Grant's Agent Asking for Long Term Deal [merged threads]

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant Asking for Big Time Deal

By all means, TT...Be a cheap tightwad and let him go so we can pick up more trash from the dung heap.

Don't make the same mistake you did with Walker, this young man deserves more than the league minimum!
:lol:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Your TITLE says BIG TIME DEAL..

no WHERE in the article does it say that..It says LONG TERM

GRANT LOOKING TO LONG-TERM DEAL
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 25, 2008, 9:40 a.m.

Fresh off a season in which he went from the bottom of the Giants’ depth chart to the top of the Packers’ single-game postseason rushing list, running back Ryan Grant and his agent appear to be looking for a long-term deal.

“We’ll see what happens,” agent Alan Herman said, per Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette. “We’ll see if the organization is aggressive and wants to do the right thing, then you certainly reward a player and try to lock him up for the future.”

The only problem is that Grant doesn’t have a lot of leverage. He has been out of college for three years, but he was technically considered a rookie in 2007 because he spent his first year on the Giants’ practice squad and his second on the Giants’ non-football injury list. He made the league minimum of $310,000 in the 2007 season, and he still has two years before he can be a free agent.

Dougherty reports that the Packers might simply tender him at the second-year minimum of $370,000 in 2008, and the third-year minimum of $460,000 in 2009.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson wouldn’t address Grant’s contract situation, other than to say, “We’ve spent a lot of effort and time addressing some of the fellas that are a little bit more veteran in terms of doing contract extensions, but as we grow as a team and these young guys move through their initial contracts, we’ll address those as we go along, sure.”

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Grant Asking for Big Time Deal

Long term deal OK.

There is no guarantee that he is going to be the starter at the beginning of next season. Give him minimum but add some incentives for games started and yards.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Long term deal OK.

There is no guarantee that he is going to be the starter at the beginning of next season. Give him minimum but add some incentives for games started and yards.

Agreed. He isn't going anywhere.

Packers_Finland

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Cmon guys, how can you really say he doesn't deserve better than league minimum. Did you miss the later part of the season?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He can't go anywhere. He either plays for what we offer for the next two years or doesn't play at all. That being said, I hope we try to sign him to a somewhat more substantial deal (like what Willie Parker signed a couple years ago).

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Packers_Finland said:
Cmon guys, how can you really say he doesn't deserve better than league minimum. Did you miss the later part of the season?

I think he ran great the last half of the season. How will he do next season? Should GB throw money out there that it doesn't need to?

Incentives for a good next season should be the way to go. Use the old carrot on the stick to keep the horse running. We can work out a better deal the following season providing he continues to produce.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is dumb. If Grant performs in '08 like he did for the second half of the '07 season, he'll get an extension in the '09 offseason, or early in the '09 regular season.

I say it's dumb cause he's not even close to the time in his contract to start talking long-term deal, as far as how TT makes extensions..

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score

By all means, TT...Be a cheap tightwad and let him go so we can pick up more trash from the dung heap.

Don't make the same mistake you did with Walker, this young man deserves more than the league minimum!

Good point Fuzz.

Perhaps if Walker was on the Packers I.R. all season in-stead of the Bronco's I.R. list we would have beat the Giants. Walker was the one missing link. Freaking T.T.

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wonder how much of this was Grant's idea. Maybe his agent decided to "rattle the saber" and see what Green Bay says.

I don't understand the idea of going public with this though. Uneccessary.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:

Good point Fuzz.

Perhaps if Walker was on the Packers I.R. all season in-stead of the Bronco's I.R. list we would have beat the Giants. Walker was the one missing link. Freaking T.T.

Yeah, if by "pick up trash" it was meant "pick up guys of Grant's production", and "the dung heap" is code for the Super Bowl-bound Giants, I couldn't agree more with this type of call to action!

TT YOU SONOFABISCUIT, BRING IN MORE RYAN GRANTS!!!!!!

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score

:lol:

Hey, I think this is appropriate:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A half a season does not a career make.
Now.......I'm NOT saying let him go. He has shown he CAN run, when there is good blocking (which was MIA in the title game) but how much is he worth? I really don't know.
I'm not really worried about it at this time. I really think it will be worked out in the end.
The "TT haters" are just getting another opportunity to yell "TT is a cheapskate" with this coming out in the public. Even though it's NOT like nothing is getting done, and it's a LOOOOONG time till the season starts. If this is not done by training camp, THEN go ahead and get worked up about it. But geez, it's JANUARY for crying out loud.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The "TT haters" are just getting another opportunity to yell "TT is a cheapskate" with this coming out in the public. Even though it's NOT like nothing is getting done, and it's a LOOOOONG time till the season starts. If this is not done by training camp, THEN go ahead and get worked up about it. But geez, it's JANUARY for crying out loud.

I really think there is only one "TT hater" left in our midst.

On topic, I think Grant deserves some type of compensation for his production this year. I won't like it if we only give him the one-year minimum. He deserves a 3-year-type deal, IMO. If he produces the next 2 years, he'll get another raise.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

cheesey said:

I really think there is only one "TT hater" left in our midst.

On topic, I think Grant deserves some type of compensation for his production this year. I won't like it if we only give him the one-year minimum. He deserves a 3-year-type deal, IMO. If he produces the next 2 years, he'll get another raise.
Oh, i agree. He was our best back, and should get compensated for it. But he hasn't proven to be a long time great back. Heck, Samkon Gado had a great half season too. You can't just throw tons of money to anyone that has a few good games. But he DOES deserve a raise.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:

Good point Fuzz.

Yeah RP..

Let's **** off Grant and make him hold out so we can get no production out of the running game again for 6 games from Morency, B-Jack, and Wynn by TT being a tightwad, cheapskate and paying the second leading rusher in the NFL next to LaDanian Tomlinson this year the league minimum...!

Real Genius move there...right?
:thumbsup:

Walker was good in '06 and he will be good again...

Mark my words.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Raider Pride said:
Fuzznuts said:

Good point Fuzz.

Yeah RP..

Let's **** off Grant and make him hold out so we can get no production out of the running game again for 6 games from Morency, B-Jack, and Wynn by TT being a tightwad, cheapskate and paying the second leading rusher in the NFL next to LaDanian Tomlinson this year the league minimum...!

Mark my words.
I don't get it.......TT puts together a team that goes 13-3, wins the division, wins a playoff game, loses the NFC title game in overtime, and STILL is called a "tightwad". Yeah.....TT is a real idiot. :roll:
How many here were thinking seriously that we would get THAT far?
I also wonder how many would have hoped we would have tanked the season and went 3-13 just so they could say "SEE!?!? TT is no good!"
But TT goes and screws that up by making us the second best team in the whole NFC.
DAMN that TT!!!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Come on folks, you knew this was comming, but he has no leverage at this point at all.. hopefully they work some middle ground out for a year or two and his contract expires when he can become a Free Agent..

Then if he has proven himself to be what we think he is, a feature RB, then lock him up to a long term deal.

But lets be honest here.. Grant has shown he can get it done inside our offense so he should get an adjustment in his contract. But he is far from a polished all-around back yet.. needs to work on the recieving skills so we don't have to run Jackson or Mo in there every time we want to run a screen. And he needs to become a better blocker in blitz pickup as well..

We are holdind all the cards at this point.. but lets be fair about this and adjust his deal with an expiration date around the end of his third tenured deal..

As far as the TT war.. I beg that this isn't going to be another offseason of this crap. We all know there is work to do yet.. lets see how it turns out.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fuzznuts said:
Raider Pride said:
Fuzznuts said:

Good point Fuzz.

Yeah RP..

Mark my words.
I don't get it.......TT puts together a team that goes 13-3, wins the division, wins a playoff game, loses the NFC title game in overtime, and STILL is called a "tightwad". Yeah.....TT is a real idiot. :roll:
How many here were thinking seriously that we would get THAT far?
I also wonder how many would have hoped we would have tanked the season and went 3-13 just so they could say "SEE!?!? TT is no good!"
But TT goes and screws that up by making us the second best team in the whole NFC.
DAMN that TT!!!

I rather be cheap and draft good then blow money around like it grows on trees and draft terrible.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ryan Grant was who we THOUGHT he was....

Pork,

Would you rather **** off your leading rusher when you had no rushing game to speak of in six games by being cheap and paying the league minimum, or make an adjustment to his salary to keep him happy and contributing in GB?

Staff online

Members online