Fire Drayton

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers need to open the checkbook and go outside the organization.
Agreed, unlike 2019 when they may have landed Darren Rizzi had they met his asking price. Instead, he went to New Orleans and is now being interviewed for the Head coaching job there.

Meanwhile both of the guys who the Packers have had since 2019 are currently unemployed.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
After the dust settles from renewing contracts, will there be anything left in the check book?
I doubt the Packer Organization is financially strapped at all. Their current issue is not really money, but getting below the NFL set cap rate.

I am not going to dig for the number, but I can guarantee you that the Packers bank account, investments, etc. is so well padded, that paying a coach is like finding loose change in the cushions of the couch. Plus, coaching salaries do not count against the cap.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brayden Coombs: I like this guys potential. He is only 35 and started as a coaching assistant with the Bengals in 2010! He quickly worked his way up to special teams assistant and then the Lions hired him in 2020 as their special teams coordinator. He was doing really well, as was the Lions Special teams unit. Then he went rogue and called for a fake punt without running it by anyone else. The Lions were down by 14 with 12 minutes to go, I probably would have loved the call, despite it coming up a yard short. He was fired the next day. Leave it to the Lions to fire their one good coach.

The only thing that concerns me with him. Did he learn his lesson? Is he ready to coach within the system? Sounds like he might be a bit self centered and that fake punt thing, was the straw that broke the camels back. He didn't coach in 2021.
While I don't condone a coordinator "going rogue" the situation in Detroit in December of '20 wasn't good. Matt Patricia was fired as HC on 11/28/20 and Darrell Bevel was named interim HC. The 5-9 Lions travel to 9-5 Tennessee Titans and the Titans had just scored a TD with an 83 yard, 4:39 drive. With 12 minutes left in the 4th Quarter the Lions are down 32-18 at their own 31 with 4th & 4 yds to go. Coombs tried a bold move by faking the punt and got 3.9 yards when they needed 4 for the 1st down. Bevell fired him the next day. After going 5-11 Bevell was fired from Detroit, also.

I wouldn't condone this from a coordinator, but I do agree with this writer that it was kind of a "screw it, let's make something happen" moment for Coombs. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...red-coach-doing-something-awesome/4004913001/

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I don't condone a coordinator "going rogue" the situation in Detroit in December of '20 wasn't good. Matt Patricia was fired as HC on 11/28/20 and Darrell Bevel was named interim HC. The 5-9 Lions travel to 9-5 Tennessee Titans and the Titans had just scored a TD with an 83 yard, 4:39 drive. With 12 minutes left in the 4th Quarter the Lions are down 32-18 at their own 31 with 4th & 4 yds to go. Coombs tried a bold move by faking the punt and got 3.9 yards when they needed 4 for the 1st down. Bevell fired him the next day. After going 5-11 Bevell was fired from Detroit, also.

I wouldn't condone this from a coordinator, but I do agree with this writer that it was kind of a "screw it, let's make something happen" moment for Coombs. https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...red-coach-doing-something-awesome/4004913001/
Fully agree with you and I think fans and the media generally think that his firing was exactly the dysfunction that has plagued the Lions for eons.

My only concern with Combs and maybe it is why he wasn't instantly snapped up, is that it sounds like he has kind of a "me, me" attitude and this was just the final straw for Detroit. Maybe teams are worried he can't fix and not willing to take that chance.

Reaction score
I doubt the Packer Organization is financially strapped at all. Their current issue is not really money, but getting below the NFL set cap rate.

I am not going to dig for the number, but I can guarantee you that the Packers bank account, investments, etc. is so well padded, that paying a coach is like finding loose change in the cushions of the couch. Plus, coaching salaries do not count against the cap.
So if money isn't a issue, the important issue is hiring the best people for the job which has a % of hit or miss

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So if money isn't a issue, the important issue is hiring the best people for the job which has a % of hit or miss
I never said that money wasn't considered by the Packers when it comes to coaches. I merely said that it has nothing to do with the salary Cap placed on the team to pay players.

I am sure that the people that make the coaching hiring decisions in Green Bay have their own financial boundaries when it comes to that.

Reaction score
Henry Black (41) is the deepest punt protector. His job is to pick up anyone coming up the middle. Instead of helping the center, he just takes off down the field. He didn't do his job.
That would not surprise me. The guy gets burned more than Kevin King on a hot griddle

I actually believe that the Packers could play roulette and bet on an arbitrary number and still not do worse than Drayton. Having a bad game or two is one thing. Not fixing the very problem you’ve had over an entire season just shows a complete coaching ineptitude. Sorry about the negativity I’m looking forward to any ideas and I just hope it both includes new coaching AND new players. It wouldn’t be a terrible idea to also use a later selection or 2 on some ST talent. Returner, Kicker, Gunner etc.. let’s give our new approach a talent injection. Also, I’m not a fan of Amari on ST, he’s shown very little to nothing for me. Obviously I’m just going off the eye test

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I actually believe that the Packers could play roulette and bet on an arbitrary number and still not do worse than Drayton. Having a bad game or two is one thing. Not fixing the very problem you’ve had over an entire season just shows a complete coaching ineptitude
Spot on! When they offered me the job last year, I am pretty certain they asked the guy dropping the fries into the fryer before me.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maurice Drayton hired by the Raiders as asst. ST coach. Don't think he's a bad guy, glad someone is giving him a chance to learn ST's so he has a chance to stay in the game.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maurice Drayton hired by the Raiders as asst. ST coach. Don't think he's a bad guy, glad someone is giving him a chance to learn ST's so he has a chance to stay in the game.
He reminds me of Ted Lasso in the first season. Great guy to listen to but he’s a ****** on the field.

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of luck to the Raiders— with that guy— they will need it!!! Lol

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not surprising the Raiders have made the playoffs only twice in the past 20 seasons without winning a single postseason game over that period.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He reminds me of Ted Lasso in the first season. Great guy to listen to but he’s a ****** on the field.

Okay, I have disagreed with your takes on Gute and other items quite a bit...but this my friend is uncalled for. You take it back, take it back right now. Ted Lasso is the best thing to happen to Apple TV, improper "football" and comedy shows in a long time.

Draws line in the sand and stares intently into your eyes...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts