Grant's Agent Asking for Long Term Deal [merged threads]

Reaction score
Re: Ryan Grant says he will not play for league minimum

Raider Pride said:
Is he going about it the right way to get that raise? NO

What exactly has Grant done wrong? Grant is attending the off-season program, and has NOT said a single thing about "holding out" or wanting a mega-contract.

All Grant's agent has said is that "I'm optimistic that we are going to get a contract done with the Packers, and you can look at the Packers record of taking care of their own as the reason for my optimism."

Grant hasn't held out, or said he is going to. All he has yet to do is sign his EFA tender, but he's still working out with the team.

Raider Pride said:
Now If he maintais the same 5.1 YPC next year that he had in 7 starts last year, then he can ask, and will deserve, a long term lucrative contract.

Grant has NOT asked for a lucrative long term contract. Grant's agent has NOT asked for a lucrative long term contract. That is the impression that the Packersnews.com article created, but the agents words don't support that.

Grant wants to be a Packer for a while, and he believes a contract will be done that keeps him as a Packer. That is what Grant's agent said.

Grant hasn't gone to the papers, or made a peep. Grant's agent is simply stating things as they are when asked about Grant's status: Grant wants to be a Packer beyond this year, and he is optimisitic that the Packers will take care of Grant.

Reaction score

Ryan hasn't come out and said anything.
Ryan hasn't put out a statement to be released by his agent.

Exactly!

Ryan Grant is currently busy attending the Off-season workouts being held by the Packers this week for first and second year players.

He hasn't made a peep about his contract, or said "pay me or else".

I'm not sure what people getting mad at Grant would've wanted Grant's agent to say.

Grant's agent was honest in his reply when asked about Grant's status: Grant wants to be a Packer beyond next year, and there is no reason to think that won't happen.

Grant has not cried or moaned about anything yet. He wants to be a Packer long-term, and his agent just made that desire public, adding that Grant (and the agent himself) like the chances of it happening.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

cheesey said:
Yup RP.......thats all i was saying all along.
We gave him his shot, and you DON'T repay the team thats giving you a chance to become a multi millionaire by "dissing" them for not just handing you a fat contract based on a few games. PROVE that you deserve it, THEN cry if they don't treat you fairly.

Where is he crying? All I've read is comments from his agent. Times are slow. Reporters/Journalists need things to talk about. So they contact Grants agent and ask about his contract discussions and BAM you have a story.

It was just some questions from journalists to his agent.

Maybe I'm being "naive" or "ignorant" as some non-objective people like to throw out there, but I go on facts, not presumptions. :shock:

I agree Zero...However I'm going to toss this out

How come Grant hasn't released a statement saying what his agent said insn't true?

Reaction score

How come Grant hasn't released a statement saying what his agent said insn't true?

LT, if you read only the quote from the agent in the Packersnews article, then you'll see it isn't anything big that Grant would need to reply to.

Grant's agent basically said Grant wants to be a Packer for longer than the next year, Grant wants a long-term contract that both he (Grant) and his agent feel will be worked out because the Packers have proven to be a team that takes care of their own players. That is why Grant is participating (and will continue to do so) in the off-season voluntary workouts.

What part should Grant come out and say isn't true? That he wants to be a Packer for more than one year? That the Packers take care of their own players? That he (Grant) is participating in the voluntary off-season workouts?

The agent basically said Grant wants to be here for a while, he is working out with the team in the off-season, and will continue to do so because he feels the Packers will take care of him.

I'd be a little worried if Grant released a statement saying the above isn't true.

Reaction score
Ryan Grant says he will not play for league minimum

Please read what Grant's agent said, not what the Packers news writer(s) added.

Below quotes are directly from Grant's agent:

I'm optimistic we're going to move along here and get something done

...everything that's coming out of Green Bay in terms of the club taking care of their own, I'm optimistic, and that's why Ryan is there at this point.

(Grant) is there to participate in everything they do (in the offseason)

NOTE - the last quote, the stuff in the brackets is from the Packersnews staff writer that spoke to Grant's agent, I haven't added anything.

...opportunity for the Packers and Ryan Grant to get together on something that will keep him there for the rest of his career.

In the article, Grant did NOT ask for a big-time money contract nor did Grant say that he would only play if he got more money.

Reaction score
Grant's agent optimistic about long-term contract with Pack

I've changed the title to something more appropriate, more reflective of what Grant's agent said.

The old title "Ryan Grant says he will not play for league minimum" was not reflective of the truth, as contained within the article.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

dont sign a contract unless you intend to uphold it.

He upheld it. Hell, it was NYG's contract.

Now it's up to GB to show him the money.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:
We gave him his shot, and you DON'T repay the team thats giving you a chance to become a multi millionaire by "dissing" them for not just handing you a fat contract based on a few games. PROVE that you deserve it, THEN cry if they don't treat you fairly.

Where is he crying? All I've read is comments from his agent. Times are slow. Reporters/Journalists need things to talk about. So they contact Grants agent and ask about his contract discussions and BAM you have a story.

Maybe I'm being "naive" or "ignorant" as some non-objective people like to throw out there, but I go on facts, not presumptions. :shock:
You are right Zero.........i think i jumped the gun, assuming that what was being said was true. It might be true, it might not, and i should have known better then to go on reports that i myself have not reviewed.
I think it's a result of so many "me first" players we have seen lately in all major league sports.
I apologize for throwing my opinion out there, without researching the facts first. :oops:

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant's agent seeking long-term contract with Packers

Somebody mentioned that Grant does not have a contract. I think that's true. My understanding is that the Packers have the rights to him for a couple more years, and all they are required to do is to pay him the league minimum. If this is true, it means that Grant would not be "holding out" if he didn't report for training camp. It would just mean that he was deciding not to play. He would then be taking his chances. Management would then decide whether to make him an offer or move on without him.

Hopefully we won't get to that point, but it's an important distinction. Maybe the best comparison is to Bubba Franks three years ago. His contract expired and Thompson lowballed him by putting the transition tag on him. Franks did not report for training camp, and when it became apparent that the Packers had no other quality tight ends, Thompson ended up OVERPAYING Bubba to get him back on the field. I'm guessing Ted learned something from that little adventure and will be more proactive with Ryan Grant.

V

Vikeman

Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

Packers shouldn't pay him that much, he benefited from that passing attack big time. He's not going to break 4 ypc next season even if he does sign.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Long Term Deal

Packers shouldn't pay him that much, he benefited from that passing attack big time. He's not going to break 4 ypc next season even if he does sign.

how would a Viking fan know what a passing attack is?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

You are right Zero.........i think i jumped the gun, assuming that what was being said was true. It might be true, it might not, and i should have known better then to go on reports that i myself have not reviewed.
I think it's a result of so many "me first" players we have seen lately in all major league sports.
I apologize for throwing my opinion out there, without researching the facts first. :oops:

No need to apologize to me, geez its ME. I think I've done more than my fair share of 'jump the gun' posts lol.

Like you said, it might be true, but also it might not be true. I just try to take everything from the horses mouth so to speak. If it was a statement being released by his agent, then I'd be a little uneasy. But these words were from his agent, who's job is btw to make his client money because then HE makes money, more money. An agent gets something like 3% of the players salary. OF course his agent wants him better paid.

An argument will be posted as to "why hasnt Grant came out and defunct the comments made by his agent?". Why should he? He hired his agent to get him the best possible deal. If he interferes with the process he could simply cost himself lots of cash.

If there was a huge backlash of "OMG grant is selfish, he's just in it for the money" etc... he might then say something to level the field.

I've done a lot of reading of articles and interviews as well as viewed them. This is just another journalist doing their job. Asking questions and getting answers. It'd be different if Ryan was the one making the comments, but he's not. His agent did.

Again, Ryan Grant will NOT miss anytime due to his contract.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
So? That's fine. After it got leaked he pretty much denied it and said "It's between me and the team" or something like that. THAT'S how you handle it. He was supposedly complaining in-house bigtime, and that's where you do it. You cry and whine and **** and moan, TO THE TEAM (and well, your friends I guess), not state your diehard position with in a statement with your agent. No. Bad Grant. I forgive him cuz he's young though.

Trom, YOU ARE A LIAR! You are not 23 years of age.

There is way too much wisdom in your post "Response" above for a 23 year old kid. :shock:

I think you just nailed it. Right on the head. End of discussion. There is no argument against. your post above.

Thank you.

I'm sure it will all work out. No way the Packers let this bump in the road damage anything.

And one thing I've learned is to don't judge a man by his age, but by the things he's seen.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vikeman said:

Heh.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

I bet he stays healthy more then A.P. (although I do like him) barring a serious season ending injury.

:pop: :pop: :pop:

Reaction score
Grant's agent seeking long-term contract with Packers

^ I give up.

Go ahead thinking there is some problem with Grant when there isn't.

There is not a problem because Grant hasn't done anything wrong, or sent the wrong message to the Packers through the media asking for more money or threatening to hold out.

His agent didn't even do that. There is no issue for the Packers, other than Grant wanting to be here long-term.

V

Vikeman

Vikeman said:

I've seen one in Minnesota before I think

V

Vikeman

Vikeman said:

I bet he stays healthy more then A.P. (although I do like him) barring a serious season ending injury.

Maybe...but Peterson's knee was more of a freak injury then anything...and he came back two weeks later....which is unheard of today.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score

DoddPower said:
Vikeman said:

Maybe...but Peterson's knee was more of a freak injury then anything...and he came back two weeks later....which is unheard of today.

Yeah, I really hope he stays healthy, something just tells me he's going to have some problems. Let's hope not though!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan said:
Vikeman said:

I've seen one in Minnesota before I think
Oh.....thats right.......he has seen Favre play there once a year for the last 16 years, so he would recognize one! :wink: :lol:

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

I agree Zero...However I'm going to toss this out

I'm a little confused here, because I actually addressed that specific statement, but I think they merged the threads in a goofy way.

cheesey said:
Zero2Cool said:
cheesey said:

No need to apologize to me, geez its ME. I think I've done more than my fair share of 'jump the gun' posts lol.

Like you said, it might be true, but also it might not be true. I just try to take everything from the horses mouth so to speak. If it was a statement being released by his agent, then I'd be a little uneasy. But these words were from his agent, who's job is btw to make his client money because then HE makes money, more money. An agent gets something like 3% of the players salary. OF course his agent wants him better paid.

An argument will be posted as to "why hasnt Grant came out and defunct the comments made by his agent?". Why should he? He hired his agent to get him the best possible deal. If he interferes with the process he could simply cost himself lots of cash.

If there was a huge backlash of "OMG grant is selfish, he's just in it for the money" etc... he might then say something to level the field.

I've done a lot of reading of articles and interviews as well as viewed them. This is just another journalist doing their job. Asking questions and getting answers. It'd be different if Ryan was the one making the comments, but he's not. His agent did.

Again, Ryan Grant will NOT miss anytime due to his contract.

:)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vikeman said:

Back in the 1970s, they had Fran Tarkington.

Members online

Latest posts