Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To add to that, DC's gotta know that at some point there's going to be roster turnover and that aging veterans get replaced, it's how the game works. But there are geniuses out there who know how to plug and play and replace those guys, such as Rod Marinelli and James Bettcher, and lately Capers isn't doing that.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it does seem that he's slow to adjust. We lose our leading tackler and are lost out there for 4 TD's in a row without a hint of stopping anything

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just would think at some point he'd try implementing some basic man coverage schemes or some kind of easy assignment function plays to prevent blown coverages across the board. Plus I don't know if I'm just nitpicking or not looking closely enough, but seems like our corner blitzing packages have gone down or away lately or something. I always liked the extensive use of those whenever there was base nickel sets.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I ts time

Im always forgiving, but its time.
Yup.
I used to excuse Capers and point out how it was on the players not doing their jobs. Even they themselves admitted that.
But now I'm starting to think different. Get rid of Capers.
These guys need someone to light a fire under their butts.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
**** LeBeau, who teaches the same defense, would turn things around instantly. Assuming the GM gave him some playmakers.

Reaction score
**** LeBeau, who teaches the same defense, would turn things around instantly. Assuming the GM gave him some playmakers.
I agree. We also need to give TT serious consideration for allowing such a debacle of depth happen in our D backfield. He is a large part to blame for walking several veterans and running with such an imbalance of non experience in the secondary. This was as catastrophic a failure as running with 2 half hacks

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No point firing Capers now. Season is lost. By the way, it's time to start looking at a replacement for CM. This guy is injured all the time and isn't worth his pay.

OP
OP
A

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find it hilarious that this thread is well over four years and 1360 replies old.

And the sad part is that Capers is still around. Completely different players and this defense continues to blow. Capers defense sucks and no matter how long it is on 3rd down. They will get the first. And people need to stop using injuries as excuses. Every team deals with those. I really hope this clown gets fired

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought things were turning around for this defense earlier this year. I have no idea if they are as bad as they have looked the last 2 weeks or if they are just going through the motions having quit on MM and the season. There are 2 things I see that I do not like though.

1. Secondary communication. Why are these guys not on the same page. I don't care who is hurt and who is playing. You are all professionals. You have got to know if you are in man or zone and who you have and who everyone else has. Its every week that we have a cb let a guy after he leaves his zone only to realize that there is no safety in the deeper zone. How is this happening?

2. Blitz execution. What are you teaching these guys in practice? You dial it up and they just run into each other and get no pressure. The timing and spacing is not correct.

Those 2 things are huge problems as they both lead to big plays. I realize the players play but these are chronic mental errors and I attribute those to coaching or a lack there of.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He is 80

He is with Tennessee

He was the coach of Pittsburgh when we beat them in the SB

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No point firing Capers now. Season is lost. By the way, it's time to start looking at a replacement for CM. This guy is injured all the time and isn't worth his pay.

Isn't it interesting that when Matthews was playing ILB he wasn't getting hurt hardly any. But he insists that he is so good at OLB. Not so much if you aren't on the field. Your body can't take the punishment.

At this point I'm in the play out the season camp. After the season let everybody go. I think the messages from the coaches has gone stale and the players aren't 'into' the games. It's time for a new regime.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think if the tank continues, Capers is history. There's no point in keeping Bennett around either, who was a great position coach, but promoting him to OC seems to have been a big mistake because they've completely lost their way on offense since he took over.

Tom Klement... I have no idea why he's even still here. He isn't the OC, and he doesn't call plays. Whatever he offers as far as offensive guidance, obviously isn't making a damn bit of difference .

Packer4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011: A route-jumping secondary that lost its taste for tackling, seting all-time records for pass yardage and +20 pass plays surrendered. It showed up in the playoffs when they could only get 1 pick on Manning while they could neither cover nor tackle Nicks.

2012: The Kaepernick 45 point romp-a-thon. Yes, that should have been Capers' exit ticket. Woodson complained that no adjustments were made a halftime. Woodson was fired instead.

2013: The D allowed TD drives of 63 yds. and 65 yds. in the 4th. quarter against SF. The first of a series of failures to close.

2014: Do we need to recount again Seattle's yards, scores, and the little time it took to dissolve a big lead and the season? The ultimate failure of a defense to close a game.

2015: Another failure to close: Fitzgerald.

2016: The D has progressed from failing to close games to failing close halves and now giving away games in the first quarter.

The players keep changing and results are the same or worse.

There's only one choice. Is it finally clear?

Either you can blame the players in which case Thompson should be retired given the draft capital, cap and free agent signings he's expended on the defense. Or you can blame Capers for not performing with expensive material.

You choose. I say Capers first. It wouldn't break my heart if it was both. And if it's both, McCarthy will go out the door under a new regime.

If you're going to burn it down, then burn it to the ground.

Finally, someone who gets it. You have echoed my sentiments exactly.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazes me every game how open receivers on the other team are all game long. How does a tight end have 100 yards in a half? Sure blame it on players and injuries if you want, but at the end of the day it's up to Capers to make the personel he's got work successfully and overcome that adversity which he's obviously not been able to do at all.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's amazes me every game how open receivers on the other team are all game long. How does a tight end have 100 yards in a half? Sure blame it on players and injuries if you want, but at the end of the day it's up to Capers to make the personel he's got work successfully and overcome that adversity which he's obviously not been able to do at all.

Agreed. This man has been given plenty of time to turn this around. Enough is enough..

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Again it's about next year and going forward. As others are mentioning, he's either letting stuff go in practice such as communication and assignments without fixing them, or he's gotten stubborn trying to fit square pegs in round holes too. I know he's gotten 9 lives around here before but after yesterday, that seat just got 30 degrees hotter up in there and if he isn't the first to go this offseason ... God help us all.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is 80

He is with Tennessee

He was the coach of Pittsburgh when we beat them in the SB
Point being?? Tennessee's defense was a joke before LeBeau took over last year, when he was only 79. The guy can coach. We haven't had a defense to depend upon for 6 years under our genius.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Point being?? Tennessee's defense was a joke before LeBeau took over last year, when he was only 79. The guy can coach. We haven't had a defense to depend upon for 6 years under our genius.

Gotta go newer in the area of DC, because retreads like this guy or Dom don't give offenses any new wrinkles, as opposed to guys like Matt Patricia and Paul Guenther who know how to lock it down.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dom has wrinkles. He blitzed his *** off last week....safeties...corners. The problem is they didn't know what the **** they were doing. They all ran into each other. Dom usually calls a pretty good game and the plays he calls should work. When ********* go into zone coverage when they have a man assignment or when the blitzers run into a filled gap with horrible timing you end up with the **** show we see each week.

IMO Dom knows what he is doing and he is calling a good game. ...however....the players can't execute what he wants to do for ****. Great strategist and a terrible teacher. He either has to dumb it down for them, replace all of them or someone needs to be brought in that can get the ideas translated into production. Whitt gets all this respect for being a great coach but his guys are mentally lost out there.

Now lets bring TT into this. You have this elaborate defensive scheme that takes years to learn and you are turning the damn roster over every year. No one is on the same page in this organization. Mark Murphy needs to stop building the damn vault for all the titletown district money and get his organization back in order.

D

Deleted member 6794

You have this elaborate defensive scheme that takes years to learn and you are turning the damn roster over every year.

Capers has simplified his defensive scheme to accomodate perennially having one of the youngest teams in the league. Nevertheless it doesn't seem to work though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts