Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2011: A route-jumping secondary that lost its taste for tackling, seting all-time records for pass yardage and +20 pass plays surrendered. It showed up in the playoffs when they could only get 1 pick on Manning while they could neither cover nor tackle Nicks.

2012: The Kaepernick 45 point romp-a-thon. Yes, that should have been Capers' exit ticket. Woodson complained that no adjustments were made a halftime. Woodson was fired instead.

2013: The D allowed TD drives of 63 yds. and 65 yds. in the 4th. quarter against SF. The first of a series of failures to close.

2014: Do we need to recount again Seattle's yards, scores, and the little time it took to dissolve a big lead and the season? The ultimate failure of a defense to close a game.

2015: Another failure to close: Fitzgerald.

2016: The D has progressed from failing to close games to failing close halves and now giving away games in the first quarter.

The players keep changing and results are the same or worse.

There's only one choice. Is it finally clear?

Either you can blame the players in which case Thompson should be retired given the draft capital, cap and free agent signings he's expended on the defense. Or you can blame Capers for not performing with expensive material.

You choose. I say Capers first. It wouldn't break my heart if it was both. And if it's both, McCarthy will go out the door under a new regime.

If you're going to burn it down, then burn it to the ground.
You are right. Im a big Capers fan and have always taken up for him, but I think his time is up also. This team need a culture change starting with TT.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really would like to see it happen TODAY. Let Winston Moss get a trial run at DC for the last 7 games. And then maybe that's your guy going forward.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really would like to see it happen TODAY. Let Winston Moss get a trial run at DC for the last 7 games. And then maybe that's your guy going forward.

Certainly couldn't hurt, but this team has never fired any coaches in the middle of the season, short of them breaking the law or something. So .... likely going to have to wait till this season's over.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta go newer in the area of DC, because retreads like this guy or Dom don't give offenses any new wrinkles, as opposed to guys like Matt Patricia and Paul Guenther who know how to lock it down.
Simply pointing out age has nothing to do with performance. LeBeau turned a terrible Tennessee defense into a respectable one in a year. It's all about teaching ability and putting players in positions to make plays. Capers has failed at this for 6 years.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Dom has wrinkles. He blitzed his *** off last week....safeties...corners. The problem is they didn't know what the **** they were doing. They all ran into each other. Dom usually calls a pretty good game and the plays he calls should work. When ********* go into zone coverage when they have a man assignment or when the blitzers run into a filled gap with horrible timing you end up with the **** show we see each week.

IMO Dom knows what he is doing and he is calling a good game. ...however....the players can't execute what he wants to do for ****. Great strategist and a terrible teacher. He either has to dumb it down for them, replace all of them or someone needs to be brought in that can get the ideas translated into production. Whitt gets all this respect for being a great coach but his guys are mentally lost out there.

Now lets bring TT into this. You have this elaborate defensive scheme that takes years to learn and you are turning the damn roster over every year. No one is on the same page in this organization. Mark Murphy needs to stop building the damn vault for all the titletown district money and get his organization back in order.
You can explain it away any way that you wish, at the end of the day, Capers is in charge of the defense and if guys are in the wrong spots, it ultimately falls back on him. The excuses being made for this man are hilarious.

Good communicators and good coaches don't have these types of issues. Because if that is the case, their *** would be riding some pine until they proved that they could get it done.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are right. Im a big Capers fan and have always taken up for him, but I think his time is up also. This team need a culture change starting with TT.

Perhaps we could snatch away Dave Aranda from LSU? Similar scheme and he's out of the college ranks so he's used to teaching a scheme to kids in a year or two.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simply pointing out age has nothing to do with performance. LeBeau turned a terrible Tennessee defense into a respectable one in a year. It's all about teaching ability and putting players in positions to make plays. Capers has failed at this for 6 years.

Of those two Capers was the visionary architect but LeBeau was the engineer. One is just better at making things work and producing a unit that executes at the field. Capers strikes me as being more of a teacher than a doer.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And many more to come. It's a long way to the conclusion of the season. Capers will last at least that long.
Agreed, I'd be very surprised if anyone at any level gets fired prior to the end of the season.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers is the favorite punching bag for frustrated fans. Capers is no majician. The talent on the defense is below averase and he can't make up for the fact that Hyde and Gunter don't have NFL speed or that Goodson is totally in over his head or that Lowry and Fackrell should be on the practice squad.

H

HardRightEdge

Capers is the favorite punching bag for frustrated fans. Capers is no majician. The talent on the defense is below averase and he can't make up for the fact that Hyde and Gunter don't have NFL speed or that Goodson is totally in over his head or that Lowry and Fackrell should be on the practice squad.
Then you must endorse firing Thompson, in which case all the dominos will fall.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. TN's starters in the secondary are no better than GB's backups, so injuries are no excuse. I've watched them play all year, and if they are getting beat, it's because they are outmanned; it's not like GB, where it looks like many of the players on the field haven't the slightest idea where they should be or what assignments they have. Horrible coaching.

D

Deleted member 6794

Unfortunately I don't expect the Packers to make any moves before the end of the season.

The talent on the defense is below averase and he can't make up for the fact that Hyde and Gunter don't have NFL speed or that Goodson is totally in over his head or that Lowry and Fackrell should be on the practice squad.

Fackrell and especially Lowry haven't received enough playing time to be considered scapegoats.

Get Monti Kiffin or Lovie Smith as defensive coordinator please.

Both Kiffin and Smith didn't have a lot of success running a defense the last time they coached in the NFL.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then you must endorse firing Thompson, in which case all the dominos will fall.
Yes
TT is asleep at the switch. He appears to work part time and he has had waaaaay to many high draft pick busts and overreached for players in the mid rounds that he could have gotten in the 7th round. Guys like Richard Rogers, Dean Lowry, Thornton, etc, etc. When you put 90 % of your eggs in the draft and development basket and your drafts are subpar them it's time to go play golf.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes
TT is asleep at the switch. He appears to work part time and he has had waaaaay to many high draft pick busts and overreached for players in the mid rounds that he could have gotten in the 7th round. Guys like Richard Rogers, Dean Lowry, Thornton, etc, etc. When you put 90 % of your eggs in the draft and development basket and your drafts are subpar them it's time to go play golf.
I have the impression that football is 100% of Thompson's life; and I imagine he eats, sleeps, breathes, and brainstorms football 24/7. But you are correct that it isn't resulting in superior talent on the field. Maybe it's burnout and he needs a break. Whatever, I like him as a person and would love it if his talent analysis returns, like it did when he first took over from Sherman. He turned the franchise around much more quickly than thought possible, given the mess GM Sherman left behind.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have the impression that football is 100% of Thompson's life; and I imagine he eats, sleeps, breathes, and brainstorms football 24/7.

I agree that Thompson is fully invested into football but most likely is more of an excellent scout than an above average general manager.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How quickly we forget just last season, when the defense was good, to fit a narrative. Or how about early this year, when the defense was playing decently despite injuries and the offense couldn't do anything and the OFFENSE was why the team was losing games? Whole coaching staff needs to go, considering that with the players available, the offensive staff is doing FAR worse than the defensive coaches.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. TN's starters in the secondary are no better than GB's backups, so injuries are no excuse. I've watched them play all year, and if they are getting beat, it's because they are outmanned; it's not like GB, where it looks like many of the players on the field haven't the slightest idea where they should be or what assignments they have. Horrible coaching.

Did you actually watch the Tennessee game? Like when HaHa got beat by a 72 year old blocking TE? That wasn't coaching. How about when the corner was in perfect position to break up the TD pass to Rishard Matthews? Pretty sure it wasn't coaching that lead to the corner being oblivious. Let's not start making things up. Defense is bad enough based on reality, don't need to bring imagination into this.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Did you actually watch the Tennessee game? Like when HaHa got beat by a 72 year old blocking TE? That wasn't coaching. How about when the corner was in perfect position to break up the TD pass to Rishard Matthews? Pretty sure it wasn't coaching that lead to the corner being oblivious. Let's not start making things up. Defense is bad enough based on reality, don't need to bring imagination into this.

While I agree with your assessment on those 2 particular plays, some of that is actually coaching. While the coaches can't physically make the plays on the field, that is up to the players, the coaches are the ones responsible for teaching these guys their assignments, techniques, etc. If players are being coached correctly and still can't understand these things, then the player isn't very coachable/talented or the coach needs to find a new way to teach them. This growing epidemic of missed assignments, missed tackles, dropped passes, missed throws, etc also leads me to believe that a good portion of this is mental preparation before and during a game and somewhere along the line, coaches and players aren't doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.