Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sigh, not over looking it, even brought up how the defense sucked.

I dont want to turn this isnt another pissing match..

I know we went over this before...and I said this before...The def and ST played horrible at the end.. I am fully on board that they screwed up....please go back and look how I never over looked the DEF screwed up..

You dont want to blame Rodgers and MM.as much as the def....Seems your 20% off, and 80 def and st..

I am only saying both sides of the ball share equally..Offense should have put the game away but didnt..

If Rodgers a td at end and throws a real bone headed int (he did it that year) can't pin that on def..Rodgers had the chance and blew it

I only disagree in that there's no way the defense shares equal blame. They forced Wilson into his worst game ever. Maybe the defense should get like 10%? But even that seems high considering what they did for most of that game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dom has spent his Packers career working himself out of a job. His 2nd half performance just cost us the playoffs. But you'll get your wish, because there's no coach accountability in Packers management.

You mean the second half where the defense gave up 13 points on the road to the best offense in the NFL? The second half where the defense got the ball right back after Rodgers threw an interception? I would LOVE to see what a coordinator who wanted to keep his job would do.

D

Deleted member 6794

After watching the defensive performance this season I have a hard time understanding why some fans would call for the team to fire Capers.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After watching the defensive performance this season I have a hard time understanding why some fans would call for the team to fire Capers.

Completely agree... If anything, this season tells me with the right talent the man still has it. I am pretty excited to see what they can do next year so I definitely don't want a change.

Reaction score
I am Reluctant as well to play the blame game.
First there isn't an Offense or Defense in this league that doesn't make mistakes week to week. If our Defense is so horrible imagine how the 11 teams we beat this year must feel. :mad:
There are 31 teams left every year that didnt achieve their goals and I can assure you there are fans in every stinking detail of why not.
We have a solid team both O and D to build on and I'm confident we'll be back in the playoffs next year.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am Reluctant as well to play the blame game.
First there isn't an Offense or Defense in this league that doesn't make mistakes week to week. If our Defense is so horrible imagine how the 11 teams we beat this year must feel. :mad:
There are 31 teams left every year that didnt achieve their goals and I can assure you there are fans in every stinking detail of why not.
We have a solid team both O and D to build on and I'm confident we'll be back in the playoffs next year.
It's just that it is 3 years in a row that the our season ended with the defense giving up a score. And 3 of the other years, the defense gave up like 40+ points. What do we need to have a defense that can make a final stand?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just that it is 3 years in a row that the our season ended with the defense giving up a score. And 3 of the other years, the defense gave up like 40+ points. What do we need to have a defense that can make a final stand?

Maybe having our offense show up in the last two playoff losses would help...

In seriousness the Packers held them under their season average even with an OT period touchdown. What more do you want from them. Offense needs to score more than 20 to beat Arizona. That's really all there is to it.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe having our offense show up in the last two playoff losses would help...

In seriousness the Packers held them under their season average even with an OT period touchdown. What more do you want from them. Offense needs to score more than 20 to beat Arizona. That's really all there is to it.
I agree, there need to be just as many changes on offense. The TE position not being dead weight would be a good start. But the offense pulled through at the end of all of those games, and the defense didn't.

Caleb Hendricks

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense did NOT lose this game. MM and AR did. 3 plays. 3 lousy plays cost the packers. right before half Mm call TO. The AR throws ball OB. leads to a 63 yard FG. Then AR throws int right after packers get ball back after Cobb return and defense forcing 3 and out. costs 7 points. Total of 10 points. packers lost by 8. Again it all falls on MM and AR. To think otherwise means you wear rose colored glasses

I will agree that the defense did not lose us this game, but it is crazy to say that it was McCarthy's or Aaron's. The entire offensive gameplan went out the window when Cobb went down, and the two were able to overcome it. Yes, there was missed opportunities on both sides of the ball, such is the game. But to point blame at the person who kept us in the game is asinine. By the logic that one or two plays were the reason, you could say that the penalty negating Cobb's amazing catch lost us the game because we would have had the ball inside the 5 and would have likely scored a touchdown on that drive instead of a FG. Everything is situational, and it is easy to look back in hindsight, but you can't blame a loss on a couple bad plays.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Caper's zany zones killed us in the 2nd half. And Palmer was hardly touched.

How can any coach play D schemes that his players don't understand? They's saying now that Fitz was Randall's guy. Funny how Randall didn't know that. Had Capers stuck with man Randall would have know his assignment. But tta'ts just too ****** basic for the genius innovator Capers.

And MM blows it off again as just another botched assignment.

How come you didn't complain about the complex blitzes used against the Redskins? Or are those not too innovative because they worked?

I highly doubt OT was the first time that play was ever run. When all other 10 guys on the field knew their job compared to one not knowing it, it's on Randall.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dom has spent his Packers career working himself out of a job. His 2nd half performance just cost us the playoffs. But you'll get your wish, because there's no coach accountability in Packers management.

Slocum was fired last offseason and Clements lost his play calling duties during the year. It's a stretch to say there is no coach accountability.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I only disagree in that there's no way the defense shares equal blame. They forced Wilson into his worst game ever. Maybe the defense should get like 10%? But even that seems high considering what they did for most of that game.

Saw this today

You can't put a lot on the defense when it takes 3 quarters for the offense to wake up and realize there is a game to play

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We appear to be a finesse team both on offense and defense. MM's playbook is thicker than a bible; Capers' schemes are so complicated that it takes players years to understand, similar to **** LeBeau's schemes in Pittsburgh. The problem is nobody keeps players for years, especially those who are the youngest year after year. We don't control the LOS on either side, mainly because we don't block or tackle well; which would seem to be a violation of basic football principle. Time for change, on both sides of the ball, imo.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say 40 yards and a 2 yd average is controlling the LOS. If you're expecting more, i'm not sure you'll ever be happy. It would be great to hold everyone to negative yards ala Reggie and company against the games best, but that was 1 game. if you're telling me our defense is holding a top rushing team to 40 yds and a 2 yard average I'm thinking they're playing well enough to win us almost any game. provided the rest of the team shows up to play too.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say 40 yards and a 2 yd average is controlling the LOS.
1 game doesn't make a season. We were 19th against the run by DVOA this season. And this is one of Capers' better defenses. Slocum was fired in 2008 for similar numbers. Add to this the defense gave up 88 "big plays" during the regular season; only 6 teams gave up more. And it is obvious Fitzgerald's play was another one. McCarthy's teams don't block well, and don't tackle well. The fact that they can do it sporadically would seem to indicate a problem with coaching wouldn't it?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have now fired 3 coaches in two offseason and relived another from his play calling duties.

If they found Capers a problem, I don't see why they'd let him stick around.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
1 game doesn't make a season. We were 19th against the run by DVOA this season. And this is one of Capers' better defenses.
I wouldn't be sorry to see Capers go but this is a bad year for Packers fans adamant about his firing. The D finished 12th in scoring D and yes it was one game - but it was the most important game of the season - the D held the #2 scoring offense to 10 points under their average in regulation.
The Packers have now fired 3 coaches in two offseason and relived another from his play calling duties. If they found Capers a problem, I don't see why they'd let him stick around.
I don't think those advocating his firing disagree that McCarthy doesn't see Capers as a problem. But that misses the point: They see him as a problem. And just because a coach or player is retained or fired/waived doesn't mean that was the correct decision.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We appear to be a finesse team both on offense and defense. MM's playbook is thicker than a bible; Capers' schemes are so complicated that it takes players years to understand, similar to **** LeBeau's schemes in Pittsburgh. The problem is nobody keeps players for years, especially those who are the youngest year after year. We don't control the LOS on either side, mainly because we don't block or tackle well; which would seem to be a violation of basic football principle. Time for change, on both sides of the ball, imo.

Packers have a below average NT and are weak at inside linebacker, not sure coaching is the problem there. This defense that everyone is complaining about forced Russell Wilson into his worst game EVER and just forced Palmer into his worst game of the season; if not for Shields dropping an easy INT (which is somehow capers fault?) or a rookie corner blowing his coverage (par for the course for a team constructed the way the Packers are built), the Packers defense would have carried the offense to a win against Arizona. I think people are too quick to forget that outside of two VERY lucky throws to Janis, the Packers offense didn't do much in this game.

