Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think one problem that may be real bad this year is that Capers D by not getting off the field on 3rd down is causing a pretty big disparity in TOP more so than the points given up. That kind of factor looms even larger when you've got a backup in because it's going to minimize his opportunities and give you far less chances to score. Under Rodgers, chances are you could lose the TOP battle but still win if the offense is in quick strike mode or he's on target with his hail mary balls. Not going to have that under our current QB.

While I can't argue with you that a big part of our problem is and will continue to be Capers defense, as well as the disparity in the TOP sucked. However, the Lions only ran 9 more offensive plays than us. It's not a matter of having the ball longer, it's what you do with it. Right now, the Packer offense doesn't know how to pick up 3rd/4th downs nor sustain a drive. You can run more plays or have a greater TOP than the other team, but if you can't put the ball in the endzone, stats don't matter.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I can't argue with you that a big part of our problem is and will continue to be Capers defense, as well as the disparity in the TOP sucked. However, the Lions only ran 9 more offensive plays than us. It's not a matter of having the ball longer, it's what you do with it. Right now, the Packer offense doesn't know how to pick up 3rd/4th downs nor sustain a drive. You can run more plays or have a greater TOP than the other team, but if you can't put the ball in the endzone, stats don't matter.

Ah, interesting. Still, it does feel like this D has given up an inordinate amount of 3rd and long conversions which do put some back-breakers on the offense. There's no denying our first drive ending in a botched FG attempt definitely deflated our already neutered offense's confidence and we've definitely failed to come away with more points on drives than we should. I guess just watching from here, it just seems opponents are able to stay on the field and defense isn't really doing its job to make our O's job any easier.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ah, interesting. Still, it does feel like this D has given up an inordinate amount of 3rd and long conversions which do put some back-breakers on the offense. There's no denying our first drive ending in a botched FG attempt definitely deflated our already neutered offense's confidence and we've definitely failed to come away with more points on drives than we should. I guess just watching from here, it just seems opponents are able to stay on the field and defense isn't really doing its job to make our O's job any easier.

Our D is terrible at "any down and long". Can't tell you how many times the Lions picked up big chunks of yards in those situations last night. It is as if Capers and the defense relax and say "don't give up the big one".

At least MM changed up his coin flip strategy last night and elected to receive the opening kickoff. It actually almost paid off!

At least our defense is staying on the field long enough to tire out the other teams offense :D Also, in the process, giving our offense time rest those weary legs and arms.......and of course the opponents defense as well :D

Bottom line for me, just as when AR was playing, if the defense can't get turnovers, flip the field or not allow opponents to score, the offense is going to be relied on to win every game. We currently don't have that offense, even with 9 out of 11 starters suiting up last night.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers needed to go 5 seasons ago thompson needed to go after last season and McCarthy needed to go 5 seasons ago when we saw all he can do as a coach is teach not to lose instead of putting your foot in their throat and playing to win. I'm sick of McCarthy conservative playcalling I'm sick of Thompson not picking up valuable free agents when he has the chance and his lackadaisical attitude I'm the draft and during free agency. I'm sick of capers horrible defensive scheme the same one he runs year in and year out to the same horrible results he doesn't change anything in the scheme ever and he has our cbs playing 8 to 10 yards off the ball he rarely blitzes and he rarely turns out players loose or put them into position scheme wise to succeed I mean how many time have we seen receivers catch wide open passed because capers schemes our players out of the area. And I've been saying this for years we need a better special teams coach and offensive coordinator nuff said on that part and I'VE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS FOR THE LOVE OF ZEUS LEYS GET A BETTER STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACH AND PROGRAM BECAUSE I SWEAR WE ARE THE MOST HURT TEAM EVERY YEAR. So in summary fire capers mid season get rid of Thompson week 12 so the new GM has time to prepare and fire McCarthy next season and give Rodgers a 200 million dollar contract so he doesn't consider leaving us because he realizes Capers Thompson and McCarthy have been coasting by on his greatness for almost a decade. We need new blood new and aggressive blood and we need to tank the season and I'm the off-season go all in on spending moneybsnd picking of free agents I'm key positions on defense and offense (not 2 TEs) and picking smart in the draft and I'm sad to say Matthews has got to go unless we move him inside permanently we need cap space to go all out. Whew rant over.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wish that Capers’ horses that pull his buggy to work would go on strike and he would have to resign because he couldn’t make it to work. I am so tired of this guy and MM for keeping him around

