Flynn haters are quiet..

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember anyone saying they hated Flynn but do agree that as of today against a really, really bad Vikings team. Flynn was the right call.

I would imagine he gets the start against the Lions next week as I doubt Rodgers will be cleared to go.
Agree. I had questions myself but we just can't throw dirt on what Rodell said.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he can,t complain, he became a millionaire, and now he is back up again, when we need him…..
That's not true. He can complain, especially if he wins some games. I don't see him being Rodger's 'Doug Pederson', he's too young and talented.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. Still waiting on the ppl who downed Flynn to admit that..but they probably wont.
Yeah.
Where are all those voices who kept on calling for Flynn when Wallace was going to start?
Why did they shut up when Tolzien was going to start?
Where the heck did all the Flynn lovers go?
Will anyone be calling for Tolzien to start if Flynn gets the nod against Detroit?

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah.
Where are all those voices who kept on calling for Flynn when Wallace was going to start?
Why did they shut up when Tolzien was going to start?
Where the heck did all the Flynn lovers go?
Will anyone be calling for Tolzien to start if Flynn gets the nod against Detroit?
Answer to last Question. No

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It's still a tad early Roddell, if Flynn had come in and basically demolished the vikes and we won 48 - 23, then you would be correct. He did help to bring us back, but couldnt pull the trigger on the win in real time or OT and we had a couple chances. The real Flynn test comes on turkey day, he can pass that test, then it's for real. I am not a flynn hater, I think he should have never left, but then I am not a GM.

Besides, out of all the outlandish posts you make, and normally end up getting flammed for them and you being WRONG, you get one prediction that you think is correct so far and you have to make an entire "I told ya so" thread? Wow, enjoy your simple in your own mind win.
Fact of the matter is we still didnt win, a tie is not a win, nor a loss. So hold your told ya so's for another 4 days.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never really saw any Flynn "haters" out there.
Considering his inability to stick with 2 lousy QB challenged teams, there were some doubters.
Doubt and "hate" are 2 different animals.
I think most Packers fans "hated" to see Flynn leave Green Bay for the Seahawks.
He was a well respected backup in Green Bay at the time of his exit.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I never really saw any Flynn "haters" out there.
Considering his inability to stick with 2 lousy QB challenged teams, there were some doubters.
Doubt and "hate" are 2 different animals.
I think most Packers fans "hated" to see Flynn leave Green Bay for the Seahawks.
He was a well respected backup in Green Bay at the time of his exit.

Very well said good sir.

H

HardRightEdge

It appears Flynn signed for the vet minimum....$715,000. Assuming he lasts for the remainder of the season, his pay for the partial year will be about $295,000:

http://www.overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Packers&Year=2013

My thoughts on Flynn when he left GB, recalled since then on several occasions, was that he had an adequate arm, good field presence, and that he's a gamer, with a potential upside for a Matt Hasselbeck-type career.

Since then, rumors of arm issues and a 9-5 approach to preparation (or barring those problems perhaps off-field problems) were credibly supported by a rapid journey through 3 teams, 2 of which having serious issues at the position.

The fact Oakland ate a considerable amount of dead cap money when they cut him in short order, this being a team with historical levels of dead cap to start with, in order to go with an unproven starter without "distractions" should have been very concerning.

For icing on the cake, the fact he could not bump either Thad Lewis or Jeff Tuel from the #3 spot in Buffalo when Manual returned from injury was difficult to ignore.

Being skeptical about how Flynn would work out again in GB was reasonable. Binary thinking on this matter, either pro or con, would not have been sound. There's nothing to brag about over winning a coin flip.

Now, it appears there's nothing wrong with Flynn...we got the same guy who left 2 years ago, with the "gamer" attribute on display.

I draw out two working theses on the Flynn matter:

1. Flynn does not have a good football mind and is not a quick study of the game. This would account for his rapid departure from teams that wanted production NOW. At LSU, he spent 2 years red shirting and on the bench before being called upon to take over for an injured #1 in his 3rd. year.

In Green Bay, he sat on the bench for 2 years before being called upon for his first start to fill in for an injured Rodgers in his 3rd. year.

There is a pattern there.

Flynn's prior experience with the system is at work and leapfrogs the slow study issues. But that advantage was never in doubt...the track record and injury rumors should have given reasonable observers some pause.

2. If he's had a arm issue, it does not appear to be bothering him now. That's not to say the rumored elbow tendonitis was fictitious or won't crop up again. That type of problem can be chronic, flaring here and there, and might be related to a mechanical glitch that makes steady practice and game work a risk.

As it stands today, Flynn could be a savior of this season and perhaps our Zeke Bratkowski or Frank ***** for a few years to come. I doubt anybody will take a chance on him again as a purported or competing #1 going into a season. TT will have to come around to the thinking that having a #2 vet who makes a little money, rather than cheap and unproven youngsters, is the way to start OTAs.

Last edited by a moderator:

gbpack12_2_89

Bleeding Green and Gold
Reaction score
Sweet " I told you so" thread after one game...
I should make a "I told you so" thread that the refs would call a holding penalty and bash anyone that had a different opinion.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears Flynn signed for the vet minimum....$715,000. Assuming he lasts for the remainder of the season, his pay for the partial year will be about $295,000:

My thoughts on Flynn when he left GB, recalled since then on several occasions, was that he had an adequate arm, good field presence, and that he's a gamer, with a potential upside for a Matt Hasselbeck-type career.

Since then, rumors of arm issues and a 9-5 approach to preparation (or barring those problems perhaps off-field problems) were credibly supported by a rapid journey through 3 teams, 2 of which having serious issues at the position.

The fact Oakland ate a considerable amount of dead cap money when they cut him in short order, this being a team with historical levels of dead cap to start with, in order to go with an unproven starter without "distractions" should have been very concerning.

For icing on the cake, the fact he could not bump either Thad Lewis or Jeff Tuel from the #3 spot in Buffalo when Manual returned from injury was difficult to ignore.

Being skeptical about how Flynn would work out again in GB was reasonable. Binary thinking on this matter, either pro or con, would not have been sound. There's nothing to brag about over winning a coin flip.

Now, it appears there's nothing wrong with Flynn...we got the same guy who left 2 years ago, with the "gamer" attribute on display.

1. Flynn does not have a good football mind and is not a quick study of the game. This would account for his rapid departure from teams that wanted production NOW. At LSU, he spent 2 years red shirting and on the bench before being called upon to take over for an injured #1 in his 3rd. year.

In Green Bay, he sat on the bench for 2 years before being called upon for his first start to fill in for an injured Rodgers in his 3rd. year.

Flynn's prior experience with the system is at work and leapfrogs the slow study issues. But that advantage was never in doubt...the track record and injury rumors should have given reasonable observers some pause.

2. If he's had a arm issue, it does not appear to be bothering him now. That's not to say the rumored elbow tendonitis was fictitious or won't crop up again. That type of problem can be chronic, flaring here and there, and might be related to a mechanical glitch that makes steady practice and game work a risk.

As it stands today, Flynn could be a savior of this season and perhaps our Zeke Bratkowski or Frank ***** for a few years to come. I doubt anybody will take a chance on him again as a purported or competing #1 going into a season. TT will have to come around to the thinking that having a #2 vet who makes a little money, rather than cheap and unproven youngsters, is the way to start OTAs.

Thanks for the rational analysis.

Not sure about all the Flynn haters. I never had any hatred for the man, just some skepticism after these last couple years. Flynn just seems to click in this offense, though. I'm glad for his success and it's great to feel like we've got a bit of juice back in the offense. Maybe Matt is our long-term solution at backup QB.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still a tad early Roddell, if Flynn had come in and basically demolished the vikes and we won 48 - 23, then you would be correct. He did help to bring us back, but couldnt pull the trigger on the win in real time or OT and we had a couple chances. The real Flynn test comes on turkey day, he can pass that test, then it's for real. I am not a flynn hater, I think he should have never left, but then I am not a GM.

