Fire MM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This team has the stink of an 8-7-1 team. Or maybe even (god forbid) 6-9-1.

If this is the case, what possible reason would there be to bring MM back? We simply accept the team hasn't gelled yet because of the assemblage of new moving parts?

Ands the more I think about it, the more PO'd I am about this "entitlement" thing.

On a site packed (???) with fellow Packer fans, I have to justify the feeling of "entitlement" to have a decent professional football team?

We should all just accept losing and mediocrity?
This game WAS our playoffs. I’m sorry MM obviously doesn’t see it that way.
We looked worse than mediocre during the second half and we were coached right out of this one.
You don’t challenge an incompletion that takes away opponent points? You then punt the ball away to the #1 rushing team in the league with a few minutes left and down by just 3 points? We were in 4 down territory that last drive, we couldn’t stop their running game all day and we suddenly double down that they will continue trying to pass the ball?? Seattle was winning with a couple minutes left why in earths name would they challenge us with the pass when all they have to do is revert back to the only thing they’ve done successful all day! All year for that matter!!!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After watching this game, I am fully convinced that McCarthy is coaching scared and like a deer in the headlights. It feels like he is coaching off of a tape in his head and forgetting what is actually happening around him. I am also convinced that Philbin was brought in as a sacrificial lamb, if he has any input in this offense all it has been is a nod of his head and him saying "sure Mike, sounds like a good idea to me."

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought this thread might start heating up, look fellas we are highly successful losers. A lot of variables in that but but we just need to learn from our pad level.
just remember if you get fired... you will have to go lol.

Reaction score
I counted over 150+ yards lost that were in direct correlation to fouls that we committed.
Forget about the 70+ yards of erased plays for a second.
The announcers were condemning Seattle for their 1st 5 fouls.
At the half Seattle had 5-25 yards
GB had 3 infractions for 60 yards!

Which is worse?? It’s like even the announcers don’t get the philosophy that 1 ST penalty can net more than -50 negative yards (or much worse if it’s a scoring play).
This team continues to turn a blind eye towards the results of poor discipline. They have no idea how to fix it, so they just eliminate the player if they fumble or whatever, in what I now believe is frustration leading to correction by desperation vs discipline.

Last edited:

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sucks to be on this bandwagon because McDouble seems like a decent person who takes his job seriously and having success here, he's just not very good at his current job. Looking forward to offseason already.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some might feel that they’ve waited too long to make this move, and I understand that thought process, but I do think that when it comes time to hire, the Packers’ stability will be a big selling point to attract coveted coaches. If Green Bay and, say, Tampa have offers on the table to the same you, you know which contract he’s signing.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A playoff game where we only had three days to prepare. But whatever.

My main concern with firing McCarthy is then that probably means we lose Pettine also. Head coaches generally have the luxury of choosing their own coordinators, and what kind of quality coach are we going to get if we tell applicants that they won't even have the power to do that? If we fire McCarthy, we can't handcuff the next coach coming in.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A playoff game where he decided his tired and injury depeleted defense had a better chance at making a stop than Rodgers had at gaining 2 yards.

Mind you, if the defense makes the stop, Rodgers still needed to drive down the field.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Friday’s press conference and got some insight to what Philbin may be doing. When MM was asked about the decision to punt,he said that was based off of the decision given to him by upstairs based on recommendations from the staff. When asked who gave him the info,MM said “I don’t want to bring his name into it” and in the same breath said “Joe Philbin” On the non challenge he said they didn’t have any video to watch to see if he caught it and also blamed it on lack of replays at the stadium. SMH. How does no one have a tv upstairs to watch stuff like this?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Friday’s press conference and got some insight to what Philbin may be doing. When MM was asked about the decision to punt,he said that was based off of the decision given to him by upstairs based on recommendations from the staff. When asked who gave him the info,MM said “I don’t want to bring his name into it” and in the same breath said “Joe Philbin” On the non challenge he said they didn’t have any video to watch to see if he caught it and also blamed it on lack of replays at the stadium. SMH. How does no one have a tv upstairs to watch stuff like this?
after all these years i'm still not clear on this either. I've heard at home they have all the stadium replays, but on the road they only have the broadcast replays? Then i've heard whatever the home team has the visiting team also has to have access to. Is it a league controlled replay? or do they have a tablet they can see all the "broadcast" angles or the stadium review angles? You can't really trust what broadcasters say because half the time they're just talking without even knowing what they're saying anymore. So, anyone know for sure how this works?

But regardless, I have to admit, they way they're calling things these days, who even knows what they would have ruled. Thought it was a clear non-catch, but not including Packer games, I've seen about 4 other replays in the last month that I thought were pretty clear one way, and they went the other.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A playoff game where he decided his tired and injury depeleted defense had a better chance at making a stop than Rodgers had at gaining 2 yards.

Mind you, if the defense makes the stop, Rodgers still needed to drive down the field.
I agree.... he should have gone for it... However... In the last few games.... think back how many 3rd and short did he Packers convert? The long TD pass to Tonyan comes to mind.... Even that one frustrated me... I liked the TD but was not happy that apparently just getting the first down was not an option.. but heaving it downfield was.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My main concern with firing McCarthy is then that probably means we lose Pettine also. Head coaches generally have the luxury of choosing their own coordinators, and what kind of quality coach are we going to get if we tell applicants that they won't even have the power to do that? If we fire McCarthy, we can't handcuff the next coach coming in.

How long did the other guys have?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I can't help to think that just a couple years ago we were one Bostick short of a Super Bowl. There have been repeat playoff appearances, etc. So the Packers have been doing something right. I know some say it isn't fair to compare the team to New England, but let's face it, New England is the gold standard right now. They seem to have a coach who goes for the throat and an office system that skillfully combines draft with trading. McCarthy is only one faulty cog in several, in my opinion. These past years of "draft and develop" have produced a team just good enough to be playoff caliber, yet bad enough to be Bosticked. Perhaps there should be a total, merciless overhaul of the system. Just thinking out loud.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Those that don't think 3td down conv don't mean anything.. Even if Rodgers has 0 int.. not converting 3rd down is as good (or as bad) as a turn over.. And how many passes in the dirt, over thrown or thrown away on 3rd down.

It does matter!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long did the other guys have?
We were on the road though, so it's harder on us.
Don't get me wrong, McCarthy's time in Green Bay is likely up.
I just wouldn't judge him solely on one short week Thursday night game on the road.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We looked worse than mediocre during the second half and we were coached right out of this one.
You don’t challenge an incompletion that takes away opponent points? You then punt the ball away to the #1 rushing team in the league with a few minutes left and down by just 3 points? We were in 4 down territory that last drive, we couldn’t stop their running game all day and we suddenly double down that they will continue trying to pass the ball?? Seattle was winning with a couple minutes left why in earths name would they challenge us with the pass when all they have to do is revert back to the only thing they’ve done successful all day! All year for that matter!!!!!
Another reason that punt was a stupid call - Daniels was clearly out for the game and Kenny Clark was limping. Really a stupid, stupid call.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were on the road though, so it's harder on us.
Don't get me wrong, McCarthy's time in Green Bay is likely up.
I just wouldn't judge him solely on one short week Thursday night game on the road.
Good point. Thursday was just a microcosm of MM’s coaching going back to 2014. The NFCC was lost in large part becasue MM decided to play not to lose. The game should have been over with Burnett’s INT, and MM goes conservative. Now there were a LOT of other reasons they lost that game, not all on MM. But you NEVER see the Pats go conservative with a big lead. As we’ve seen, big leads can get erased quickly. I digress. MM has to go.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thursday was just a microcosm of MM’s coaching going back to 2014. The NFCC was lost in large part becasue MM decided to play not to lose. The game should have been over with Burnett’s INT, and MM goes conservative.
It's odd that McCarthy is so conservative, and yet is so quick to abandon the run. I guess he's only conservative when he wants to be.
Then there's the idea that both he and Rodgers goes for the home run ball too much - again not a conservative trait.
McCarthy has an odd combination of quirks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's odd that McCarthy is so conservative, and yet is so quick to abandon the run. I guess he's only conservative when he wants to be.
Then there's the idea that both he and Rodgers goes for the home run ball too much - again not a conservative trait.
McCarthy has an odd combination of quirks.

While I get this line of thought and "criticism" of MM, its usually done in hindsight and only after it has failed. Take the decision to punt with 4 minutes and one timeout on Thursday night. After the fact, most of us agree that the Packers should have gone for it, but had the punt been fumbled or the defense got a stop and either scenario ended up winning the game, would everyone still be questioning the decision? Or had the Packers failed on 4th down? I'm guessing in both Rodgers and MM's time in GB, that exact scenario played out in the same way (Packers punt) with the opposite results (Packers win).

I can be as critical of coaching as the next guy, but I also admit that those coaching decisions are made in the heat of the battle, with very little time to mull them over and absolutely no crystal ball.

All that said, I'm ready to see MM gone, not because he has been a terrible coach, but I think he is currently a coach that is somewhat stuck and has a FHOF QB and offense that seems to be equally stuck. I look at what getting rid of capers did, it jump started a defense that seemed very stuck, time to do the same with the offense.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
While I get this line of thought and "criticism" of MM, its usually done in hindsight and only after it has failed. Take the decision to punt with 4 minutes and one timeout on Thursday night. After the fact, most of us agree that the Packers should have gone for it, but had the punt been fumbled or the defense got a stop and either scenario ended up winning the game, would everyone still be questioning the decision? Or had the Packers failed on 4th down? I'm guessing in both Rodgers and MM's time in GB, that exact scenario played out in the same way (Packers punt) with the opposite results (Packers win).

I can be as critical of coaching as the next guy, but I also admit that those coaching decisions are made in the heat of the battle, with very little time to mull them over and absolutely no crystal ball.

All that said, I'm ready to see MM gone, not because he has been a terrible coach, but I think he is currently a coach that is somewhat stuck and has a FHOF QB and offense that seems to be equally stuck. I look at what getting rid of capers did, it jump started a defense that seemed very stuck, time to do the same with the offense.
I’m not a big fan of the hindsight warriors, but there was no hindsight needed for me in this situation. I outlined several reasons why it was an awful decision for McCarthy to punt the ball in another thread. Very quickly, the injuries to the defense, the defense had just come off the field and was on the field most of the night, only 1 timeout, and even if you go for it and don’t get it, a 3 and out still only puts you down 6.

Situationally, McCarthy has never been great and he proved awful in this game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m not a big fan of the hindsight warriors, but there was no hindsight needed for me in this situation. I outlined several reasons why it was an awful decision for McCarthy to punt the ball in another thread. Very quickly, the injuries to the defense, the defense had just come off the field and was on the field most of the night, only 1 timeout, and even if you go for it and don’t get it, a 3 and out still only puts you down 6.

Situationally, McCarthy has never been great and he proved awful in this game.

Trust me, I was screaming all those things out loud that night when I saw the punt team line up. All I am saying is that it could have worked out and for people to say "don't punt and if we fail on 4th down and then stop them on a 3 and out, the worse that happens is they kick a FG." Well you are opening that door that a 3 and out is possible AND doing so at the Packers own what 25....gives the offense enough time to now score a TD. If we fail to pick up the 1st down and Seahawks score a TD, game over.

If I had to guess, MM wasn't overly confident in his offense at that point to pick up a first down, but most of us would have gambled that they would.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McCarthy, but he seems to be regressing, and he seems to get outcoached a lot.
The defense is still not where it needs to be, but at least there are signs that it is pointed in the right direction.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I like McCarthy, but he seems to be regressing, and he seems to get outcoached a lot.
The defense is still not where it needs to be, but at least there are signs that it is pointed in the right direction.
Agreed. He’s a guy right now that hasn’t adjusted very well to the “new” NFL.

Capers couldn’t adjust either.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If lose to Minny, I think they make a change just to end the speculation and have months to figure out who they want..

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If lose to Minny, I think they make a change just to end the speculation and have months to figure out who they want..
Interim coach? I can't imagine them firing McCarthy before the season is over.
Maybe on the last day of the regular season if we miss the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts