Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO the total number of tackles and sacks aren´t the best metric to measure a nose tackle´s performance. As another poster suggested I would be fine with bringing him back for a moderate, short-term contract but would for sure not overpay for him.

I agree that it's not a great metric but it's a starting point. I'm looking for something, anything that grades Raji out as an above average 3-4 NT. PFF rankings would work fine for me too. I just haven't seen anything other than people saying it.

I would also be fine with another similar deal but he's probably running out of time for a multi year deal and may be seeking one.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it's not a great metric but it's a starting point. I'm looking for something, anything that grades Raji out as an above average 3-4 NT. PFF rankings would work fine for me too. I just haven't seen anything other than people saying it.

PFF graded Raji with a total score of 66.8 which ranks 23rd among free agent interior defenders.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see what kind of interest Raji gets in FA. I certainly wouldn't enter a bidding war to keep him or pay him enough to avoid him getting to free agency (depending of course on what it would take). Guion was great late in the season on the goal line and Pennel progressed too. This is McGinn's comment on Raji's 2015 season:
Started out like gangbusters as if it were 2010 all over again, dominating the Seahawks' interior in Game 2. Suffered a groin injury in Game 5, returned in Game 7 and just kind of held the fort until he began feeling and moving better in December. Started at NT in base and played some early downs in sub. Finished with six pressures, just 1 1/2 fewer than the last time he played (2013) but a far cry from '10, when he posted 33 1/2 in astronomical 85% play time. He's a consistent, smart, committed anchor against the run. He'll be unrestricted come March. Grade: B-minus.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eport-card-defense-b99656529z1-366332901.html

Grave

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have a below average NT and are weak at inside linebacker, not sure coaching is the problem there. This defense that everyone is complaining about forced Russell Wilson into his worst game EVER and just forced Palmer into his worst game of the season; if not for Shields dropping an easy INT (which is somehow capers fault?) or a rookie corner blowing his coverage (par for the course for a team constructed the way the Packers are built), the Packers defense would have carried the offense to a win against Arizona. I think people are too quick to forget that outside of two VERY lucky throws to Janis, the Packers offense didn't do much in this game.
Queens picked up a FA NT we could have used. Why didn't Capers get TT on that guy? The o-line is wretched. Do you think it affects the offense?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Queens picked up a FA NT we could have used. Why didn't Capers get TT on that guy? The o-line is wretched. Do you think it affects the offense?

Is Capers now being blamed for Thompson not getting a better NT? Have we moved to this level of Capers-blame; Capers is now the guy at fault for personnel issues?

And I could care less what effect the oline had on the offense. That has no releveance to my point that the offense didn't do much in the Cardinals game. Was there a separate oline that the Packers could have played instead but didn't? I said that the defense could have carried the offense to a win against the Cardinals. It should also be pointed out that the oline didn't have a bad day against the Cardinals so "wretched" is a bit much.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need I say any more? Offense alone is a plethora of bad, but man ... allowing a team worse than the 2008 Lions to hang up near 50 on you. Atrocious and inexcusable. This defense is a mess and first person hitting the door this offseason is Dom Capers. Get a new college football DC in here to take over, get somebody that has a very aggressive defensive scheme and that doesn't let players lose coverage assignments. Capers is done.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Need I say any more? Offense alone is a plethora of bad, but man ... allowing a team worse than the 2008 Lions to hang up near 50 on you. Atrocious and inexcusable. This defense is a mess and first person hitting the door this offseason is Dom Capers. Get a new college football DC in here to take over, get somebody that has a very aggressive defensive scheme and that doesn't let players lose coverage assignments. Capers is done.

Why are things always exaggerated when things are bad?

Calling the Titans, who did put up 35+ the last two weeks and have five wins, worse than possibly the worst them ever is insane.

Not defending Capers or the defense, just pointing out how ridiculous that statement is.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why are things always exaggerated when things are bad?

Calling the Titans, who did put up 35+ the last two weeks and have five wins, worse than possibly the worst them ever is insane.

Not defending Capers or the defense, just pointing out how ridiculous that statement is.
I ts time

Im always forgiving, but its time.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the special teams coach? They also need the boot.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is the special teams coach? They also need the boot.

That would be Ron Zook, admittedly I'm not that impressed with him, anymore than I was Slocum, but right now ST is pretty much just a cherry on top of anything else going on. Capers did have a few good seasons with us, but he's gone down wayward lane now.

H

HardRightEdge

I was of the opinion that Capers should have been fired after the 2012 season.
2011: A route-jumping secondary that lost its taste for tackling, seting all-time records for pass yardage and +20 pass plays surrendered. It showed up in the playoffs when they could only get 1 pick on Manning while they could neither cover nor tackle Nicks.

2012: The Kaepernick 45 point romp-a-thon. Yes, that should have been Capers' exit ticket. Woodson complained that no adjustments were made a halftime. Woodson was fired instead.

2013: The D allowed TD drives of 63 yds. and 65 yds. in the 4th. quarter against SF. The first of a series of failures to close.

2014: Do we need to recount again Seattle's yards, scores, and the little time it took to dissolve a big lead and the season? The ultimate failure of a defense to close a game.

2015: Another failure to close: Fitzgerald.

2016: The D has progressed from failing to close games to failing close halves and now giving away games in the first quarter.

The players keep changing and results are the same or worse.

There's only one choice. Is it finally clear?

Either you can blame the players in which case Thompson should be retired given the draft capital, cap and free agent signings he's expended on the defense. Or you can blame Capers for not performing with expensive material.

You choose. I say Capers first. It wouldn't break my heart if it was both. And if it's both, McCarthy will go out the door under a new regime.

If you're going to burn it down, then burn it to the ground.

Lakekab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not ready to say fire him... however, it has been an extremely frustrating game... still no effort into tackles (i.e. trying to shoulder people down), weird formations (i.e. Perry in coverage against a 5 wide set), and ineffective blitzes
Fire the entire coaching staff! This team is horrible, Pack and Bears battle for last place in the North.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011: A route-jumping secondary that lost its taste for tackling, seting all-time records for pass yardage and +20 pass plays surrendered. It showed up in the playoffs when they could only get 1 pick on Manning while they could neither cover nor tackle Nicks.

2012: The Kaepernick 45 point romp-a-thon. Yes, that should have been Capers' exit ticket. Woodson complained that no adjustments were made a halftime. Woodson was fired instead.

2013: The D allowed TD drives of 63 yds. and 65 yds. in the 4th. quarter against SF. The first of a series of failures to close.

2014: Do we need to recount again Seattle's yards, scores, and the little time it took to dissolve a big lead and the season? The ultimate failure of a defense to close a game.

2015: Another failure to close: Fitzgerald.

2016: The D has progressed from failing to close games to failing close halves and now giving away games in the first quarter.

The players keep changing and results are the same or worse.

There's only one choice. Is it finally clear?

Either you can blame the players in which case Thompson should be retired given the draft capital, cap and free agent signings he's expended on the defense. Or you can blame Capers for not performing with expensive material.

You choose. I say Capers first. It wouldn't break my heart if it was both. And if it's both, McCarthy will go out the door under a new regime.

If you're going to burn it down, then burn it to the ground.

In 2011, it was bad but I could live with it then as the Pack had just come off a Superbowl win, and they led the league in turnovers that year too.

2012, the heat certainly was getting turned up, and not simply because of the Kaepernick game but just the overall direction the D had gone.

2013 I think was the year we all thought Capers was finished, but he likely got saved because of the Rodgers injury and being sidelined thing.

2014 was a mixed bag. At times the D looked stellar, other times it was muddy. Not sure I'd use the NFCCG as the game to put Capers under fire though.

2015: About the same, a mixed bag.

But this year no doubt this D has gone completely AWOL, and despite losing Shields and Randall I don't think that's enough to save Capers, especially with his failure to get sacks out of this unit.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2011, it was bad but I could live with it then as the Pack had just come off a Superbowl win, and they led the league in turnovers that year too.

2012, the heat certainly was getting turned up, and not simply because of the Kaepernick game but just the overall direction the D had gone.

2013 I think was the year we all thought Capers was finished, but he likely got saved because of the Rodgers injury and being sidelined thing.

2014 was a mixed bag. At times the D looked stellar, other times it was muddy. Not sure I'd use the NFCCG as the game to put Capers under fire though.

2015: About the same, a mixed bag.

But this year no doubt this D has gone completely AWOL, and despite losing Shields and Randall I don't think that's enough to save Capers, especially with his failure to get sacks out of this unit.

I think Capers was saved in 2013 because the defense was decent against SF in the playoffs. If they got blown out that game, I remember feeling at the time that Capers would be gone.

mkonyn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be Ron Zook, admittedly I'm not that impressed with him, anymore than I was Slocum, but right now ST is pretty much just a cherry on top of anything else going on. Capers did have a few good seasons with us, but he's gone down wayward lane now.

Maybe, but in the last two weeks they've given up a TD on the opening kickoff, fumbled a punt, and missed an extra point not counting all the stupid, stupid penatlies they've committed.

H

HardRightEdge

7:11 elapsed game clock, 206 yds., 3 TDs to close the game.

If that doesn't deserve to be put under fire I don't know what does.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Pretty bad when **** Labeau coached the Packers D in the 70's and now sticking it to Capers who probably thinks he has life time tenure in Green Bay

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
7:11 elapsed game clock, 206 yds., 3 TDs to close the game.

If that doesn't deserve to be put under fire I don't know what does.

It's just that our D created all those turnovers, offense failed to capitalize, ST gave up that fake FG, muffed the onside kick ... etc. Rightfully Slocum got the axe for that, and it's looking more and more like MM's failures in that game triggered more of what's been the rolling snowball to today.

IMO, Capers's failure now is due to his schemes devolving into the Bob Sanders vanilla flavor and going away from the good old fashioned hard-sticking Fritz Shurmur days.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Staff and GM, it's over with this staff. I think the players have quit because they recognize what failed game plans look like. They should, we trot one out every week on both sides of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts