Fire Drayton

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hire any ST coach from Harbaugh's staff in Baltimore. You know what? Can we just hire Harbaugh?
Rumor is LaFleur tried to hire a good coach in Darren Rizzi but the Packers offered him a well below market value contract and when they finally decided to offer something comparable it was already too late and he went to the Saints.

This is what I mean. It’s systematically broken in Green Bay. The team is run by actual idiots.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until they decide to fix it systematically at the highest level yes.

JK Scott. ***. Cory Bojo. ***. Hunter Bradley. ***. Isaac Yiadom. ***. All players we traded for or used draft capital for.

Gutenkunst can’t find talent.
Jaire Alexander, Rashan Gary, Eric Stokes, Elgton Jenkins…. I could go on, but I figured I’d just match 4 for your 4. You must be right… Gute can’t find talent…. you are a joke.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I wish I would have bookmarked it, but I read an article yesterday that under TT and now Gute, it is very apparent that Special Teams has always been intentionally an after thought. Both GM's feeling that it wasn't important enough to devote a lot of resources too. Now I know that some will say that this is just timely media drivel, showing up after the fact. However, if you think about all the Special Teams over the last 20 years and all of the Special Teams coordinators that seem to hang on a year or too long and then are finally fired, it makes sense. Throw in the lack of draft capital or FA currency put into special teams and there you go.
If this has been the case, it's only natural for special teams to slowly, yet surely, go down the drain. And of course it bites you in the *** at the most inopportune time.

There's at least a part of me that says LaFleur was very 'cavalier' toward special teams, having the cocky mindset that it couldn't dare cost his team. Well, joke is on him apparently. Because every single fan could've told him several weeks ago that his special teams SUCK. And he should've done someething about it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Rumor is LaFleur tried to hire a good coach in Darren Rizzi but the Packers offered him a well below market value contract and when they finally decided to offer something comparable it was already too late and he went to the Saints.

This is what I mean. It’s systematically broken in Green Bay. The team is run by actual idiots.
Now that Payton is hanging it up, is Rizzi going to be back on the market?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would guess if he's under contract yet the new guy would likely keep a successful special teams coach on board if he can. Unless he has someone else but I'm guessing the new HC will be more concerned with OC, DC, Line coaches etc that's he's formed relationships with over the years.

Would be different if you ST coach was just a guy, then yeah likely replaced by incoming HC with new staff. But Rizzi is a pretty good one, likely he stays if he wants to.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They also painted over the motto that Drayton had put above the Special Teams film room. It read:

"I TOLD YOU TO PLAY LIKE NEVER BEFORE, NOT PLAY LIKE YOU'VE NEVER PLAYED BEFORE"

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Why do we need a story for this? What else is there to know about this bum getting fired???

Can they please hire outside of the org this time. I am tired of crappy ST cords. Is Nolan Cromwell still coaching somewhere?

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What actually does a special team's coach do???????
The STs coach does actually have a ton of responsibilities. Think of all the blocking schemes for different situations. Punts, situations the opposition is showing they’re trying to block, FGs, kick and punt returns. Then you’ve got onside kick work, teaching returners the strange rules of what can and can’t be done like going out of bounds then touching the ball.

They’ve got a lot on their plate. Unfortunately Drayton knew none of that and it was very evident after week 5. Week 3 the 49ers should have blocked the game winner. The very next week the Bengals replicated that and we’re getting to the kicker too quickly. It was no different the next week. IMO at that point he should have been fired. If you can’t come up with an answer in 3 weeks you’re bad at your job. I believe it’s a fireable offense of LaFleurs part as well for his ignorance.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now....as long as they don't promote Drayton's assistant to his assistant and give her/him the job.

I like 2 people for the job, so far.

Matt Smiley: This is probably the guy they should have hired last year. He has been an assistant special teams coach with the Jags and Bills for 9 years and both teams have had good special teams during that time. My only question on him, why hasn't he been promoted all this time?

Brayden Coombs: I like this guys potential. He is only 35 and started as a coaching assistant with the Bengals in 2010! He quickly worked his way up to special teams assistant and then the Lions hired him in 2020 as their special teams coordinator. He was doing really well, as was the Lions Special teams unit. Then he went rogue and called for a fake punt without running it by anyone else. The Lions were down by 14 with 12 minutes to go, I probably would have loved the call, despite it coming up a yard short. He was fired the next day. Leave it to the Lions to fire their one good coach.

The only thing that concerns me with him. Did he learn his lesson? Is he ready to coach within the system? Sounds like he might be a bit self centered and that fake punt thing, was the straw that broke the camels back. He didn't coach in 2021.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This was a pretty good article that summarized Drayton and the Packers special teams. Drayton seemed to be all bravado and no results to back it up.

For those siting that the 49'ers played more starters on Special Teams and that might have been the difference, it wasn't. Don't worry though, MLF seemed to want to use it as an excuse too.

“San Francisco had a lot of their starters on special teams,” LaFleur said. “That’s going to be something that I want to do some studies around the league and see how many teams operate that way.”

That sounds good. The only problem is it wasn’t true. Perhaps showing that he’s out of touch with the third phase of the game: 21 Packers played at least half the snaps on offense and defense in that game. Those players logged 38 snaps on special teams. The 49ers had 23 players with 50 percent playing time. Those players logged 41 snaps on special teams.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts