Fire Drayton

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Spoiler alert, ST will suck under the next guy too.
Depends if they hire Draytons seat warmer. If they hire from outside then we might good for once.

Is Nolan Cromwell still coaching? He was the ST Coach for the 1996 SB Team.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read today that Jimmy Ward shot the gap between Dean Lowry and Tyler Lancaster to block the FG. I have to wonder why defensive linemen are on the FG unit. They have 8 offensive linemen active plus tight ends to block the edges. Who decides what personnel are on the special teams? Head coach or ST coordinator? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Reaction score
I would scrap this entire unit of ST coaches and I’d also make sure 1/2 of that horrific player personnel never sees a ST snap in GB.
I’d only keep my top players and the rest get a free bus ticket as far away as she goes. If those not making the cut cannot win roles at O or D they’re sent packing.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have to wonder why defensive linemen are on the FG unit.
I think I read that they try to use players that may have not just been on the field, ie...rested players. Special teams are mostly compromised of your backups and that hasn't really changed for the Packers or other teams it seems. So it isn't that the Packers are doing things differently than other teams, they are just executing things a lot worse than other teams.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This moment is going to play in my head for way too many years, but it might finally take the place of Bostick trying to field the onside kick against the Seahawks.

I think when the Packers fire Drayton, they give the sealed envelope to LS Steven Wirtel with the instructions "give this to your ST coach and wait there while he reads it."

The note would say "Before you read that you are fired below, please take the time right now to tell your long snapper he is cut. Thank you...now you are fired."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This moment is going to play in my head for way too many years, but it might finally take the place of Bostick trying to field the onside kick against the Seahawks.

I think when the Packers fire Drayton, they give the sealed envelope to LS Steven Wirtel with the instructions "give this to your ST coach and wait there while he reads it."

The note would say "Before you read that you are fired below, please take the time right now to tell your long snapper he is cut. Thank you...now you are fired."

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Henry Black (41) is the deepest punt protector. His job is to pick up anyone coming up the middle. Instead of helping the center, he just takes off down the field. He didn't do his job.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
You get what you pay for. Who had writer's cramp when it came time to open the checkbook?

https://www.si.com/nfl/talkoffame/nfl/rick-gosselins-2021-nfl-special-teams-rankings
Saints : #5
Packers: #32

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...heap-on-special-teams-and-paid-big-in-the-end

"But after a visit in Green Bay, Rizzi left without a deal— though he had an offer. A low one, too low to entice him to Green Bay. The Packers reportedly upped their offer later on, but it was too late. Rizzi was bound for New Orleans, and the Saints wouldn’t make the same mistake, declining to lowball the man considered to be the best special teams coordinator available."

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Henry Black (41) is the deepest punt protector. His job is to pick up anyone coming up the middle. Instead of helping the center, he just takes off down the field. He didn't do his job.
Agreed, nor did Wirtel, he literally got blown up!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He's 6'-4", 228 lb rookie. Drayton and/or MLF didn't see ANY potential problems some time in the last 9 games since they cut Bradley? smh, the dysfunction on a SB-contending team is mind-boggling.
I'm convinced that Special Teams for the Packers is a lot like the Drunk Uncle at a party. You acknowledge that he is there, make excuses for his bad manners, try to hide him if you can and then just hope he doesn't say or do something really stupid.

I wish I would have bookmarked it, but I read an article yesterday that under TT and now Gute, it is very apparent that Special Teams has always been intentionally an after thought. Both GM's feeling that it wasn't important enough to devote a lot of resources too. Now I know that some will say that this is just timely media drivel, showing up after the fact. However, if you think about all the Special Teams over the last 20 years and all of the Special Teams coordinators that seem to hang on a year or too long and then are finally fired, it makes sense. Throw in the lack of draft capital or FA currency put into special teams and there you go.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of maybe a player or 2 usually a gunner or an exceptional return man, I don't think any team "invest" in special teams. GB had an incredible amount of injuries this year and kept winning that tells me we had some depth on the roster. We have a roster of guys capable of playing football. I hear how we don't invest in Linebackers so that's why our special teams stink. I don't buy it. Nobody builds their special teams with starting linebackers, and guys with the physical attributes like Summers and Burks? you should be able to make special teams players out of guys like that all day long. Great size, great speed.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
you should be able to make special teams players out of guys like that all day long. Great size, great speed.
Maybe if you invest in the right special teams coach, the Packers obviously have not. How much would it have cost to bring Rizzi to Green Bay, instead the Packers low-balled him and hired Mennenga. Meanwhile, the Saints paid Rizzi what he wanted and they have really good special teams.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd agree they didn't invest in the right coach, but I keep hearing how we don't have any players to do it with. I don't buy that argument. While we didn't have a dynamic return man, I think we had enough guys to be much better than we were.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd agree they didn't invest in the right coach, but I keep hearing how we don't have any players to do it with. I don't buy that argument. While we didn't have a dynamic return man, I think we had enough guys to be much better than we were.
Maybe you and I have come to the solution? Hire the right guy, even if it costs you a bit more and maybe invest at least a late pick in a return man. I used to not really care about kickoff return guys, but until the Packers can figure out a blocking scheme, they need one that can at least pick up 20-25 yards. Otherwise, teams will continue to kick high and short of the goal line and force them to return the ball.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get some of his points, but still, Chris Banjo? he was a good special teamer, but we've had plenty of guys in here with the same physical attributes and he had just spent a season pretty much in the training room rather than the playing field when we released him. There's a couple guys that could have helped, but we've had many thru here that have the had the same ability for special teams they have. I mean why isn't henry Black a special teams standout? he can run, he can hit.

and those long snappers? never even knew they were on the team. We've had failures at every single level this year, I think it was 95% a coaching problem at this point.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
and those long snappers? never even knew they were on the team. We've had failures at every single level this year, I think it was 95% a coaching problem at this point.
We may get answers in the form of current special teamers either playing better under a new ST coach or playing better on another team.

That said, I agree with you that you can't fire 24 guys, when the issues seemed to be with all of them, not just 1 or 2 guys. In that situation you go to the main source, which is Drayton and his staff.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hire any ST coach from Harbaugh's staff in Baltimore. You know what? Can we just hire Harbaugh?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except I don't know the first thing about hiring a special teams coach LOL just get a good one
I'll help you out... Brayden Coombs. Fired from Lions in Dec. of '20 for "going rogue" and calling a (failed) punt fake. Lions ST were top-3 in '20, I believe. MLF chose Drayton over Coombs early in '21... IMHO a REALLY bad choice, wouldn't you say? ;)

Members online

Latest posts