Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with the assertion that the defense was the best part of the team in both 2009 and 2010.

I would also however mention that it is now 2017, the defense has (generally) stunk for 7 years with many different personnel, and that our defensive performances in 2009 and 2010 should in no way have anything to do with Capers' job security now.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yeah, the defense was the strongest part of the team in 2010. Rodgers had a nice season in 2010 but certainly not his best (15 games, 28 TDs and 11 INTs). So save the laughing face for actually ridiculous commentary....
Again...... :roflmao:

Rodgers struggled in the beginning stages of 2010, but finished his last 7 games of the season completing 71% of his passes with a 112.4 passer rating (which includes the Detroit game with limited action) with 16 TD's to 2 INT's.

In the playoffs Rodgers completed 68% of his passes with a 109.8 passer rating with 9 TD's to 2 INT's and put on arguably the greatest quarterback performance in the history of the playoffs against the Falcons going 31-36 for 366 yards 3 TD's to 0 INT's, 95 QBR, 136 passer rating. And then played great in the Super Bowl.

Yes, he got the benefit of the defense bailing him out in the NFCCG, but all teams have to have a defense that's capable of doing that in spurts.

So once again, using the term "mainly" is a bit extreme in my humble opinion. And yes, I feel like it's so extreme that it is laughing worthy. Was the defense great? Yes. Was Rodgers great? Yes as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A factor, not a huge factor. I think the difference might just be in phrasing. When you say huge factor, I think, "JJ Watt is a huge factor in a great defense." Rodgers helps the whole team, but he's not a huge factor for the defense.

I think you are missing the point. You are correct, Aaron Rodgers does not play defense and therefore he is not a direct factor in the success of the defense. However, Aaron Rodgers indirectly aids the defense in 3 important ways:
  1. Aaron Rodgers can keep the time of possession in the Packers favor. Keeping the opposing offense and our defense off the field. Less chances to score for the other team. Less need for stops by our defense.
  2. Aaron Rodgers can put points on the board to win games. Sometimes no matter how bad our defense has played, and that has been often, Aaron Rodgers is able to offset that by putting enough points on the board to end the game with a W.
  3. Aaron Rodgers can help keep the opponent pinned back. How many times do the Packers punt/game with #12? I am not going to look this up, but I am guessing it's less than average and when they do have to punt, the ball is probably close to mid field.
If you don't believe these things. Watch what probably will happen in the coming weeks without AR.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's not a direct defensive play. The contention that Rodgers helps Capers is vastly overstated. Yeah, obviously having the best QB in the NFL is helpful for a team, stating that he's been covering for the defensive coordinator is a bit of a stretch.

A factor, not a huge factor. I think the difference might just be in phrasing. When you say huge factor, I think, "JJ Watt is a huge factor in a great defense." Rodgers helps the whole team, but he's not a huge factor for the defense.

It should be pretty obvious to every Packers fan that Rodgers is definitely able to positively impact the defensive performance as him and the offense extending drives results in the defense being on the field less often.

I should have written "in the offseason" to complete the sentences.

I highly doubt the Packers would be able to overhaul the defensive personnel to perfectly fit a 4-3 scheme within a single offseason though.

Aaron Rodgers can help keep the opponent pinned back. How many times do the Packers punt/game with #12? I am not going to look this up, but I am guessing it's less than average and when they do have to punt, the ball is probably close to mid field.

As mentioned above I definitely agree that the Packers having Rodgers at quarterback hugely factors into the defensive performance. This season the team only ranks 14th in punt percentage as well as 16th in opposing starting field position per drive though.

HD3924

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"I highly doubt the Packers would be able to overhaul the defensive personnel to perfectly fit a 4-3 scheme within a single offseason though."

I thought, teams do it all the time, when they switch to a different defensive system ? the critical position seems to be the 4:3-DE to 3:4-OLB, what we have seen with Kampman. I surely can see Martinez, Ryan and Matthews as LB's in a 4:3-system, so to find DE's might be the first task. All together not a problem which cannot be solved from my point of view.

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought, teams do it all the time, when they switch to a different defensive system ? the critical position seems to be the 4:3-DE to 3:4-OLB, what we have seen with Kampman. I surely can see Martinez, Ryan and Matthews as LB's in a 4:3-system, so to find DE's might be the first task. All together not a problem which cannot be solved from my point of view.

The Packers haven't been able to consistently find impact players for their current defense over the past few years therefore I'm not optimistic about their ability to acquire enough talent to successfully switch scheme within a single offseason.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting shredded on screen passes on third down and soft zone D ....

Ridiculous!!!

He got lucky Brees gifted a few pints to us or this could been bad.

I'm for firing Capers and Ron Zook for this ridiculousness.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers has shown thst he can't mold TT's picks into an even average Defense over the past six years. While I defended him in the past and still think he's an average d coordinator, at this point there isn't much of a down side in firing Capers and bringing in somebody new. A new coordinator could help improve the defense or continue to trot out terrible defenses like Capers. At least with a change one could get a better indication if the Packers defensive woes are the result of poor coaching or just bad GM performance.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just think it's extremely telling that Micah Hyde is thriving in Buffalo after reaking up the joint here. I always thought the problem was him, but I believe Capers and his coaches are unsound in fundamentals.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I still believe losing #12 will should finally put the spotlight fully on the defense. Today was a classic example of needing your defense to step up and win a game and they couldn't. Capers and his defense can no longer ride the coattails of #12 and hide in the shadows. It's your time Dom. Hope you have retirement plans.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe losing #12 will finally put the spotlight fully on the defense. Today was a classic example of needing your defense to step up and win a game and they couldn't. Capers and his defense can no longer ride the coattails of #12 and hide in the shadows. It's your time Dom. Hope you have retirement plans.

Problem is one might have thought 2013 would've already established this, yet instead it got Capers's contract extended. Injuries, whether they're to the defensive players or to Rodgers always seem to be giving this guy a free pass.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is one might have thought 2013 would've already established this, yet instead it got Capers's contract extended. Injuries, whether they're to the defensive players or to Rodgers always seem to be giving this guy a free pass.
100% with you. That’s the negative to a publicly owned team, no “owner” to keep guys accountable.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, least we can try getting petitions going asking Murphy to step in dump Capers come offseason.
Petitions are meaningless. Mark Murphy may be the most spineless executive in sports history. Teddy has him wrapped around his finger. The reality of that is Murphy has one purpose. To make money. They do that in epic fashion. Regardless of the product on the field.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Petitions are meaningless. Mark Murphy may be the most spineless executive in sports history. Teddy has him wrapped around his finger. The reality of that is Murphy has one purpose. To make money. They do that in epic fashion. Regardless of the product on the field.

Either way, I still like having voting power as a stockholder. Some way somehow, firing Capers must be on this next meeting's referendum.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

good point, I edited it to read:

I still believe losing #12 will should finally put the spotlight fully on the defense. Today was a classic example of needing your defense to step up and win a game and they couldn't. Capers and his defense can no longer ride the coattails of #12 and hide in the shadows. It's your time Dom. Hope you have retirement plans.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OT-Can anyone of our mods get a hold of Guinness and find out if we set the world record for longest chatroom thread?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
OT-Can anyone of our mods get a hold of Guinness and find out if we set the world record for longest chatroom thread?

I'm for the Guinness. Can we please FIRE FREAKING CAPERS??? Please please please with a cherry on top and a Guiness served by the hottie of you choice to boot?

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe losing #12 will should finally put the spotlight fully on the defense.
What good is a spotlight going to do? It's not like it's a secret that our defense has stunk for seven straight years now.

Let's say we lose the bulk of our games this year and get a fairly high first round pick. At this point, if I'm Ted Thompson, I would probably try to find a good offensive weapon. Because why spend the draft on trying to shore up the defense when Capers doesn't know how to utilize the new guys anyway? If the defense is going to stink forever, might as well try to build the best freaking offense possible.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What good is a spotlight going to do? It's not like it's a secret that our defense has stunk for seven straight years now.

Let's say we lose the bulk of our games this year and get a fairly high first round pick. At this point, if I'm Ted Thompson, I would probably try to find a good offensive weapon. Because why spend the draft on trying to shore up the defense when Capers doesn't know how to utilize the new guys anyway? If the defense is going to stink forever, might as well try to build the best freaking offense possible.
Let's hope Teddy isn't around to draft that weapon if we lose the bulk of our games. He'd probably trade down to pick up a couple third day picks anyway.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Also check and see if any other defensive coordinator in NFL history has ever been brought back for yet another season after 6 straight seasons without a top 10 defense in which time said defense averaged #20 overall.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's hope Teddy isn't around to draft that weapon if we lose the bulk of our games. He'd probably trade down to pick up a couple third day picks anyway.
I'm not a huge Ted fan, although I'm not looking to get rid of him either (unless it is to keep our next GM prospect from leaving, like say Wolf). But if the team Ted put together can't perform without Rodgers, it does make some sort of statement, doesn't it? Someone here said that this shows that Ted's success comes largely from having Rodgers fall into his lap in the draft, and at this point that's hard to argue.

Also check and see if any other defensive coordinator in NFL history has ever been brought back for yet another season after 6 straight seasons without a top 10 defense in which time said defense averaged #20 overall.
A very interesting question. I suspect it is actually probably fairly common. But add in the fact that the GM has been drafting to improve the defense for years. Plus this team needs a good defense to take advantage of the window that it has Rodgers, who some call the best quarterback to ever play the game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a huge Ted fan, although I'm not looking to get rid of him either (unless it is to keep our next GM prospect from leaving, like say Wolf). But if the team Ted put together can't perform without Rodgers, it does make some sort of statement, doesn't it? Someone here said that this shows that Ted's success comes largely from having Rodgers fall into his lap in the draft, and at this point that's hard to argue.

A very interesting question. I suspect it is actually probably fairly common. But add in the fact that the GM has been drafting to improve the defense for years. Plus this team needs a good defense to take advantage of the window that it has Rodgers, who some call the best quarterback to ever play the game.
I disagree that the whole team is bad without Rodgers... but it needs at least an average QB. At this point that is not Hundley. Several people have given the Vikings as an example of a team that is doing ok after having lost its starter.... well that team is built on it's defense. The Vikings offense has managed to do just enough as long as the defense performs as expected. The Packers are built around the offense... you need an effective QB. Now most of us agree that the Packers defense is lacking. Frankly if you want to accuse Thompson and McCarthy of bad decisions ... I would say it is in the area of keeping Capers ... and not addressing the backup QB position adequately. I think the rest of the offense is above average.... and the defense has many promising players. The devensive scheme on the other hand is highly suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts