Fire Drayton

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we have on our hands is an organizational issue with special teams. We can change the coach (again) and I bet the results will hardly improve.

The FO went into the season with a bad to okay kicker, a terrible punter (massive bust), a terrible long snapper (bust), and literally no plan at returner.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't advocate Gute spending a high pick on a returner, but I'm not sold that the returner is the bulk of the problem.
I agree with the lack of a decent punt and kick returner isn't the only biggest issue, but I would also say it is part of the problem.

I laughed when the Bears spent a high 2nd rounder on Hester... but he became a weapon so I had to eat crow.
I think many questioned that, but as you said, it worked out really well for the Bears. When I look back at some of the past 2nd round and later picks, I would have loved a guy like Hester instead of some of them. Then again, that guy might have failed and we wouldn't have drafted Bakhtiari or Aaron Jones.

All that said, I do think in the offseason, it would be wise to clean house of all the ST coaches, hire a new staff and spend a 5th round or later pick on some speedy return guy(s) that have had some success at the collegiate level.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think he was referring to JK Scott. Bojo is definitely a good punter, IMHO, just not sure if we can afford to re-sign him in '22 & beyond.
Yes and Crosby had solid back to back seasons in 2019 and 2020, so the Nostradamus impersonation on him doesn't fly either.

All I know from last season is that we had a bad punter (fixed), crappy return teams on both punt and kickoffs, so-so coverage teams and a Special Teams coordinator that got fired.

What changed?

1. Drayton promoted, was an assistant to Zook and Mennenga.
2. JK Scott cut...trade for Bojo. Punting fixed, holds for kicks meh.
3. FG/XP Units have mid season struggle. Fixed?
4. Coverage and return teams at rock bottom.
5. Multiple returners tried at both punt and kicks, still failure.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is why I wanted Desean Jackson when he became available. I didn't care if he pushed for MVS' receiving slot.
I think its been quite some time since Jackson returned punts or kicks. Not saying he couldn't do it again, but at 35, he might not be all that great anymore? However, I always have liked him as a WR.

Reaction score
Actually there is and we may see it soon. You replace them with some of the starters. Not really a move that I fully endorse, since you are risking injury to said starters. However, if the lower level guys consistently can't get it done, what choice will the Packers have in the Playoffs when it is win or go home?
This is exactly where I was going. Obviously it doesn’t need to be 9 players. Take those that are considered a unanimously vote as “consistently worst”. Maybe 2-3 players at the bottom who aren’t getting it done. That alone should strike some fear into the other 6-7 regular Special Teamers.
Might even find 1 replacement from our PS who’s been working his tail off for this chance.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is exactly where I was going. Obviously it doesn’t need to be 9 players. Take those that are considered a unanimously vote as “consistently worst”. Maybe 2-3 players at the bottom who aren’t getting it done. That alone should strike some fear into the other 6-7 regular Special Teamers.
Might even find 1 replacement from our PS who’s been working his tail off for this chance.
The only problem that I see, besides injuries, is trying to throw a bunch of starters together and into cohesive special teams units, probably isn't plausible. Let's face it, there is some skill and talent in playing on those units and much of it is learning your role and the other 10 guys as well. So I can see a starter being thrust into the returning of punts or kickoffs, but as far as lining up 11 starters for the punt team and kick teams, doubt it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Don't care how many snaps he's played in 2021, he's touched the ball 8 times in 14 games. He's not a guy they're grooming for a starting role at any point, IMHO, he's a ST guy forced into some game-day action. Summers has been active every game, has 9 total tackles on D, yet I don't believe anyone would argue he's being groomed for a starting (or significant) LB role.

EQ doesn't touch the ball on special teams at all. He still has a specific role while playing on offense though.

This is why I wanted Desean Jackson when he became available. I didn't care if he pushed for MVS' receiving slot.

DeSean Jackson last returned a punt for more than 11 yards during the 2013 season. I highly doubt he would have been the solution at this stage of his career.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
At this point I want someone that will catch the punt every time or intelligently let it roll into the end zone. I don't care if he gets 2 yards per return by falling forward.
I could be wrong, but didn't they put Cobb back there this season against the Rams and he mishandled it, right into the hands of a Rams player? I know Cobb isn't available, but I was just pointing out that even an experienced Vet can make mistakes.

I really think that due to all the poor play on special teams, each guy is now going to be over thinking his roll and that could make things worse, like we saw for several games from the XP and FG team. Which is another reason why I think a coaching change might have relieved that pressure and act as "starting over."

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I want someone that will catch the punt every time or intelligently let it roll into the end zone. I don't care if he gets 2 yards per return by falling forward.
hard to argue with that at this point.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
hard to argue with that at this point.
and really shows you just how pathetic its gotten with our Special Teams. I never like seeing them return a kick that otherwise would be a touchback, since too often it ends with the ball short of the 25 due to a bad return and/or a penalty. Not to mention a fumble.

Hard to believe that an 11-3 team could be so inept in one phase of their game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and really shows you just how pathetic its gotten with our Special Teams. I never like seeing them return a kick that otherwise would be a touchback, since too often it ends with the ball short of the 25 due to a bad return and/or a penalty. Not to mention a fumble.

Hard to believe that an 11-3 team could be so inept in one phase of their game.
Agreed.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drayton should've been fired months ago. Lafleur takes the blame again this year. Asleep at the switch. impartial observers knew this was coming.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They've been exceptionally bad this year in every capacity. On the bright side Amari actually looked like a return man tonight. Nothing spectacular, but at this point when someone doesn't look horrible and actually does a decent job it stands out on this team. Too bad we still gave up a couple big returns, and of course a blocked chip shot FG where the guy blocking it practically catches it in his gut it was so bad and then the blocked punt for a TD. I can't imagine much worse of a night for a special teams unit.

Members online

Latest posts