Besides, out of all the outlandish posts you make, and normally end up getting flammed for them and you being WRONG, you get one prediction that you think is correct so far and you have to make an entire "I told ya so" thread? Wow, enjoy your simple in your own mind win.
Fact of the matter is we still didnt win, a tie is not a win, nor a loss. So hold your told ya so's for another 4 days.

I said Flynn was the better option . That turned out to be TRUE. I said Flynn could at least score point's. Also TRUE. I said Flynn knew the playbook and could run the offense better. Also TRUE. I never said we would win the game just that he gave us the best chance to win. Oh, that was TRUE as well. We ended up being tied in a game we should've lost. So nope...i'll stick with the "i told ya so". If a persons right they are right.

H

HardRightEdge

If a persons right they are right.

Not quite.

I can flip a coin, call "heads" and have it come up that way. I can say stock "XYZ is going to the moon" and have it come out that way.

But without a considered rationale, presented in advance, there is no way to evaluate whether that's a product of luck and blind guessing or a product of acute insight. How you would have known Flynn had no issues that bear on his play for the Packers with yellow flags all over the place escapes me.

Further, if by Wednesday Flynn complains of tenderness in his elbow, or if it emerges after a Thursday that a poor performance against Detroit is attributed to said problem, etc., etc., will we hear a full recantation?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I just want to know why Flynn does better here then he does with other teams.
And why Green Bay is the only team that gives him the chances that they do.
I hope that Oakland and Buffalo will be kicking themselves.
Meaning that he is awesome again with the Packers.
I'm just glad that he was available when he was.
Such a crazy coincidence.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
For the record, I have been a "bring back Matt" supporter since he became available, only because I thought it was our best option at the time. But I am also not going to start making Super Bowl plans based on a "good" performance by him yesterday. What he showed yesterday, was the ability of an average quarterback, with experience AND a good working knowledge of the GB system (something I think Tolzien lacks at present). We also have to keep in mind that he came in trailing by 16 and facing a soft defense that mentally had the win, we have seen our defense many times in this mode. So lets hold our collective breaths and hope we are all are not eating Crow on T-Day for hitching our wagons to tight to him.

In Rodgers We Roll.........

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not quite.

I can flip a coin, call "heads" and have it come up that way. I can say stock "XYZ is going to the moon" and have it come out that way.

But without a considered rationale, presented in advance, there is no way to evaluate whether that's a product of luck and blind guessing or a product of acute insight. How you would have known Flynn had no issues that bear on his play for the Packers with yellow flags all over the place escapes me.

Further, if by Wednesday Flynn complains of tenderness in his elbow, or if it emerges after a Thursday that a poor performance against Detroit is attributed to said problem, etc., etc., will we hear a full recantation?

Haha. Some of you guys kill me man..look for any excuse not to give a person credit. Comparing the situation to a coin flip? I made an assessment based on the games i saw Flynn play in as a Packer vs the ones Tolzien played in. Flynn looked more comfortable and had a better grasp on the offense period. You dont have to do that when you flip a coin..my 5 yr old can yell heads or tales.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Flynn is obviously an example of a "system" quarterback.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Better late than never I guess.
Should have signed Flynn the moment Oakland released him.

What more did the guy have to prove, show, here in this system, this offense, other than setting a franchise all-time record, not Starr, Farve, or Rodgers, and oh by the way WINNING the game.
He also played great AT New England, in primetime, in a big game, his first start.

What more should he have done?
He had like 9 or 10 TDs in those 2 games.

Seriously?
Forget what he did or didn't do in Oakland or Buffalo. Those programs are jokes.

And I, 5 years ago, started out as a Flynn-Hater.
I liked Brian Brohm more.
But I didn't let my pre-conceived notions fool what he did, and the facts showed.

I'm amazed Teddy Thompson was so stubborn and tried to keep avoiding bringing Flynn back that long.
Thank God Wallace got hurt and took himself out of the game. That forced TT to let MM get his guy back.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Add in that reggie mckenzie studied matt in college.. Knew all about him AND still cut him, with all that money owed makes no sense