Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Blake Martinez has been one of the better ILBs in the game.

Perry is coming off an 11 sack season, Daniels has been widely known as one of the most disruptive 3-4 ends in the league.

Everyone and their mother wanted to get Matthews back at OLB this year where he can just focus on rushing the passer.

Then they went out and spent another 5M on Ahmad Brooks who is also known for his pass rushing ability when healthy.

What more do you want? They are not going to have a Pro Bowl player at every position, it's just not realistic. What exactly does Dom need to be effective? Justin Houston on one side, Chandler Jones on the other and Joey Bosa on the line?

Could the talent be better, sure. But it's not like we're asking the guy to try to mold a bunch of UDFAs into pass rushers here.

Capers also had 3 consecutive seasons to utilize one of the best pass rushers in the history of the NFL, Julius Peppers, who has now returned to Carolina and even in his late 30s still remains one of the most productive pass rushers in football this year. He had him for 3 years to pair with Matthews and Perry, and Daniels on the line, and still could not field a successful defense.

I ask again, is Dom Capers completely incapable of assembling an adequate defense with anything less than every single member of the NFC Pro Bowl team?
I didn’t want to see Matthews back on the roster this year, what a waste of money and a roster spot, has been for years!!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

You can say its not capers its the players but capers hand picked these players to play in his defensive scheme so it all boils down to still being his responsibility.

Thompson is the one in charge of roster decision though.

Matthews is used up as a pass rusher. He rarely gets home anymore and when he does he usually runs right past the play. He can still be outstanding as an inside linebacker but he doesn't have it as a pure pass rusher anymore. Really he hasn't for about 3 years. I think some of his best play has been at ILB.

Unfortunately Matthews is an average inside linebacker at best.

Nope. Just Capers. We don't need a new offense.

I'm in favor of holding on to McCarthy as the head coach as well but it seems he hugely benefits from having Rodgers as the team's quarterback while the coaching staff struggles to put together a successful game plan with a backup QB.

Zero punts by Detroit.....zero. How can anyone in the Packers organization take an honest look at the sh*t show that Capers has out there and retain the guy any longer?

Tired of hearing the excuse of injuries and players not doing their jobs. Zero punts!

I'm not arguing the defense played any good by any means but the Packers forced a turnover though.

Blake Martinez has been one of the better ILBs in the game.

Perry is coming off an 11 sack season, Daniels has been widely known as one of the most disruptive 3-4 ends in the league.

Everyone and their mother wanted to get Matthews back at OLB this year where he can just focus on rushing the passer.

Then they went out and spent another 5M on Ahmad Brooks who is also known for his pass rushing ability when healthy.

What more do you want? They are not going to have a Pro Bowl player at every position, it's just not realistic. What exactly does Dom need to be effective? Justin Houston on one side, Chandler Jones on the other and Joey Bosa on the line?

Could the talent be better, sure. But it's not like we're asking the guy to try to mold a bunch of UDFAs into pass rushers here.

In my opinion the players definitely deserve part of the blame though as they can't put pressure on quarterbacks while blitzing even while facing the opposing third or fourth left tackle on their depth chart.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the 2010 season, Capers' defenses have been mediocre at best, and really bad at worst. We have poured high draft picks into that defense, with little effect. I'm not one to make rash decisions, but Capers should have been fired years ago.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another article calling for Capers's firing.

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/a-loo...go-255?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

How is it that the media can be years behind what the fans have already been saying all along? Drew Olson, Tom Silverstein, down the line. With every Black Monday (or in this case this week, Black Tuesday) that passses without his dismissal comes more evidence that this is a rudderless organization. One of the downsides of being publicly owned. Nobody at the top to crack the whip and demand accountability.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because fans are mostly idiots with zero understanding of anything that happens on an NFL football field. Rudderless organization??? where the **** have you been. almost 3 decades of sustained success, a decade of sustained success by this current group, many who were parts in the earlier successes too, and you have the tiny ******* to call them rudderless after a rough patch in which we lose a HOF QB? Every year we hear how we should be someone else and year after year those teams fall of and nobody says a thing. there's 1 team that has stood up and finished better in the entire league and you call this franchise "rudderless" The seahawks can't be the inured redskins? they aren't even missing a QB, they have all their guys. But hey, let's be them and their exactly 1 super bowl win that is better than our 1 super bowl LOL. The Broncos? who wants to trade places with them now? LOL AZ is not afraid to bolster with FA, we should be them and their nothing they've won. The Giants and all their FA spending? Beat down at Lambeau and back to sucking. Atlanta? LOL. They got the best of us recently, but then they've sustained nothing. but GB is rudderless LOL. now this year we should be the Vikings? LOL they can win with a 3rd string QB, who happens to be about as good as their starter and isn't even nearly the focal point of the team. Take Harrison Smith out or one of those guys and watch their season go down in flames. But hey, we should be more like them and their "superior coach" and "superior team" as I saw one person proclaim. LOL

Capers may need to go, but rudderless? Come on. Most reasons that make people great also make them fallible. IE, brett favre the gunslinger. Do i need to explain how what made him great also became a liability at times? Rodgers? loves to hold the ball and wait for something to come open. Hits big plays all the time, and also exposes himself to a lot of hits by holding it so long. Any detriment to what makes him great? and this staff loves stability and they work they do. MM believes in his players, himself and those on his staff. He believes they'll get it right with work and he's been right a lot. It has it's drawbacks, but to deny it's pros as well? Rudderless and lacking accountability? Comments like that speak to the intelligence of our "smartest fans in the NFL"

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
because fans are mostly idiots with zero understanding of anything that happens on an NFL football field. Rudderless organization??? where the **** have you been. almost 3 decades of sustained success, a decade of sustained success by this current group, many who were parts in the earlier successes too, and you have the tiny ******* to call them rudderless after a rough patch in which we lose a HOF QB? Every year we hear how we should be someone else and year after year those teams fall of and nobody says a thing. there's 1 team that has stood up and finished better in the entire league and you call this franchise "rudderless" The seahawks can't be the inured redskins? they aren't even missing a QB, they have all their guys. But hey, let's be them and their exactly 1 super bowl win that is better than our 1 super bowl LOL. The Broncos? who wants to trade places with them now? LOL AZ is not afraid to bolster with FA, we should be them and their nothing they've won. The Giants and all their FA spending? Beat down at Lambeau and back to sucking. Atlanta? LOL. They got the best of us recently, but then they've sustained nothing. but GB is rudderless LOL. now this year we should be the Vikings? LOL they can win with a 3rd string QB, who happens to be about as good as their starter and isn't even nearly the focal point of the team. Take Harrison Smith out or one of those guys and watch their season go down in flames. But hey, we should be more like them and their "superior coach" and "superior team" as I saw one person proclaim. LOL

Capers may need to go, but rudderless? Come on. Most reasons that make people great also make them fallible. IE, brett favre the gunslinger. Do i need to explain how what made him great also became a liability at times? Rodgers? loves to hold the ball and wait for something to come open. Hits big plays all the time, and also exposes himself to a lot of hits by holding it so long. Any detriment to what makes him great? and this staff loves stability and they work they do. MM believes in his players, himself and those on his staff. He believes they'll get it right with work and he's been right a lot. It has it's drawbacks, but to deny it's pros as well? Rudderless and lacking accountability? Comments like that speak to the intelligence of our "smartest fans in the NFL"
Considering you were the one of the few that roasted me for roasting the Bennett signing with your usual condescending demeanor, you're opinions mean nothing to me. I wish this forum would allow me to really say what I think of you, instead I'll just put you on ignore.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering you were the one of the few that roasted me for roasting the Bennett signing with your usual condescending demeanor, you're opinions mean nothing to me. I wish this forum would allow me to really say what I think of you, instead I'll just put you on ignore.
just say it, i'm a big boy. i'm only condescending to those that need it. LOL doesn't surprise me that is all you took away from the post, it goes to my original point. Ignore away

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year it's the same thing.
Packers lose a game or go on a losing streak.
Fire Capers.
He has to go!
The only difference is that this year I am seeing posts convinced that Capers is going to go.
Well, I am convinced that the Packers could go 0-16 and he would still keep his job.
And why does he keep his job?
Because McMoron is caving into his fears of trying something new.
He is afraid that by letting Capers go that he will be doing the wrong thing after all.
This is an excellent read that I found on a Google search of, "Why does Dom Capers still have a job," and the first one that I have found that gives some insight as to why things are the way they are and it doesn't look like it will change anytime soon.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...arthy-fire-dom-capers-the-answer-mason-crosby

OP
OP
A

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARods new nickname should be Mr. Febreeze. Cause he's been covering up this teams stink for way too long.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I appreciate McCarthy going to bat for his staff, but eventually he's going to have to let Capers go or it's going to be him that's getting fired. (wouldn't hate either tbh.)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Many of us have made mention that the Defense did not force one punt last night. Was interesting to read this:

It was the first time it’s happened in the league since the Falcons went without punting a year ago (Nov. 4, 2016) against the Buccaneers, and it’s the first time the Lions have enjoyed such a day since Thanksgiving 1971.

The Lions had eight possessions, scored three touchdowns and three field goals, missed a field goal and fumbled.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The DBs were playing so deep much of the time that we were really playing with 9 men on defense. Except for making a tackle after a good gain. That was just stupid. There aren't enough defenders to stop them getting 1st downs. How stupid.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's beginning to look more and more like this team is simply not that good (outside of Rodgers). Something needs to change.
Beginning to look more and more like this team isn't that good?....beginning, you say?

Can't speak for everyone, but many on this forum have been highlighting that very thought for quite some time. Unfortunately some others haven't been able to see it until Rodgers actually is incapable of playing football and **** hits the fan.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Nick Perry couldn't even win any 1 on 1's versus a 3rd string offensive tackle. That should be chop licking time. Glad were married to him now. Clay Matthews is the most overpaid player in the league.

The whole thing sucks. Murphy, TT, Capers and all the way down. What these guys have been able to get away with is embarassing and they have just begun to be exposed. They have robbed Rodgers, the season ticket holders, the fans way to long. This thing needs to be cut off at the head before it's way to late. Go get Dorsey and build a SB roster along with a new D coordinator and a new scheme. We're literally in insanity mode here with these guys.

The only one they should keep is MM and that's just because you want to keep things comfortable with Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
ARods new nickname should be Mr. Febreeze. Cause he's been covering up this teams stink for way too long.

So true! This would make a great Meme. A Green and Gold Febreze can with #12 jersey and helmet on it.....trailing behind and spraying, a leaking septic truck, driven on the field by DC and whoever else you want to put in that cab.

Wish I was a good graphics artist! Anyone?

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was one of the worst defensive performances I have ever seen. How does Capers still have a job? Does he have pics of TT and MM together in bed?

Unless the defense gets it together (there are plenty of #1 picks on that side of the ball) The Pack will end up 5 and 11.. assuming, of course, that we can beat the Browns.. The season is slipping away fast. Someone on "D" step up as a leader!

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do believe Clay has lost a step and should be put back at MLB along with Burnett (when he isn't playing safety).

What's just driving me nuts is how this week and last, Capers has failed to get his units off the field. Also ... I'm wondering what the hell they practice all week. They don't seem to understand how to find the holes in the OL to blitz through whenever blitzes are called. And Gruden's comment on that one play where somehow Blake Martinez got matched up on Golden Tate ... with all the nickel and dime packages Capers runs how the hell does that happen? This is just ridiculous what's going on with this defense.

Sorry but ... Capers isn't the only coordinator who's had a superbowl win to his name, there's been others who've gotten there only to get fired later as they should like Parry Fewell in New York.

HD3924

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This defense is neither fish (front four pressure with everyone else back in coverage) nor flesh ( corners able to play man to man and fill the box) . That for years. A nightmare to see how easy Detroit converted 3rd downs.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was one of the worst defensive performances I have ever seen. How does Capers still have a job? Does he have pics of TT and MM together in bed?

Unless the defense gets it together (there are plenty of #1 picks on that side of the ball) The Pack will end up 5 and 11.. assuming, of course, that we can beat the Browns.. The season is slipping away fast. Someone on "D" step up as a leader!
I honestly have been wondering that same thing for awhile, there absolutely has to be some sort of black mail material that dom has, it’s the only logical answer at this point.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think one problem that may be real bad this year is that Capers D by not getting off the field on 3rd down is causing a pretty big disparity in TOP more so than the points given up. That kind of factor looms even larger when you've got a backup in because it's going to minimize his opportunities and give you far less chances to score. Under Rodgers, chances are you could lose the TOP battle but still win if the offense is in quick strike mode or he's on target with his hail mary balls. Not going to have that under our current QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online