Grant's Agent Asking for Long Term Deal [merged threads]

Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

He and his agent right now are both privately saying that they will not play next season unless he gets a substantial raise......

Just another reason that a vet backup makes a lot of sense.

This came from a poster I absolutley have 10000% confidence in when he posts something

I am not sure if he is part of Gb media, or front office in GB, but I have not noticed him to post false info

And NO it isnt JOE ARRIGO or what ever his name is..

Wow, strong words there LT. Worrying, but not like we don't have the cap room, I think it's more a matter of Grant needing to show he can do it year in, year out before he earns that substantial raise.

But the management might feel differently, they may think Grant has got what it takes to be an everyday RB.

If so, I'd offer Grant a contract similar to the one Justin Fargas signed earlier this off-season, 3 yrs/12 million. Seems fair, the type of deals that benefit both players and the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

all about da packers said:
He and his agent right now are both privately saying that they will not play next season unless he gets a substantial raise......

Just another reason that a vet backup makes a lot of sense.

This came from a poster I absolutley have 10000% confidence in when he posts something

I am not sure if he is part of Gb media, or front office in GB, but I have not noticed him to post false info

And NO it isnt JOE ARRIGO or what ever his name is..

Wow, strong words there LT. Worrying, but not like we don't have the cap room, I think it's more a matter of Grant needing to show he can do it year in, year out before he earns that substantial raise.

But the management might feel differently, they may think Grant has got what it takes to be an everyday RB.

If so, I'd offer Grant a contract similar to the one Justin Fargas signed earlier this off-season, 3 yrs/12 million. Seems fair, the type of deals that benefit both players and the Packers.

I wouldnt post something that I didnt feel was at least from a reliable source..

So we shall see what happens..

Reaction score

I wouldnt post something that I didnt feel was at least from a reliable source..

Yup, so you posting this means you obviously believe it's very credible.

It doesn't seem like Grant would say 'pay may or else', I sense an agent's influence in this.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yup, so you posting this means you obviously believes it's very credible.

It doesn't seem like Grant would say 'pay may or else', I sense an agent's influence in this.

I agree he "seemed" so humble the few minutes i sat and talked with him and then there was that nfl netowrk piece they did on him..

I have him on myspace and I'm gunna give him crap bout this

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't see this being true at all. It's probably just a bunch of smoke being thrown out since it's March and people want something to talk about. Maybe I'm wrong though and maybe your right and that the agent and Grant aren't on the same page. Agents have a lot to gain too.

If by some reason this is true then I say let Ryan Grant sit. The Packers own his rights for this year and maybe next year I believe. Even if he does have a major brain fart and this ends up being true then let him lose millions of dollar on the bench and go with Brandon Jackson or take a back in the 1st round.

Players who make threats towards the organization shouldn't be a Green Bay Packer. Instead of making threats of sitting out go about it the business way and you'll be rewarded. See Al Harris, Mark Tauscher, Scott Wells, Donald Driver, and Nick Barnett. IMO those guys send the right message to players in the locker room. If Grant does it that way then I say pay him.

If he goes the Javon Walker route then I don't agree that the Pack should pay him. I just feel it sends the wrong type of message to the players in the locker room.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

longtimefan said:

I don't see this being true at all. It's probably just a bunch of smoke being thrown out since it's March and people want something to talk about. Maybe I'm wrong though and maybe your right and that the agent and Grant aren't on the same page. Agents have a lot to gain too.

If by some reason this is true then I say let Ryan Grant sit. The Packers own his rights for this year and maybe next year I believe. Even if he does have a major brain fart and this ends up being true then let him lose millions of dollar on the bench and go with Brandon Jackson or take a back in the 1st round.

Players who make threats towards the organization shouldn't be a Green Bay Packer. Instead of making threats of sitting out go about it the business way and you'll be rewarded. See Al Harris, Mark Tauscher, Scott Wells, Donald Driver, and Nick Barnett. IMO those guys send the right message to players in the locker room. If Grant does it that way then I say pay him.

If he goes the Javon Walker route then I don't agree that the Pack should pay him. I just feel it sends the wrong type of message to the players in the locker room.

I dont think this guy is just blowing smoke..Not the type and never has has posted anything like that..

I am not really sure how I would want the packers to handle this..

Got a while yet before it really is going to be at the door step

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

You'd think he wouldn't be such a **** to a team that took him from a team that had him as the 6th RB and gave him a shot to prove himself....

I wont judge him till it all happens. I love grant.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Grant is clearly a back that with blocking can do well, but if that Giant's game proved anything, its that he is not the kind of back who can make holes for himself when the O-line struggles. There are two things we can do to improve the running game. The first is to bring in a young OL or two, preferably a guard and tackle (Thinking Right Guard and Left Tackle, but its going to depend on who is drafted.) The other thing you can do is draft a guy to back up Grant and groom in case he's not the guy. A lot of teams use 2 or 3 Backs now, and this year has some very good talent at Full Back and Running Back. What if a GUy like James Stewart falls, or the Guy out of Texas (Name escapes me at the moment). The question though, is what kind of runner does green bay need to draft, if it seems Grant is NOT that guy?

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If it's true then sit him. I like him but let's face it. If the Packers didn't pick him up he wouldn't have had a chance to ask for a raise.

Personally I hope everything works out and everyone is happy. If Grant is going to push the issue and be a jerk then sit down and shut up.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I seem to recall the REdskins had a Running back who in their SB against the Broncos set a rushing record. The guy was in trouble with the law and off the team in no time. Backs are a dime a dozen now if Grant doesn't want to play then so be it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I seem to recall the REdskins had a Running back who in their SB against the Broncos set a rushing record. The guy was in trouble with the law and off the team in no time. Backs are a dime a dozen now if Grant doesn't want to play then so be it.
Wasn't that Timmy Smith? (I could be wrong on the name)
But it's also true that the guy did NOTHING else in his career, where Grant has shown he has talent. He's not a "one game wonder".
The Packers obviously thought he was worth getting, and seem to be right on their call. It would be a SHAME to let him go.
Backs ARE "a dime a dozen", but GOOD backs are not.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Veretax said:
But it's also true that the guy did NOTHING else in his career, where Grant has shown he has talent. He's not a "one game wonder".
The Packers obviously thought he was worth getting, and seem to be right on their call. It would be a SHAME to let him go.

Well the only reason I brought that up, is Grant had that HUGE game against the Seahawks in the Divisional Round then put up something like 29 yeards against the Giants. And yes, it was Timmy Smith. I'm hoping he's not another Timmy Smith, I think he could be a solid back for three years at least for us, but with the RB talent in this years draft, I'd not be fulling around with Grant Either. Worse comes to worse they can trade up and grab mendenhall or stewart. Good Backs? Not sure there is such a distinction anymore but I digress there.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:
Veretax said:

Well the only reason I brought that up, is Grant had that HUGE game against the Seahawks in the Divisional Round then put up something like 29 yeards against the Giants. And yes, it was Timmy Smith. I'm hoping he's not another Timmy Smith, I think he could be a solid back for three years at least for us, but with the RB talent in this years draft, I'd not be fulling around with Grant Either. Worse comes to worse they can trade up and grab mendenhall or stewart. Good Backs? Not sure there is such a distinction anymore but I digress there.
The Giants didn't run much better that game either. They just stuck with it through the whole game, which we did not. Maybe if we had, Grant would have had numbers equal to or better then the Giants did. When you only have as few carrys as Grant did in the Giants game, you arn't gonna put up big numbers.
And with Grant we KNOW we have a talented back. He showed that during the regular season too. With a rookie straight out of college, you have NO idea if they will ever live up to the hype. If you look at past drafts, i bet you could easily come up with dozens of "can't miss" RB's that DID miss.
Why let a young, talented guy who knows the system already, has most of a year under his belt here, leave?
Rodgers is gonna need guys around him that know what they are doing right away. Not some young newbie that takes a half a season to know what his assignments are.
JMO of course.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Excellent Point, 13 plays running the ball is hardly enough in the long run, but I'm not saying I think Ryan is going to go down hill, I'm just reminding folks that you never know what could happen. Shaun Alexander had that great rushing title year, Then they lost Hutchinson and he's not been the same back since.

wranglerjeansfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i havent heard anything about this, and i am close enough to a couple sources to know if it were true. can you provide a link to the forum that you found it in?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Big Time Deal

Raider Pride said:
By all means, TT...Be a cheap tightwad and let him go so we can pick up more trash from the dung heap.

Don't make the same mistake you did with Walker, this young man deserves more than the league minimum!

Good point Fuzz.

Perhaps if Walker was on the Packers I.R. all season in-stead of the Bronco's I.R. list we would have beat the Giants. Walker was the one missing link. Freaking T.T.

lol

wranglerjeansfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

trust me, no offense to your source but this is not true, it's just a ridiculous rumor

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like Grant, I really do. But it's far too early to be asking for a big deal right now. Sorry Grant, but that's just the business. Give us another year to judge your body of work and then we'll talk. Until then, work hard and improve.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Give him a contract that has a low base salary, an incentive bonus this year and RB next year and an decent base increase in 2010.

If he is not willing to put in the work to earn his money, then I say goodbye. He has nothing to bargan with.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

trust me, no offense to your source but this is not true, it's just a ridiculous rumor

So now who is your source?

if you rather not make it public I understand...so send me a pm..

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts