2008, 9:40 a.m.

The only problem is that Grant doesn’t have a lot of leverage. He has been out of college for three years, but he was technically considered a rookie in 2007 because he spent his first year on the Giants’ practice squad and his second on the Giants’ non-football injury list. He made the league minimum of $310,000 in the 2007 season, and he still has two years before he can be a free agent.

Dougherty reports that the Packers might simply tender him at the second-year minimum of $370,000 in 2008, and the third-year minimum of $460,000 in 2009.

Must be nice to get a guaranteed $60,000 a year raise and then another $90,000 the year after that.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Must be nice to get a guaranteed $60,000 a year raise and then another $90,000 the year after that.

Damn Skippy... hard life to live I am sure. :roll:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fuzznuts said:
Yes, exactly.

Good, now I hope everyone can give fuzz a break

Yeah he does deserve it so.

And are people comparing this to Javon Walker? Wow. I think I'll go back to not posting for a bit again.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By all means, TT...Be a cheap tightwad and let him go so we can pick up more trash from the dung heap.

Don't make the same mistake you did with Walker, this young man deserves more than the league minimum!
:lol:

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't say Ted was a tightwad, or anything negative about TT

By all means, TT...Be a cheap tightwad and let him go so we can pick up more trash from the dung heap.

Don't make the same mistake you did with Walker, this young man deserves more than the league minimum!

can we please block this ***** already. he hasnt added one positive element to this site his entire time.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

Fuzznuts said:

can we please block this ***** already. he hasnt added one positive element to this site his entire time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

http://beta.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

A little unproven I would say at this point. I agree that an extension may be in order, it should be heavy on the incentives though.

PS Walker Sucks.

Decided to bump this up since I just read this on another forum

He and his agent right now are both privately saying that they will not play next season unless he gets a substantial raise......

Just another reason that a vet backup makes a lot of sense.

This came from a poster I absolutley have 10000% confidence in when he posts something

I am not sure if he is part of Gb media, or front office in GB, but I have not noticed him to post false info

And NO it isnt JOE ARRIGO or what ever his name is..

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. Ted doesn't take kindly to threats like that.
2. Ted seems to be very fair with rewarding quality people(see: Driver, Barnett)
3. With all the money we have now that Brett is gone, I expect him to get a pay raise, but mostly incentive based.

Packnic said:
Fuzznuts said:

lol, how did I miss this one? lol. This forum is a lot better since his banning.

Members online

Latest posts