Caleb Hendricks

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say 40 yards and a 2 yd average is controlling the LOS. If you're expecting more, i'm not sure you'll ever be happy. It would be great to hold everyone to negative yards ala Reggie and company against the games best, but that was 1 game. if you're telling me our defense is holding a top rushing team to 40 yds and a 2 yard average I'm thinking they're playing well enough to win us almost any game. provided the rest of the team shows up to play too.

Capers did an excellent job cleaning up our run defense this season. If you take away the Denver game, one drive by Darren McFadden, and the 55 yard run by Todd Gurley, our run defense was virtually a wall the entire season. The biggest issue our defense had this season was getting off of the field on third down. We lacked someone in the middle who was solid in coverage, a guy who could cover a RB out of the backfield or cover a TE. Someone with good range and open field tackling for all of the underneath routes that were run against us on 3rd down early on in drives.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be too ******* Sam Shields, his presence helped our D a lot all the way around. We're better when he's there. Those INT's could have sealed that game for us, but it is what it is. His coverage was outstanding all over that field and was a big reason we were in the game to begin with.

I think it was the long layoff. His physical skills were there for coverage, but not playing game speed and having to react to receivers and then also locate and react to the ball were not. It's too bad, because normally I think he gets at least one of those.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Capers did an excellent job cleaning up our run defense this season. If you take away the Denver game, one drive by Darren McFadden, and the 55 yard run by Todd Gurley, our run defense was virtually a wall the entire season.
This is a little like saying except for all the points they didn’t score and for all the points they surrendered, the Packers would have won a title this season. ;) Obviously you can’t take away this or that. Stats aren't the 'end all be all' but they do mean something and they don’t agree with you. According to nfl.com (for all these stats), Packers finished 21st in yards rushing per game surrendered (119.1) and tied for 26th in yards per rush (4.5).
The biggest issue our defense had this season was getting off of the field on third down. We lacked someone in the middle who was solid in coverage, a guy who could cover a RB out of the backfield or cover a TE. Someone with good range and open field tackling for all of the underneath routes that were run against us on 3rd down early on in drives.
I agree the D lacked an ILB but the Packers D finished 9th in 3rd down percentage. Don’t get me wrong, as I said above, this isn’t a good season for those who want Capers fired and the offense was the obvious problem this season. But it wasn’t all sunshine and light on D and the D was actually better vs. the pass – they finished 7th in opponent’s QB rating and tied for 7th in INTs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is an instance where I don't think stats tell the entire story either. You can take all the rushing yards out of the Rams game for all I care or add them, they were meaningless. We had a 17 point lead, or whatever it was and they were still just running the ball late in the game. They got some yards by the end, that meant absolutely nothing.

But they held AP to some of his lowest totals of the season, Forte to under 3 yards per carry, How did Charles do against us? The Cards averaging 120 and 4.2 get 40yds and 2per carry. Marshawn lynch had under 3 yards and under 50 for the day. The final stats can say what they want, but we faced some big time backs and running attacks this year and stood up pretty well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have a hard time wrapping my head around firing Capers after this year. I understood the talk a few years ago, but at the time, look at the players he had to work with. Some of those players are now gone and didn't amount to much with other teams and have been replaced by younger more promising talent. I think this year we began to see what Capers can do with talent and this will even be better next year. Now all he needs are 1-2 ILB's , return Clay to the outside and sign the FA's worth keeping.

Imagine what this defense would have looked like this year with 2 quality ILB's (Clay playing OLB).

Last edited:

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have a below average NT and are weak at inside linebacker, not sure coaching is the problem there. This defense that everyone is complaining about forced Russell Wilson into his worst game EVER and just forced Palmer into his worst game of the season; if not for Shields dropping an easy INT (which is somehow capers fault?) or a rookie corner blowing his coverage (par for the course for a team constructed the way the Packers are built), the Packers defense would have carried the offense to a win against Arizona. I think people are too quick to forget that outside of two VERY lucky throws to Janis, the Packers offense didn't do much in this game.

Agree with most of your post, however, Raji certainly was not below average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts