cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Big Time Deal

cheesey said:
Fuzznuts said:
Raider Pride said:
Fuzznuts said:
By all means, TT...Be a cheap tightwad and let him go so we can pick up more trash from the dung heap.

Don't make the same mistake you did with Walker, this young man deserves more than the league minimum!

Good point Fuzz.

Perhaps if Walker was on the Packers I.R. all season in-stead of the Bronco's I.R. list we would have beat the Giants. Walker was the one missing link. Freaking T.T.

Yeah RP..

Let's **** off Grant and make him hold out so we can get no production out of the running game again for 6 games from Morency, B-Jack, and Wynn by TT being a tightwad, cheapskate and paying the second leading rusher in the NFL next to LaDanian Tomlinson this year the league minimum...!

Real Genius move there...right?
:thumbsup:

Walker was good in '06 and he will be good again...

Mark my words.
I don't get it.......TT puts together a team that goes 13-3, wins the division, wins a playoff game, loses the NFC title game in overtime, and STILL is called a "tightwad". Yeah.....TT is a real idiot. :roll:
How many here were thinking seriously that we would get THAT far?
I also wonder how many would have hoped we would have tanked the season and went 3-13 just so they could say "SEE!?!? TT is no good!"
But TT goes and screws that up by making us the second best team in the whole NFC.
DAMN that TT!!!

I rather be cheap and draft good then blow money around like it grows on trees and draft terrible.
I agree Porky! I was being sarcastic!
We are in GREAT salary cap position because of TT not just blowing money. But some people think thats being a "tightwad". To me, thats good business sense. How many teams have we seen that blew tons of money on people, only to put themselves in "salary cap hell" for years to come? I'd MUCH rather be in the situation we are in then the one those teams are in.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pork,

Would you rather **** off your leading rusher when you had no rushing game by being cheap and paying the league minimum, or make a adjustment to his salary to keep him happy and contributing in GB?

Javon Walker always struck me as a punk so I don't think it's fair to compare Ryan Grant's situation to Javon Walker's.

Ryan Grant strikes me as a someone more like Al Harris. I think he'll be patient. I haven't talked to the guy but I've watched him in interviews preaching earning what you get. If I'm the Packers I maybe offer some incentives into his contract but I don't break the bank for him after this one year.

If by week 8 of next year he's playing as well as we hope then I'd being putting together a long term deal with a good amount of money.

Then again it just depends on how much he's asking for which I really don't know.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

porky88 said:
cheesey said:
Fuzznuts said:
Raider Pride said:
Fuzznuts said:
By all means, TT...Be a cheap tightwad and let him go so we can pick up more trash from the dung heap.

Don't make the same mistake you did with Walker, this young man deserves more than the league minimum!

Good point Fuzz.

Perhaps if Walker was on the Packers I.R. all season in-stead of the Bronco's I.R. list we would have beat the Giants. Walker was the one missing link. Freaking T.T.

Yeah RP..

Let's **** off Grant and make him hold out so we can get no production out of the running game again for 6 games from Morency, B-Jack, and Wynn by TT being a tightwad, cheapskate and paying the second leading rusher in the NFL next to LaDanian Tomlinson this year the league minimum...!

Mark my words.
I don't get it.......TT puts together a team that goes 13-3, wins the division, wins a playoff game, loses the NFC title game in overtime, and STILL is called a "tightwad". Yeah.....TT is a real idiot. :roll:
How many here were thinking seriously that we would get THAT far?
I also wonder how many would have hoped we would have tanked the season and went 3-13 just so they could say "SEE!?!? TT is no good!"
But TT goes and screws that up by making us the second best team in the whole NFC.
DAMN that TT!!!

I rather be cheap and draft good then blow money around like it grows on trees and draft terrible.
I agree Porky! I was being sarcastic!
We are in GREAT salary cap position because of TT not just blowing money. But some people think thats being a "tightwad". To me, thats good business sense. How many teams have we seen that blew tons of money on people, only to put themselves in "salary cap hell" for years to come? I'd MUCH rather be in the situation we are in then the one those teams are in.

I new you were being sarcastic. I was sort of adding onto to your point.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Oh....got ya Porky!!!
I agree with the Walker thing.......he put himself in that position with his big mouth.
Like i said, theres a LONG time between now and next season. For people to say TT is a tightwad and won't take care of this is.......well, let me be blunt......stupid. (Just my opinion) Hasn't TT done a GREAT job of taking care of business??? Yet we STILL have to hear the "Tightwad Ted" comments.
I swear, some people just LOOK for reasons to call him a cheapskate. Geez.........i swear.......had we won the super bowl, i bet they STILL would find SOME reason to go after him.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

TT will make the deal.

Other players will tell Grant to be patient. With patients comes rewards if you play for the Green Bay Packers. Look at Donald Driver, for instance. He was patient, and he got rewarded not once, but twice.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

TT will make the deal.

Other players will tell Grant to be patient. With patients comes rewards if you play for the Green Bay Packers. Look at Donald Driver, for instance. He was patient, and he got rewarded not once, but twice.
Thats how I feel. Let it play out, and it WILL get done.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If will be another two years untill he becomes a RFA, sign him to the minimum and see if he is the real deal next year, extend him if he shows he is.

wranglerjeansfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i think we are missing the point here. grant didn't ask for a lot of money, nor did he ask to be traded to get more money. all he wants is a long term deal, which means he WANTS TO STAY A PACKER. he clearly likes the organization, the fans, and he works great in the system. he has 1/1000000000 the ego javon had.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i think we are missing the point here. grant didn't ask for a lot of money, nor did he ask to be traded to get more money. all he wants is a long term deal, which means he WANTS TO STAY A PACKER. he clearly likes the organization, the fans, and he works great in the system. he has 1/1000000000 the ego javon had.

Good point. Just for fun, wherever you see Grant's name above, replace it with Ferguson.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:
Raider Pride said:

Good point Fuzz.

Yeah, if by "pick up trash" it was meant "pick up guys of Grant's production", and "the dung heap" is code for the Super Bowl-bound Giants, I couldn't agree more with this type of call to action!

TT YOU SONOFABISCUIT, BRING IN MORE RYAN GRANTS!!!!!!

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thats great that he wants to stay in Green Bay and I hope he does for a long time.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mark my words.

You do realize that there is zero chance Grant holds out because he is an exclusive rights FA with only one year played, right? I'm sure you are up on your understanding of the economics of the NFL.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'd hold out on principle...

You're actually justifying risking that over a couple of hundred grand and some incentives?

Need I remind you that the Packers had ZERO running game before Grant came along. You do understand that, right? And that his rushing stats were second only to the leading rusher in the NFL, Ladanian Tomlinson, right?

TT should do the RIGHT thing, in this case, and sweeten the deal a little...

(Being exceedingly cheap is not a virtue, it's a ********** of character...)

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're actually justifying risking that over a couple of hundred grand and some incentives?

Need I remind you that the Packers had ZERO running game before Grant came along. You do understand that, right? And that his rushing stats were second only to the leading rusher in the NFL, Ladanian Tomlinson, right?

Grant (or you, in your hypothetical) would have to sit out for three seasons in order to become a FA.

Good luck with that.

As a business strategy, the only option is to play to the best of your ability for the minimum and walk in three years as an UFA if the Packers are unwilling to offer you a better deal. However, I highly doubt it plays out that way.

TT has shown a clear willingness to reward good soldiers. Grant won't be any different unless he trips and gets an icepick in the brain and goes Javon Walker stupid on us.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fuzznuts said:

Grant (or you, in your hypothetical) would have to sit out for three seasons in order to become a FA.

Good luck with that.

As a business strategy, the only option is to play to the best of your ability for the minimum and walk in three years as an UFA if the Packers are unwilling to offer you a better deal. However, I highly doubt it plays out that way.

TT has shown a clear willingness to reward good soldiers. Grant won't be any different unless he trips and gets an icepick in the brain and goes Javon Walker stupid on us.

Wouldn't it only be two seasons....?

He could threaten to sit out if unhappy. He could sign with some other team at the end of his contract vowing not to play for the Packers...

Why risk the bad blood? Give him his due....

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aytumious said:
Fuzznuts said:

Good luck with that.

He could threaten to sit out if unhappy. He could sign with some other team at the end of his contract vowing not to play for the Packers...

Why risk what? Him sitting out for two years and effectively ending his career after 8 games played?

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No..him saying F*** Y** to the Packers after he leads the NFC in rushing for those 2 years...

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

You don't give someone an amazing contract after just half a season of effectiveness. If he continues to do well throughout a good part of the next year, then yes, I agree. You don't just throw big money at people immediately. You want them to prove their consistency for at least 16 games . . at least in my and more then likely Ted's opinion. Show consistency and you will be rewarded.

Not saying Grant hasn't showed consistency yet, he just needs more time to do so before getting another deal.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No..him saying F*** Y** to the Packers after he leads the NFC in rushing for those 2 years...

You are making some massive assumptions.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

Fuzznuts said:

You are making some massive assumptions.

Fuzznuts making as *** of himself?

Neeeevvvveeerrr!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

After three years of being vested on a roster you qualify for free agency unless your team releases for from contract.. so no play or be on a qualifying roster for 6 weeks of the season.. no accured years of service.. so if he held out.. it would be infinite.. not logical after 1 season.

Grant has no leverage other to not play hard.. in which he doesn't get a big contract from anyone.. he has to play.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

gary and cliff show out of milwaukee WSSP...HAd same question, pay him now or wait?

10 callers I think and ALL said if he performs the same way 1st 8 games of next season then extend him THEN..

NOT NOW..

and I agree 100%

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Of course some of you people can't read, i guess..

I didn't say extend him now, or throw tons of cash at him...

Give him a little bump up, some incentives, or a bonus of some kind for his performance last year. To keep him at the league minimum is an insult after what he did this year.

I can't spell it out any clearer for some of you....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts