Fire Drayton

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This hire never should have happened. Time to get rid of him. College coaches are now available!

We won't beat any good teams with these type of special teams mistakes.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No question - this guy struck me as a clown this year with his cheerleader mentality. Unbelievably poor preparation and constantly watching kick team coverage leaving their lanes and not tackling or pursuing, punt teams, kick team...on and on and on. It all points to one unit.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup and when you have players like MVS not knowing what to do with an onside kick, that is coaching or lack there of!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ll tuck my tail as a former Drayton supporter. They’ve gotten worse. It should never have gotten this bad. LeFluer needs to make a rare mid-season coaching change. This can’t happen in the playoffs.

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I honestly would’ve fired him at halftime. Fielding a kickoff at the out of bounds line? Who does that? Coverage has been horrible all year. And muffed punts with no returns. Somebody on that team can surely catch a punt. Totally unacceptable.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’m just finishing a rough draft of Draytons resignation. It’s very short it sais..

“I QUIT

Love,

Maurice”

It aligns perfectly with the complexity and readiness of his ST units
I imagine he drops it before trying to deliver it. Once he picks it back up, he heads in the wrong direction and is never seen again.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drayton seems clueless in all his press conferences.

I can see it now. Rodgers puts together the go-ahead TD drive with 5 seconds left in the Super Bowl. Then Drayton gives up the game-ending kickoff return TD.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are Lafleur's options at this point in the season? Fire Drayton and promote the assistant? Are there any competent coaches out on the street who could come in and fix this problem in the next 5 weeks?

I think Lafleur is going to have to ride with Drayton til the end of the season and then clean house of the entire special teams staff. Until then, Lafleur is going to have get more active with the units. I know they don't like to put starters on ST due to injury risk, but may have to be considered to use some on coverage. Maybe use Stokes as a gunner.

Bottom line is that ST will cost the Packers a game in the playoffs unless this gets fixed. Lafleur has got his work cut out for him.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What are Lafleur's options at this point in the season? Fire Drayton and promote the assistant? Are there any competent coaches out on the street who could come in and fix this problem in the next 5 weeks?
Brayden Coombs!! (cross-posted from the Shoutbox thread) Went rogue on a fake punt & was fired by interim HC Darrell Bevell. Had the talent to work with from a team that ranked 32nd on D, 20th on O.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drayton needs to go now. Special Teams will wreck the season. The team we saw last night give up 24 points due largely to special teams gaffs in one quarter to a 4 -8 team will get destroted in the playoffs.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ST play last night was beyond comical and down-right frightening for this Packer fan.
- Fielding a kickoff at the 5 yd. sideline?
- Kickoff out of bounds?
- Kickoff down the middle and to the 2 yard line forcing a run back?
- Missed tackles, poor lane assignments, and allowing the reverse-field run back. :(
- Muffed punt
- Muffed on-side-kick
All of these in addition to the past 12 games worth of blocked FG's, missed FG, and overall dread when the ST unit hits the field.
IF Drayton isn't gone today 2 things MUST happen 100% of the time: Bojorquez punts out of bounds eliminating run backs, AND the kicker must kickoff out of the end zone. IF Crosby isn't capable then another kicker should be brought in.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's okay to support a change and hate having to fire him. That's where I'm at. It sucks to get rid of a guy that appears to be high energy, high character it seems - but sometimes you fit and sometimes you don't fit at all.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's okay to support a change and hate having to fire him. That's where I'm at. It sucks to get rid of a guy that appears to be high energy, high character it seems - but sometimes you fit and sometimes you don't fit at all.
High School trams are always looking for coaches like that. This guy has worked under 2 failed special teams coaches and it was a mistake to give him the job. For once, the majority of this forum called that from day 1.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

GARYELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Drayton isn't gone today 2 things MUST happen 100% of the time: Bojorquez punts out of bounds eliminating run backs, AND the kicker must kickoff out of the end zone. IF Crosby isn't capable then another kicker should be brought in.
I thought " Thank F*k" when Bojorquez punted that short one out of bounds in the second half - maybe he was told to ???.
As for Mason, I don't want to see a replacement kicker but he has been struggling getting the ball out of the end zone these last two seasons.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't like Drayton being hired after he was part of the coaching staff that was responsible for bad special teams play for three seasons. At this point it's time to move on from him as the unit has become even worse with him being the coordinator highlighted by an inexplicable performance against the Bears.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like no accountability for Drayton. I think it sends the wrong message to the team that weekly poor performances are ok. At this point, there is no risk in replacing Drayton. The special teams are rock bottom terrible. Anybody off the street couldn't do worse.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, there is no risk in replacing Drayton. The special teams are rock bottom terrible. Anybody off the street couldn't do worse.
As Drayton has proven, it CAN get worse!! :( To reward that ST play by allowing Drayton to remain with the team sends the wrong message to a playoff/SB caliber team. Time to move on with a ST coordinator who has had success elsewhere (subliminal message Brayden Coombs).

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The ST play last night was beyond comical and down-right frightening for this Packer fan.
- Fielding a kickoff at the 5 yd. sideline?
- Kickoff out of bounds?
- Kickoff down the middle and to the 2 yard line forcing a run back?
- Missed tackles, poor lane assignments, and allowing the reverse-field run back. :(
- Muffed punt
- Muffed on-side-kick
All of these in addition to the past 12 games worth of blocked FG's, missed FG, and overall dread when the ST unit hits the field.
Good summary. I get blaming players when bad things happen once in awhile, but that really looked like the Packers had the 3 stooges times 3 + 2, out there on special teams last night for every play. How does a guy like MVS not know what to do with an onside kick? That was a Brandon Bostick type move. Taylor fielding a kickoff as the ball and him are going out of bounds? Missed tackles, wide open return lanes, a gunner running behind the Bears players, that are standing on the sidelines! On and on. Will firing Drayton immediately improve a poorly coached unit? Probably not, but at least it might light a fire under some players to know that they just got their coach fired and they might be next.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Members online

Latest posts