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The defense is making the problem of have a total bag of garbage at QB even worse by not making any stops on 3rd down. I am totally sick and tired of Don Capers and his crap defensive scheme. I am sick TT's garbage picks on defense. Those guys have zero compete.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Capers needed to go 5 seasons ago thompson needed to go after last season and McCarthy needed to go 5 seasons ago when we saw all he can do as a coach is teach not to lose instead of putting your foot in their throat and playing to win. I'm sick of McCarthy conservative playcalling I'm sick of Thompson not picking up valuable free agents when he has the chance and his lackadaisical attitude I'm the draft and during free agency. I'm sick of capers horrible defensive scheme the same one he runs year in and year out to the same horrible results he doesn't change anything in the scheme ever and he has our cbs playing 8 to 10 yards off the ball he rarely blitzes and he rarely turns out players loose or put them into position scheme wise to succeed I mean how many time have we seen receivers catch wide open passed because capers schemes our players out of the area. And I've been saying this for years we need a better special teams coach and offensive coordinator nuff said on that part and I'VE BEEN SAYING FOR YEARS FOR THE LOVE OF ZEUS LEYS GET A BETTER STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING COACH AND PROGRAM BECAUSE I SWEAR WE ARE THE MOST HURT TEAM EVERY YEAR. So in summary fire capers mid season get rid of Thompson week 12 so the new GM has time to prepare and fire McCarthy next season and give Rodgers a 200 million dollar contract so he doesn't consider leaving us because he realizes Capers Thompson and McCarthy have been coasting by on his greatness for almost a decade. We need new blood new and aggressive blood and we need to tank the season and I'm the off-season go all in on spending moneybsnd picking of free agents I'm key positions on defense and offense (not 2 TEs) and picking smart in the draft and I'm sad to say Matthews has got to go unless we move him inside permanently we need cap space to go all out. Whew rant over.
You know it's a good rant when you only use 7 periods. :p

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM’s new buzz words for improving the defense “rush lane integrity” and after being asked should changes be made he answers “no,there needs to be less volume of the plays being run and more creativity”

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The whole coaching staff needs to go. Capers doesn't have the track record anymore and McCarthy is being revealed for what he is, a guy that can only win with the best QB in football. Front office should could a makeover as well. Thompson has lost too much front office talent and his style doesn't work without the help he used to get from guys that are now GMs elsewhere.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. The defense is making the problem of have a total bag of garbage at QB even worse by not making any stops on 3rd down. I am totally sick and tired of Don Capers and his crap defensive scheme. I am sick TT's garbage picks on defense. Those guys have zero compete.

Very true. I'm also kinda sick of McCarthy seeming to get a free pass for much of this. McCarthy is the guy that insisted (loudly) that Hundley was the "guy" and had been in the program for two years and they knew what they had. McCarthy is the guy that runs an unimaginative offense that relies almost completely on Rodgers being amazing, refusing to embrace more modern offensive styles, and also seems to have a problem realizing which players on his own team should be starting until injuries force his hand (see Ty last year and Jones this year).

D

Deleted member 6794

now this year we should be the Vikings? LOL they can win with a 3rd string QB, who happens to be about as good as their starter and isn't even nearly the focal point of the team. Take Harrison Smith out or one of those guys and watch their season go down in flames. But hey, we should be more like them and their "superior coach" and "superior team" as I saw one person proclaim. LOL

The Vikings actually prove that it's possible to have an overall talented roster with even more salary cap space allocated to the quarterback position than the Packers have. Just imagine what Rodgers would have been able to achieve with a team around him like that.

I do believe Clay has lost a step and should be put back at MLB along with Burnett (when he isn't playing safety).

What's just driving me nuts is how this week and last, Capers has failed to get his units off the field.

Matthews isn't a great inside linebacker though. While I understand it's easy to blame Capers for the defensive shortcomings the players definitely deserve the lion's share for it.

Capers needed to go 5 seasons ago thompson needed to go after last season and McCarthy needed to go 5 seasons ago when we saw all he can do as a coach is teach not to lose instead of putting your foot in their throat and playing to win.

I have considered McCarthy one of the best head coaches in the league for quite some time but after watching the last three games with Hundley playing quarterback it seems he has solely benefitted from having two HOF quarterbacks starting close to every single game for the Packers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have considered McCarthy one of the best head coaches in the league for quite some time but after watching the last three games with Hundley playing quarterback it seems he has solely benefitted from having two HOF quarterbacks starting close to every single game for the Packers.

It's way less fun once you take the red pill and see what life is like outside the wonderland that Rodgers built for everyone.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers may or may not fire anyone after this season, but I do see a big winner and at least one loser coming out of the injury to Rodgers.

Winner: Aaron Rodgers himself. Remove #12 from the lineup and you have an average to below average team. His value is no longer represented by "He's really good, but he has a lot of talent around him too". No, Aaron Rodger IS great and he will be adding a few more million to his next contract as a result of everyone seeing just what his true value to the team is.

Loser: Davante Adams. #17 is a FA after this season. Without AR feeding him the ball, his stats will no doubt be lower than expected with #12. Yes, he will still get a decent offer by some team, but I think that offer isn't going to be nearly as high as it might have been.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen some of the worst formations that I've ever seen in my life which have no business being in the NFL. Leaving a gaping hole in the middle of the field, running a punt block formation are some idiotic ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews isn't a great inside linebacker though. While I understand it's easy to blame Capers for the defensive shortcomings the players definitely deserve the lion's share for it.

I was against sticking Clay at ILB earlier because I didn't like the prospect of losing one of our best pass rushers. Problem is he's gotten a bit slower with his age and isn't getting home nearly as much.

Also, as much as the thread is about Capers, I think we've all blamed the players as the number 1 culprits in this. It's just that players ******** up seems to be a recurring theme with this D lately, and when it's happened across multiple personnel groupings, Capers has to start owning it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Loser: Davante Adams. #17 is a FA after this season. Without AR feeding him the ball, his stats will no doubt be lower than expected with #12. Yes, he will still get a decent offer by some team, but I think that offer isn't going to be nearly as high as it might have been.

I have thought of this as well over the past few games. The Packers might be able to re-sign Adams on the cheap side because of Rodgers' injury.

I was against sticking Clay at ILB earlier because I didn't like the prospect of losing one of our best pass rushers. Problem is he's gotten a bit slower with his age and isn't getting home nearly as much.

While I agree that Matthews has definitely regressed as a pass rusher he definitely isn't a great fit to play inside either.

Also, as much as the thread is about Capers, I think we've all blamed the players as the number 1 culprits in this. It's just that players ******** up seems to be a recurring theme with this D lately, and when it's happened across multiple personnel groupings, Capers has to start owning it.

There are several posters around the forum that solely blame Capers and his scheme for the defensive shortcomings.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have thought of this as well over the past few games. The Packers might be able to re-sign Adams on the cheap side because of Rodgers' injury.

Wouldn't his reduced cost to the Packers just be half the story? Any team looking to sign him away (because they, too, know the poor stats are due to the QB, et. al.) would be able to offer a reduced package, too, right? So, yes, it'll probably cost Adams, but does it really mean the Pack has a better chance at retaining him than they would if he still had AR?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Wouldn't his reduced cost to the Packers just be half the story? Any team looking to sign him away (because they, too, know the poor stats are due to the QB, et. al.) would be able to offer a reduced package, too, right? So, yes, it'll probably cost Adams, but does it really mean the Pack has a better chance at retaining him than they would if he still had AR?

Adams best move might be to sign a one year deal, with the Packers. Knowing his market value might be down a bit after this season, but could skyrocket when AR comes back in 2018. Taking what may be a perceived (by Adams and his agent) low end long term deal with any team, probably will be off the table for him.

From the Packers standpoint, they know what they have in Adams, I wouldn't be disappointed if they paid him what he was worth (with or without Rodgers) and locked him in long term. Jordy isn't getting any younger and Allison, besides the Bengals game, has been pretty quiet.

As bad as our defense is right now, the Packers need to start focusing more on that offense and providing AR with all the tools he needs. Seems like without AR, the current starters on offense are just average and that OL is going to need a starter at RT and more depth.

Yeah, I know.....we are in the Capers thread so back to it...... FIRE HIM ALREADY!

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Vikings actually prove that it's possible to have an overall talented roster with even more salary cap space allocated to the quarterback position than the Packers have. Just imagine what Rodgers would have been able to achieve with a team around him like that.

How many playoff games have we lost because McCarthy played to conservative please answer that McCarthy needs to go

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams best move might be to sign a one year deal, with the Packers. Knowing his market value might be down a bit after this season, but could skyrocket when AR comes back in 2018. Taking what may be a perceived (by Adams and his agent) low end long term deal with any team, probably will be off the table for him.

It's a rare situation where the player may benefit from the franchise tag. If I'm Adams I place my multi year value at where it was before the Rodgers injury and if they don't meet it, I don't sign.

Then I bank on the team tagging me (They most likely will), get a full year under the tag with Rodgers next year, and have even more leverage having already been tagged once.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

From the Packers standpoint, they know what they have in Adams, I wouldn't be disappointed if they paid him what he was worth (with or without Rodgers) and locked him in long term. Jordy isn't getting any younger and Allison, besides the Bengals game, has been pretty quiet.

As bad as our defense is right now, the Packers need to start focusing more on that offense and providing AR with all the tools he needs. Seems like without AR, the current starters on offense are just average and that OL is going to need a starter at RT and more depth.

Yeah, I know.....we are in the Capers thread so back to it...... FIRE HIM ALREADY!
Yeah I think we are at an actual conclusion in this never ending thread. I haven't seen anybody actually defend Dom in quite some time. I think even some of his supporters have finally agreed .. time for Capers to go bye bye.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I think we are at an actual conclusion in this never ending thread. I haven't seen anybody actually defend Dom in quite some time. I think even some of his supporters have finally agreed .. time for Capers to go bye bye.

35 people have voted so far in the poll I posted about coaching changes after this season.

All 35 have affirmed that Capers should lose his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts