Fire MM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sense of entitlement...that I'd agree with.

And surely you'd agree that some degree of entitlement is not only normal but healthy. If not I can hook you up with a psychologist that can help you with that.

We (fans) invest our time, our energy and our passion to the sport.

I simply believe we're (all of us) are entitled to better play-calling and better performance than what we have been receiving.

Why even bother watching the game (and participating in this website) if you don't want the team to WIN?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a very wide difference between wanting them to win, and needing them to win for some sort of self validation.

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's a very wide difference between wanting them to win, and needing them to win for some sort of self validation.

I get all the validation I need from the EXTRAORDINARILY LARGE numbers on my paycheck and the EXTRAORDINARILY LARGE gamefish that join me as guest-of-honor on my dinner table.

Wow, snowflake generation meets Green Bay Packer fan forum?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get all the validation I need from the EXTRAORDINARILY LARGE numbers on my paycheck and the EXTRAORDINARILY LARGE gamefish that join me as guest-of-honor on my dinner table.

Wow, snowflake generation meets Green Bay Packer fan forum?
it would appear so, the bigger question is does this snowflake come with the gift self awareness LOL

H

HardRightEdge

And surely you'd agree that some degree of entitlement is not only normal but healthy. If not I can hook you up with a psychologist that can help you with that.

We (fans) invest our time, our energy and our passion to the sport.

I simply believe we're (all of us) are entitled to better play-calling and better performance than what we have been receiving.

Why even bother watching the game (and participating in this website) if you don't want the team to WIN?
You are entitled to what you deserve, by performance, by contact or by law. There's nothing crazy about that. Time, energy and passion are at your discretion. Fans of other teams are energized and passionate. It's a zero sum game, a winner for every loser. What entitles you to win more that the other guy?

We could put in in monetary terms, such as which fan base pays the most for tickets and stadium taxes relative to the local cost of living as measure of who is entitled to the better product, but that's not anything I'm going to figure out and that's not your argument anyway.

I want better performance. I want the team to win. We might call that aspiration to put a glossier sheen on it. But mere wanting is not entitlement and when somebody tries to makeit so is when "entitlement" gets it's pejoritive ring.

As for this web site participation. It's one retirement hobby among a few others. What goes into winning and losing, why this team does one or the other, is the analytical side of it which I happen to find interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if people who talk about their EXTRAORDINARILY LARGE paychecks on an Internet forum as compensating for something else that’s extraordinarily small.

H

HardRightEdge

Sometimes I wonder if people who talk about their EXTRAORDINARILY LARGE paychecks on an Internet forum as compensating for something else that’s extraordinarily small.
My income is DOUBLY EXTRAORDINARILY LARGE as is a key part of my anatomy. My wife is a part-time supermodel, a particle physicist and she gets big laughs at the stand-up open mic on the weekends. My children all take after their mother. I am extremely happy and fulfilled. I'd say my life is an uninterrupted living dream were it not for my anatomy sometimes preventing a comfortable position when driving my Rolls Royce Cullinan. I'll pull to the shoulder, make some adjustments, and then the dream lives on!

And nobody here can prove otherwise.

OP
OP
P

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many of us are shareholders here. As owners of the team, I think we are entitled to better than this.

H

HardRightEdge

Here's the picture taken from coaches film of the Rams safety. Once again, if the offensive line blocks Barron there's a good chance Jones gains a lot of yards on that run.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
In the NE game, again it was 1st. down backed up at the 1 with Jones on the carry (3rd. quarter, 7:02). It was a different defensive alignment with different blocking assignments, but essentially the same run to the same spot with Linsley sealing left (instead of Bell) and Bell/Spriggs sealing right (instead of Bulaga and whoever was next to him).

In the NE instance, the LB Roberts shot the gap, was unaccounted for as with Barron, but just missed on a diving tackle. And Bell threw himself late at Roberts just as Bulaga threw himself late at Barron.

Had Roberts cut Jones down, it probably wouldn't have been a safety, but maybe not more than a yard. The only difference was Roberts looks like he had a slighly deeper set than Barron, and slighly offset left of the hole wherease Barron was right in front of it.

Given we have two examples, I'm inclined to believe that not accounting for the ILB is intentional--punch open the hole (which they did in both cases) with the runner hitting it quick (which is probably why it was the quicker Jones and not Williams), beat the LB to the punch. The diving linemen coming off the double team look like reaction blocks if they see the LB coming to get at least a chip assist on him or screen him off.

Barron was just to well positioned and too quick. You can see him in his run blitz to the hole before the ball is even handed off and Bulaga couldn't get a glove on him. On the other side, I get the double team on Donald, but why the heck is there a lineman way out worrying about 96 on what is obviously a quick hitter to the hole.

All in all, this is pretty risky business.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Many of us are shareholders here. As owners of the team, I think we are entitled to better than this.

About the only thing that the stock certificate gives you over non-stockholders, is an extra square of Toilet paper in the event of a catastrophic event.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm a shareholder from the 1997 offering. I don't consider it an ownership stake in any meaningful sense of the word. More like a $215 non-deductible charitable contribution in exchange for a piece of paper with sentimental value. I had it framed and hung in my home office. I'm looking at it right now. So, we can vote for the board of directors. To whatever extent there are more board candidates than positions, we have that tiny input into how things are run, and thereby a tiny blame for what goes on.

When you get down it, buying that stock certificate was a small contribution to the cause, but it doesn't mean any more than some random out-of-towners rooting for the opposition who buy merch, concessions, parking, or whatever in the Titletown District that yields the Packers $215 net, or whatever that amounts to in today's dollars.

I understand the connection to the team. I understand wanting the team to be a winner. But I don't see where being a shareholder is an entitlement. Fans of other teams want them to be winners; some may feel equally entitled. Everybody can't be entitled in a zero sum game just as every team cannot be a winner.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

anyone off hand remember....when we actully beat a team with winning record. not this year...i dont think last year. was it dallas in the playoffs...with crosby kick? how about regualar season.

The Packers last win in the regular season vs. a team with a winning record came in week 17 of the 2016 season when they defeated the Lions to clinch the division. The team had five such wins during that season.

Is it true that Rodgers always travels ALONE to all road games, as mentioned by Cowherd? That's odd.

That's just plain and simply wrong. Just as an example here's a link to a gallery of the Packers arriving in Boston on Saturday. Rodgers is on the first picture in it.

https://www.packers.com/photos/phot...chusetts#1aca865d-73a7-4100-b3bf-02157b624cb6

Given we have two examples, I'm inclined to believe that not accounting for the ILB is intentional--punch open the hole (which they did in both cases) with the runner hitting it quick (which is probably why it was the quicker Jones and not Williams), beat the LB to the punch. The diving linemen coming off the double team look like reaction blocks if they see the LB coming to get at least a chip assist on him or screen him off.

I realized the Patriots came pretty close to a safety on the ply as well. It would be a terrible call if it's by design that the linebacker isn't blocked in my opinion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had not noticed that. I thought it was a line call adjustment for a defense in an "over" set.
I really haven't noticed it much this year either. It was a 2 year ago thing. My brother would always text me, RUN. It was our joke. but it was real

ShockwaveRider

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aye........I received an e-mail stating that my webcam had been hacked, and that videos of my extraordinarily small member would be pasted all over the internet unless I paid a large amount of "bitcoin".

Unfortunately I have NFC what "bitcoin" is.

I keep looking at ESPN every morning hoping to see "MM FIRED" but no luck thus far.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears that the 13-3 season that many of us predicted (myself included) just isn't happening this year is it.

Given that the Packers would have to go something like 7-1 to have any realistic chance of making the playoffs, does anybody REALLY believe they have a realistic chance of beating the Saints, Rams, Chiefs or Patriots in the playoffs anyway?

Might as well jettison TubCarthy and start over.

That qualifier might be the winner of the understatement-of-the-year award. :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers last win in the regular season vs. a team with a winning record came in week 17 of the 2016 season when they defeated the Lions to clinch the division. The team had five such wins during that season.

A pretty telling stat IMO.

That's just plain and simply wrong. Just as an example here's a link to a gallery of the Packers arriving in Boston on Saturday. Rodgers is on the first picture in it.

https://www.packers.com/photos/phot...chusetts#1aca865d-73a7-4100-b3bf-02157b624cb6

Nice to see a debunk of Cowturds accusation that AR was flying on his own. What isn't hard to notice and seems to be the way of most athletes and under 30 today, is almost everyone is tuned into their own world by wearing headphones/ear buds. Shakes my head.

I really haven't noticed it much this year either. It was a 2 year ago thing. My brother would always text me, RUN. It was our joke. but it was real
Not that I want to encourage Aaron to add anything else to his presnap repertoire, that too often finds him running out of play clock, but if this is the case and the defense knows the obvious audible, you would think QB's would start using that to their advantage and fake the call outs.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I've defended him but if he can't at least get this team in playoffs it's time to say bye bye.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've defended him but if he can't at least get this team in playoffs it's time to say bye bye.
I am in the same boat. A lot of people are saying that all the costly mistakes are spread equally across the team and MM shouldn't shoulder the full blame. While that may be true, what does that say about your coach when his players continue to make costly mental mistakes? This team too often looks a lot like the one last year after Rodgers went down, defeated before the game is over. Only way to correct that is to either go on a winning streak to regain confidence or reboot with new coaches and new energy.

I guess MM has 8 games to see if he can turn this around, if not, will probably be time to hand AR and the rest of the team over to some new coaches. If that does happen, I hope they can figure out a way to retain Pettine (not as head coach).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the probability of getting worse is higher than the other way. But it’s possible. And on a side note, after 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons with a hall of fame QB were they smart to move on? Or did they know what they had?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. A lot of people are saying that all the costly mistakes are spread equally across the team and MM shouldn't shoulder the full blame. While that may be true, what does that say about your coach when his players continue to make costly mental mistakes? This team too often looks a lot like the one last year after Rodgers went down, defeated before the game is over. Only way to correct that is to either go on a winning streak to regain confidence or reboot with new coaches and new energy.

I guess MM has 8 games to see if he can turn this around, if not, will probably be time to hand AR and the rest of the team over to some new coaches. If that does happen, I hope they can figure out a way to retain Pettine (not as head coach).

It's also true that this offense is inherently broken. Sure, it can succeed at times on the strength of personnel and execution, but it is no longer a competitive advantage. And that makes sense-- it's been a few years since the league caught up with McCarthy's approach and its off-shoots (e.g. Miami under Philbin, NY under McAdoo). Sometimes coaches can evolve with the times and prevent their scheme from becoming stale, sometimes they can't (or just don't).

I think people are correct when they say that Rodgers is part of the problem at times. However, the deeper issue is that he is no longer jiving with this system, and given the choice, you''re going to change the system, not the quarterback.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the probability of getting worse is higher than the other way. But it’s possible. And on a side note, after 3 consecutive 7-9 seasons with a hall of fame QB were they smart to move on? Or did they know what they had?

The Saints are a way different situation though-- through those lean years, Payton's offense was never broken. They were top 10 in points, top 2 in yards, and top 10 in DVOA all three years. Now he couldn't get the defensive staff figured out, and they rode with him through that. But he was consistently great with the side of the ball that belonged to him.

The Packers also rode with McCarthy through issues on defense. Now it would seem that they have the right guy in charge on that side and things are at least moving in the right direction, and McCarthy's offense is becoming a problem.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sometimes coaches can evolve with the times and prevent their scheme from becoming stale, sometimes they can't (or just don't).

I think this statement pretty much sums up my feelings on MM at this point. He seems to have fallen back on a coaches worst nightmare "if we stay healthy and if we execute, we will be good again, so why change?" Sure, those 2 things can be true, but relying on them to happen, while not making scheme changes leaves you running a highly predictable offense. If you compare what the Patriots did on offense with 3 starters out, with what the Packers did with 2 starters out, its night and day.

If you look at the other side of the ball, that was the biggest complaint about Capers, too steadfast in his schemes, whether they were working or not. Now with Pettine in there, we are seeing a defense that seems to actually be improving every week.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints are a way different situation though-- through those lean years, Payton's offense was never broken. They were top 10 in points, top 2 in yards, and top 10 in DVOA all three years. Now he couldn't get the defensive staff figured out, and they rode with him through that. But he was consistently great with the side of the ball that belonged to him.

The Packers also rode with McCarthy through issues on defense. Now it would seem that they have the right guy in charge on that side and things are at least moving in the right direction, and McCarthy's offense is becoming a problem.
How is Peyton's offense appreciably different today than say 5 years ago? or 3? or 10? swapped out for a new one? Defensive cordinators can't figure it out? I honestly don't know what they run. I do know that the 2 offenses everyone wants to be, the Saints and Rams, we don't compare too and not just because of production. We don't have anyone close to what Kamara makes defenses do or Gurley. We don't have small shifty receivers like the Rams. We have weapons and right now they're having trouble executing. If we have a screen pass set up and the QB throws it at his feet. Don't tell me the scheme is bad. If we don't have a running back that make defenses really take notice, we're at a disadvantage. And we are.

with the amount of times i've seen open receivers and not ball thrown to them, you can't tell me the scheme is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts